Random Notes, Navigator, Montreal-Miami, LIVE

Mr Rumor

Thanks, Gilly, for your kinds words--glad you're along for the ride. Rachel, I'm happy to report that my wife's calming stomach coincided with the calming seas outside New York harbor. We were among the hundreds on deck for the exciting sail-in. We had lunch on deck, as the Regent orchestra serenaded the ship into our primo berth at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (we're sandwiched between the AIDA Bella and Crystal Symphony). Couldn't help but feel a jolt of, yes, joy! when the guys launched into a rousing "New York, "New York" as we sailed by a portion of the Manhattan skyline.

I lost a previous version of this post, so will keep this post short. More to come, but may have to wait until after we sail at 6 p.m. today. The friends we hosted for dinner in a very quiet Compass Rose last night are picking us up in about a half an hour and sharing with us some of their favorite slices of the Big Apple. Stay tuned!

Rich

Our friends will be delayed about a half an hour, so will try to finish up for now.

Our afternoon tour yesterday, New York by Land and Sea, began with a 50-minute-or-so harbor cruise, with commentary, aboard the three-level Zephyr. The weather was so unseasonably mild--would you believe in the 70s and partly cloudy--that we opted for the benches on top. The highlight, of course, was our lingering pass by the Statue of Liberty, which we also passed on our sail-in, but from farther away.

Next up was our 90-minute "scenic drive" through what turned out to be the teeth of Manhattan's Friday rush-hour traffic. The adventure in rush-hour navigation mainly along Sixth Avenue was trying for some passengers--one remarked with stricken expression afterwards that she felt "so depleted" by the drive--but we found ourselves getting lost in the sights and sounds of this one of a kind city, and enjoying ourselves. That said, we wouldn't want to do that same drive again anytime soon on a weekday!

Rich

Rich,

Sailing in/out of New York is always a treat, no matter how many time you do it.

New York traffic is never fun and when there is something going on - most of the time - it's worse. The Marathon is Sunday. And Friday is the worst.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the City . . . .

I'll try to watch the sail away on the NY Harbor Cam . . . .

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Check out the video of your arrival on YouTube!

Wish I could, Rachel, but with the ship's slower connection, I'm unable to download the video. Will check it out soon!

We got back shortly before 5 p.m. after a great day exploring portions of Manhattan on foot with our friends from New Jersey, with lunch at a favorite Chinese restaurant of theirs that dates back to the '30s. Weather couldn't have been more beautiful, in the '60s and partly to mostly sunny.

But we're pooped now. Shauna is already napping and I'm thinking of an early evening nap myself. But how can I afford to miss the sailaway? Dilemma!

Rich

I'm watching the web cam for NY Harbor but the ship hasn't gotten to the area where it is located (the buildings at the bottom end of Manhattan).

The little blue icons on the map do not seem to be working for cruise ships - there are no ships at the docks which we know is not the case. I like watching the progress down river but not today, I guess.

I know the Symphony isn't leaving till midnight so the Navigator will be the only lit up ship leaving at this time, I guess.

Peggy

Finally!

6:22; The blue boat icon is sailing down river at 9+ knots. Just crossed over the Lincoln Tunnel

TahoeTraveler: I'm not sure we'll see the Statue of Liberty - it's on the New Jersey side but we still will see lots!

6:33: just passing over the Holland Tunnel sailing at 10knots.

Still can't see the lights . . .

here's the URL: http://nyharborwebcam.com/

I'm just seeing the Navigator lit up just now, passing the buildings - clearly there is a delay in the camera images being broadcast since the icon is past the end of Manhattan and closing in on the Bridge.

Anyway, have a great rest of your cruise everyone!

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

TahoeTraveler, I made a snap decision to forego rest. I removed my battery charger from the charging unit, put it back in the camera, grabbed a jacket and went outside for the sailaway. Glad I did, as I was one of the dozens out there taking in the glorious views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty in the early evening (meanwhile, Ginny, photographed Lady Liberty from the comfort of our balcony, as Shauna slept).

Afterwards I returned for that nap. We missed dinner, but were well rested for the Ryan troupe's final show, "Piano Men," a tribute to the music of Elton John and Billy Joel. This production is a great vehicle for lead male vocalist Drew Pournelle, one of our favorite Regent singers over the last four years. But we savored the entire troupe's performance, knowing we may never see them perform together again--they are a really talented bunch. (Learned from lead specialty artist Prudence that she and her partner Aaron will be moving over the Mariner next March along with dancer/singer Matthew.)

The day has started very peacefully at sea. Skies are partly cloudy. We are still operating on Daylight Savings Time today, with clocks being turned back one hour when we hit the hay tonight.

Rich

P.S. Peggy, glad you could view the Navigator's sailaway. We are happy to have two sea days plus the overnight in Charleston to kind of "stretch out" the end of what has been another wonderful Regent cruise.

My daughter and I are happy as clams sitting out on the Pool Deck on this sunny, lovely late morning (DW just joined us). I wonder how many Regent cruises feature such a wide range of high temperatures? In a couple of ports, we were lucky to hit highs of about 45 degrees. Today we'll be in the 70s and a few people are doing laps just above us.

I've been meaning to share some more numbers. According to cruise consultant Mike, there are 600,000 Seven Seas Society members (folks who have taken at least one Regent cruise) around the world. Of that number, only 400 have the Titanium rank (at least 400 nights sailed). We have six Titanium members on this cruise, along with 36 Platinum (199 nights, I think) and 84 Gold (75).

Regent's most traveled SSS member? The Captain on Deck 6, of course. He marked his 3,000th night aboard a Regent ship this past summer. I hope he is feeling as hale and hearty as he looks.

Rich

Have to live up to the title of this blog, so here is a real Random Note:

Ruan at the Reception Desk was very interested to see the brand-new and newly designed $100 bill I brought to exchange for five 20s. It was only the second one that the Navigator had received, he said. As we were critiquing the design he mentioned that Regent has a policy of checking every $100 or $50 bill, to make sure none is counterfeit. They use a pen called, appropriately enough, the Counterfeit Detector Pen, made by a company called Dri-Mark. Ruan proceeded to make three small orange-y with the pen on a portion of the $100 bill, explaining that if the marks fade or disappear within a period of time, the bill is indeed genuine. I have not heard back from Reception, so assume it is!

We're still at our spot on the Pool Deck. The Tex-Mex buffet is starting now. I've been eyeing the row of sombreros atop the buffet station, thinking how fun one would look atop Shauna's head. Would definitely get a rise out of her, and I have my camera handy. . .

Rich

TahoeTraveler, I made a snap decision to forego rest. I removed my battery charger from the charging unit, put it back in the camera, grabbed a jacket and went outside for the sailaway. Glad I did, as I was one of the dozens out there taking in the glorious views of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty in the early evening (meanwhile, Ginny, photographed Lady Liberty from the comfort of our balcony, as Shauna slept).

Afterwards I returned for that nap. We missed dinner, but were well rested for the Ryan troupe's final show, "Piano Men," a tribute to the music of Elton John and Billy Joel. This production is a great vehicle for lead male vocalist Drew Pournelle, one of our favorite Regent singers over the last four years. But we savored the entire troupe's performance, knowing we may never see them perform together again--they are a really talented bunch. (Learned from lead specialty artist Prudence that she and her partner Aaron will be moving over the Mariner next March along with dancer/singer Matthew.)

The day has started very peacefully at sea. Skies are partly cloudy. We are still operating on Daylight Savings Time today, with clocks being turned back one hour when we hit the hay tonight.

Rich

P.S. Peggy, glad you could view the Navigator's sailaway. We are happy to have two sea days plus the overnight in Charleston to kind of "stretch out" the end of what has been another wonderful Regent cruise.

I am so glad you were able to delay the nap and see the gorgeous Manhattan skyline, Rich. It really is stunning. And I'm also glad to hear that Aaron and Matt are being moved to the Mariner together...they are actually married to each other (Drew and the male ballroom dancer are a couple as well). Obviously Regent is very accommodating to all their employees and contract workers.

Rich:

Sorry I missed watching your sailaway from Manhattan. Sounds like it must have been incredible. Although we live in near Miami, NYC is where my heart is. I notice that you are currently off the coast of North Carolina sailing at 17 knots. If you have not been to Charleston, you are in for a treat tomorrow and I hope you make it to my alma mater, The Citadel. Regardless, it's as beautiful, mysterious, and wonderful as Pat Conroy paints it in his books. I think your DD would enjoy walking along the Battery and its views of Ft. Sumter and please make sure you try some of the local food.

Love your postings on numbers and stats. Enjoy the rest of your cruise and please keep posting!!!:D

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Z and TB, we are excited to be visiting Charleston for the first time. As you probably know, Charleston ranks as the most popular U.S. city to visit in the latest Conde Nast Traveler's readers poll (our hometown, Santa Fe, is No. 2). We dock in the a.m. tomorrow, so we'll have the morning to explore on foot before our afternoon tour. As our tour happens to be Fort Sumter and the Civil War in Charleston, a walk along the Battery with its view of the fort sounds like a good plan. We should also have time to walk around on Tuesday, after our Magnolia Gardens tour. Any cafe suggestions, or menu items that are a must-try?

Rich

Z and TB, we are excited to be visiting Charleston for the first time. As you probably know, Charleston ranks as the most popular U.S. city to visit in the latest Conde Nast Traveler's readers poll (our hometown, Santa Fe, is No. 2). We dock in the a.m. tomorrow, so we'll have the morning to explore on foot before our afternoon tour. As our tour happens to be Fort Sumter and the Civil War in Charleston, a walk along the Battery with its view of the fort sounds like a good plan. We should also have time to walk around on Tuesday, after our Magnolia Gardens tour. Any cafe suggestions, or menu items that are a must-try?

Rich

Walking distance from Charleston Port: I love the East Bay Meeting House and Cafe; Magnolias; and Saffron Cafe & Bakery (Red Velvet cake:D). You can't go wrong with with seafood such as shrimp and grits, she-crab soup, or the incredible steamed oysters. Go extra local and have some corn bread in Charleston.

Squeeze (like my nickname) is supposed to be good for a drink although I've never been there.

Also, please make sure you see the old slave market while in Charleston.

Heading north out of the market's east side (closest to the water) is the definition of a serious hole in the wall: Big John's Tavern, where I consumed many a beers as a cadet at The Citadel. I only mention it if you are brave of heart and stout of courage because it is definitely not for everyone.

Walk along Meeting Street and meander south of Broad Street to see all the old mansions. Of note is the Calhoun House and 2 Meeting Street. On the southern end of East Bay Street and just north of Tradd Street is Rainbow Row (multi-colored homes), which I think your daughter would like. Look south towards where the Ashley and the Cooper Rivers meet and you'll see the spot where The Boss (TB) and I got engaged in the summer of 1982 (ouch:eek:).

Anyways, Charleston is a food lover's paradise and full of culture, characters, and old southern charm. Whatever you do or wherever you go will be a great experience in this wonderful city.

Z and TB

Z and TB, thanks for taking the time to post such a great list of Charleston tips--every bit as helpful as the page of Charleston highlights in tomorrow's Passages. I've printed it out, and will take it with us when we tour and walk around on our own.

Hi, Tina--good to hear form you, and hope you, your husband and dear mom are doing well. Wish we could cruise next April, as the Mariner itineraries look great, but we have a road trip planned at that time.

Had another wonderful evening, this one consisting of dinner with dancers Matthew and Gemma in Compass Rose, followed by the Ray's always crowd-pleasing (standing O at the end) show in the Seven Seas Lounge. As we anticipated, Shauna was captivated by Ray's puppetry.

That's it for now. Looking forward to a good night's sleep, as we intend to make the most of our two days in "America's Most Friendly City." We're due to dock at 9.

Rich

An update to Z and TB's posting from the Crystal Board . . . the Symphony is on their way to Charlston.

>>I live there and Big Johns just closed its doors. There is no East Bay Meeting house any more. Great lunches on East Bay Street, walking distance to ship: S.N.O.B (Slightly North Of Broad), good seafood at Amen Street and Fleet Landing, Blossoms is fun, try the flounder at Magnolia's, the crab cake sandwich at Grill 225 (in the Market Pavilion Hotel); good Greek sandwiches at Taziki across from the Apple store on King Street, Husk is famous farm to table but reservations are essential - on Queen Street between Meeting and King, Carolina's on Exchange Street. All walkable from the ship. A few places in upper King area are 39 Rue de Jean, surprisingly at 39 John Street, Virginia's. Palmetto Grill in Charleston Place is elegant. Pizza on East Bay can be had at South End Brewery. Something new just opened on Cumberland and I don't even know the name but it's very close to the port. Aren't we lucky to live here?

Nathaniel Russell House on Meeting is probably the best "old house" museum. Walk around the historic district. Take a carriage ride (but don't believe everything they tell you!)

The Provost Dungeon is very interesting. And if you've been there before and want something totally different, get the concierge to book a Gullah tour for you!<<

Peggy, I'm sure glad I decided to check the thread this morning--thanks for cutting and pasting this helpful post from a resident. Have written down many of the restaurant names in my handy little pocket notebook that I take everywhere with me.

DW agrees with me that we should have a late breakfast/early lunch in town before we meet at the pier at 12:40 for our tour.

Rich

We had a great meal at McCrady's in Charleston. Excellent dark atmosphere and not noisy so as to interfere with conversation. George Washington frequented McCrady's Tavern upstairs, which is used for private parties but viewable by restaurant patrons. Highly recommended. And if you enjoy drinking Manhattans, theirs is the best we've ever tasted, with homemade macerated cherries soaked in boubon,

Edited by JPR