Diamond Drinks Trial?

New to cruise critic not sure how these roll calls work. My husband, son and myself are going to be going on the independence on Jan. 18. We are both diamond almost diamond plus members with rccl. This seems like a great way to connect and meet with fellow cruisers:-)

I have to comment... As a diamond plus member and a mother of a 3 year old child who's also a diamond plus member and usually a suite guest.

1. I thought that you were Diamond? Wow, what a memory.

2. On Oasis/Allure, that second level is used for the Chef's Table.

3. The only children who are not welcome are the same as adults who are not welcome: Those who do not behave appropriately in company.

You Go GURL!:)

Oh no she di'int!;)

We had the voucher system on our Celebrity cruise last year. It worked out wonderful. We have late seating so we would stay in the pool area and have a drink before getting ready for dinner. I hope it is in effect for our February cruise although we do love the Concierge Lounge aboard the Allure.

I have a couple of questions, which I hope may someday be answered...

1. The quote the OP posted only mentioned the DL, not the CL. Will this will apply to both if this happens fleet wide?

2. If you are both D/D+ and in a Suite, will you get two set of coupons on your seapass if they do this? One can hope...

Edited by Sassy19305

We have two friends (both D+couples) onboard the Indy and one has sent an email to me with information w/r to the "trial".

Here are excerpts from today's email:

" I thought I would write a quick e-mail to let you know how the drinks fiasco is going....... basically what's happened is that the Diamond members are using the Olive or Twist as their overflow lounge (in the past it was always the overflow for Diamond plus, Pinnacles and Suites). They have wedged open the door of the diamond lounge, people queue for their drinks then take them to their seats. All the hot and cold canapes are in the olive or twist so anyone on the ship can eat them and in fact no one asks to see your card so they can in effect get drinks for anyone ....... If you arent in concierge by 4.15 pm (or diamond lounge), you won't get a seat. Its been bedlam. Anyway, the hotel director had a big pow wow with Miami yesterday afternoon and came up to tell us all the results of the meeting. As a help, miami has said that the Cloud 9 and card room will be opened for diamond plus and pinnacles as an overflow. Howefer, miami want the trial to continue til the end of the cruise just to get more data. The bottom line is, the loyalty programme is costing them too much so they are looking for a solution. Believe me, we have all made our views known. Its now up to everyone to 'lobby' Adam Goldstein and crown and anchor to ensure they know we arent happy."

So far the information, I cannot answer any related questions-sorry.

Edited by christi1805

The other friend on board the "Indytrial of the Seas" (D+ as well) has summoned it up so far:

"3 November post date:

Hotels Director

Just been talking to a guest who was speaking to the hotel director last night and he reckons that the company can't maintain these Diamond benefits.

Which just confirms that it's a cost cutting exercise on behalf of the company. There is a staff meeting about the trial at 11.45 this morning.

Still 3 November post date:

Last night in the concierge lounge most of our group managed to get a seat, but it was heaving and lots of people couldn't get in. We saw suite guests complaining, as they had nowhere else to go for their free drinks. Lots of diamond plus and pinnacle also couldn't get in. The diamond lounge on deck 14 was worse with the olive and twist lounge packed with people complaining. Even the barxxxxx said he was overrun and the "trial" wasn't working. There will be a lot of people complaining at the pursers desk tomorrow.......

5 November post date:

A bit better

The concierge lounge last night although full, was much better than the previous night.

But most people are still not happy. We found the outcome of the management's meeting, and it was to carry on with the trial, as they said most of the feedback was positive. No one believed this and we asked for the hotel director to come and see us all in the concierge lounge. A couple of guests talked with him, but got the usual waffle about it being for our benefit and that it was an enhancement to our Crown and Anchor entitlements. I got to have a chat with him on my own and I asked him about the 'positive' feedback he'd received, and he did admit that it was only a couple of positives, but they needed to let the trial continue at least a little longer................ Tonight xxxxxx and i are going to give the concierge lounge a miss and try the Diamond lounge, which is our favourite lounge anyway. Also in the Diamond lounge you don't find people as concerned about cruise points and trying to outdo each other with how many points they've got and how many cruises they've done as you do in the concierge.

Still 5 November post date

Things have calmed down

Things have calmed down inside and outside. The sea is like a mill pond, and even the Diamond lounge, things have calmed down.

We were able to get seats in the Olive and Twist bar and bring our drinks out of the diamond lounge, although we did have to queue for them.

We did have a more pleasant evening than down in the concierge lounge, where the main topic of conversation seems to be how many points you have and how many more cruises you've done than anybody else.

7 November post date

It looks like a done deal

Things have have settled down in the diamond lounge of an evening. People seem to have accepted the so called trial, and quietly queue for their drinks. So to me it looksl like a done deal that this is the way it's going to be on all ships in the future.

I'm sure this fall of in complaints from the passengers was expected by the cruise line.

Also I think that this is the lead up to Diamond plus being moved out of the concierge lounge and up to the Diamond lounge and the diamonds moved out of the diamond lounge and having to use the three drinks on their seapass around the ship, just my opinion.

Bottom line question is:

If you have used all 3 of your drink coupons say at 6:30pm on that day in a bar, can you then go to the D or D+ lounge and get a few more drinks during happy hour gratis?

Can anyone answer this question?

We truly are almost diamond plus just a slight exaggeration to make a point. I did not realize making a point and upping status by 25 cruise points would be such a big deal. I never would have thought somebody would be so offended. I go on cruise critic to meet new people and get info. Not to get into any confrontations or to upset anybody.

The other friend on board the "Indytrial of the Seas" (D+ as well) has summoned it up so far:

"3 November post date:

Hotels Director

Just been talking to a guest who was speaking to the hotel director last night and he reckons that the company can't maintain these Diamond benefits. Just as I suspected and no surprise to me for RCI to put a limit on the free drinks allowed per passenger.

Which just confirms that it's a cost cutting exercise on behalf of the company. There is a staff meeting about the trial at 11.45 this morning.

Also I think that this is the lead up to Diamond plus being moved out of the concierge lounge and up to the Diamond lounge and the diamonds moved out of the diamond lounge and having to use the three drinks on their seapass around the ship, just my opinion.

Again just as suspected and the reason Diamond lounges are being installed on all ships during revitalization, but once this is complete, these will be for Diamond+ only. Doesn't bother me, there are plenty of bars for us Diamond members to "spend" our 3 drink vouchers. Obviously there'll be no canapés for us, but then again that's good for the waistline :D

The screwing of Diamond members continues. My Spouse and I will be Diamond members after the conclusion of 2013 (We have a 12/15 cruise that will make us Diamond). Was looking forward to an additional space to utilize for breakfast. Spouse does not drink but was looking forward to coffees offered in DL.

Next year not only do we have a 10 day booked, but I booked another cruise and paid for 3 cabins for family members. Now as a Diamond I most likely won't be able to use the lounge with the Diamond Plus members I am paying for.

It's not just free drinks being taken away, it is use of an entire venue along with other associated perks that I've spent many years paying and climbing the ladder for. I always paid more because I wanted more; alas the Carnivalization of RCI continues.

Edited by LMaxwell

The screwing of Diamond members continues. My Spouse and I will be Diamond members after the conclusion of 2013 (We have a 12/15 cruise that will make us Diamond). Was looking forward to an additional space to utilize for breakfast. Spouse does not drink but was looking forward to coffees offered in DL.

Next year not only do we have a 10 day booked, but I booked another cruise and paid for 3 cabins for family members. Now as a Diamond I most likely won't be able to use the lounge with the Diamond Plus members I am paying for.

It's not just free drinks being taken away, it is use of an entire venue along with other associated perks that I've spent many years paying and climbing the ladder for. I always paid more because I wanted more; alas the Carnivalization of RCI continues.

Hopefully this won't extend to the D+ group.

You paid for your own cruises when you were a kid?

You paid for your own cruises when you were a kid?

No, I didn't pay my own way when I was 7 years old, unless washing cars and mowing lawns counts. I don't particularly care who has paid for what portion of your cruise fare. As a return of my gratitude I now am paying for my folks that paid for me, as well as paying for others who otherwise would probably not be able to afford to go with us. Just like I didn't pay for my meals when I was a child; I now get to enjoy the fruits of my labors and efforts by treating those that paid for me; they will be over tomorrow evening for a giant dinner feast. Would you care to join us? I won't be keeping tabs over who paid for what.

Isn't there a 20 year old Pinnacle member? Sure they never spent a dime of their own money; doesn't mean I feel like they would deserve to lose benefits that had been earned in their name.

Regardless, many thousands of dollars of my own money have been spent as I watch the loyalty rewards be diminished and watered down. I'm calling it like I see it. This isn't a promotion or enhancement, it's just a cost saving measure at the expense of perks being taken away.

Edited by LMaxwell

Don't be so bitter. Things always change so you better get used to it.:rolleyes:

Don't be so bitter. Things always change so you better get used to it.:rolleyes:

Not bitter, just calling it like it is. Diamond members are getting the shaft, just like when they were booted from the CL years ago. That's my opinion.

Edit: FLACRUISER99; I will be on the revitalized Vision this week and will share photos. I will be on Legend next year and look forward to getting some input now that she is back stateside. Your B2B looks awesome, I hope you will share your opinions and any photos afterwards; be sure to look me up for photos of Vision. Have a great cruise.

Edited by LMaxwell

No, I didn't pay my own way when I was 7 years old, unless washing cars and mowing lawns counts. I don't particularly care who has paid for what portion of your cruise fare. As a return of my gratitude I now am paying for my folks that paid for me, as well as paying for others who otherwise would probably not be able to afford to go with us. Just like I didn't pay for my meals when I was a child; I now get to enjoy the fruits of my labors and efforts by treating those that paid for me; they will be over tomorrow evening for a giant dinner feast. Would you care to join us? I won't be keeping tabs over who paid for what.

Isn't there a 20 year old Pinnacle member? Sure they never spent a dime of their own money; doesn't mean I feel like they would deserve to lose benefits that had been earned in their name.

Regardless, many thousands of dollars of my own money have been spent as I watch the loyalty rewards be diminished and watered down. I'm calling it like I see it. This isn't a promotion or enhancement, it's just a cost saving measure at the expense of perks being taken away.

You said said you spent years paying and climbing the ladder for diamond benefits which you actually "earned" as a child as you have posted in the past. You are complaining about not getting benefits that you didn't earn and don't even have yet because you haven't become diamond yet. Seems kind of bizarre to me.

If loyalty benefits are so important and you don't like what Royal Caribbean is doing, start earning points with a cruiseline that meets your needs. There is no point in staying with a company that met your parents needs and not yours.

You said said you spent years paying and climbing the ladder for diamond benefits which you actually "earned" as a child as you have posted in the past. You are complaining about not getting benefits that you didn't earn and don't even have yet because you haven't become diamond yet. Seems kind of bizarre to me.

If loyalty benefits are so important and you don't like what Royal Caribbean is doing, start earning points with a cruiseline that meets your needs. There is no point in staying with a company that met your parents needs and not yours.

You are under the impression that I never paid my way. I clearly responded to this above, although for the life of me I don't know why you have that impression and make wild assertions that, frankly, are rude, unwarranted, and flat out wrong. Did you miss where I said *I* have spent thousands of dollars of my own money?

When you come over for dinner feel free to audit my records. Hope you like seafood :)

You are under the impression that I never paid my way. I clearly responded to this above, although for the life of me I don't know why you have that impression and make wild assertions that, frankly, are rude, unwarranted, and flat out wrong. Did you miss where I said *I* have spent thousands of dollars of my own money?

When you come over for dinner feel free to audit my records. Hope you like seafood :)

I never said you didn't pay your way ever and thanks, but I already have dinner plans.

As far as auditing your records, I do hope you have and understand how your points work. Hopefully, you know what points you have earned from your actual sailings because that can factor into when you actually will turn diamond.

I never said you didn't pay your way ever and thanks, but I already have dinner plans.

As far as auditing your records, I do hope you have and understand how your points work. Hopefully, you know what points you have earned from your actual sailings because that can factor into when you actually will turn diamond.

You said that very thing just a few minutes earlier. Please don't claim you didn't say it. "You said said you spent years paying and climbing the ladder for diamond benefits which you actually "earned" as a child as you have posted in the past. " I have never said such a thing. Maybe you have me honestly confused with another poster. I can excuse honest mistakes. But continuing to be wrong after being told the facts is just being ignorant / belligerent. I'll choose to give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply have my confused with someone else though.

Like I said above, I will reach the Diamond threshold reached AFTER my 12/15 cruise this year is complete, meaning I will not have Diamond member benefits during that cruise, but I will on subsequent future cruises. I have confirmed this information with C&A as well.

Back on topic: The moment I read about this voucher program I felt like it would be a reduction in benefits to Diamond members. For years any time there was something being taken away it seems to have come from Diamond members. I don't need to BE a diamond member to call it like it is.

Hopefully this is an additional benefit (the ability to have cocktails in multiple locations). Hopefully I am WRONG about a reduction in benefits. But it is my instinct and opinion based on past experiences telling me otherwise.

If I am wrong we can meet in the DL; first drink on me. If I am right, pick another bar, first drink on me. Sounds like a reasonable solution to me:D

I certainly understand your feeling, but the Crown and Anchor Society is not a society at all but rather a very successful marketing plan. Perhaps too successful. RCCL has always reserved the right to change their loyalty program and did so a few years ago when the ranks of D members swelled to the point of over crowding the CL. It seems that a similar situations is happening again, on many ships, and to anticipate another change appears logical.

One observation. On most sailings, I don't believe that there are enough suite guests and pinnacle members to support the Concierge Lounges. Especially those on the Oasis class and the redesigned lounges on the Radiance class ships. So perhaps RCCL's will revisit the idea of installing new levels between D+ and P and extend concierge privilege to those levels. At any rate I agree with you it is the D members who will lose some benefits but it is probably a choice the cruise line will eventually have to make.

I certainly understand your feeling, but the Crown and Anchor Society is not a society at all but rather a very successful marketing plan. Perhaps too successful. RCCL has always reserved the right to change their loyalty program and did so a few years ago when the ranks of D members swelled to the point of over crowding the CL. It seems that a similar situations is happening again, on many ships, and to anticipate another change appears logical.

One observation. On most sailings, I don't believe that there are enough suite guests and pinnacle members to support the Concierge Lounges. Especially those on the Oasis class and the redesigned lounges on the Radiance class ships. So perhaps RCCL's will revisit the idea of installing new levels between D+ and P and extend concierge privilege to those levels. At any rate I agree with you it is the D members who will lose some benefits but it is probably a choice the cruise line will eventually have to make.

If they boot D+ out of the CL, then the D+ members also will lose something. I figure that is inevitable. They kicked the D members out just before we made D, and we will make D+ in March. :rolleyes: :) I still love Royal.

If they boot D+ out of the CL, then the D+ members also will lose something. I figure that is inevitable. They kicked the D members out just before we made D, and we will make D+ in March. :rolleyes: :) I still love Royal.

Perhaps not, if the Diamond Lounge becomes the D+ lounge. If you've been in he CL's on the Oasis class or revamped Radiance class ships I don't see how the suite guests and P's could fill a significant portion of those lounges. Suspect D+ will be welcome in either lounge or a new level(s) between D+ and P will become reality.

I am amazed that RCCL has provided so much to those in the various categories. It is a very generous program. 40 nights (in a JS or higher) and one is Diamond. Six cruises, fewer if they are longer than 7 nights or if one sails solo is all it takes.

It appears that the majority of issues surround the free drinks. From reading these posts it seems that many want to get the most from this benefit and are complaining that X drinks are not enough. What should it be? I have said I am not a CL or DL police and don’t care ( nor do I know) how much one drinks or how long they stay in the lounge, but perhaps if folks treated the perk with restraint, there might not be such an issue.

I appears from what I read, the folks are complaining that 3 drinks are not enough or that they will drink all three voucher drinks by early evening and then go and then sit and suck up more drinks in the CL or DL. Really?

I wonder when RCCL offered a free cocktail hour(s) to the passengers if they had any idea that folks might camp out in a lounge for 3 or more hours and consume all they can. I recall more than once, the welcome letter recommended we only visit the lounge for evening cocktails with a short time span to coincide with our dinner schedule.

As one who frequents the DL or CL ( most every day) for morning coffee , continental breakfast and an afternoon latte, I can tell you that the place is EMPTY. We are often the only ones there.

Now – just a scary thought, if RCCL takes on Celebrity Elite practices ( as they seem to have done with the vouchers) , the Celebrity Elite Cocktail hours is (only) TWO hours ( 5-7 each night) and EXCLUDES the first cruise night as well as the night of a special Elite Officers party. Imagine the uproar if RCCL decides to shorten the time span?

I find it so interesting that so many are complaining about the benefit. It seems to be a lose/lose for RCCL. They provide an expensive fleet wide benefit (lose) and folks still complain (lose). If they provided nothing – then there would be nothing to complain about! Be careful about how you complain. Remember all the complaints about the welcome back gifts... well RCCL found a way to stop the bad mouthing.

M