Accomodating Special Diets

Sammigar

Our very first cruise is just over 100 days away and I started to think about how meals will work. We'll be on the Constellation. Aqua Class and Blu are not economic realities for us. We'll be eating the food that's included in the cruise fare. That said, I eat very clean - meaning no processed food, especially white carbs, no gravies or sauces or anything that adds a lot of sodium to my foods. Due to an allergy, I also do not drink cow's milk or cheese or yogurt made from cow's milk.

I therefore have concerns about being able to maintain an acceptable diet on board. I'm confident that fresh fruits and garden salads will be plentiful, but rather concerned about protein options. I would love to know there's the ability to order a white omlette made with goat cheese for breakfast, a garden salad with grilled chicken breast (not deli meat) for lunch and a dinner protein that is simply seasoned (without salt).

Are any of you seasoned cruisers also clean eaters that have found acceptable protein options in the main cruise fare?

the omelette with goat cheese might be a problem. I have seen goat cheese occasionally but not sure that it's something they would have easily accessible every day.

Egg white omelettes are available every day.

The garden salad with grilled chicken breast should be do-able at the buffet although not guaranteed. The salad is easy, the grilled chicken breast may take a little more searching. Aqua Spa cafe did have this as an option but recent reports indicate that it might have been discontinued. Check it out, however, as this is a no-extra-cost venue.

A no-added salt chicken breast should also be possible at dinner.

Soy milk is available on board, if that helps.

Cruisestitch's advice is excellent.

I just want to add that you might want to call Celebrity Special Needs and discuss with them. Also, once on board, speak with the Maitre'd. Usually if the staff is aware of your dietary needs, you should be able to eat according to your requirements. I have a friend with Celiac's and she cruises all the time with no problem but she plans ahead by speaking with the appropriate people.

I also think - and I may be mistaken - that the menu usually will state if foods are gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, healthy option, etc.

Enjoy your cruise

you need to contact the line ahead of time and have your allergies and dietary requirements noted before you board. there is a LOT of sodium in the MDR and buffet food.. ALL of it. they do make low and no sodium meals but you either have to order them the night before or they are prepackaged.

you need to contact the line ahead of time and have your allergies and dietary requirements noted before you board. there is a LOT of sodium in the MDR and buffet food.. ALL of it. they do make low and no sodium meals but you either have to order them the night before or they are prepackaged.

Contact the Guests with Disabilities /Special Needs department at 1-866-592-7225

Hi,

I was on Silhouette in the summer, I am a very strict vegetarian which in practice on holiday means I am virtually vegan and I have a number of food allergies some of which are life threatening; I should imagine I am pretty much a dining rooms worst nightmare. My family and I did travel in Aqua Class but actually some nights my food came from the MDR or buffet. I got in touch with Celebrity in advance but I found their response not particularly reassuring however my experience was that the staff worked very hard to accommodate my needs.

Our maître 'd' said that he would have appreciated a clear written description of what I could and could not eat which I would certainly make sure I supplied on any future cruise. I went to find and speak to our maître 'd' pretty much as soon as we got on the ship, which I think is the best idea. On the first night it might be a little bit more difficult for the kitchen staff to satisfy all your requirements; there was a wonderful salad selection in the buffet and I know you can get simple grilled meat; I'm sure you won't starve for one night. The arrangement I had was that I was given the following days menu after each evening meal and I was able to discuss an alternative if nothing was suitable for me.

I had the best culinary experience of any holiday I have had but I did try not to be too difficult or demanding. On the very few occasions things were not completely perfect it helped me to remember: a) that the kitchen and restaurant staff were trying very hard to please me. b) I am one tricky customer.

I hope you have a great holiday.

Karen

Follow PinkUK's advise it's spot on. My wife also follows a very strict diet and we do what PinkUK suggest. We do contact special services prior to boarding but generally that doesn't get to the right people onboard. First stop is to see the maître 'd'. They should be setup and available somewhere around the entrance of the MDR on embarkation. Bring multiple copies of what you can/can't eat, including suggestions on what you like to eat. The maître 'd' will want a copy then, but also bring a couple to dinner with you the first night as well. You will probably have a different asst maître 'd' serving your area.

When in doubt about something you are served either in the MDR or Buffet ask for the maître 'd', they will get you the right answer.

We continue to sail Celebrity exclusively just because we know they can satisfy her diet.

My wife has a very particular diet. She only eats salads, steamed veggies, fruit, and certain proteins. No fats, oils, or dairy. We have let cruise lines know this before, but we always find that once on board, no one has a clue what is going on. We always talk to the maitre'd, but there can be a language barrier and sometimes things get lost in translation. I will be sending an email to Celebrity dining prior to our upcoming sailing, and taking several copies on board to provide to the maitre'd, head waiter, waiters, etc. that way it is all in writing and we have proof of telling them ahead of time. Bottom line - my wife always does just fine, and I'm sure you will as well. Enjoy!!

Thank you all so much for the very helpful suggestions. I will definitely call Celeberity and definitely make that list and take copies to give to the maitre'd. It's a big relief to know that they have accommodated others who also have diets a bit outside the norm. Thank you all!

We have cruised CC, Aqua and balcony cabins on X. Booked again in October 2014 on the Silhouette. We have well over 10 cruises with X. We did not find Aqua class met our needs and have booked a balcony for our next cruise.

We prefer to eat mostly fish (no shell fish) or lean proteins and steam vegetables, without sauces. By speaking to the the Matre'd as suggested by some here you can make your needs known. The first night on board they can not make adjustments.

We have found staff did try to respond but results have been for us hit and miss in the MDR. Consequently, we find we do much better sticking with the buffet which is extensive on Celebrity, especially the new class of ships. There we can pick and choose and in some cases have fish or meat grilled in front of us. It is easy to make a salad from fresh food options.

What we usually do, enjoy a nice late lunch, we pick up what we like at the buffet and enjoy it on our balcony in our cabin. Later we skip dinner and simply dress and enjoy the evening entertainment on board. The lunch time buffet has a wonderful selection of options. Prefer it to the evening buffet, which typically has hot entree that model the MDR.

I have found by contacting Celebrity ahead of time and then speaking with the Maitre'D I haven't had any issues, in fact most times the staff has gone out of their way for me. I have severe citrus and oat allergies as well as eating gluten free (we eat very clean at home, something on vacation I know is tough). I'm impressed with Celebrity and know I will be again in January!

I have no food issues, but have had dinner companions who did (kosher, gluten free, no dairy and others). The asst. M'd came to the table every night before we left and worked out the menu for the next night. Not sure about other meals, but no one had any complaints. On our Aust/NZ cruise we sat with a Jewish couple whom we had met on a previous cruise. (They are practically neighbors of us at home--small world) They held a Friday service at our table on both of the Fridays. The staff provided the appropriate wine and unleavened bread and permitted use of the candles they brought. It was very nice.

My DD has a number of food allergies. We are taking the kids in a cruise me t summer, and before we booked we actually spoke with the MDR staff to discuss if they would be able to accommodate her needs. When I told them her issues (allergic to soy, rice, peanut, tree nut, melon, citrus and more) they told me that her meal choices might be somewhat limited, but that it was possible.

The every day classics menu always includes a grilled chicken that you can get plain, and a grilled salmon that you can get plain. You should be able to get the, low sodium.

I have numerous food allergies. I present the Matre Di a list of my allegies upon arrival. They generally give me the next day's menu the night before and we plan my meal for the next day. If they know in advance they can make substitutiions within reason.

This is our first time on Celebrity. Do I have to let them know prior to boarding?

Just wondering for those with experience w special diets, have you ever ventured out & requested room service? Or even take away?

I was hoping to enjoy our balcony -

We have notified X of my dietary requirements & are in AQ if that makes a difference.

Also, for those who cant have gluten, dairy or egg what has X been able to offer? Raw desserts?

Many thanks in advance!

Archived