Formal dress/fluffy

DJSchib

Hi ladies

First cruise and I am in need of formal dresses. What would be the best dress style for a fluffy woman? Would rather not do sleeveless. Any pictures or stores/websites to look at would be appreciated

Thanks

I leave tomorrow and got my dress at Dillard's. I wouldn't rule out sleeveless automatically-it can actually be more flattering than you might think. This time I actually let the associate pull dresses-some I turned down flat, but I tried a few I wouldn't have picked up wandering on my own. And ended up buying one of those!

They have quite a few on 40% and 65% clearance right now.

Edited by maxandmolly
Typos!

Try http://www.onestopplus.com/ , Macy's, and Dillard's. Catherine's has a few but not a huge selection of formal wear.

I can't even find fluffy dresses at Macy's. At least, not the one near me. Every time it go in there I leave disappointed.

Also, you could always comb through all the ink hoping for a jewel at Ross. They do have an extensive over size 14 dress section.

We don't have a Dillards store and our Macy's is on the small side, I might have to check the on online websites taking your measurements is that a pretty sure that that it will fit?

I bet I haven't worn sleeveless in 20 yrs. lol.

Thanks

Hi ladies

First cruise and I am in need of formal dresses. What would be the best dress style for a fluffy woman? Would rather not do sleeveless. Any pictures or stores/websites to look at would be appreciated

Thanks

What's a "fluffy" woman? Overweight and obese women are all shaped differently, so I'm not sure what the best style would be for you. Are you apple-shaped? Pear shaped? Hourglass shaped? Do you have good legs but a large belly? Flat or large rear? Long torso, or short torso?

There are as many shapes of overweight women as there are shapes of smaller women, and one style will not do well on them all. I'm in Canada so I don't think any of the shops or websites I look at would help you, but it's a real pet peeve of mine that fat or obese women are all the same physically - that fat (or "fluffy" if you like that euphemism) is the only description they get.

We don't have a Dillards store and our Macy's is on the small side, I might have to check the on online websites taking your measurements is that a pretty sure that that it will fit?

Thanks

I carry my weight in my stomach, in addition to being quite top heavy; I guess that's why sleeveless doesn't bother me. You may want to try Dillard's online if you have enough time before you sail. They carry a lot of Jessica Howard , which for ME, with a stomach but no hips, runs at least one size smaller than I buy in other clothes. Their other brands run fairly true to what I buy other pieces in, generally speaking. YMMV

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Edited by maxandmolly

That is how I carry mine as well MaxandMolly. All in stomach and bust. Loss some weight but that went off my legs and butt. I will try Jessica. Maybe I can find something. There is no Dillard's in Michigan and our city is small but fortunate to have a small. Macy's. Not much formal things sold there though

Thanks again for all the suggestions

Obese and overweight women (don't sugar-coat it with "fluffy" please, I say that as one who was overweight at one time) are able to wear just what every other woman can wear on a cruise - whatever you like and what you think you look good in. It doesn't have to be a dress - a long basic skirt with an embellished top is good. Some do the wide-legged "palazzo" pants with an embellished top. Some go for the cocktail dress or full-out ball gown. Just find something that you like and all will be good.

Edited by slidergirl

I am pretty sure I can sugar coat it the way I want since I am overweight but not obese. There are other threads referring to fluffy and I like it!! I can wear misses for my bottom half but still plus or fluffy for my top. I have been so excited to lose what i have weight-wise and can have some fun shopping again. Other people have given me "nice" suggestions and are very helpful without pulling apart the word fluffy. If you don't care for the term or want to deal with suggestions for a heavier person who is losing weight and eating healthier, then kindly do not respond to my post. For the others that have and are considerate, I very much appreciate it.

It was a simple post and I appreciate the people who have responded and are helpful. My first cruise so any suggestions are so helpful.

Thanks ladies

It was a simple post and I appreciate the people who have responded and are helpful. My first cruise so any suggestions are so helpful.

Thanks ladies

Hey there... I am "fluffy" as well and personally I love the term. ;)

I have found lots of dresses on ebay and amazon.com They seem to have a wide variety of dresses and I've had great luck. Also, I'm not big on showing my arms but have found some nice formal dresses that are sleeveless with a shawl. LOVE THOSE!

Good luck and enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks so much I will look at those sites. I have never purchased clothing items online so have been skeptical on doing so. Since I have read so many posts what great deals and beautiful dresses that were bought, the search is on

I am pretty sure I can sugar coat it the way I want since I am overweight but not obese. There are other threads referring to fluffy and I like it!! I can wear misses for my bottom half but still plus or fluffy for my top. I have been so excited to lose what i have weight-wise and can have some fun shopping again. Other people have given me "nice" suggestions and are very helpful without pulling apart the word fluffy. If you don't care for the term or want to deal with suggestions for a heavier person who is losing weight and eating healthier, then kindly do not respond to my post. For the others that have and are considerate, I very much appreciate it.

Thanks ladies

Ha, you sound EXACTLY like me! When I lost my weight (couple years ago now), I wound up a 12 or 14 on bottom and anywhere from a 14 to 20 on top, depending on the cut/style/brand. I haven't done well with JH in the past, but my current dress is here, a 14! A 16 would have been more comfy, but shape wear does amazing things. I liked it too much to pass it up. Just find something you're going to be comfortable in-if not physically, lol-at least with your new figure. I lost my weight fairly quickly (or that's how it seemed to me), it took my head a long time to catch up to what was in the mirror. Do what makes you feel right.

Because you wear a different size on top and bottom I would suggest seperates. Try some silk pants or a chiffon skirt on the bottom and some sort of satin, lace, or sequined top. If you have more than one dressy/formal night you can wear the bottoms again with a different top.

That is my size. I "was" a 16 pant but proud to say I bought a size 14 in one brand and a size 12 in another!! I was so excited. I have enjoyed not having to be totally in the women's/plus dept and can venture into misses now. My shirts or tops are typically size 16 or 0X or 1X. Because we are cruising in February and cruising in warmer climates, I have had to buy new things! Oh no!! Loving it. Would love to drop another 15 by February..need discipline over the holidays and take my walks from outside to a treadmill.

I plan on looking at those kind of pants as well duck. Thanks for that suggestion.

That is my size. I "was" a 16 pant but proud to say I bought a size 14 in one brand and a size 12 in another!! I was so excited. I have enjoyed not having to be totally in the women's/plus dept and can venture into misses now. My shirts or tops are typically size 16 or 0X or 1X. Because we are cruising in February and cruising in warmer climates, I have had to buy new things! Oh no!! Loving it. Would love to drop another 15 by February..need discipline over the holidays and take my walks from outside to a treadmill.

I plan on looking at those kind of pants as well duck. Thanks for that suggestion.

I don't know where you live, but you might want to look into a "mall walker" program. Many malls open as early as 6:00 am and allow "walkers" to come in and walk until they officially open at 10:00 am. Walking an hour at 5 mph will burn at least 500 calories, depending on your weight and BMI.

You bring up an interesting point about the disparity in women's sizing. It makes me crazy. I wear anything from a 2 to an 8 depending on the brand. I'm 5'6.5", not a "tall" by any means, but in many stores if I buy the proper waist size I have to go to a tall or the pants are too short. In other stores the length on a size 2 is perfect. I wish they would standardize things and toss "vanity sizing" out the window. Grrr.....

Husband and I have been mall walking this week at night. Early mornings are not an option since we live out of town 15 miles and with the weather change and snow flying, I can be a chicken driving in it. I work from my house so have gotten spoiled that I can stay home when the snowstorms hit.

Nice to walk it at night. The treadmill can get old fast

Thanks

Be sure to check your measurements carefully. When I first started bying online I found that the sizes were different than in the stores (such as a 1x in a store might be the same as a 2x at a plus size online retailer).

I am a different size on the top and bottom so most of my formal wear is separates. A sheath dress or empire waist are the only full length styles that work for me.

I like "fluffy" also and despise the "ob" word.

Thanks Scrapnana. I see nothing wrong with the word and can't figure out why I would get criticized for asking a simple question using the word fluffy

But it isn't a simple question. Asking what would be best for you and saying nothing about yourself other than you are "fluffy" isn't a simple question, it's a question with a lot of missing information. For all I know, a fluffy woman could look like Jessica Simpson, Adele, or even Roseanne Barr.

Bigger in the top, huh? If it's all in the cups, I find it helps to try dresses with a low v-neck and then have a little modesty piece put in later. I'm a bit short, so there is usually plenty of extra fabric from the hem.

Or there are specialty stores, like Pepperberry and Biu Biu. There aren't many formal gowns, but everything fits over the "women". Just remember that UK sizes are different...if you wear a 14, you'll likely need an 18.

But it isn't a simple question. Asking what would be best for you and saying nothing about yourself other than you are "fluffy" isn't a simple question, it's a question with a lot of missing information. For all I know, a fluffy woman could look like Jessica Simpson, Adele, or even Roseanne Barr.

Having seen it used somewhat regularly on this board, it's not a huge leap to assume it's a replacement for overweight/plus size. And those terms leave just as wide a range of possible sizes and shapes as fluffy does.

Edited by maxandmolly

I like the term fluffy as well. As a formerly fluffy lady I hated the "o" words since they had such a negative connotation. I was never in denial about my weight, but always liked terms that were more positive. Whatever words you like to use to describe yourself are the perfect words. I also like the word voluptuous. :D

Back on topic...I found this on Dillards and I think the shape would flatter your figure. Adrianna Papell makes very flattering dresses for all body shapes. The plus sizes tend to run true to size while the misses sizes run small for the most part.

http://www.dillards.com/product/Adrianna-Papell-Woman-Beaded-Waist-Gown_301_-1_301_502925228?df=03676214_zi_hunter

Lisa

1. fluffy

another word to describe a overweight person.

I personally like being refered to as fluffy... I think it can range from a 14 to a 22 or up......sounds better than obese..I think it would refer to anyone over a size 12 IMO

.. I find that sleeveless isn't bad you can wear a shrug or a scarf over your shoulders if you don't like the Wings...

Is there a Dressbarn near you...they have a decent selection Lord and taylor is pricey but sometimes their sales are great...

Hope you find something... and have a great trip