Formal dress/fluffy

DJSchib

As a "fluffy" woman I can recommend Dress Barn if you have one. They have a beautiful selection in plus sizes, especially this time of year (holiday time).

I've gone from a size 24 in January to a 16/18 now. I'm having a ball shopping now that I have more of a selection. I got a dress from Amazon in a fifties "pinup" style. I absolutely love it. It's very flattering for a fuller figure. The seller is Aprils Ltd.

I also had my daughters old prom dress altered and hemmed to cocktail length. Other than that just a basic black skirt and pallazzo pants with different fancy tops.

I do understand not liking your arms exposed though. My last cruise I was quite a bit larger and did wear sleeveless dresses. I just wore lightweight jackets and sheer tops to hide my arms. They're still not exactly slim and I have some loose skin but I'm going sleeveless anyway.

Good luck in your dress quest and have a ball on your cruise!

If you don't mind online shopping there's a Canadian website called killerkurves.com and it lists International plus size clothing companies. A lot of them are American :) I would also add holyclothing.com... they have beautiful semi-formal dresses and palazzo pants, all handmade and in cotton!

Thanks so much everyone. I am going with all your suggestions and researching online. Found a couple cute ones on EBay and going to check out a few more sites as well as taking a good measurement by my daughter, Driving downstate to see family and will definitely check out Dress Barn.

Thanks for standing behind the word fluffy and not seeing anything wrong in the word. Like what was posted, if I said plus or overweight or even obese the wording gives no more info out on my body shape then what fluffy does. Good point !!

Thanks for standing behind the word fluffy and not seeing anything wrong in the word. Like what was posted, if I said plus or overweight or even obese the wording gives no more info out on my body shape then what fluffy does. Good point !!

Yes, none of those descriptions are actually descriptive. I don't like fluffy because I think it's insubstantial and kind of juvenile, like "cute". I don't want to be cute any more than I want to be fluffy. I'm not a kitten....but your mileage may vary.

Before you go dress shopping, invest in some good foundation garments. A great, supportive bra can perk the girls up and make an huge difference in how a dress fits.

Speaking of this.... Dress Barn makes a great shaping slip. It is not overly tight and it does not ride up and best of all it is about $20. It is made so you can wear it under the girls or over them.

100806650_103.jpg

Before you go dress shopping, invest in some good foundation garments. A great, supportive bra can perk the girls up and make an huge difference in how a dress fits.

I've seen some with the chest area cut out so that you can get coverage, but still wear your own bra.

Sadly, those wouldn't help with my dress for my cruise tomorrow. I had to go with bike shorts type shape wear that goes up to my bra.

Speaking of this.... Dress Barn makes a great shaping slip. It is not overly tight and it does not ride up and best of all it is about $20. It is made so you can wear it under the girls or over them.

100806650_103.jpg

The problem with these is that they either make you look like you are wearing a sports bra and have uni-boob, or if worn below the bra can really bind and chafe.

I am slim but still wear Spanx under a couple of my clingiest dresses--They are comfy and do a nice job of smoothing you out without ever binding or feeling constricted.

Face it, if you are overweight, it's going to show and no foundation is going to make you look skinny. The best thing you can do is choose clothing that fits you well and brings out the best in your figure such as nice shoulders, an hourglass figure, or shapely legs (having items tailored if need be) and wear a supportive bra that gives you a great shape and underwear that smoothes you. You will be more comfortable and as such, more confident, and a confident women will always look better in her clothing than an insecure or uncomfortable one will, regardless of shape or size.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I have to agree with the support garments. I went into Victorias Secret and paid fifty bucks for a new bra, but the "girls" stay right up where they used to be. Even strapless. Also, you can't beat spanx. Those things are amazing for smoothing everything out. Even Walmart carries cheaper versions of these things.

I must be the only one who hates Spanx. I tried Spanx on my last cruise and I must have had the wrong size. It was worse than any panty girdle I wore in the 70's.

How do you know what size? Is it by weight, bra size, hip size. The one I had went up to under the girls and had a panty brief attached. Hated it.

I always feel like the fat is gonna find its way out either through the top or bottom. Lol. Need to try Spanx on tho

I agree on a new bra. That's on my list. Bra shopping is like jean shopping. Aggravating

I must be the only one who hates Spanx.

I never got it either. They don't seem to do much for me except make me overheated and create lines.

There are two items I wear sometimes. One is a boned waist cincher. It smooths out the fat pad over the diaphragm. Obviously this isn't for clingy fabrics (but I avoid those anyway) It doesn't hurt or make me overheated.

The other is the underbust squeem. That thing is amazing. I wish that it didn't make me so warm, because it actually does smooth things up, and even adds a little more height to my bust.

Yes, none of those descriptions are actually descriptive. I don't like fluffy because I think it's insubstantial and kind of juvenile, like "cute". I don't want to be cute any more than I want to be fluffy. I'm not a kitten....but your mileage may vary.

Sorry if I offended. I think of fluffy as a cover word to hide behind. When I hear someone say they are "fluffy", my mind immediately goes to someone who covers up with the muumuus one would buy at Hilo Hatties and wanders around in bathroom slippers. Not positive at all.

I'd rather say "I usually wear a size 22 on the top and a 20 on the bottom" (where I used to be) when I'm asking for suggestions - it gives all of us a better idea of what we can recommend rather than just saying "fluffy".... I knew several female athletes who did not wear the size 6, or even the size 14s, and they would never be anywhere what I would call "fluffy"... Large size does not equate to "fluffiness."

ImageUploadedByForums1382814469.987353.jpg.3db0169695d589d92017828a011a542b.jpg

Not sure this will work since I have never uploaded pictures to a forum

This is a dress I found today at Macy's on the clearance rack. Great price $209 for $42. Made by Alex Evening and hits right below the knee. Need to try on again but think it will work. I wasn't sure about the material coming down the side but think it takes away from the stomach area.

Yeah for a great deal!!

ImageUploadedByForums1382814446.747571.jpg.ae2a2f27025d7105b07b4a471de0aa21.jpg

I like the term fluffy as well. As a formerly fluffy lady I hated the "o" words since they had such a negative connotation. I was never in denial about my weight, but always liked terms that were more positive. Whatever words you like to use to describe yourself are the perfect words. I also like the word voluptuous. :D

Back on topic...I found this on Dillards and I think the shape would flatter your figure. Adrianna Papell makes very flattering dresses for all body shapes. The plus sizes tend to run true to size while the misses sizes run small for the most part.

http://www.dillards.com/product/Adrianna-Papell-Woman-Beaded-Waist-Gown_301_-1_301_502925228?df=03676214_zi_hunter

Lisa

I think that dress is gorgeous on women of all sizes.

[ATTACH]290940[/ATTACH]

Not sure this will work since I have never uploaded pictures to a forum

This is a dress I found today at Macy's on the clearance rack. Great price $209 for $42. Made by Alex Evening and hits right below the knee. Need to try on again but think it will work. I wasn't sure about the material coming down the side but think it takes away from the stomach area.

Yeah for a great deal!!

Very pretty! The draping can definitely help camouflage a belly. The jacket is so pretty that I think it will draw the eye towards the upper part of the torso.

I must be the only one who hates Spanx. I tried Spanx on my last cruise and I must have had the wrong size. It was worse than any panty girdle I wore in the 70's.

How do you know what size? Is it by weight, bra size, hip size. The one I had went up to under the girls and had a panty brief attached. Hated it.

I haven't bought new ones in probably 10 years (I obviously don't wear them often) so can't remember how to choose a size. The ones I have are like a pair of bike shorts, they start right around my naval and go to my upper thigh. The thing I like about them is that there are no panty lines. The nude colored ones are great for under lighter weight white pants where you don't want panty lines but need a little more coverage than you get from a thong.

Edited by ducklite

I do mean invest. Find a speciality store or an upscale department store. Foundation garments are not about making you slim. Proper garments smooth and shape. Cheap ones squeeze and spill.

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap! Bravo!

One of my biggest pet peeves is bras that don't fit and women spilling out of clothing and undergarments. You look thinner in slightly too large clothing than in slightly too small clothing. This goes for women of all shapes and sizes. Quad boobs and muffin tops are not attractive on anyone, even a size zero.

I used to work with a woman who was quite obese. She had beautiful clothing, but it all looked horrible on her, because it was always too small and too tight. The panty lines from the boy short style underwear she wore showed through right across her butt under her pants, and looked terrible. She would have been better off in "granny panties" with a little spandex to smooth her out and stay in place. Her bras were probably two cup sizes too small so she looked like she had four boobs and always rode up her back so instead of the back of the bra being horizontal around her rib cage, it was up between her shoulder blades. She did herself a huge disservice by not buying the right size in anything. It made her look 50 plus pounds heavier than she actually was.

Her bras were probably two cup sizes too small so she looked like she had four boobs and always rode up her back so instead of the back of the bra being horizontal around her rib cage, it was up between her shoulder blades.

The other fitting problems were her fault, but the bra size issue was likely the fault of one of the so-called professional fitters in regular stores. They are criminal.

The other fitting problems were her fault, but the bra size issue was likely the fault of one of the so-called professional fitters in regular stores. They are criminal.

I highly doubt she had been fitted for a bra in over 30 years. She did most of her shopping at flea markets.

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap! Bravo!

One of my biggest pet peeves is bras that don't fit and women spilling out of clothing and undergarments. You look thinner in slightly too large clothing than in slightly too small clothing. This goes for women of all shapes and sizes. Quad boobs and muffin tops are not attractive on anyone, even a size zero.

I used to work with a woman who was quite obese. She had beautiful clothing, but it all looked horrible on her, because it was always too small and too tight. The panty lines from the boy short style underwear she wore showed through right across her butt under her pants, and looked terrible. She would have been better off in "granny panties" with a little spandex to smooth her out and stay in place. Her bras were probably two cup sizes too small so she looked like she had four boobs and always rode up her back so instead of the back of the bra being horizontal around her rib cage, it was up between her shoulder blades. She did herself a huge disservice by not buying the right size in anything. It made her look 50 plus pounds heavier than she actually was.

LOL thats funny !!!

to topic Im FLUFFY and i can always find nice things at Jessica London for work wear

but for my cruise i want to save money for my trip and went to bargain catalog outfit

http://www.bcoutlet.com/Discount-Dresses.aspx?DeptId=13862

this site is affiliated with redcat family of stores including Jessica London, Avenue, Woman Within and Roamans and have items that have been marked down from these stores for much less..

PS google BCOpromocodes for even more markdowns and freeshipping:)

LOL thats funny !!!

to topic Im FLUFFY and i can always find nice things at Jessica London for work wear

but for my cruise i want to save money for my trip and went to bargain catalog outfit

http://www.bcoutlet.com/Discount-Dresses.aspx?DeptId=13862

this site is affiliated with redcat family of stores including Jessica London, Avenue, Woman Within and Roamans and have items that have been marked down from these stores for much less..

PS google BCOpromocodes for even more markdowns and freeshipping:)

It's weird that they would use size 0 models for 1X and higher clothing.