Which Scandinavian country?

sjde

We did the "Gems of the Baltic" on HAL a few years ago. The 2 days in St. Petersburg were fabulous - highlight of the cruise. I also enjoyed Tallin, Estonia, Stockholm and sailing the Archipelago. We stopped in Warnemunde and you could take the train to Berlin, we didn't, seems like it was to far from the port. I don't think you'd get enough touring time in Berlin, but that's just my opinion. I would like to go back to the Baltic for another cruise, but sometimes the thought of the trans-atlantic flight is too much.

Lots to think about?!

Oceania has a great deal right now for next summer but all four of the lowest categories are already on a wait list.

Also an itinerary to check out is the RCI Stockholm to Hamburg - 14 days. July 27 - if you have a lot of time.

We are looking at 7-10 nights this time.

Keep researching and planning. Let us know any added questions. I would strongly urge staying away from any cruise that is at Nynäshamn and a hour away (each way) from Stockholm. Not a good or ideal option!! Lots of wasted time and effort going there. Too many missed opportunities in Stockholm if you dock at Nynäshamn.

Tell us more, side, on your personal interests, past Europe travels, seek most in these areas, etc. Below are a few more items of "eye candy" from these wonderful areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 11,266 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge. YES, doing this canal tour is a must-do to allow better views of the various historic buildings from a relaxing angle in this Royal city.:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.: : [/b]

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, or Temppeliaukion Kirkko, is carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design. This Lutheran church was opened in September 1969. For economic reasons, its suggested plan was scaled back and the interior space reduced to about one-quarter of the original, pre-WWII plan. The interior was excavated and built directly out of solid rock and is bathed in natural light which enters through the glazed dome. The church is used frequently as a concert venue with its excellent acoustics. The acoustic quality is created by the rough, virtually unworked rock surfaces. The Temppeliaukio church is one of the most popular tourist attractions in this city with half a million people visiting annually. :

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the historic Gamia Stan area starts. Walking around in the Gamia Stan is wonderful as you soak up its history, charm and interesting architecture. Lots of fun outdoor dining places there for lunch, etc.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

We chose the 12-Night Celebrity out of Amsterdam because it hits most of our "must-sees" with decent port times. We'll see Norway on another cruise, possibly a year down the road.

Even though many don't seem to like it, I'm looking forward to Finland. We booked a private tour/driver that will hit the Helsinki highlights, but most of our day will be spent going to Porvoo. We are also not going to make the long trek to Berlin...we opted instead for a local tour in the Warnemunde area.

We have been to Europe many times-cruises, bus trip, and independent travel, but never to this area so we'd probably like to hit the major cities first. In Italy and France after seeing the highlights, like museums and churches, when we've been back we like getting out to the smaller villages. We're in our early 60's and active. We CAN do fast pace but don't want an entire vacation like that with no relaxation, so we do like some sea days. Some shopping is nice and of course, good food and wine!

We are looking at 7-10 nights this time.

If you can afford Oceania - but for some reason it doesn't work, you might research the suites on NCL, because the Star has a nice workhorse itinerary throughout the season that fits into a lot of schedules. NCL is definitely on the lower end of the mid markets - but it does treat suite guests very well (separate dining for breakfast and lunch and concierge takes you off ship separately for ports). And, actually has the some of the best theatre shows of the mainstream lines.

We still work - so that May sailing on NCL is tempting because it includes Memorial Day - one less day of vacation time.

We have been looking at the HAL Baltic cruise on the Eurodam next May because of the ports (Tallin, 2 days in St. Petersburg, Helsinki, 2 days in Stockholm, plus 2 stops in German ports). We also like the chance to come and go from Copenhagen, which looks like a delightful city. We plan to go to Rostock the day we dock in Warnemunde, instead of making the long trip to Berlin and back in a day. No plans yet for the day in Kiel, so we're interested in any suggestions from others about that port.

(btw, we're from the Denver area, too -- love Europe, but the journey to get there is looong, isn't it!)

We have been looking at the HAL Baltic cruise on the Eurodam next May because of the ports (Tallin, 2 days in St. Petersburg, Helsinki, 2 days in Stockholm, plus 2 stops in German ports). We also like the chance to come and go from Copenhagen, which looks like a delightful city. We plan to go to Rostock the day we dock in Warnemunde, instead of making the long trip to Berlin and back in a day. No plans yet for the day in Kiel, so we're interested in any suggestions from others about that port.

(btw, we're from the Denver area, too -- love Europe, but the journey to get there is looong, isn't it!)

Did that cruise, in July, followed by the 12 day ending in Amsterdam, but going to Norway and down thru Scotland and Ireland. Only had one day in Stockholm. Excellent cruise, well planned. We didn't see a lot to do in Kiel either, just did a 3 hour overlook of the area.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We've never had an inside cabin nor sailed on Oceania, but their 2014 Baltic cruise is $2499 for an inside cabin with airfare included, free internet, gratuities included and $100 shipboard credit. $3299 for an oceanview stateroom.

We have been to Europe many times-cruises, bus trip, and independent travel, but never to this area so we'd probably like to hit the major cities first. In Italy and France after seeing the highlights, like museums and churches, when we've been back we like getting out to the smaller villages. We're in our early 60's and active. We CAN do fast pace but don't want an entire vacation like that with no relaxation, so we do like some sea days. Some shopping is nice and of course, good food and wine!

Appreciate this added background. You'll find lots to love and do in the Baltics and Russia to match your interests and style.

Just remember that no one cruise in this area will fit "perfectly" for ALL needs and interests. Too many good options and potentials. Keep pushing ahead. It will all work out fine. Let us know any added questions.

Sorry had "Alaska vs. Norway vs. Southern NZ??" in the heading. Couldn't edit out.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 121,584 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

We've never had an inside cabin nor sailed on Oceania, but their 2014 Baltic cruise is $2499 for an inside cabin with airfare included, free internet, gratuities included and $100 shipboard credit. $3299 for an oceanview stateroom.

Airfare included???.....I'm going to have to find this puppy!!! Excellent price! $3299 - also very good. You nailed it on a great line, for the days you want to cruise, if you can get it. I was hoping the HAL came down - but a chance to cruise on Oceana......

Edited by buggins0402

Maybe on your upcoming O cruise they will have some discounts for future cruises

I would go for the outside if you can swing it ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

Well, it turns out the 4 lowest categories in Oceania are already on a wait list for August. So we either have to plan ahead to 2015 or go with another line next year.

I would get on the waitlist things can change between now & August ;)

Lyn

Thanks - I waitlisted a June sailing, higher category inside, first on list.

Keeping fingers crossed. I'm a DIY'er so this cruise provides an opportunity to spend some meaningful time in Copenhagen and Stockholm, which is really important. To get the airfare, have to buy their hotel packages if we go out earlier.......

Question for LHT28 - how bad are the hotel package prices over what one might book themselves????

Really excited...Oceania has always been on my hit list of cruise lines.

Question for LHT28 - how bad are the hotel package prices over what one might book themselves????

Check the rate for the same hotel by booking your own then compare

You usually can get a room a lot cheaper

Prices quoted on Oceania are PP for the hotel packages they do include transfer from airport to the hotel & hotel to the ship

Just looked at the hotel O uses in CPH it is roughly $304 USD p/n Oceania wants $299 pp p/n

So you are paying close to $300 for 2 transfers

Taxis are usually cheaper depending on the port

If you like everything taken care of for you get the hotel package ;)

Many people on Oceania cruises are independent

Enjoy

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Cindy,

We decided to go to Porvoo also during our time in Helsinki. It sounds like something that we would enjoy as all cities look alike to us after a while. What are you seeing in Porvoo?

Nothing specific...like you, we just wanted to get out of the city and see a bit of Finland. I think we'll just walk around and shop a little bit.

Check the rate for the same hotel by booking your own then compare

You usually can get a room a lot cheaper

Prices quoted on Oceania are PP for the hotel packages they do include transfer from airport to the hotel & hotel to the ship

Just looked at the hotel O uses in CPH it is roughly $304 USD p/n Oceania wants $299 pp p/n

So you are paying close to $300 for 2 transfers

Taxis are usually cheaper depending on the port

If you like everything taken care of for you get the hotel package ;)

Many people on Oceania cruises are independent

Enjoy

Lyn

Per person - Yikes! I had looked last night and saw prices but didn't realize it was pp. The cruise consultant indicated that the only sure way of getting flights in and out a few days before and after was to take the package (otherwise they would "do their best"). That's a deal killer for me. Nights before and after in two major highlight cities are a must - but I won't pay $600 a night!

Edited by buggins0402

Per person - Yikes! I had looked last night and saw prices but didn't realize it was pp. The cruise consultant indicated that the only sure way of getting flights in and out a few days before and after was to take the package (otherwise they would "do their best"). That's a deal killer for me. Nights before and after in two major highlight cities are a must - but I won't pay $600 a night!

No that is not the case

You can just ask for flights & pay the deviation fee of $150 pp

If you want to email me I can explain how that works

We do that all the time

Lyn