Are MSC as Bad as Reviews Claim?

glittergal1

If no-one responds to pmacher61, they will go away.......

The way to treat negativity..... build a brick wall.

Annie

Better yet, bury your head in the sand. That would be even more effective in avoiding reality.

Edited by pmacher61

Low price is the main attractive point for Costa & MSC.

However, we found a better price on a better ship so we skip MEC Divina this your. We'll see next year.

Are you sure? Many people seem to choose MSC and Costa because they enjoy the products provided on the ships, as well as other factors, such as their Itineraries. I am not sure that price, in the end, is that large a factor for the majority of the audience (of course it is for some and to a certain barrier for most middle class people). Who want to use their holy vacation days on a crap product? Most people want to use their "hard earned" vacation days on a good experience and good leisure.

Also, MSC and Costa is not cheaper in the end. I have provided information on this, and you have even made the point yourself in a post on this forum back in 2012.

Philip

Edited by phider

Valid point. I hope it is improving. It would give me more options.

Try it again.

I cannot say about Eroupe, but I remember first MSC attempts in North America. I never read such horrible reviews on this forum! This year only bad ones were about chartered cruses.

phider ... For some people especially those with kids Costa and MSC are a great less expensive alternative to the likes of RCI,NCL and Princess which enables them to take a cruise holiday at a price thet they can afford.

The trouble with some people is that they are not able to adapt out of their comfort zone and want everything they have at home when on holiday! if so stay at home.

Hello,

Recently booked our first ever cruise, 41 night on MSC orchestra,with flights from Australia it is working out a fair price.

having read some reports some of the main issues seem to be the food, served cold when it should be hot, surely this is a health concern.

I have travelled in Europe and no what to expect, but some reviews talk of the pushing and fighting to get off at ports ! Is this really the case and how long does it take for 3000 people to disembark, A few ports we are only there a matter of 5 hours, I am wondering if it s worth getting off at all.

Could some of you experienced travellers enlighten me!

Thank you in advace.

Incorrect.

It is very possible to book a cruise as a solo with MSC and pay no solo supplement - I know I have done it 3 times.

Annie

I may be mistaken. I often am.

Both lines advertise single occupancy cabins. I booked a single occupancy cabin on Costa and the rate was quoted as such. When I got my confirmation the price was as quoted, but there was a single supplement component broken out as a part of the price. Hmmm. Do you really think that if a second pax were to occupy the same single occupancy room, she would pay the exact same price as the first (that is, that the pp price would be exactly the same)? Maybe.

Edited by pmacher61

I think MSC mostly do these no single supplements on Grand Voyages. I am pretty sure the price is half of that for two people in the same cabin.

That is spot on earn. They also discount down to around 30% on other non peak time cruises.

On the point of cost, yes I like that I get a good deal as a so.o but I was cruising with them when I had to pay 100%, the basic fare was higher and my club discount was smaller. My time off is my most previous commodity and I would definitely not waste it doing something I didn't like, just because it was cheaper. So cost is not the driver for me. Now that I do get a decent club discount and a small or no single supplement, it just means that instead of 1 or 2 cruises per year and the rest land trips, I do 3 or 4 cruises and fewer land trips.

'Another ad hominem attack by someone whose obvious failure to comprehend my point has not prevented her from insulting "the likes of me." Ho hum.'

Believe me, 'pmacher', if I wished to insult you, I could make a rather better stab at it than that which you seem to find so hurtful.

As for cjvinthechair, HE is about to start a third cruise with MSC, travelling to Brazil with no 'trepidation' whatsoever, and while aware that no cruise/holiday/experience is without its moments that one might wish had gone better, my message to all those here a little concerned by what they read is much as before: join the cruise looking forward to a wonderful holiday, and MSC & its beautiful ships have every chance of providing it for you.

As for the carpers, well, 'Ho Hum' sums them up rather well - thanks for the suggestion, 'pmacher'.

My last post on the subject, so you can insult all you like now. 'Ho Hum' indeed !

Hello,

Recently booked our first ever cruise, 41 night on MSC orchestra,with flights from Australia it is working out a fair price.

having read some reports some of the main issues seem to be the food, served cold when it should be hot, surely this is a health concern.

I have travelled in Europe and no what to expect, but some reviews talk of the pushing and fighting to get off at ports ! Is this really the case and how long does it take for 3000 people to disembark, A few ports we are only there a matter of 5 hours, I am wondering if it s worth getting off at all.

I sailed the Med on the larger MSC Splendida, and there was no particular trend of pushing and shoving to get off, let alone fighting. It was the same as any other cruise.

I'm sure you can find the odd person somewhere who may do that. But as said earlier, can you imagine so many people would be sailing MSC if that were really the case?

Hello,

Thank you in advace.

Certainly never experienced any fighting ever. As for pushing,, well let's just say not all nationalities stand neatly in a queue, it's just not their custom. So not so much pushing as just ignoring folk standing in a line. They may brush past you, if they see you standing there but not really push you out of their way. Also not all nationalities have the same concept of personal space. Now put that together with the non queueing and add in folk from UK, USA etc who absolutely do queue and like personal space and there is your explanation! A touch of exaggeration or reporting of an isolated case is no doubt a factor too.

SkipperTim started a humorous thread a wee while back on "how to queue" o rather not in parts of Europe/MSC.

AmoMondo is completely right.

It is also can be some odd occurence.

When we sailed in Med we had several groups of people who would send one person into the buffet line and then other people from same group would join him or her. This looked really weird. They did speak French, but I haven't seen this again on other ships, so cannot concider it to be a cultural thing

However there are some differences. And I believe in this regard passengers from UK are closer to Americans than to other Europeans. For example if you are having a lunch or seating at the table near the pool they might ask you if they can use free chairs, but won't ask you if they can join you at the same table. Later happened a lot with German and French passengers. Some of them would then talk to you, but others only among themselves.

Edited by Tatka

I may be mistaken. I often am.

Both lines advertise single occupancy cabins. I booked a single occupancy cabin on Costa and the rate was quoted as such. When I got my confirmation the price was as quoted, but there was a single supplement component broken out as a part of the price. Hmmm. Do you really think that if a second pax were to occupy the same single occupancy room, she would pay the exact same price as the first (that is, that the pp price would be exactly the same)? Maybe.

Yes - fact.

If a 2nd person was to share the cabin with me, they would pay the same price as I do.

Annie

Yes - fact.

If a 2nd person was to share the cabin with me, they would pay the same price as I do.

Annie

Thanks for clarifying that though I wonder why anyone would want to share a cabin if they could have a similar one of their own for the exact same price.

Thanks for clarifying that though I wonder why anyone would want to share a cabin if they could have a similar one of their own for the exact same price.

I don't think my DW would be happy if I booked separate cabins. :D

Good point though. Skipper Tim came up with the brilliant idea of booking an inside and a balcony if a cruise has zero single supplement, and then just using the balcony room.

I've seen friends travelling together doing just that. There are definite advantages for us ladies of having 2 bathrooms and 2 wardrobes!

For what it's worth my parents first cruise was with MSC Orchestra back in 2008 I believe ... a Caribbean sailing.

My parents immediately fell in love with the line. They are baby boomers just hitting their golden years and Canadian.

Having read multiple reviews I was sure they would like a more Americanized line that caters entertainment in line with those who grew up in the 60's. So I recommended they try Princess (which I had sailed on myself and greatly enjoyed).

To my utmost surprise, they didn't like Princess near as much as MSC. In their own words "Princess is too much "I got you babe" type songs and entertainment. We like the entertainment on MSC much better with it's Cirque de soleil type acts, multiple music styles (not just 60's music) and overall multicultural feeling with announcements in multiple languages."

This may be reflective though that we live in Toronto, which is one of the most multicultural cities on the planet. Certainly my impression of MSC is that it caters to multiple nationalities, versus the more North American entertainment centric Caribbean cruises of the other mainstream lines. They really liked the food on MSC too. They raved about the Italian food and enjoyed it more than Princess as well.

My folks sail on the Divina in 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see if Divina maintains the Euro feel of Orchestra and Poesia ... I've heard Divina trying to target the American audience much more than other ships in the line since it sails the Caribbean all year round. I will be interested to get my folks impressions when they get back.