Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean questions

lv9777

We are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam June sailing from Barcelona to Venice. This is our first time in Europe and our first cruise longer than 7 days. I have been reading the forums and gathering a lot of information, but am a bit overwhelmed. SO..a couple question for veteran cruisers.

1. Can we realistically arrive the day before the cruise without difficulty or Jet lag or should we spend the money and arrive several days early? We are a couple in our 40's leaving from Michigan.

2.When should I start looking for sales or ways to get a better price? Do I need to check in with our cruise consultant or just wait?

3. I know this is a matter of opinion, but any advice on excursion would be greatly appreciated. (Yes I am reading the Port forums) Are there ports that an excursion is a must because it is not a walkable town? Do ports change often due to weather?

Thank you for help.

We are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam June sailing from Barcelona to Venice. This is our first time in Europe and our first cruise longer than 7 days. I have been reading the forums and gathering a lot of information, but am a bit overwhelmed. SO..a couple question for veteran cruisers.

1. Can we realistically arrive the day before the cruise without difficulty or Jet lag or should we spend the money and arrive several days early? We are a couple in our 40's leaving from Michigan.

2.When should I start looking for sales or ways to get a better price? Do I need to check in with our cruise consultant or just wait?

3. I know this is a matter of opinion, but any advice on excursion would be greatly appreciated. (Yes I am reading the Port forums) Are there ports that an excursion is a must because it is not a walkable town? Do ports change often due to weather?

Thank you for help.

I just finished my 40's , sigh :o and am from the same time zone.

1. I rarely sleep well on transoceanic flights. I've got 3 kids to keep an eye on! The last time I arrived the nightly before the cruise started (in Barcelona), we arrived at 2 pm to the hotel and I was conked out by 6 pm. Slept really well at Eurostars Grand Marina and was raring to go by 9 am. When I pass through multiple time zones and try to stay up when my body says sleep, I do much worse and suffer for about a week.

2. Do a dummy booking every few days. You'll probably have to let your cruise consultant know if the price goes down. There are various online travel agencies, price tracking websites etc that can help you do this.

3. Weather in the Med at that time of year should be great. I rarely hear of port changes due to weather in the summer. I used mostly private excursions on that route, especially Rome and Florence, because there were 4 of us and because both cities are far from the ports. It's possible to take public transport, but in my opinion, I'd rather take a ships' excursion if I'm not taking private. The trains in Italy are not always reliable. Naples is another place where I wouldn't want to restrict myself to the port area. I've been to Pompeii twice and still need to go back.

I would arrive at least two days before your sailing to give you a chance to recover from the flight and most of all to enjoy beautiful Barcelona. It is a gorgeous city with just so much to see. If you are tired you can just enjoy Las Ramblas and the ambiance. We do not bounce back after one night of sleep so our minimum is 2 days before to get fully refreshed. Quite often we stay longer than that.

The ports in the Med rarely change.

Glad you are checking the ports boards. Some of the ports can be done on your own if you are so inclined, but with it being your visit to the Med, I would not want you to miss anything - so I would be tempted to do some private tours or ship tours.

Let us know what ports you are visiting and we can help some more.

If I may be so bold, I would stay an extra day or two in Venice when you get off. There is a lot to see there and it is really nice to do it at a leisurely pace:)

There is so much to see and do in Europe. Go a couple days early and enjoy!

There is absolutely no way to predict a sale. So, as is commonly recommended here, book now, and you will get any fare drop up to final payment. After final payment, you might get an upgrade, a OBC or nothing for a fare drop. But book now to assure you will get the cabin type, location and level you wish. You are totally responsible to find the fare drop, and bring to your TA's attention.

As we know nothing of your interests, budget or other limitations, the studying you are doing on the Ports boards is the best way to narrow down this very broad question.

I think east-bound flights are the worst, so I definitely recommend recovery time! Three days, even, would be great in Barcelona! Use the HOHO bus one day, to get a feel for the city, then another day go to the Sagrada Familia really early! Check out the entry times, and if you're too early (as we were) have a chocolate and churros in a cafe in the square, and get to the doors of the cathedral when they open - the crowds will be less. Then take a taxi to the MNAC (Museo Nacional de Arte Catalana), and see all that area on the top of the hill - I think there's a funicular down, but we took taxis to save time. There's so much to see in the old town (Barrio Gotico), too. I could go back over and over (been there 4 times, still love Barcelona the best!)

As far as sales, there's one on now, I think.

Thanks for the info. We are stopping at Marseille, Monte Carlo, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Toarmina, Corfu, Croatia, Kotor and Venice. Any advice is welcome. We are trying to balance seeing the sights with having some adventure. Thinking of booking a Cinque Terre excursion from Livorno and seeing the volcano in Toarmina.

We are also considering staying after the cruise and taking the train from Venice to Florence and Rome and then flying out of Rome back to the US.

However, everyone speaks so highly of Barcelona. Considering just arriving early.

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. Most of your ports are covered in his book, telling you what there is to see in the port in the time allowed, and how to do it on your own. For the ports he does not cover, such as Sicily, he recommends Lonely Planet. EM

Hello. We are on the same cruise leaving Barcelona on the 17th June 2014. Your going to have a great time. This is the second time for us on Nieuw Amsterdam,we did a 12 night cruise on her back in 2011 around the Med. In regard to excursions we have a couple of private tours at Naples,Athens and Kusadasi organised. Details are listed under Roll Calls(Nieuw Amsterdam) or if you want email us at davmar73@optusnet.com.au for more details. The itinerary is amazing. Keep a look out on Roll Calls for excursions which other passengers may organise,in most cases they are a lot cheaper than HAL will have. Cannot wait for this one to start.

Thanks for the info. We are stopping at Marseille, Monte Carlo, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Toarmina, Corfu, Croatia, Kotor and Venice. Any advice is welcome. We are trying to balance seeing the sights with having some adventure. Thinking of booking a Cinque Terre excursion from Livorno and seeing the volcano in Toarmina.

We are also considering staying after the cruise and taking the train from Venice to Florence and Rome and then flying out of Rome back to the US.

However, everyone speaks so highly of Barcelona. Considering just arriving early.

Hello again. Sorry I forgot about the amazing excursion we have booked for Taormina. It leaves at 1.30pm and goes to Mt Etna, Castelmola and Taormina. We will get back to the ship around 9.30pm. Once again if you want more details email us at davmar73@optusnet.com.au or go to roll calls(nieuw Amsterdam) for more details. We only have 2 spots left for this tour as well as the Naples tour.

Definitely check out your roll call and the ports boards here on cruise critic. Lots of good info. For Monte Carlo we used Sylvie Di'Cristo and had a fabulous day. One of the best guides ever. There are some beautiful spots around Monte Carlo well worth visiting. If you plan on visiting Rome do not just do a transfer if you haven't been there. Either use a private guide (ie Rome in Limo - very good) or a ship's tour. Venice you can do on your own if you so choose.

Barcelona - if you are staying there at all and have time, visit La Sagrada Familia - Gaudi's famous unfinished church - if you plan on going, then book your tickets on line and you will avoid the endless line up.4

Your visit to Taormina sounds good. It is very worthwhile IMO. Hope this helps a bit:D

Hello

In case it gives you some ideas, somewhere in this http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1633637 are videos for all your ports ports except Taormina and Marseille (which I will add shortly, along with one from Cinque Terre)

These were done from 3 separate HAL cruises, all on my own or with private tours. I'm sure you will be able to join in others' private tours if you post on your roll call. There are so many incredible ports in your itinerary that it's hard to say where you should stay on for a day or 2 at either end. If time is not an issue then I would stay a day more at Venice then doing as you say (Florence, Rome). But whatever you decide will be magnificent. All the best, Tony

We just returned yesterday from a 21 day cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The ship was wonderful but this cruise was definitely about the ports of call which were amazing...each and every one.

Barcelona is an incredibly beautiful city...there is so much to see. I would definitely stay as long as you can there. We stayed four nights prior to our cruise and it was well worth it. Especially with that pesky little thing called "jet lag"! ;)

Jacqui's idea of staying in Venice post cruise is a good one, too.

Seeing La Sagrada Familia is a must. Buy tickets in advance or book a tour with your hotel to avoid the lines. Also, walk barri Gotic and La Rambla with a stop to the La Boqueria, the Cathedral in barri Gotic. To acquaint yourself with the city, I would suggest doing the "hop on/hop off" bus.

In Italy, we booked tours with people on our Roll Call using "Share a shore excursion in Italy". They were fabulous...rated very highly on Trip Advisor. #1 last time I checked. They coordinated everything... reservations at a beautiful restaurant at the highest peak in Positano, the Vatican tickets, tickets to see the David, etc. We even had a little extra time in Florence so the driver suggested taking the scenic route back to Livorno...through the Tuscany countryside, and we stopped at a beautiful vineyard...where we all bought wine and olive oil.

Share a Shore Excursion got really high marks from all of us...there were six on two of our tours; eight on the one to Florence.

You will read that the drivers in Italy are not tour guides but don't be put off by that. All of our drivers talked non stop and were extremely informative.

In Marseille, I would take a tour to Aix en Provence...very, very lovely city. We did a ship excursion there from Toulon. Wish we'd done a smaller, private excursion. The name escapes me but there is a tour company for that area of France that is highly recommended on line.

The best advice I have for you is:

1. buy a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports

2. spend as much time as you can on the ports of call boards for Italy, Spain, and France

3. spend extra time in Barcelona and in Venice

We did 37 days on the NA in 2012 (Oct included the TA) we have been to the Med 5-times - you will love Toarmina - used Sicily Limos - put it on the port of call boards - you will easily fill the van - Naples definitely recommend Pompeii + Amalfi coast - there are several independent operators - used See Amalfi - Florence on your own sounds great - be sure to make res to see the David - here is the link to my share site - https://2012nieuwamsterdam.shutterfly.com/ used taxi in Kotor and in Corfu - email me at prescottgal @gmail.com you will have a fabulous time

Archived