Townsville welcomes first Cruise Ship

From today's Cruise Weekly

More than 2000 passengers and crew alighted from Holland America Line’s Volendam late last week as the vessel became the first to dock at the new $85 million Quayside cruise terminal in Townsville, North Queensland.

Welcoming the vessel was live music from the local Kirwan High School band, food stalls, volunteer tour guides and an official visit from the city’s Mayor Cr Jenny Hill, who presented Volendam Captain Jeroen Baijens with a plaque commemorating the inaugural visit.

“We hope the positive feedback from these experiences will encourage more cruise shipping companies to include Townsville,” Townsville Enterprise’s Patricia O’Callaghan said. Over the next year, ten more cruise ships are scheduled to call in to visit Townsville.

Hi Sandy

Thanks for posting, Lets hope we will get a chance to be on one of the next ten ships to call in!

Nicki

Hi Nicki, we noticed on the constellation roll call that you were also booked on the reflection afterwards. We are too, and I think Dennis and his wife are as well. We're looking forward to these cruises and an opportunity to meet new friends. Wondering if you'd be interested in shared transport between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami? My email is joe_terrie(at)rogers.com.

Hi Nicky

Apparently the Pacific Dawn is not docking at the new terminal this time. Wonder if it will eventually.

I believe that is more to do with the ship than the new cruise dock.

Evidently PD only has 1 rudder and this limits her manouverability. I think she has to have a tug on stanby when comes up the Brisbane River and in the past has got into a few "tricky" situations.....she got stuck on a sandbank in the Amazon River once and had to wait for high tide to float off. Not sure how she gets on in Cairns.

Does she dock at Trinity Wharf or tender from Yorkeys?

Evidently PD only has 1 rudder and this limits her manouverability. I think she has to have a tug on stanby when comes up the Brisbane River and in the past has got into a few "tricky" situations.....she got stuck on a sandbank in the Amazon River once and had to wait for high tide to float off. Not sure how she gets on in Cairns.

This is what happened in Cairns when she was Regal Princess.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24999/mair166_001.pdf

PD tender from Yorkeys.

Back when she was the Regal Princess, she ran aground, as she was leaving cairns.

Archived