where to sleep?

Quick question. Isn't it ultimately the passengers responsibility to check deck plans to see how many persons could sleep comfortably in a cabin? Just wondering why the OP wasn't more proactive? When I call my TA I have a copy of the deck plans in front of me.

By application of a touch of reductio ad absurdum, one could argue that it's the passengers' responsibility to make sure there's enough fuel. That there are enough steaks in the dining room. That (fill in the blanks) has been taken care of.

Plenty of people are far less obesesive over their cruise cabins. They instead rely on the cruise lines to provide them accomodations suitable for the number of people cruising. Just like you trust them to get enough fuel, food, and so on.

I don't agree. I pay a TA to do that. I'm an engineer and gym owner, none of my clients expect to engineer the projects they hire me for nor do my athletes pay me for training or use of my facility and question if I have the equipment I am telling them to use nor do I charge for accomondation I do not have or cant provide.

Exactly, Torque. Slightly O/T, but do you have a PE?

'''

did you ever find out HOW this even happened?

For us we were never given an explanation as to why our family of 3 was booked into a cabin for 2. Of course we never followed up on it after the cruise. We solved the problem ourselves on the ship and actually it became quite the joke with the couple that we switched cabins with. We are very easy going people.....once we solved the problem we had no interest in pursing the issue further. However, in your case, I believe that you should follow this up as you were cramped and your situation was not solved on board.

Quick question. Isn't it ultimately the passengers responsibility to check deck plans to see how many persons could sleep comfortably in a cabin? Just wondering why the OP wasn't more proactive? When I call my TA I have a copy of the deck plans in front of me.

Im obsessed with my vacation and dwell over every aspect of the cruise.

Now on the other hand if my dh was in charge of booking the cruise, thats all that would be done......cruise booked...job over!

Unfortunately, IMO the TA will do nothing, they have moved on to other bookings. Reporting them to BBB is a total waste of time and will accomplish nothing.

The time to resolve this was on the ship, but it appears they were not helpful or pleaded ignorance. It is irritating to visit the pursers desk with some minor problem and they look at you like you have two heads or pretend they don't understand English.

Personally, I rely on the TA for nothing. I pick the cruise and the cabin, all they do is process the credit card.

That was a most unfortunate trip for you.

By application of a touch of reductio ad absurdum, one could argue that it's the passengers' responsibility to make sure there's enough fuel. That there are enough steaks in the dining room. That (fill in the blanks) has been taken care of.

Well, there ya go! Now I understand. The Brilliance ran out of English muffins on day 4 of the cruise 2 weeks ago. Now I know why the guy at the bread station looked at me like it was my fault I wouldn't have an English muffin the rest of the week. If only I'd have checked upon boarding... ;) :)

(Sorry...when I read this, all I could think about was that guy looking at me and me looking at him that morning. You made me smile!)

OP - I hope you get some resolution. If not, call the RCCL Resolution Team and escalate the issue. If for no other reason, to make them aware this is happening so they can escalate the issue to IT. They are also very good at making sure the customers' issues are dealt with fairly and efficiently.

Dear Andrew,

We hope everything about your vacation aboardAllure of the Seas was great! We also wanted to thank you again for letting us plan your trip, and sincerely hope we did everything we could to make it both a pleasure and hassle-free!

OP - that would be the last straw for me! While I could forgive the TA not catching the double cabin having 3 in it (we are all human and you yourself didn't notice) I would NOT be able to forgive this....especially since you have advised them or the error - and then they send this???

Did you book thru a large on line cruise agency?

I don't agree. I pay a TA to do that. I'm an engineer and gym owner, none of my clients expect to engineer the projects they hire me for nor do my athletes pay me for training or use of my facility and question if I have the equipment I am telling them to use nor do I charge for accomondation I do not have or cant provide.

HELL YEAH!! NOW, TELL THE TA THAT!!!

I cannot believe this happened to you or Giltazell. I am stunned that they would even let you board, I see this as one of those horrible situations where someone is left standing on the pier. Well, maybe once they get the computers fixed, this won't be able to happen to anyone else. The more I think about it, the madder I get. I just sailed solo in a cabin that slept four. You know there were a lot of other people who would have switched with you if they were asked. Why didn't RC ask? Like Gilt said, throw in a bottle of wine and I'd be happy to move a few doors down. DAMN!

HELL YEAH!! NOW, TELL THE TA THAT!!!

I cannot believe this happened to you or Giltazell. I am stunned that they would even let you board, I see this as one of those horrible situations where someone is left standing on the pier. Well, maybe once they get the computers fixed, this won't be able to happen to anyone else. The more I think about it, the madder I get. I just sailed solo in a cabin that slept four. You know there were a lot of other people who would have switched with you if they were asked. Why didn't RC ask? Like Gilt said, throw in a bottle of wine and I'd be happy to move a few doors down. DAMN!

Yeah, what she said.

I just read the first post and did not go through the 12 pages. Yes your TA and Royal screwed up, but did you not bother to check the deck plans to make sure that you were in a room with an extra birth.... Seems like the blame is spit three ways and RCI is being the bigger person.

I agree with the other posters who say that the TA bears the brunt of the responsibility for the room mess up. OP paid the TA for cabin that slept 3, TA charged for a cabin that slept 3 and then did not provide what was contracted for, pretty simple.

OP should be refunded the entire 3rd person fare as well as receive the current 25% off a future cruise.

Not everyone is obsessive about their cabin assignment. OP assumed (and rightly so) that the TA knew what they needed and would ensure that it was provided.

OP - that would be the last straw for me! While I could forgive the TA not catching the double cabin having 3 in it (we are all human and you yourself didn't notice) I would NOT be able to forgive this....especially since you have advised them or the error - and then they send this???

it was booked along with 25 others for my best friends wedding. It is a fairly large online cruise agency.

OP should be refunded the entire 3rd person fare as well as receive the current 25% off a future cruise.

that is what I requested yesterday and have not heard anything back yet. they said they normally don't give refunds unless there is extreme circumstances. I reminded them if there was an emergency and we couldnt get out of our room or the ship didn't have enough flotation devises because there was more people in rooms than planned that may be an extreme case.

I also have not heard back from my TA after my somewhat nastygram of an email after the generic email was sent.

Pay hundreds to sleep on floor on vacation and you didnt stand in front of the pursers desk till they got you a bed .

I was at the desk everyday. I knew if I went off like I wanted to it would have ruined my entire vacation. I did my best to stay somewhat calm but make it known daily I was not happy. I was there for my best friends wedding and didn't want to effect the love, happiness and overall awesome time we were all sharing together.

and I agree...mistakes can be made, hence why I didn't go off the handle. I've had my billing software charge clients credit cards triple...as soon as it was noticed I refunded all funds, paid their bank over draft fees and gave them another 3 months free. I was embarassed and felt bad that they couldn't buy gas bc my mistake wiped them out. So I did all I could to make it better. AND trust me I'm not a billion dollar business like RC.

First of all, if you are going to hire a TA why should the cabin selection be the passenger's responsibility? If you hire a lawyer for a legal issue are you expected to be as well versed in the law as he is? Secondly, why RCI's booking engine allows 3 people to be booked in a 2 person room is beyond me. Things can change on ships. Deck plans that you have in front of you are not necessarily correct. Some rooms can hold more than 2 people but RCI will not allow more than 2 into the room. Ultimately, if the system allows 3 people to be booked into a room then I expect the room to accommadate 3people.

I just read the first post and did not go through the 12 pages. Yes your TA and Royal screwed up, but did you not bother to check the deck plans to make sure that you were in a room with an extra birth.... Seems like the blame is spit three ways and RCI is being the bigger person.

Not everyone is as cruise savvy as many of those on this board. I am an educated professional and took at least a half dozen or more cruises simply relying on a TA to book me a cabin without ever looking at the ship diagrams. However, I am also a veteran of the 60's sit-ins and peace marches and would have (quietly) stood my ground at the purser's desk until a solution was found.

I fear you are not going to get much response on this from a large on line agency - there is no personal relationship. I know a lot of you like to do it yourself - however, I work with a small local family owned agency. They know their clients and the clients know them. They go to bat for their people. I know from personal experience when something goes bad - and sometimes things do - this agency would be on a mission to get it fixed and make it right.

Plus I like the fact you can physically go there and sit down and talk - face to face.

I truly hope you get some satisfaction for this BIG error.

Edited by LovesCruising

I fear you are not going to get much response on this from a large on line agency - there is no personal relationship. I know a lot of you like to do it yourself - however, I work with a small local family owned agency. They know their clients and the clients know them. They go to bat for their people. I know from personal experience when something goes bad - and sometimes things do - this agency would be on a mission to get it fixed and make it right.

Plus I like the fact you can physically go there and sit down and talk - face to face.

Every past cruise I've booked straight through RC or my local sit-down TA. this was a big group that I was not the planner for.

Random...does anyone remember the Nordic Prince? Thats where my RC cruising days began....hate for it to end on the Allure.

it was booked along with 25 others for my best friends wedding. It is a fairly large online cruise agency.

Wondering after this statement if it was Royals fault at all or if all the blame should be placed with the TA. Sounds like there was a large party, at least one guarantee, perhaps more, possibly juggling of people to get the best rates etc. perhaps guarantees came in but not close together location wise.

Don't know, not passing judgement but it sounds like there is more information to this than we were originally given. Also, within that group was there not an extra bed or even a non pullout couch available.

Unfortunately I know plenty of local TAs who I would never trust, even face-to-face. Unfortunately the TA industry is ripe for people who don't care and you sound like one of the few exceptions. Good for you!

No you are not alone on this!

What happened to the policy that the TA owns the reservation and therefore has control?

This TA is not doing their job, the OP needs to be more aggressive and go to the top, meaning the manager or owner of the agency.

Totally agree with this. The TA owns the reservation and is the one to make amends. Once you go through a TA, you can't talk to RCI about your reservation or make any changes. That's one of the main reasons I don't use a TA ... I make all my own reservations and depend on no-one but myself. That way, if there's a screw up, it's mine and I can deal with RCI myself and not have to go through a third party. :)

Really? You don't even believe the photograph? :rolleyes: If you have nothing to contribute, or don't believe the OP, then kindly move on without dropping negativity.

OP, so sorry this happened to you. Hope you get a good resolution!

Again something doesn't seem kosher here. And as far as RCL telling the OP in a general way "to deal with it" sorry don't believe a word of it...:rolleyes: