Nickle and Diming

doublebzz

Yikes, speaking of what Oceania gives away for free, just got a heavy, heavy, plastic wrapped Winter Collection volume today in the mail besides our almost daily glossies. They must really like our zip code demographics.

Personally, I haven't printed a boarding pass in years as I check-in on my iphone. I'm saving trees one piece of paper at a time.

Please, don't go there! About a year ago, I suggested on this board that HAL should consider adding that as an option for cruise check-in. The proposal led to a very heated thread with a surprising majority being vehemently opposed. Go figure. :confused:

Please, don't go there! About a year ago, I suggested on this board that HAL should consider adding that as an option for cruise check-in. The proposal led to a very heated thread with a surprising majority being vehemently opposed. Go figure. :confused:

Ehhh, to each his own. Just like this original post. Paying a quarter for a boarding pass is such a non issue to me. There are greater things to worry or complain about.

What's amazing is we're on page 3 for a $0.25 boarding pass.

What's next a 20 minute segment on 60 minutes?

If I had been on the cruise I would have splurged for his boarding pass. Then we could be chatting about more important topics like

Fountain soda versus cans

What's amazing is we're on page 3 for a $0.25 boarding pass.

What's next a 20 minute segment on 60 minutes?

If I had been on the cruise I would have splurged for his boarding pass. Then we could be chatting about more important topics like

Fountain soda versus cans

It's a slow night on the board I guess. And everyone knows that cans are better. :D

Don't sweat the small stuff.

And this is truly SMALL stuff.

:) Check !! :)

Well you might want to check out Oceania because all of the above...FREE!

There is nothing free on any cruise ship. Pay it in the fare or pay it at time of consumption but we pay for everything. ;) :D

Wakepatrol quote: What's amazing is we're on page 3 for a $0.25 boarding pass. What's next a 20 minute segment on 60 minutes?

Fountain soda versus cans.

Fouremco quote: It's a slow night on the board I guess. And everyone knows that cans are better. :D

As long as it's a slow night ... IMO those fountain sodas ARE bigger than 6 ounces ... AND I like fountain over cans! :D :D :D

Edited by Linda&Vern

I am going to make one final comment because so many posters have gotten on a tangent that goes far astray from the point I was trying to make.

I purchased a small internet package towards the end of my cruise just to check on some emails. I had no need to print boarding passes or anything else. When I noticed a sign stating there was a 25 cent charge for printing boarding passes, my perception was this was kind of chintzy. Lets assume that the same percentage of respondents to this thread who agree with me (maybe 5%) feel likewise; that means that up to 100 guests come away with a negative impression of HAL. So, my point is why instill a negative image when it can be easily avoided by just eliminating the sign or just have it state 25 cents per page for printing? I frankly don't see how even HAL's most ardent apologists can argue with that.

P.S. When I have the time, I'm going to initiate a thread on the duty free store scams and can't wait for the flack I'll receive on that.

So out of the whole cruise, the impression you walked away with hinges so importantly on the $ .25 printing charge? :confused:

Any other comments about your cruise? I'd truly like to hear about it? Were you 'mostly' satisfied?

Thanks.

If anyone objects to paying the 25cents to print the boarding pass, you can always just go to the airport and print it there.

And, when staying at Hyatt Pier 66, we paid to print the boarding pass.

Can't recall what happened at Riverside Hotel, but I know it wasn't free.

It used to be that only air and water were free, but now you even pay for water.

At our local gas station you pay for the air.

I am going to make one final comment because so many posters have gotten on a tangent that goes far astray from the point I was trying to make.

I purchased a small internet package towards the end of my cruise just to check on some emails. I had no need to print boarding passes or anything else. When I noticed a sign stating there was a 25 cent charge for printing boarding passes, my perception was this was kind of chintzy. Lets assume that the same percentage of respondents to this thread who agree with me (maybe 5%) feel likewise; that means that up to 100 guests come away with a negative impression of HAL. So, my point is why instill a negative image when it can be easily avoided by just eliminating the sign or just have it state 25 cents per page for printing? I frankly don't see how even HAL's most ardent apologists can argue with that.

P.S. When I have the time, I'm going to initiate a thread on the duty free store scams and can't wait for the flack I'll receive on that.

5% ?

check out the wine thing - now on that people have already stated they are changing ships - if this little fee is going to make people go - I will just shake mu head. You go ahead and start that thread - we get some deals - but no question you have to know your prices. You won't get flaming from me!

Or it could have been taken as a reminder or suggestion....

If one buys a mini package of minutes you could check in online, confirm your flight is on schedule, print a boarding pass, check email.....

IMO comparing Oceania to HAL is comparing apples to oranges..

Sure Oceania may give us free Internet, & free specialty restaurants, etc. but we pay more per night for that service..

With Friends, we booked a Bermuda cruise on Oceania's Regatta in April of 2011 & the cabin we were in was $472.00 per night..

Six months earlier in August of 2010 we cruised on HAL's Veendam to Bermuda & the same cabin, which BTW was larger than our Regatta cabin, cost us $432.00 per night...That's approx. 10% more than our HAL cabin..;)

So no matter how you figure it you are still paying extra for those so called "Freebies" one way or another..

I keep track of how much we've paid per night for every cruise we've taken..HAL has not significantly increased their cabin prices since we started cruising on them in the late 90's..

IMO if Psgrs. expect free things such as printing, restaurants, water etc, they better be willing to pay more for their cabins..

There is no reason why anyone should dispute paying $.25 for a boarding pass when others have to pay for printing their pages of documents.. I'm one who thinks that $.25 per page is a good deal..

Betty

P.S. never got to Bermuda on Oceania, because the seas were too high & Captain decided we would have a miserable crossing... So we just cruised up the Eastern Seaboard & spent more time in Charleston & Williamsburrg...Cruise still was great, & we had no cooking, cleaning, dishes etc. for 14 days..

Edited by serendipity1499

Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and was astonished to see a 25 cent charge to print out a boarding pass. So after paying outrageous rates for under-performing internet, HAL wants another quarter to print out your boarding pass. Give me a break!

Welcome to the HAL Boards....:rolleyes:

We no longer print our boarding passes much to the dismay of the airline. We either use their kiosk in the airport or a app on our I-phones.

.25-cents does seem a little silly and I do understand where you are coming from.

This whole fee thing around internet use and printing is interesting. Cheap hotels provide free internet and printing. The more expensive hotels only offer free internet in the lobby and charge when you are in room.. Go Figure!

Maybe the new wine policy will improve revenue enough that HAL can provide some free printing?:eek:

Edited by MR NW GUY

Did anyone else receive this email from Hal?

"Holland America line in our continuing effort to maintain low fares announce the following policy changes effective January 1, 2014. Beginning on that date throughout the fleet Holland America announces the following:

1. There will be a 2 cent charge for pillow chocolates.

2. There will be a 25 cent charge for waffle cones for ice cream.

3. There will be a 5 cent discard charge per bottle for all wine bottles brought onboard.

Guests have the option of opting out of receiving the above amenities by contacting the Front Office. Guests who elect the above will see the new charges simply added into their daily gratuity fee. Holland America regrets any inconvenience this new policy will have on our guests but these optional service requests affect our bottom line significantly and when taken in totality the new charges will offset any fare increase in the near future. Holland America will be exploring providing these services in our new star mariner program at no additional cost to our most loyal guests."

OK folks lighten up the above is a joke. Not going to win the OP's point on this board so let's put this to bed.

bob

When I noticed a sign stating there was a 25 cent charge for printing boarding passes, my perception was this was kind of chintzy. ... So, my point is why instill a negative image when it can be easily avoided by just eliminating the sign or just have it state 25 cents per page for printing?
I'm sorry, but I just don't see any meaningful distinction between "25 cents per boarding pass" and "25 cents per page for printing".

I have been following this thread, and find it very interesting. First and foremost, most of the talk about "nickel and diming" concerns goods or services that are only used by a portion of the cruise population. So why is there a problem with those people, and only those people, covering the cost of providing that good or service?

As to the sign about the $.25 cost for printing boarding passes. I can't find anything in what I have saved to back this up, but I believe that there has always been a "per page" price for printing anything. From what I remember, it was greater than the $.25 for boarding passes - so perhaps this was a "special" reduced rate for boarding passes only.

Sounds like fun. lets go

If that all it takes to give them a negative impression I wish they would go to another line. Those folks are way, way too needy.

Spoken like a true business person.

What I hear is a true business person knows 20% of the people will make 80% of the complaints. So it can be more efficient to take care of the other 80% who like the product or service and get rid of the 20% who do not. Except then that 20% later make 100% of the noise. :cool:

Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and was astonished to see a 25 cent charge to print out a boarding pass. So after paying outrageous rates for under-performing internet, HAL wants another quarter to print out your boarding pass. Give me a break!

Just found your thread...we were on the same cruise. We did the Luggage Direct program and HAL printed out our Jet Blue boarding passes...much to my surprise! I didn't see the sign on the computers in the Explorations Café, so this was a surprise. I printed out our Meet and Greet list four the Cruise Critic Roll Call...I never noticed if I was charged for that. I don't pay much attention to the small stuff.

Edited by innlady1

What I hear is a true business person knows 20% of the people will make 80% of the complaints. So it can be more efficient to take care of the other 80% who like the product or service and get rid of the 20% who do not. Except then that 20% later make 100% of the noise. :cool:

The old mantra I was taught in business is that 20% of the people make you 80% of your money. The rule was - take care of the 20% and the rest will take care of itself:) If some of the complaints come from those 20%, it's definitely worth listening to.

Myself, I don't have a problem paying the 25 cents, nor do I see an issue but if the complainer was one of their more profitable clients, it might be worth listening to.