"LIVE" from Grandeur of the Seas- Bermuda / Nov 1, 2013

Radio

Hello everyone. Good Morning. . . Welcome to day 4 of “LIVE” from Grandeur of the Seas.

I slept good last night, and woke up this morning with the sounds of heavy rain smacking on my balcony. No worries as the rain should end by around 10-11 this morning and it will be cloudy throughout the day, but it shouldn’t rain this afternoon. The winds are a little heavy today (25-30nmh) but I can do a few things without getting soaked.

I was going over to Tobacco Bay Beach and the Ordnance Island area in St. Georges, but I may decide to ride around Hamilton for a bit. There is a great coffee shop over in Hamilton I have been known to frequent, and I know that the Seas Express ferries that go to Hamilton will allow scooters. You have to pay an additional $4 for the scooter, but it will keep me from driving my scooter all the way to Hamilton. Of course, all of these plans may alter depending on what may happen, but I will spend the day in Bermuda (rain or shine)

I have dinner scheduled at Izumi for around 630PM (Thanks MedicKen and Cruiselover58) I will have many pics later today. Grandeur of the Seas has 2 Centrum “Wow” performances tonight, and the will be a Tropical Deck party late tonight up on Deck 9. Today will be a long day in Bermuda and I am ready to go!

Here are a few pics from last night and this morning . . . Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

I had a very nice dinner last night in the MDR

SU38.JPG

The “All Access” Production show was full of energy.

SU41.JPG

I could hear the heavy rain showers this morning when I looked outside. . .

M7.JPG

The sun may not be out today, but it WILL stop raining. . .

M6.JPG

I better bring a towel to dry off the seat of my scooter !

M2.JPG

I’m off to see what I can see. . .

M1.JPG

Edited by Radio

I was wondering where you parked the scooter for the next day:confused:. I thought maybe they gave you a ticket of purchase for the time you would use it and you had to turn it in and go get it again the next day. That's so cool they allow you to leave it outside the ship like that.

Edited by Stella777

Hi Radio! Thanks for the updates...I love reading them! I'm sailing on the Grandeur this Friday :) If you have a chance, can you let me know if they have only digital karaoke or if guests can bring their own cd's? If you don't have a chance, no worries. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!! :)

Radio, your pictures are so awesome that I am using them as a desk background on my laptop:eek:! Right now I have the one where you are sailing into Bermuda and the sun is shining on the deck. You only see a quarter of the ship on the left,then the deck with the lifeboats above, and the water on the right, and the island is straight ahead...that picture. I just love it. I am interchanging them as I keep finding yet another one that I have taken a fancy to:D.

Hello everyone . . .Good morning and Welcome to Day 5 of “LIVE” from Grandeur of the Seas. The following post was supposed to be made last night before I retired; however, Mother Nature took its course, and I zonked out quickly, so I can’t blame it on the wireless connection! Let’s begin

I got off of the Ship around 10 AM and was trying to think what my plans would be for the day. I decided I would take the Ferry over to St Georges, but they no longer will allow scooters so I had to wait for the next Ferry to Hamilton. It is a short ride, and the cost was only $4 per passenger (Plus $4 for the Scooter) I was able to find the Rock Island Café that serves some very good coffee. I was surprised to see that there were hundreds of Cruise Ship passengers in Hamilton. . .It seemed like everywhere I turned I could see the Grandeur of the Seas passengers.

I took a ride over to St. George. I was happy to see that the forecast was correct and there was no rain for the whole day. But, it was very windy and cloudy all day. The sun did start to peek out in the afternoon. On my way over to the east side, I stopped briefly at the L.F. Wade International Airport, where I took a quick bio and coffee break. St George was very quiet; there were not many tourists there, but I stopped and looked around remembering when I cruised to St. George with Norwegian Majesty and it was nice to stay there for 3 nights.

I drove over to Gates Fort at the St Georges cut where the cruise ships would navigate through the narrow passage. I then went up to St. Catherine’s Beach Area to look around. I saw a lot of beaches through my journey but the water was too cold for anyone to be enjoying the beaches.

On the way back to Hamilton, I stopped briefly at Flatts Village and of course, I had to take an image or 2. I was able to grab a SeaExpress Ferry back to the Dockyard but I had to take the local Ferry which stopped at Rockaway and Somerset Village before making a final stop at the Dockyard. Let me tell you that the ferry ride back to the Dockyard was like a roller coaster. Seas were very rough and the SeaExpress Ferry was very fast. Passengers on the inside did not have too much of a concern, but I wanted to take some images so I stayed on the second level of the Ferry and I got SOAKED. (Note to Radio: Take a poncho next time!)

I made it back to Grandeur of the Seas just in time to get cleaned up for dinner. I really loved dinner at Izumi last night. It was an experience that you must try. The Izumi house special is the “Hot Rock”, a volcanic rock, heated for 12 hours to about 525F, upon which you grill your food. The food really sizzles once it is placed on the rock. The waiters will cook the food for you, or you can do it yourself. Just don’t touch the rock! (Ouch!)

After dinner, I went to the Love and Marriage game show which is always a riot. The passengers selected were extremely funny, and will be recognized throughout the cruise. I stopped briefly in my cabin for a moment to rest before “Dancing Under the Stars” at 10:45 PM, but once my head hit the pillow, I was down for the count.

Today, my plans are to hang around the Dockyard. All passengers must be back on board by 3:30PM.

Here are a few pics from last night and this morning . . . Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

I had to stop at Phoenix Pharmacy for a little fresh nutrition. . .

M10.JPG

The SeaExpress Ferry to St Georges would not allow scooters so I had to

wait 30 min for the next one to Hamilton.

M12.JPG

The ride over took about 20 minutes

M15.JPG

These ferries can pack a lot of passengers. . .

M16.JPG

The infamous “Bobbie in a Birdcage” was directing traffic. . .

M17.JPG

I think there may be more scooters than cars in Bermuda

M18.JPG

Edited by Radio

Here are a few more.

Radio

I didn’t have a Rum Swizzle, but I sat for a soft drink at the Swizzle Inn

M20.JPG

No Starbucks in an Airport ? I can’t believe this. . .

M22.JPG

No worries. . I found some fresh java at the departure gate

M23.JPG

I made it to St. Georges to look around this quiet town

M25.JPG

I saw the Pilot Station that will service Grandeur of the Seas Tuesday, on

Ordnance Island in St.Georges.

M26.JPG

I went over the St. Georges cut, where smaller Cruise Ships dock on the East side.

M28.JPG

Edited by Radio

Here are a few more.

Radio

The waves were crashing against the rocks over at the “Cut”

M27.JPG

There is no beach activity at Fort St Catherine. . .

M29.JPG

I stopped briefly at Flatts Village on the way back to Hamilton

M19.JPG

The ride back to the Dockyard was a thrill ride !

M30.JPG

Ahh. . . We can see Grandeur while coming in.

M31.JPG

The protected waters of the Dockyard area brings smiles to the SeaExpress passengers

M32.JPG

OK, these are the last few pics for this morning. I have to get off the ship for my final explorations in Bermuda. Oh yeah, and I need some coffee too!!

Radio

I had a great dinner last night at Izumi

M36.JPG

I started with some California Roll

M34.JPG

The Hot Rock really “sizzles” the all of the vegetables and beef. . .

M35.JPG

The Palladium Theater starts to fill up for the Love and Marriage Show

M38.JPG

This show is always very, very funny !

M39.JPG

The sun is rising up for our final morning on this chilly day

M40.JPG

Radio, your photos brought back a lot of memories. We sailed to Bermuda many times on smaller ships. I miss that the ships can no longer dock in Hamilton and St. Georges. I remember going through the cut to St. Georges and the Town Crier would be on the rocks to welcome the ship.

Theresa

Edited by psupa

Hello, The OP is talking about a Phoenix Pharmacy, but the pharmacy is named Dockyard Pharmacy, not Phoenix. It is one of a dozen or so stores privately owned by a company called The Phoenix Stores and each of the pharmacies have their own name. My wife knows because we shopped in Hamilton at one of the stores owned by the Phoenix group and I paid the bill for pricey sunglasses. :cool: Hope this helped some people to not be confused.