I wish I would have brought....

Hi, all. I am going on my first cruise (Granduer - 9 days out of Baltimore) and I was wondering for those of you who have been on one before, do you recollect anything you wish you would have brought with you on your first cruise, but didn't think to bring?

Shoo

First Time Cruiser

My own hairdryer. I have long hair and the one they provide in the cabins only works if you hold the button in while using it. This can get very tiring on your thumb if it takes a while to dry your hair.

I was recently on the Grandeur nine night cruise.

I wished I had brought a safety pin or sewing kit for the hem on my pants that came down the first day we boarded(you don't get your suitcases delivered until later that day or evening)

I also wished I had brought hand sanitizer after I had to use a restroom in Mexico! :eek:

clock for the room, travel sewing kit (needle & thread), multiple outlet adapter, more film (digital cards), less clothes, more bathing suits, fanny pack, night light (only if in an inside cabin) my own snorkel equipment, more sunscreen, aloe vera gel for sunburn.

I bring it all now.

We sailed our first cruise in hurricane Hugo. Boy did we need them. :( I never sailed another cruise without them. We have had to use them on almost every cruise.

I get them in the dollar stores and toss them out after the cruise.

I wish I'd brought a highlighter to mark the things that interested us in the Daily Compass. Since there was so much to see/do we often forgot about something we had wanted to do. A highlighter would have definitely helped.

I also wish I'd had a travel sized first aid kit or at least neosporin, like someone else mentioned. I cut my leg in Jamaica, and it got nastily infected within a couple of days. When we got to Cozumel, I had to go buy peroxide at a pharmacy.

We did take a clear over-the-door shoe holder, in which we put often used things like sunscreen, seapasses, etc. It was a lifesaver, and it's already in my suitcase, ready for my next cruise.

Other good things to take: power strip, sticky notes (to leave notes for room steward), aloe vera gel for sunburn, travel size sewing kit, and Downy Wrinkle Release.

I really should take less shoes and clothes, but I probably won't. :D

That's a wonderful point about the binoculars mcarnett. We have 2 pair of the travel size, and they always seem to be in the OTHER suitcase. We had whales and dolphins and this last cruise, and rummaged around, and couldn't find either pair. :)

Here are some tips that I would like to pass along that I have learned from cruising...

1. Take a carry on bag with you that has your swimming attire & change of clothes to lounge in after traveling. (What you would like to wear to dinner). But mainly the swimming attire so you can begin to enjoy your cruise before your suitcases arrive.

2. When packing your clothes--if you are traveling with another person...in each suitcase pack half his clothes half your clothes--that way if a suitcase gets separated and you don't get all your luggage, one of you will not be without clean clothes (or underwear). Something to think about. Smile

3. Things that were helpful in the room....air freshner (for the bathroom), duck tape (for any kind of repairs), highlighters (for the daily initeraries--one color for you and one for your husband), fanny pak with hand sanitizer in it to carry with you. Cell phone was great to be able to use in St. Thomas. Batteries (for camera), sunscreen & aloe vera gel. Sunglasses. We also bought a water tight container to hold our passports/money/seapass card in while going into the water. This went into the fanny pack.

4. Last thing --first aid kit, tums, tylenol.

Sorry so long, hope this helps someone.

Catherine

My own hairdryer. I have long hair and the one they provide in the cabins only works if you hold the button in while using it. This can get very tiring on your thumb if it takes a while to dry your hair.

spammie: that's another way that a piece of duct tape comes in handy. Just tape the button in the "on" position. :D

Carol

On my first cruise many years ago the thing that I realized I need to always bring was bottled water. Especially in countries such as the obvious Mexico where the water supply is subjct to concern, it is hot and you will need water on your excursions. Oh sure the cruise ship sells water, and it is so easy to just put on your sign sail account. The cruise line is proud of their water and it will cost you. I usually buy a at least case of water and just put it in one of the other carry on's.

I bring a pop up hamper and put it in the closet. This saves you from pulling the suitcases out from under the bed all the time to put the dirty clothes in.

I also bring a bottle of liquid hand soap for the bathroom and air freshner. These go to the room steward afterwards. They seem to really appreciate it.

Cindy ;)

More money, more clothes. There is not a suitcase large enough to fit in everything I want to take on a cruise. Which is odd because I can travel anywhere else in a duffelbag or a roll-a-board and be happy for up to two weeks!

Archived