Tendering in Tortola?

voyager89

I came across this on the web:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/10/articles/caribbean-islands/carnival-drops-tortola/

I know its about Carnival, and I know most people here hates Jim Walker, but it has something interesting by the Carnival spokeswoman saying their cruise terminal is being overhauled and passengers might be tendered to shore.

I am going to Tortola in January and I really do not want the ship to tender. I have read horrible reviews when ship tenders, to be more specific on board the Jewel OTS, taking hours to come back and forth.

Has anybody here been to Tortola recently?

Thanks!

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/10/articles/caribbean-islands/carnival-drops-tortola/

I know its about Carnival, and I know most people here hates Jim Walker, but it has something interesting by the Carnival spokeswoman saying their cruise terminal is being overhauled and passengers might be tendered to shore.

I am going to Tortola in January and I really do not want the ship to tender. I have read horrible reviews when ship tenders, to be more specific on board the Jewel OTS, taking hours to come back and forth.

Thanks!

Your itinerary will denote whether it is a tender port. Also all tender ports are listed in RCCL's website.

Thanks!

No, it does not take hours back and forth when a ship tenders. About 10 or 15 minutes usually. Done it many times, twice on my Med. cruise in October. Sure, would prefer to dock but it's usually not horrible.

Thanks!

I have tendered from the Jewel (in Belize) and there were no problems at all.

We go in two weeks, ill let you know what I see, but as of now, it's a docking port.

Thank you

Yes, I know that tendering should not be an issue, but I just keep on thinking of a review I read a couple of months ago on a cruise to New England that there were only 2 ships to tender and it was takign forever and then one stopped working when got stuck with a lobster tramp or something like that and well. :eek:

Just sayin.....your chances of having a problem with a tender is thousands and thousands of times less than being in a car wreck in Mexico City.

Still, I respect your concerns and would say that we have had no issues on any of our cruises at tender ports.

None have been cancelled, none have been as rough as the few reports mentioned here on CC. This makes me wonder if those reports are somewhat "embellished".

We have tendered, often more that once, at Princess Cays, Grand Cayman, Belize, Cabo San Lucas and San Juan del Sur. (maybe others that I forgot)

The Carnival dock is what is mentioned here as being affected. Since you are not on Carnival why the concern? Unless RCCL tells you it is tendering don't worry about what CCL has to do.

There is only one very small dock in Tortola. Been there, done that.:

"Ships dock and anchor in Tortola. The pier can only hold 2 ships, however, so if more are in port, it will require tendering. Both pier and tender drop-off are located directly in Road Town, the capital of Tortola."

The Carnival dock is what is mentioned here as being affected. Since you are not on Carnival why the concern? Unless RCCL tells you it is tendering don't worry about what CCL has to do.

There is no "carnival dock"

Thanks for your concern anyway

There is only one very small dock in Tortola. Been there, done that.:

"Ships dock and anchor in Tortola. The pier can only hold 2 ships, however, so if more are in port, it will require tendering. Both pier and tender drop-off are located directly in Road Town, the capital of Tortola."

Luckily we will be the only ship that day, meaning we will be able to enjoy Tortola and Virgin Gorda without bug crowds. So technically we shouldnt tender, but if it is indeed in repairs or whatever we might

Thank you for the information.

Archived