CRUISE CRITIC door signs?

myheart53

I just recently deleted my link to the CC door sign, as I don't use it, and haven't used it in years.

There's a couple of reasons not to advertise where my cabin is. I travel alone, and don't want to be found by people unless I know who they are. Not using a poster helps in that regard.

The use of the word "Critic" can draw negative attention from people who don't know what the website is all about.

I just recently deleted my link to the CC door sign, as I don't use it, and haven't used it in years.

There's a couple of reasons not to advertise where my cabin is. I travel alone, and don't want to be found by people unless I know who they are. Not using a poster helps in that regard.

The use of the word "Critic" can draw negative attention from people who don't know what the website is all about.

Good points, Ruth. I haven't used a door sign since the Good Nuts cruise...that seems like ages ago! I very rarely see door decorations on HAL. Can't remember the last time for that, too.

I remember, a while back, that I saw where you could print your Cruise Critic Door sign, now I can't find it. Do people still do this? Are there reasons why you shouldn't? Let me know your experiences with this, good or bad:)

Completely agree with Ruth on this..We've never used a CC door sign for that exact reason..In addition we don't want others knocking on our cabin door to give us their "critique" of the cruise erroneously believing we are journalists.. :eek::eek: LOL

Betty

I totally agree. It's unfortunate, but I have reason to say there are certainly some people on CC I would never want to be found by onboard the ship, so putting my CC name on my cabin door or advertising the fact that I am a member is a no-no!

We never put a cruise critic door sign.

I have found the cabin stewards/room service stewards don't understand even when I explain what cruise critic is. They have seen luggage tags and other things in our cabin with cruise critic on it and they get nervous we are going to be 'writing about them'. It is no desire of mine to make them uncomfortable in any way.

Last cruise was the first time I have put something on my door. It was an origami penguin. I found it helped me find my cabin among so many look-alike doors. (And being we usually book starboard, the port side took some adjustment). The only drawback was they kept disappearing..... Over 3 weeks they "migrated" and had to be replaced 5-6 times. (It really was not a big deal though.).

From now on I will bring something for the door but it won't specifically identify me or say anything about CC.

If you really want to put up something that identifies you as with CC, maybe a small badge logo or spelling out the name in nautical signal flags. I have used this as part of the nametag template for M&G nametags. It says it- but is subtle.

I cheated one year and used the cc door sign for a sign for the sail away:)

It worked out quite well too:D

I think the door sign thing is very personal. I've seen lots of signs, decorations on certain ships and few on others. It just depends on the ship, the itinerary and the passengers:D

It's not something we do - but my roll call all knows how to find us anyways:)

I must be related to the Grinch but I'm not a fan of door art. :o Years ago, I think on the old Celebrity Galaxy, they actually put our names on a business card size piece of light card stock in a holder next to our cabin door and I wasn't even fond of that. :)

I've never had an issue with the CC door sign posted on my cabin and use it on each cruise. Mine is printed on 5" x 7" photo paper with a magnet on the back.

I have done this on past cruises. Once, someone left me a note under the door asking to critique the cruise. I did not respond. :D

I must be related to the Grinch but I'm not a fan of door art. :o Years ago, I think on the old Celebrity Galaxy, they actually put our names on a business card size piece of light card stock in a holder next to our cabin door and I wasn't even fond of that. :)

Ditto !

Princess had stickers on the mailbox with our names. I promptly removed it and the steward never replaced it. We still got our personal mail.

We wouldn't like that either.

No need to put our name on our door.

We wouldn't like that either.

No need to put our name on our door.

They also used my professional title so the tag read "Dr and Mrs" but I don't typically use that outside of work. I'm a clinical psychologist with a PhD not an MD and I don't want any confusion. I long time ago got over any ego trip connected with my studies and it actually became quite common within the profession not to use the title especially when working in a mixed health care environment with "real" doctors. :)

Ditto !

Princess had stickers on the mailbox with our names. I promptly removed it and the steward never replaced it. We still got our personal mail.

To this day, Princess still prints a small card with the cabin occupants' names (you can tell their loyalty program level by the color of the card) and places it in the holder outside the door. From my experience, the vast majority of people leave the card in place. There seems to be little cause for concern there on the Princess boards about it. I'm not sure why people here are so concerned about this; can someone explain? I'm not saying we're not entitled to our privacy and anonymity and it's obviously a matter of personal choice, I'm just curious why people seem so concerned.

Edited by 0bnxshs

To this day, Princess still prints a small card with the cabin occupants' names (you can tell their loyalty program level by the color of the card) and places it in the holder outside the door. From my experience, the vast majority of people leave the card in place. There seems to be little cause for concern there on the Princess boards about it. I'm not sure why people here are so concerned about this; can someone explain? I'm not saying we're not entitled to our privacy and anonymity and it's obviously a matter of personal choice, I'm just curious why people seem so concerned.

I can only speak for myself. As an older woman, traveling alone, I consider it a matter of personal security.

It's one thing to head out to/back from public areas when there are others also out and about. It's another thing entirely to return to the cabin alone late at night when there are no others around to see what's going on.

There's little likelihood of danger, but there's no reason to take a chance, either.

I can only speak for myself. As an older woman, traveling alone, I consider it a matter of personal security.

It's one thing to head out to/back from public areas when there are others also out and about. It's another thing entirely to return to the cabin alone late at night when there are no others around to see what's going on.

There's little likelihood of danger, but there's no reason to take a chance, either.

Ruth, I agree and fully understand. Thanks for the reply. :)

I am an outspoken poster here and often post opinions not popular to all.

No need for someone who doesn't much care for me on CC to know 'where I live" when on a ship. :rolleyes:

Yet I continue to 'be who I am'. :D

I have been attacked more than once on CC and have no desire for such verbal confrontation while vacationing with my DH.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't put our names up in front of our house, and I don't put them up beside our hotel room door when travelling, so I don't understand why I might want to put them up beside my cabin door. If I have friends or family on board to whom who I'd like to provide the information, I'll do it privately. What am I missing here? :confused:

Only did it once and a couple of people thought I was a travel writer and kept knocking on my door. Would never do it again. However I do tie balloons to my mailbox to mark my cabin if I'm located off a long hallway.

I am an outspoken poster here and often post opinions not popular to all.

No need for someone who doesn't much care for me on CC to know 'where I live" when on a ship. :rolleyes:

Yet I continue to 'be who I am'. :D

I have been attacked more than once on CC and have no desire for such verbal confrontation while vacationing with my DH.

I guess I'm in the same "boat" as you !:D LOL I 'm also quite outspoken & many of my opinions are not popular at all.. I don't put it up only because I've had the same experience as Solocanadian had.. Also DH sleeps late & often takes a nap in the afternoon or goes back to the cabin right after dinner to rest.. I don't want him disturbed..

However, since DH also has some Memory problems & often wants to go back to our cabin to take a nap while I'm doing something aboard the ship, I put a small picture of our dog up on the door.. Our Friends who are usually next door do the same..This way DH will not have to keep looking in his wallet for the cabin number if he happens to want to go back to the cabin without me..

Betty