HAL's rep with agents

LindaM

My TA's assistant called yesterday to ask about the hotels HAL put us up at on our last cruise. She asked if we were the youngest people on the ship. She knows our ages---we are 61,62. I was somewhat taken aback and a little insulted. She knows we love Prinsendam, although I don't think she knows much about the ship. She's an Azamara fan.

I know I can be a little thin skinned---I'm sure she didn't mean anything, other than her opinion of HAL. I've made comments about the predominant age group on HAL here on CC, but I never felt I was the youngest on the ship. I had to explain that to sail in Europe, people need to have some stamina...so people onboard could have been older age-wise, but they certainly kept up with those in their 40's and 50's.

Hope that HAL keeps this in mind as they ponder altering the new wine policy, and how that attitude about HAL effect's bookings.

The way I read it, Linda was commenting on the perception by her TA that HAL caters to an older group of people. TAs are often asked about the demographics of a cruise line when clients are looking for a line they would feel comfortable (including their wine policy)traveling with.

Edited by Scrapnana

I wish that TA (and others who make those age comments) could have been on the first week of our Collectors Cruise on the Westerdam in March. Younger adults (28-45) outnumbered us "old folk" considerably. :rolleyes: I've repeated that comment several times ... but most people choose to believe the "hearsay." Our second week was different, partly due to a "special" group onboard.

Edited by Linda&Vern

We are also early 60s and have felt like youngsters compared to most of the folks on our HAL cruises. Definitely an older crowd on the longer itineraries, but with many amazing stories to share, and many of them in better shape than we are!

My TA's assistant called yesterday to ask about the hotels HAL put us up at on our last cruise. She asked if we were the youngest people on the ship. She knows our ages---we are 61,62. I was somewhat taken aback and a little insulted. She knows we love Prinsendam, although I don't think she knows much about the ship. She's an Azamara fan.

I find this hilarious. If a travel agent's assistant bothered me at home with such a silly question I would hang up and find a new travel agent.

:rolleyes: Curious question. If someone is not over the age of, say 65 ... how would they be able to sail "longer" itineraries? I suspect that if someone retired due to their wealth by age "under 50" ... then HAL is not the line they are cruising anyway.

For 3 years I taught an agent at a well know TA office everything I could about HAL. :D Then I left her and started booking on my own.

I feel the same. My ta was supposed to be a cruise expert. I knew tons more than she did so it was time to say goodbye. I've learned a ton on here.

I was on a port intensive HAL cruise in Europe last month. Every day the 60, 70 and 80-somethings were up at 6 a.m., meeting up with tour groups and walking miles, seeing the sites, exploring,,,,,sometimes walking over rocky surfaces and climbing lots of stairs. They did this day after day in every port. It was exhausting, but lots of fun.

A few years back, I was on a RCI cruise in Mexico with a ship full of 30-somethings who managed enough energy to get drunk and sunburned every day.

I'll take the old-fogies on HAL.

Edited by Chelly

For 3 years I taught an agent at a well know TA office everything I could about HAL. :D Then I left her and started booking on my own.

Good move.

I had a TA like that for a while. :rolleyes:

I was on a port intensive HAL cruise in Europe last month. Every day the 60, 70 and 80-somethings were up at 6 a.m., meeting up with tour groups and walking miles, seeing the sites, exploring,,,,,sometimes walking over rocky surfaces and climbing lots of stairs. They did this day after day in every port. It was exhausting, but lots of fun.

A few years back, I was on a RCI cruise in Mexico with a ship full of 30-somethings who managed enough energy to get drunk and sunburned every day.

I'll take the old-fogies on HAL.

Great post!

Bless your heart. I will definitely have a problem w TA that knows less than I do. My current TA has taught me amazing tricks and useful tips. Recently she had saved me close to $600. We email , phone and text. Nothing like having a smart, knowledgeable and fast TA. Just like many articles said on CC. Very true.

Edited by Thebes

I always stop in and tell our TA the good, the bad and the ugly of our cruises when we return. She recommended HAL to us when we were in our 40s, and we've sailed with them since. She owns her own travel agency in a small town, so has to work hard to keep her business thriving. She has always worked hard for us and we appreciate her. A good TA may be hard to find.

And I agree, I'll take the "old fogies" on HAL over the young party animals on some other cruise lines any day.

And I agree, I'll take the "old fogies" on HAL over the young party animals on some other cruise lines any day.

Amen, and I am 43. My first HAL cruise was at age 36. I appreciate the quiet atmosphere. I lose energy in large, loud crowds. I'd rather sit in a teak lounger on the lower promenade reading my book (or an excellent one from the ship's library).

Wouldn't it be nice if TAs worried about knowing their product and their clients... and finding a good match between the two... instead of basing recommendations on overgeneralizations and stereotypes?

My current TA is great, but she already knew we loved HAL.

Edited by trvlcrzy

:rolleyes: Curious question. If someone is not over the age of, say 65 ... how would they be able to sail "longer" itineraries? I suspect that if someone retired due to their wealth by age "under 50" ... then HAL is not the line they are cruising anyway.

We were doing it and DH was not 65 nor was he retired. He simply elected to save vacation time and/or not be paid and we did our cruises. Don't misunderstand, they are arranged well in advance and take planning due to requests and arrangements for time off - one of the reasons our cruises are booked so far out:D

In return DH works the times when other people want to be off - like the days in between Christmas and New Years.

Edited by kazu

I know I can be a little thin skinned---I'm sure she didn't mean anything, other than her opinion of HAL. I've made comments about the predominant age group on HAL here on CC, but I never felt I was the youngest on the ship. I had to explain that to sail in Europe, people need to have some stamina...so people onboard could have been older age-wise, but they certainly kept up with those in their 40's and 50's.

Hope that HAL keeps this in mind as they ponder altering the new wine policy, and how that attitude about HAL effect's bookings.

Maybe she just values your opinion. That would be a compliment to you. :)

:rolleyes: Curious question. If someone is not over the age of, say 65 ... how would they be able to sail "longer" itineraries?

Define "longer". When I was working I got 32 "use it or lose it" vacation days per year. That's in addition to the 28 "carry over" days I was allowed to keep on the books. I routinely took cruises in excess of 30 days, as when you figure the weekends and holidays, they were much less than the 32 vacation days charged.

One time I did ask for time to take a cruise that was 63 days (I had enough days on the books), but the vacation time was denied. I didn't blame them, as I would have said "No" to my request, too ;).

Define "longer". When I was working I got 32 "use it or lose it" vacation days per year. That's in addition to the 28 "carry over" days I was allowed to keep on the books. I routinely took cruises in excess of 30 days, as when you figure the weekends and holidays, they were much less than the 32 vacation days charged.

One time I did ask for time to take a cruise that was 63 days (I had enough days on the books), but the vacation time was denied. I didn't blame them, as I would have said "No" to my request, too ;).

I thought I had a lot of holidays. Wow, that is a lot. I think that is pretty unusual for folks living in the USA.

I always stop in and tell our TA the good, the bad and the ugly of our cruises when we return. She recommended HAL to us when we were in our 40s, and we've sailed with them since. She owns her own travel agency in a small town, so has to work hard to keep her business thriving. She has always worked hard for us and we appreciate her. A good TA may be hard to find.

I'll take the old fogies too. At 52 I find I feel more comfortable with 70 year olds then 30 year olds.

I thought I had a lot of holidays. Wow, that is a lot. I think that is pretty unusual for folks living in the USA.

I worked a long time, including days with vacation in lieu of wages, to build up that time.

One important thing to keep in mind when considering age "demographics"....

Age is mind over matter....If you don't mind, it don't matter!

We first started sailing HAL when we were 48. I too would rather be with the HAL demographics.