A 'safe' travel bag

Anubi

I want to purchase a 'safe' travel bag, the kind that sling over the body and are held in front, not to large but large enough to hold vital items like passports, credit cards, cash, tickets, and a pen because it never fails that you get to the airport and you have to fill out some %$#* document and of course, there isn't a pen in sight. So room for a pen is a must!! :p

I have done a bit of reading, actually too much I think :rolleyes:, and some say that RFID is a must and other articles that say that RFID is a waste of time. I have checked out Pacsafe, Daymakers and various other websites that sell all kinds of interesting items to help prevent theft and with all the avaliable items, it feels like we're barely one step ahead of the thieves!! :eek:

Now that I am completely confused, I come to CC for answers from those who travel way more than I do. Any opinions?

If your research hasn't included any "hands on" viewing yet, you might want to pop in to your nearest MEC store. They have an assortment of Pacsafe equipment, including front-mounted slings. I'm looking at the Venturesafe 150 GII Anti‑Theft Cross Body Pack.

I have two Pacsafe bags, both of which can be worn across the front of the body or hang on a shoulder. I have been very pleased with both. I generally use the larger one more often as it has elastic pockets which are perfect for a water bottle. Both have the RFID feature, but we also use RFID sleeves around credit cards and our passports.

I also have been very happy with my Pacsafe bags (I have 2 in different sizes). I love the various pockets for organization, the adjustable pockets for a water bottle and/or umbrella, the detachable strap (that you can loop through your chair), and the clip to secure the zipper.

I want to purchase a 'safe' travel bag, the kind that sling over the body and are held in front, not to large but large enough to hold vital items like passports, credit cards, cash, tickets, and a pen because it never fails that you get to the airport and you have to fill out some %$#* document and of course, there isn't a pen in sight. So room for a pen is a must!! :p

I love the Baggallini Bon Voyage crossbody bag that can hold all that stuff and more in many zippered pockets. 6.5" w x 9" h x 2.5" d, 11.5 oz.

Many colors available.

2007LS_bonvoyage_bagg.jpg

bvg355_large_open12780922454c2e23d50399b.jpg

See more photos here:

http://www.baggallini.com/product/Bon-Voyage-Bagg/Baggallini-Crossbody-Bags

You might want to look at Baggallini's other crossbody bags, too.

I'm going to join the chorus and say I have a PacSafe purse that I'm very happy with. It easily goes across my body, has a number of different pockets that make it easy to find things quickly, and all are secure. I went with one of the smaller models, I don't really need all that much for sightseeing. I do think all are RFID now, it can't hurt. I should also add that I researched the purses available, then bought it on Amazon at a better price than anywhere else (and free shipping too, of course!)

I have an ebags generic version of the pacsafe - it's the Piazza day bag. It's a small cross body much like the one Arusha posted.

The bag isn't RFID safe, but I bought a wallet which does have the RFID protection. It's a travelon brand wallet which I got from ebags too.

I bought one of those 'safe purses'. It was so heavy and the strap so uncomfortable I purchased a regular purse on our trip and left the one with the metal in the strap in our hotel. So make sure you will be able to use it before you leave for your trip.

I'm going to join the chorus and say I have a PacSafe purse that I'm very happy with. It easily goes across my body, has a number of different pockets that make it easy to find things quickly, and all are secure. I went with one of the smaller models, I don't really need all that much for sightseeing. I do think all are RFID now, it can't hurt. I should also add that I researched the purses available, then bought it on Amazon at a better price than anywhere else (and free shipping too, of course!)

Amazon.ca is not the cheapest in Canada for the Venturesafe 150 GII Anti‑Theft Cross Body Pack. MEC appears to have the best price here. I can't speak for all the other Pacsafe items.

I have an ebags generic version of the pacsafe - it's the Piazza day bag. It's a small cross body much like the one Arusha posted.

The bag isn't RFID safe, but I bought a wallet which does have the RFID protection. It's a travelon brand wallet which I got from ebags too.

My wife bought a Pacsafe purse from Ebags it is rather small and carries everything that she feels she will need for traveling. It is RFID and slash proof. I have the wallet. Will try try them out on our next cruise. They seemed to be fairly reasonable.

.🎄🎅

I also have 2 PacSafe bags that I love, one in burgundy purchased from REI and one beige one from eBags. I bought a Travelon one for my most recent trip and I don't love it. It is very small (my intention) but it isn't secure.

If you are going to Barcelona or Rome or Naples, you may well want the PacSafe slash resistance, and yes, the straps are a bit heavy but I'm sensitive and wasn't bothered by them. The Piazza bag is great, but it doesn't have the slash resistance. Mine doesn't even have a lock, it is just a cross body bag. Baggalini - same thing, no locks, no safety measures.

My husband has 2 Pacsafe bags (one Metro-bag sort of smallish) and one backpack. Both have the "locks" that mean a pickpocket would have to work to get it open, and both have straps that can detach and wrap around something stationary to keep someone from snatch & grabbing it if you aren't paying attention.

My 2 PacSafes will hold a water bottle on the end, my camera inside (locked away, and I don't have one of the little cameras either), a small book - travel guide or novel - and my sunglasses in an easily accessible zipped side pocket. There are other safety measures, but I'm not sure about the RFID because I have an RFID wallet.

I have two Pacsafe bags, both of which can be worn across the front of the body or hang on a shoulder. I have been very pleased with both. I generally use the larger one more often as it has elastic pockets which are perfect for a water bottle. Both have the RFID feature, but we also use RFID sleeves around credit cards and our passports.

I like the fact that Pacsafe is slashproof - especially the straps and bottom of the bag. DH also bought a Pacsafe slashproof camera strap.

I have two. One larger and older than the other. it does not have the RFID built-in pocket like the newer purse. Could anyone recommend a Passport/Credit card wallet that will hold two passports?

While I like the appearance of the Baggallini bag posted by Arusha, it is not clear to me that the fabric has the anti-slash mesh. Does anyone who owns one know?

As as to RFID protection, my husband has a travel wallet with RFID protection. We also always keep our credit cards in lightweight RFID sleeves, even at home. We also bought the lightweight sleeves from Amazon for our passports.

PacSafe is the more well known brand but Magellans makes their own too. I haven't used them but have heard good things from friends.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I bought one from Magellan an I love it. Works great and it looks nice too.

Deb

I've been using my Pacsafe Metrosafe 100 for my regular bag since our Med cruise over a year ago. It can fit 8 passports or more, cellphone, small camera, and many credit cards/affinity cards. It has separate spaces for multiple currencies. It can even fit an iPad mini. The main zipper locks. It is slash proof. The newer versions have RFID blocking. It can fit cross-body, over one shoulder or around the waist.

Ebags sells everything! Shipping is usually free over $50 or so. I buy all my travel supplies from there. They usually send either overnight or two day by UPS. I have many of the baggallini bags and I'm very happy with their durability. They may not be the most stylish, but they're lightweight and well organized. You can always get a RFID wallet or just make your own sleeve for credit card with aluminum foil. :)

Like!

I've been using my Pacsafe Metrosafe 100 for my regular bag since our Med cruise over a year ago. It can fit 8 passports or more, cellphone, small camera, and many credit cards/affinity cards. It has separate spaces for multiple currencies. It can even fit an iPad mini. The main zipper locks. It is slash proof. The newer versions have RFID blocking. It can fit cross-body, over one shoulder or around the waist.

YES!!!! You must have read my mind. It was the passports I was most concerned about. Pacsafe it is then!!

Thanks to all for your replies. CC members are the best for information. :):)

Edited by Anubi