Expectations for Solstice

Not when it's advertised in isolation. Ads just say 5 star liner. Without comparison or explaining what that means - since there's no standard.

And then people have their own expectation of what that means, but come back disappointed that it's actually similar what they saw with another 4 star liner... or in some cases think a 3 star liner is better. :D

Have to say this is how I felt towards the Celebrity Solstice, gives the impression that it's a 5 star liner and all this jargon about it being the highest rated cruise ship out of Australia in their brochures but on-board was ran at the same level as every other mainstream cruise line out there. Everyone will have their own opinion of it and it was still an amazing cruise that I would go back on tomorrow. Most lines have something that really sets them apart, a point of difference for why people should choose them, for instance P&O put a great deal into their entertainment so are less concerned with being super luxurious, but Celebrity doesn't offer anything that they are really good at, aside from a really fancy ship.

It almost seems like the line has an identity crisis, promotes itself as "modern luxury" but then offers no more luxury than P&O or RC. :confused:

Can't expect passengers to research the bona fides and credentials of their ratings providers to understand the details of what has gone into a rating.

Is it any wonder people get the 'wrong expectation.' :rolleyes:

If that is what they are doing (or not doing in this case) then so be it.:D

We were on Solstice last Nov and also in Feb. We loved the ship and it is definitely our favourite so far. We love the modern feel of the ship and after being on Mariner of the seas in May, we couldn't believe the difference in the 2 ships as Solstice was so superior in every way.

We have just booked a last minute deal on Solstice again on Nov 28th so it will be interesting to see if any of the standards have changed. :rolleyes:

I really don't care about other peoples reviews as I will make my own assumptions.

Have to say this is how I felt towards the Celebrity Solstice, gives the impression that it's a 5 star liner and all this jargon about it being the highest rated cruise ship out of Australia in their brochures but on-board was ran at the same level as every other mainstream cruise line out there. Everyone will have their own opinion of it and it was still an amazing cruise that I would go back on tomorrow. Most lines have something that really sets them apart, a point of difference for why people should choose them, for instance P&O put a great deal into their entertainment so are less concerned with being super luxurious, but Celebrity doesn't offer anything that they are really good at, aside from a really fancy ship.

It almost seems like the line has an identity crisis, promotes itself as "modern luxury" but then offers no more luxury than P&O or RC. :confused:

From my own experience, I would have to respectfully disagree with a couple of points you have made. One "point of difference" that Celebrity has that other mainstream lines don't is Aqua Class. Another is the Lawn Club. I have sailed once on the Solstice in Aqua Class, and am going again in January ONLY because of Aqua Class. This year I opted for Celebrity over my other favourite line (HAL) because of this specific point of difference. (TBH I probably wouldn't chose Celebrity over HAL if I was just going for a standard balcony/outside/inside).

The other point that doesn't gel with me is that you state that Celebrity "offers no more luxury that P&O or RC". Well I haven't sailed RC, but will in December, but P&O? Luxury? I think it is a real stretch to relate the overall experience on X with P&O. Both X and P&O are perfectly good cruise lines and have their market. I really enjoy X, but have voted with my feet and prefer not to sail P&O when there are so many better (in my opinion) options sailing from Australia at the moment. My personal experience of both lines leads me to the overall impression that these two lines are a "couple of stars" apart.

Cheers,

From my own experience, I would have to respectfully disagree with a couple of points you have made. One "point of difference" that Celebrity has that other mainstream lines don't is Aqua Class. Another is the Lawn Club. I have sailed once on the Solstice in Aqua Class, and am going again in January ONLY because of Aqua Class. This year I opted for Celebrity over my other favourite line (HAL) because of this specific point of difference. (TBH I probably wouldn't chose Celebrity over HAL if I was just going for a standard balcony/outside/inside).

The other point that doesn't gel with me is that you state that Celebrity "offers no more luxury that P&O or RC". Well I haven't sailed RC, but will in December, but P&O? Luxury? I think it is a real stretch to relate the overall experience on X with P&O. Both X and P&O are perfectly good cruise lines and have their market. I really enjoy X, but have voted with my feet and prefer not to sail P&O when there are so many better (in my opinion) options sailing from Australia at the moment. My personal experience of both lines leads me to the overall impression that these two lines are a "couple of stars" apart.

Cheers,

Of course you are entitled too disagree, you have your opinion and I have my opinion.

Real grass on top of a ship was a novelty I have to agree, but too be completely honest after the first "wow" I can't say I ever actually spent any time on it aside from once leaving port.

People we went with were in Aquaclass and said it was a total waste of money along with others we met on the ship as the cabins were identical aside from a shower head, plus they said they didn't like Blu and that the Persian Garden wasn't really worth it either. I guess that just comes to personal preferences really and whether you would get your moneys worth out of it.

I didn't call P&O luxury at all, all I said is that from my personal experience with both these lines Celebrity as it a par with P&O in what they offer, which considering the cost difference and marketing is disappointing. I would happily choose Pacific Pearl any day over Celebrity Solstice unless the price for Solstice was lower. My personal experience of Radiance of the Seas was even more of a luxury experience than the Solstice which is ironic because Celebrity is meant to be RC's upmarket offering.

In my experience Princess is a far more upmarket line than any of the lines I have mentioned.

Maybe Celebrity have done some serious cost cutting recently or I just happened to be on a cruise where they were WAY off their standards, I just don't understand how people speak of them so highly. Everyone has their own opinion though and you're perfectly entitled to it :)

Just back from the Celebrity Solstice, all cruise ships are lovely to cruise on and same can be said for the Solstice, it was a brilliant cruise like every other one just I would say don't go in with high expectations that seem to surround this ship, or you will likely find yourself slightly disappointed. I found the experience was great, but not as good as sister line RC and thought P&O have better service and food(for the most part) which I really expected to find quite the opposite on Celebrity. RC's food leaves Celebrity's for dead in my opinion! Don't know if it's recent cuts or something but everyone spoke so highly of this ship which leaves you feeling really baffled by it on-board.

Have to say the ship itself and cabins are absolutely stunning though!!

Awesome holiday but just don't compare to other lines or have expectations of it being a lot better than other lines and you'll be happy;) Well not the way it's currently being operated anyway.:eek:

I'll be really interested to see other feedback for the Solstice cruising out of Australia and thoughts:rolleyes: Maybe I'm alone here?:p

Greetings; thanks for your comments on Celebrity Solstice. We are cruising on that ship 3 Feb 2014 ex Auckland to Perth (Freo). I read most of the responses and am keen to ask for more info. The main one being the cost of Beverages. We are a bit worried about 19 days of booking up a large bill between the two of us. The wife drinks wine & the odd cocktail now & then. I can drink anything, anytime, anyhow if she isn't watching. (typical West Ozzie from Perth). Any info on this is appreciated. Tks;

Greetings; thanks for your comments on Celebrity Solstice. We are cruising on that ship 3 Feb 2014 ex Auckland to Perth (Freo). I read most of the responses and am keen to ask for more info. The main one being the cost of Beverages. We are a bit worried about 19 days of booking up a large bill between the two of us. The wife drinks wine & the odd cocktail now & then. I can drink anything, anytime, anyhow if she isn't watching. (typical West Ozzie from Perth). Any info on this is appreciated. Tks;

My best guess is you should go with the drink package.

I suggest that you drink for one full sea day, and evaluate whether you would be better off getting a package or not.:D

Apart from food standards, I did not like Solstice because it had no real promenade deck, the library was a shocker, the corning glass exhibition and the grass lawn were of not much use to me, just gimmicky.

I thought the ship was just overrated, 4 star, not 5 star. Give me Princess (the American ones.)

Cocktails start from about $8-9 US up to $12 (though there are some basic ones around $7). Mainstream wines are mostly in the $7-9 range.

There is a compulsory 15% tip added on top.

They have a really wide range of alcoholic drinks - obviously it's a big revenue source!

Hi there :)

Unfortunately Celebrity gave their drinks a considerable hike in the transition from the US to Australian cruises, I can tell you this because it happened on the second or third day which made it blatantly obvious as our cruise was the first for the Australian season.

Out of Australia all prices include the gratuity-

A VB, Heineken, Corona etc now costs $7US

Peroni, Stella etc were $7.50

Crown Lager was $9.25

Jack Daniels was $8

A house spirit cocktail was around $8

Standard cocktails were $10.50

Martinis were $13

Molecular cocktails were $13.75

A coffee was $5.25

Best bet would be to consider a drinks package, you can either get classic which includes beers up to $7 (the cheapest available) and everything else up to $9.75 or the premium which includes all drinks valued up to $15. So despite the price increase the drinks package costs the same and covers a higher amount since the higher prices if that makes sense.

If you're a simple drinker the classic will suffice, however, if you can see yourself enjoying martinis or molecular (fancy) cocktails the premium is worth it. Both packages include bottled water, juice, coffee etc as well.

Also, a heads up that it is now cheaper to pre-book your beverage packages online as it is $5USD dearer per day once on-board.

Online-

Classic- $52AUD per day

Premium- $64AUD per day

On-board-

Classic- $56.50USD per day

Premium- $68USD per day

So when you factor in currency conversion it's far better to book them beforehand. As you're on a longer cruise locking yourself into drinking every day could be a bit much, best for you to decide for yourself :)

Apart from food standards, I did not like Solstice because it had no real promenade deck, the library was a shocker, the corning glass exhibition and the grass lawn were of not much use to me, just gimmicky.

I thought the ship was just overrated, 4 star, not 5 star. Give me Princess (the American ones.)

Yes, it gave me mixed impressions. There are nice differentiating features - but it's also removed from classical cruising, so as you point out the library and promenade are deficient. And even the internet library was! It's more like a hotel on water.

I'm hoping they've fixed their issues in the past year, although given how long the Martini bar has been out of service, that's questionable.

Yes, it gave me mixed impressions. There are nice differentiating features - but it's also removed from classical cruising, so as you point out the library and promenade are deficient. And even the internet library was! It's more like a hotel on water.

I'm hoping they've fixed their issues in the past year, although given how long the Martini bar has been out of service, that's questionable.

The Martini bar iced top is still out of action unfortunately :( It didn't stop the bartenders from putting on a show though, those guys are so entertaining, a real highlight!

From my experience, it seems as though they haven't fixed any of the issues they're having on-board unfortunately.

The Martini bar iced top is still out of action unfortunately :( It didn't stop the bartenders from putting on a show though, those guys are so entertaining, a real highlight!

From my experience, it seems as though they haven't fixed any of the issues they're having on-board unfortunately.

The Solstice Iced Martini bar was operational in March when we on board, what happened to it? I thought it was a nice feature, certainly popular and a great demonstration by bar tenders.

I hope they got rid of the table tennis tables in the passageways outside of the shops, very tacky that was and a nuisance.

Edited by NSWP

The Solstice Iced Martini bar was operational in March when we on board, what happened to it? I thought it was a nice feature, certainly popular and a great demonstration by bar tenders.

A problem with the cooling system. It no longer cools. :p

I hope they got rid of the table tennis tables in the passageways outside of the shops, very tacky that was and a nuisance.

I couldn't tell you what happened to it, but it definitely wasn't operational at all two weeks ago.

Well they moved them to the entertainment court now in between Celebrity Central and Quasar, still seems like a strange location to me though. :confused:

Hi there :)

Unfortunately Celebrity gave their drinks a considerable hike in the transition from the US to Australian cruises, I can tell you this because it happened on the second or third day which made it blatantly obvious as our cruise was the first for the Australian season.

Out of Australia all prices include the gratuity-

A VB, Heineken, Corona etc now costs $7US

Peroni, Stella etc were $7.50

Crown Lager was $9.25

Jack Daniels was $8

A house spirit cocktail was around $8

Standard cocktails were $10.50

Martinis were $13

Molecular cocktails were $13.75

A coffee was $5.25

Best bet would be to consider a drinks package, you can either get classic which includes beers up to $7 (the cheapest available) and everything else up to $9.75 or the premium which includes all drinks valued up to $15. So despite the price increase the drinks package costs the same and covers a higher amount since the higher prices if that makes sense.

If you're a simple drinker the classic will suffice, however, if you can see yourself enjoying martinis or molecular (fancy) cocktails the premium is worth it. Both packages include bottled water, juice, coffee etc as well.

Also, a heads up that it is now cheaper to pre-book your beverage packages online as it is $5USD dearer per day once on-board.

Online-

Classic- $52AUD per day

Premium- $64AUD per day

On-board-

Classic- $56.50USD per day

Premium- $68USD per day

So when you factor in currency conversion it's far better to book them beforehand. As you're on a longer cruise locking yourself into drinking every day could be a bit much, best for you to decide for yourself :)

Are you sure the prices didn't go up and it was just the 15% gratuity included.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

On Celebrity Solstice, March this year, bottled wine at dinner was expensive compared to other cruise lines, from memory zilch under $30, they would not serve the half litre carafes of wine one could get at the buffet for around $10.

Celebrity increased the drink prices because they knew the Colonials would still buy plenty. Thirsty creatures we are!

Edited by NSWP

My best guess is you should go with the drink package.

Thanks KarateMan;

I saw their beverage packages appear costly, but I think a good idea. I considered that once you are on-board they can charge what they like for any beverage as there is no competition. (within industry acceptance).

I suggest that you drink for one full sea day, and evaluate whether you would be better off getting a package or not.:D

Thanks MicCanberra; Good advice, I will take on board your suggestion.

Incidentally, I have searched & searched on the 'net for up to date Celebrity beverage prices and only found a couple of posts (none on Cruise Critic). But they were 5 and 6 years old. It seems very few discuss specific beverage costs when posting their holiday info. I think I will when I return.

Cocktails start from about $8-9 US up to $12 (though there are some basic ones around $7). Mainstream wines are mostly in the $7-9 range.

There is a compulsory 15% tip added on top.

They have a really wide range of alcoholic drinks - obviously it's a big revenue source!

Thanks Big_M

That helps in deciding on getting a beverage package for the wife. Being summer & relaxed, I think she will consume more than usual.