Wrong B. c.

lasefton

I'm am so glad I decided to get our passports . I got all the things together and went to the post office. I had my birth cert. I have used for everything . Guess what it's not the one they need. It is from the hosp. But it has a gold seal on it WRONG you can't use it . I can see I would have been standing on the dock as my ship pulled away come jan. :eek: So next step go 100 miles next week and get the one I need. Oh my god paper work !

Thanks goodness you found out in time, and you'll still have enough time to get your passport as well, right?

Good move.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

They said it would take 3 weeks we have 8 weeks before our cruise.

They said it would take 3 weeks we have 8 weeks before our cruise.

Glad everything is working out for you!

IMO everyone should have a passport..................lots of problems could be avoided. Lots of threads here at CC about not having the right documentation.

Glad everything is working out for you!

IMO everyone should have a passport..................lots of problems could be avoided. Lots of threads here at CC about not having the right documentation.

Totally agree, I carry mine all the time...we live close to the US border and sometimes decide to cross over for shopping or...whatever.. good not to have to worry while travelling too. :)

If one does their due diligence and ensures that they have the right documentation cruising with a birth certificate and government issued ID on a closed loop cruise is a low risk proposition because something like 98% of all passengers who cruise arrive back in the US on the ship that they left on. If someone has a high risk of possibly leaving the ship early (they have someone at home they would have to get back to immediately if something happened, etc.) then it's probably best for them to have a passport.

I'm am so glad I decided to get our passports . I got all the things together and went to the post office. I had my birth cert. I have used for everything . Guess what it's not the one they need. It is from the hosp. But it has a gold seal on it WRONG you can't use it . I can see I would have been standing on the dock as my ship pulled away come jan. :eek: So next step go 100 miles next week and get the one I need. Oh my god paper work !

I'm glad that you found out now...before it would have caused trouble at the pier. Passport is the way to go. I have NEVER seen a thread on these boards where someone with a valid passport was refused travel. Why risk it?

If one does their due diligence and ensures that they have the right documentation cruising with a birth certificate and government issued ID on a closed loop cruise is a low risk proposition because something like 98% of all passengers who cruise arrive back in the US on the ship that they left on. If someone has a high risk of possibly leaving the ship early (they have someone at home they would have to get back to immediately if something happened, etc.) then it's probably best for them to have a passport.

As a lover of stats, I'd appreciate knowing where you fun out that 98% of all passengers who cruise arrivck in te US on the ship that they left on. Can you provide a link to the source?

As a lover of stats, I'd appreciate knowing where you fun out that 98% of all passengers who cruise arrivck in te US on the ship that they left on. Can you provide a link to the source?

Nope, didn't book mark it. I know that I have arrived 100% of the time on the ship that I left on;). Regardless of what the percentage is each passenger must decide for themselves what documents to use and what their indivual risk level is and their own comfort level with said risk.

Nope, didn't book mark it. I know that I have arrived 100% of the time on the ship that I left on;). Regardless of what the percentage is each passenger must decide for themselves what documents to use and what their indivual risk level is and their own comfort level with said risk.

Ahhhh...isn't that always the way!?! I'm just wondering as 2% means that on a typical sailing (Jewel Class ship) 40 people don't return to the US on the ship!! :eek: You would think that a stat like that would be easy to find. I tried searching with Google, but got nothing back on that stat...which I thought was very strange. I did however, find a link that says 73.6% of stats are made up!

I did however, find a link that says 73.6% of stats are made up!

Indeed! My husband was in finance and he always told me that "you can make numbers say anything you want". He was incredibly ethical and also told me that if you do fudge the numbers (also known as "cooking the books") there will be a judgment day. Same might go for stats. After all you keep hearing not to believe everything on the internet.

:)

Edited by kcwingwalker

Ahhhh...isn't that always the way!?! I'm just wondering as 2% means that on a typical sailing (Jewel Class ship) 40 people don't return to the US on the ship!! :eek: You would think that a stat like that would be easy to find. I tried searching with Google, but got nothing back on that stat...which I thought was very strange. I did however, find a link that says 73.6% of stats are made up!

As I said it doesn't really matter what the actual percentage is, each passenger must decide for themselves what documentation to use based on their own risk factors. For many the choice is a passport, for some it's a passport card, for some an enhanced drivers license and for some birth certificate/government issued ID.

As I said it doesn't really matter what the actual percentage is, each passenger must decide for themselves what documentation to use based on their own risk factors. For many the choice is a passport, for some it's a passport card, for some an enhanced drivers license and for some birth certificate/government issued ID.

You keep repeating :confused: that each person has to make their own choices based on risk...and nobody (that I can see) is disputing that.

I don't know how you can possibly think it doesn't matter! For me, I'm just surprised to find out that 2% of passengers don't return on the ship! That is 80 people on a typical Breakaway sailing. If NCL is leaving 40-80 people behind on every cruise, I think that MATTERS A GREAT DEAL!

I'm just so shocked at the number that YOU REPORTED as fact...I honestly wasn't aware! I'd really love to see the source...however, it would appear that you no longer have the link. :(

BTW....I am looking for some new quotes for my signature. Would you mind if I put your quote about 2% of the passegers not returning in as a new quote? Don't worry, since we don't have the link, I would simply attribute the quote to you so that you get the credit. I mean seriously, it is amazing that that many people don't return on the ship!!

You keep repeating :confused: that each person has to make their own choices based on risk...and nobody (that I can see) is disputing that.

I don't know how you can possibly think it doesn't matter! For me, I'm just surprised to find out that 2% of passengers don't return on the ship! That is 80 people on a typical Breakaway sailing. If NCL is leaving 40-80 people behind on every cruise, I think that MATTERS A GREAT DEAL!

I'm just so shocked at the number that YOU REPORTED as fact...I honestly wasn't aware! I'd really love to see the source...however, it would appear that you no longer have the link. :(

BTW....I am looking for some new quotes for my signature. Would you mind if I put your quote about 2% of the passegers not returning in as a new quote? Don't worry, since we don't have the link, I would simply attribute the quote to you so that you get the credit. I mean seriously, it is amazing that that many people don't return on the ship!!

I am not a reporter nor am I a spokesperson for a cruise line, I am merely passing time on a cruise forum. I wasn't aware that everything we post had to be attributable to an official source :rolleyes:. Perhaps you are right, maybe the percentage of people that don't come back on the ship is higher than 98%, which doesn't hurt my argument that the risk of not returning on the ship you leave on is extremely low.

I am of course talking about the passengers that 1) miss the ship for whatever reason (overstaying at Senor Frogs, not setting watch right because of time change, etc.), 2) have a medical emergency that requires them to miss the ship or 3) have to fly home from a port to deal with something at home- the three main reasons that people recommend that someone have a passport for. And I'll pass this time on your most kind offer of being quoted in your signature block, thanks just the same :).

W....I am looking for some new quotes for my signature. Would you mind if I put your quote about 2% of the passegers not returning in as a new quote? Don't worry, since we don't have the link, I would simply attribute the quote to you so that you get the credit. I mean seriously, it is amazing that that many people don't return on the ship!!

Jeez........let it go! I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the people on C.C. got the gist of his comment. :rolleyes:

BTW, I always carry a copy of our passports with us and leave the originals onboard. :)

Jeez........let it go! I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the people on C.C. got the gist of his comment. :rolleyes:

BTW, I always carry a copy of our passports with us and leave the originals onboard. :)

Sorry that you are so bothered. :rolleyes: However, if I'm quoted, I believe that I then have a right to respond. If you want it "let go" then perhaps you should talk to the poster who is so easily willing to make up "facts" but totally unwilling to admit to it....

Sorry that you are so bothered. :rolleyes: However, if I'm quoted, I believe that I then have a right to respond. If you want it "let go" then perhaps you should talk to the poster who is so easily willing to make up "facts" but totally unwilling to admit to it....

Good golly, is that what I did? I made up a fact? Mom would be so proud;). 98% is the number that I remember, I did not make it up (I might be mis-remembering, which of course is a different matter:o). But as I also remember in my post I qualified the number with the phrase "something like", which should have been a clue that the number that I was using was a ballpark figure and not to be taken literally.

Ah well, next time I'll just say "it is my belief based on reading multiple sources that an extremely high percentage of passengers will arrive back in the US on the ship that they depart on and will not have left the cruise for any reason thereby indicating that cruising with a birth certificate and government issued ID is a low risk proposition, but of course this risk will vary by individual":D.

So, back to birth certificates. I had a "birth certificate" that my mother go from the courthouse 20 years ago. It green, had a seal and said it came from the court house. At some point, I needed another one, so I actually have two of the. I used it to board a NCL, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean cruise 13 years ago. I also used to for two more recent carnival cruises 4 and 5 years ago.

3 years ago, we were boarding a Carnival cruise out of New Orleans. At the counter, we discovered that they had changed some paper work requirements. What I had used as a birth certificated was actually a record of live birth. I had used this to board for the two previous cruises with no issues.

Luckily, the ship was leaving on a Monday, so I was able to call my state birth certificate office, fax them a copy of my drivers license, birth info, credit card so they could charge a fee for sending it rushed. They were able to fax a copy of my real birth certificate that carnival accepted and they sent a real copy to my house, which I now use.

Other than that, I've had no issues using my birth certificate and drivers license.

You can call the town hall, in the city where you were born and ask for an original BC. Send them a check with a self addressed envelope, and they'll mail it to you. To save some time, have them mail it priority or express.