CP sailing out of Houston, not Galveston. When did that happen?

Trevoli

Back in April, when I made the reservation for my November cruise, the ship was scheduled sail out of Galveston.

I read here several weeks ago, that the ship is sailing out of Houston, and I thought maybe I was crazy.

Then, I read on my booking paperwork, that "Princess Cruises has just announced Caribbean Princess will now sail roundtrip from Houston, TX and not Galvest, TX as originally scheduled." This notice is not dated.

So, I'm not crazy after all, but I'm curious: when was this change made?

Thanks much.

When I booked my cruise on it back in Feb. it was scheduled out of Houston. But I am not sure if that was because of the cruise line or the local news.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by ITK79

By the way, the Caribbean Princess is known as CB. Sea Princess is the CP.
Right. My first reaction to the Subject is that the Sea Princess doesn't sail from Texas. Not sure if it even sails in the Caribbean. FYI, "CP" is the 2-letter abbreviation Princess uses for the Sea Princess.

Right. My first reaction to the Subject is that the Sea Princess doesn't sail from Texas. Not sure if it even sails in the Caribbean. FYI, "CP" is the 2-letter abbreviation Princess uses for the Sea Princess.

Back in 2006 the Sea Princess did sail out of Ft Lauderdale on 14 day Southern Caribbean. It was a strange cruise as it picked up Americans in Ft Lauderdale and British passengers in Barbados.

Back in 2006 the Sea Princess did sail out of Ft Lauderdale on 14 day Southern Caribbean. It was a strange cruise as it picked up Americans in Ft Lauderdale and British passengers in Barbados.

Hi, yes it did just that, actually we were on that cruise itinerary, really liked it. Fun cruise.

Cori

Back in April, when I made the reservation for my November cruise, the ship was scheduled sail out of Galveston.

I read here several weeks ago, that the ship is sailing out of Houston, and I thought maybe I was crazy.

Then, I read on my booking paperwork, that "Princess Cruises has just announced Caribbean Princess will now sail roundtrip from Houston, TX and not Galvest, TX as originally scheduled." This notice is not dated.

So, I'm not crazy after all, but I'm curious: when was this change made?

Thanks much.

Caribbean Princess does sail out of Houston,the first departure was Nov. 5th and today(I leave) is the second departure. The first disembarkation from NYC to Houston was on 11-5.

As far as when they changed the port of embarkation or itinerary??? But since I booked this year has always been Houston departure on my paperwork. It did say on my paperwork not leaving out of Galveston as originally scheduled.

Edited by arizonaperson

Short story, Houston built the Bayport Cruise Terminal in their harbor area for cruise ships back several years ago. They had expected of course to get cruise lines to either move from Galveston or to get new ones to come. Neither happened for several years as the now finished terminal set empty. Houston was finally able to lure Princess to their new unused multi-million dollar terminal starting this fall. Exactly what it took for this to happen I have not heard the official word but what I have heard is that Princess is using the facility for free. Princess signed a multi-year contract so they probably are not going away too soon.

We sailed out of Bayport on the first departure last Tuesday for a four day cruise and now are back home. There were problems since we were the first ones to actually use it (Carnival had used it for a few weeks several years ago when a hurricane hit Galveston damaging the cruise terminal) for a season. The last patter told us that the channel is 37 miles long and takes 2.5 hours for the ship to transit it.

Short story, Houston built the Bayport Cruise Terminal in their harbor area for cruise ships back several years ago. They had expected of course to get cruise lines to either move from Galveston or to get new ones to come. Neither happened for several years as the now finished terminal set empty. Houston was finally able to lure Princess to their new unused multi-million dollar terminal starting this fall. Exactly what it took for this to happen I have not heard the official word but what I have heard is that Princess is using the facility for free. Princess signed a multi-year contract so they probably are not going away too soon.

We sailed out of Bayport on the first departure last Tuesday for a four day cruise and now are back home. There were problems since we were the first ones to actually use it (Carnival had used it for a few weeks several years ago when a hurricane hit Galveston damaging the cruise terminal) for a season. The last patter told us that the channel is 37 miles long and takes 2.5 hours for the ship to transit it.

It is a bad deal for Houston on the use of Bayport. Princess is getting the terminal for free for 2 years, not sure about the 2 year extension that was just agreed too. I am not sure if Princess got the same deal NCL did, but NCL is also getting to keep the parking fees in their agreement.

I was on the Conquest that was the second ship to use Bayport after Ike had hit the Houston area. It was real nice terminal from what I can remember. I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise out of the facility. Only thing is I thought the transit from terminal to gulf had only taken 45 min to an hour back in 2008.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

What problems did you have? We are headed there in a few weeks. Trouble with the terminal, parking, embarkation, disembarkation, or the channel?

The repositioning cruise from New York ended on Nov 5 (we were on it) which was the first scheduled use of the Houston terminal. The Caribbean Princess will be sailing Western Caribbean cruises this season, and Emerald Princess in the following year.

The Western Caribbean route from Houston includes Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize. Some cruises will take the ports in reverse order.

Problems? Another "Live from" post here on CC stated there was an issue with the boarding ramp which delayed boarding today 11/10, but not disembarkation. There were no issues on Nov 5, and disembarkation went smoothly, exiting from the Promenade deck 7.

It looks like parking is directly in front of the terminal in an open parking lot. I didn't see any toll gates for the lot.

Bob

Edited by Times Prince

Last year we missed our pre-paid shuttle as we were a very long time going through customs (not from the US), and our cell phones don't work in the States, so our unplanned taxi ride to the Houston airport was $160.00.

We said never again, but we would definitely consider the opportunity to sail out of Houston and bypass Galveston! Saves a lot of hassle, I'm guessing.

It is a bad deal for Houston on the use of Bayport. Princess is getting the terminal for free for 2 years, not sure about the 2 year extension that was just agreed too. I am not sure if Princess got the same deal NCL did, but NCL is also getting to keep the parking fees in their agreement.

I was on the Conquest that was the second ship to use Bayport after Ike had hit the Houston area. It was real nice terminal from what I can remember. I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise out of the facility. Only thing is I thought the transit from terminal to gulf had only taken 45 min to an hour back in 2008.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

According to the official log that we were given the last day, the ship left the pier at 17:07 hours and the pilot left the ship at 19:56 hours just before entering the gulf.

I remember Ike and reading about the use of the then new Bayport. It is indeed a very nice terminal and world's improvement over what Galveston offers. It is a bit off the major highways but one does not have to deal with a single bridge that could get backed up. We were able to get to the beltway fairly quickly with no traffic delays. It helps to have several paths to take from the terminal.

Sounds like what I had heard that Princess gets to use the terminal free for two years in return from abandoning Galveston is correct. I had heard that NCL was going to use it as well. Houston has been working very hard on this I do know. Like all business deals, sometimes you have to sweeten the pot in order to get the business at the beginning. If pax decide that it is better for them to use Bayport instead of Galveston, then Princess and later NCL may decide that it is worth the extra time to get to the Gulf and Houston will be able to start recouping money. In the mean time, the hotels, restaurants, etc in the area will get increased business and Houston more taxes from the pax arriving early that would have gone to Galveston.

Edited by satxdiver

Last year we missed our pre-paid shuttle as we were a very long time going through customs (not from the US), and our cell phones don't work in the States, so our unplanned taxi ride to the Houston airport was $160.00.

We said never again, but we would definitely consider the opportunity to sail out of Houston and bypass Galveston! Saves a lot of hassle, I'm guessing.

IMO yes indeed. We stay in the Clear Lake area of Houston when we sailed out of Galveston because the hotel rates are cheaper, more choices for reasonably priced restaurants and more entertainment opportunities including the NASA exhibit and Kemah. Bayport is less than 10 miles away.

The repositioning cruise from New York ended on Nov 5 (we were on it) which was the first scheduled use of the Houston terminal. The Caribbean Princess will be sailing Western Caribbean cruises this season, and Emerald Princess in the following year.

The Western Caribbean route from Houston includes Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize. Some cruises will take the ports in reverse order.

Problems? Another "Live from" post here on CC stated there was an issue with the boarding ramp which delayed boarding today 11/10, but not disembarkation. There were no issues on Nov 5, and disembarkation went smoothly, exiting from the Promenade deck 7.

It looks like parking is directly in front of the terminal in an open parking lot. I didn't see any toll gates for the lot.

Bob

Parking is directly in front of the terminal and there are two booths controlling the entrance to the parking lot. The only thing separating the parking lot from the terminal entrance are the drop off/loading lanes. Except for the sidewalk in front of the terminal, the entire area is at one level with no curbs etc.

What problems did you have? We are headed there in a few weeks. Trouble with the terminal, parking, embarkation, disembarkation, or the channel?

Parking due to it being the first time it has been used. I understand that they have worked out the problems. We waited 30 minutes in a line to enter the parking lot at 11:30 AM.

On embarkation there was a small hold up going through the scanners. If anything they need more scanners and security people for incoming pax before going to the embarkation desks. The line to in process went quickly as the Princess personnel are the same ones that they used in Galveston.

We do unassisted walk off. We left the ship at about 7:45 AM and walked through the terminal to immigration where an officer was waiting to process us back into the US. There were no lines so we were off and at our car about 15 minutes after leaving the ship and entering the elevated walk way.

The ship had no problem that I am aware of in leaving or returning in the channel. We left the terminal late because they were slow in loading the ship but it was their first time.