All right, here is my problem with cruises!

dcguy9

There is no such thing as a five Michelin star restaurant - three is the highest. A meal at a three star runs about $300 to $500 per/person. Celebrity does a great job with their budget (about $15 per/person per/day for included food) and constraints (lack of fresh ingredients, cooking so many meals at once) but even the specialty restaurants are not even remotely close in quality to a Michelin one star.

I lived in Germany for four years and used my red Michelin guide to eat in fine restaurants in Germany and France. This was in the late 80s and early 90s. I see from the internet that you are right about the Michelin rating.

Perhaps the five star rating was from another source. Yes, they are expensive. I remember paying over 250DM in the late 80s for a meal in Munich.

My point was that I have eaten at places other than Olive Garden and Red Lobster.

I think Celebrity does a great job considering having to serve over 2000 people every evening on a cruise ship.

Thank you to everyone for their responses. My family and I really enjoy going on cruises and we only began doing them in 2008. Even since then, the food in the MDR has gone downhill and the service in the MDR across the board has gone down a bit. That has been our experiences.

Our last cruise was on HAL and we just felt as though it was lame. 2 hours for a pretty mediocre dinner. Waiters were not coming around at all asking to refill waiter, "would you like more of this or that…"

We ended up going to the specialty restaurants 3 times and then the buffet once. That was the first time we had been to the buffet and it was better than we thought.

If we are going to dress up for dinner and spend two hours there, the food needs to be really good and so does the service. Our experience in the MDR lately has not been the case. It's too bad that cruislines are cutting back on servers and food costs; it's a shame. It might come back to haunt them.

By the way, our next cruise is on Celebrity. I just haven't changed the banner yet!

Edited by dcguy9

I think Celebrity does a great job considering having to serve over 2000 people every evening on a cruise ship.

I have heard that sentiment many times. I think it is a cop out. Either the service and food lives up to the beauty of the dining room or it does not. Specialty restaurants should not be the only venues on a cruiseship where you can find good quality food and service. Hire more people. Provide better cuisine.

Edited by dcguy9

If we are going to dress up for dinner and spend two hours there, the food needs to be really good and so does the service. Our experience in the MDR lately has not been the case. It's too bad that cruislines are cutting back on servers and food costs; it's a shame. It might come back to haunt them.

By the way, our next cruise is on Celebrity. I just haven't changed the banner yet!

When were you last on X? When is the next?

And again I ask, why would you put yourself thru this anguish if it is no longer a happy and enjoyable vacation time?:confused:

Edited by wallie5446

When were you last on X? When is the next?

And again I ask, why would you put yourself thru this anguish if it is no longer a happy and enjoyable vacation time?:confused:

We are sailing on X again next summer and we were on X in 2008 and 2009. First, please allow me to ask you a question. Why would you ask why I am putting myself through this anguish? In my very first post, I said we enjoy cruising. It is a very happy and enjoyable time for all of us.

I am only commenting on the MDR dining which I think is not what it purports itself to be. If you read the brochures, online descriptions etc…thay say that the main dining room has incredible service, wonderful food, and a beautiful environment. Well, 1 out of 3 ain't bad!

Edited by dcguy9

We are sailing on X again next summer and we were on X in 2008 and 2009. First, please allow me to ask you a question. Why would you ask why I am putting myself through this anguish? In my very first post, I said we enjoy cruising. It is a very happy and enjoyable time for all of us.

I am only commenting on the MDR dining which I think is not what it purports itself to be. If you read the brochures, online descriptions etc…thay say that the main dining room has incredible service, wonderful food, and a beautiful environment. Well, 1 out of 3 ain't bad!

OK, so it has been awhile since a sailing on X, so it is the other lines you sailed with that you described in your 1st post as "This just seems fake to me. The cruise lines are still acting as though dining in their beautiful dining rooms is still elegant, yet they are serving fairly cheap food. So, then they have pay restaurants that used to be a nominal charge up to $45 a head on Celebrity. That is lame."

This does not read like enjoyment, at least for us, so hence my comments. Sorry:o

OK, so it has been awhile since a sailing on X, so it is the other lines you sailed with that you described in your 1st post as "This just seems fake to me. The cruise lines are still acting as though dining in their beautiful dining rooms is still elegant, yet they are serving fairly cheap food. So, then they have pay restaurants that used to be a nominal charge up to $45 a head on Celebrity. That is lame."

This does not read like enjoyment, at least for us, so hence my comments. Sorry:o

I understand how you would interpret it that way. However, we really do enjoy cruising for many reasons including the relaxation, the ports, the overall service, being in the ocean, and being on a beautiful ship. Cruising is fantastic!

It's just that on our last few cruises, eating in the MDR has not been a good experience and we choose to either go specialty or buffet. That is a shame, because we used to love dinners in the MDR.

We'll see how low the cruise lines will place their culinary standards, and every year we will determine whether cruising will be for us. That is also a shame, because after our first few cruises, I thought we were hooked. Time will tell...

Edited by dcguy9

Which restaurants do you eat at where you live? Almost all the chain restaurants (i.e. Outback, Olive Garden, etc.) in the US provide the kind of service you want. Herd em in, herd em out.:( We Americans expect that treatment.

I'll take the wonderful non pushy service one receives in Europe and the X mdr any day. I'm on vacation. Relax! FWIW, I was pleasantly surprised by the food in the mdr on the Silhouette last May. I thought it was considerably better than what they served 2-3 years ago.

Love Ruth Chris Porterhouse for two and the sweet potatoes. Went to Cagneys on NCL, no comparison, really about the same as Outback. Just had open heart surgery a couple of weeks ago, looking forward to a nice steak.

Hi Don,:) hope your ticker is doing well and YOU too:D

I think the only valid solution is to pay 3 times more and cruise on a more luxurious line. The dining on SilverSea, Seaborn, Crystal or Regent will have excellent dining experiences in their main dining room.

They also cost more than eating in a specialty restaurant every night on one of the mainstream lines.

If one loves cruising, there are always alternatives to getting the experience you desire.

I understand how you would interpret it that way. However, we really do enjoy cruising for many reasons including the relaxation, the ports, the overall service, being in the ocean, and being on a beautiful ship. Cruising is fantastic!

It's just that on our last few cruises, eating in the MDR has not been a good experience and we choose to either go specialty or buffet. That is a shame, because we used to love dinners in the MDR.

We'll see how low the cruise lines will place their culinary standards, and every year we will determine whether cruising will be for us. That is also a shame, because after our first few cruises, I thought we were hooked. Time will tell...

I am not going to flame you! as I don't have a flame gun lol!!. Speaking for myself, I can understand most of your reasons for cruising except the last one being the main part to most people "Food". We all have to eat and IMHO the best part of cruising for us is to eat reasonable food in the wonderful places, whether it be MDR, specialty or others. We love it in the evenings to dress up and relax at a dining location wherever we choose on the ship. If I can't have that, then I would not cruise. Sometimes we need to speed dinner up to get to a show or something, we would then talk to our waiter who are generally obliging. Happy Cruising!!!

Which restaurants do you eat at where you live? Almost all the chain restaurants (i.e. Outback, Olive Garden, etc.) in the US provide the kind of service you want. Herd em in, herd em out.:( We Americans expect that treatment.

I'll take the wonderful non pushy service one receives in Europe and the X mdr any day. I'm on vacation. Relax! FWIW, I was pleasantly surprised by the food in the mdr on the Silhouette last May. I thought it was considerably better than what they served 2-3 years ago.

We eat at all different level restaurants. Our bills range from $50 total to $300 total. The $200-$300 bills are usually twice a year or so. We never want the herd em in herd em out. Never. We just don't enjoy sitting in the MDR for 2 hours all dressed up and eating a mediocre meal. That is my whole point. If I am going to take an hour and a half or 2 hours for dinner, it needs to be either a tasting menu or REALLY good. It's like our anticipation is building and then the food comes and we are like…"oh…underwhelmed."

Also, there is a wide range of quality restaurant cuisine. There is a huge difference between Olive Garden and Ruth Chris with many levels in between. I do not expect Ruth Chris in the MDR, but at least well-prepared, well-presented (which it usually is) and somewhat upscale ingredients. Lately, we have not seen that on HAL, Princess, and RCCL. Celebrity was a step up, but that was 4 years ago.

I hope that I am proven wrong here; I really do!

I think the only valid solution is to pay 3 times more and cruise on a more luxurious line. The dining on SilverSea, Seaborn, Crystal or Regent will have excellent dining experiences in their main dining room.

They also cost more than eating in a specialty restaurant every night on one of the mainstream lines.

If one loves cruising, there are always alternatives to getting the experience you desire.

Another suggestion was maybe the OP could consider Aqua Class, a little bit more expensive but I have read rave reviews about "Blu". Just a thought.

After all, you could easily dine at Denny's, eat just as much food, and only spend $20.

Using Denny's isn't such a bad comparison dollar wise. The cruise lines spend around $12 to $15 per person per day for all food they may eat - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc. Let's assume that half that cost would be for dinner. That would mean a meal in the MDR costs less than $8 per person. So much for the people who whine "I already paid for my meal in the MDR, why should I have to pay even more for a specialty restaurant?" Well, if paying more than $8 for a meal is a financial burden, you probably should be saving what little money you have instead of spending it on an expensive cruise.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Another suggestion was maybe the OP could consider Aqua Class, a little bit more expensive but I have read rave reviews about "Blu". Just a thought.
I've never been in Aqua Class, but I wonder how quickly you can eat in Blu, given that I suspect everything is made to order. Of course, the waiters probably bring stuff out in smaller batches, and hopefully the food is better quality.

I have heard that sentiment many times. I think it is a cop out. Either the service and food lives up to the beauty of the dining room or it does not. Specialty restaurants should not be the only venues on a cruiseship where you can find good quality food and service. Hire more people. Provide better cuisine.
Unfortunately, as cruise prices have dropped so has the level of service (and food). The vast majority of people really do not require (and, to be honest, will not appreciate) the level of food/service that you apparently seem to expect. Waiters have more tables (as do room stewards with rooms). That trend is not going to change.

You might consider sailing one of the more upscale lines, like Oceana or Regent. The food and service will be more in line with your expectations. Of course, the price difference between that and Celebrity will be much more than the cost of dining in a specialty restaurant every night of the cruise.

For the record, I feel that $45 is too much for a specialty restaurant. If you really don't want to eat in the MDR, I've read that Celebrity sells a limited number of specialty dining passes known as the Ultimate Dining Package that allow you to eat in one every night at a discounted price (I just read that it's $29/day). You need to buy it as soon as you board the ship. You can find posts about it on the board. Maybe that's your best bet.

Edited by MisterBill99

I've never been in Aqua Class, but I wonder how quickly you can eat in Blu, given that I suspect everything is made to order. Of course, the waiters probably bring stuff out in smaller batches, and hopefully the food is better quality.

A good deal of posters suggest that Blu is good, and the OP stated " If I am going to take an hour and a half or 2 hours for dinner, it needs to be either a tasting menu or REALLY good".

The problem I'm having here is the OP disliked the food on HAL, Princess, and RCCL. That is a huge amount of menu choices that were discarded as mediocre or bad food, also stated " Just because several people in a cruise chat room say that Celebrity's MDR food is pretty good does not mean that I will think that or that it actually is good".

It does not leave much room to move, Blu might be the answer.

So, I have been on about 8 cruises including RCCL, Celebrity, HAL, and Carnival. We have an upcoming cruise on Celebrity.

Here is my problem: In the last year or so, dining in the MDR takes absolutely forever with pretty mediocre food. We wait twenty minutes for appetizers and they are just so-so. Then another thirty for the main entree and it is also just fair. It is like eating at a decent medium priced restaurant in any big city. But, it takes over an hour and a half to 2 hours to complete your meal.

This just seems fake to me. The cruise lines are still acting as though dining in their beautiful dining rooms is still elegant, yet they are serving fairly cheap food. So, then they have pay restaurants that used to be a nominal charge up to $45 a head on Celebrity. That is lame.

I still enjoy cruising but the dining is pretty fake and weak.

Agree with you. We have cruised 45+ times, on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL recently, over the years on 9 different lines.

We are booked on HAL for the Spring, Celebrity for the Fall. The dining experience has changed a lot on all lines. We have even tried AQ class on Celebrity and BLU, not impressed.

I will tell you what we do, we typically try the MDR, request a table for 2. If we like our experience we eat there, if we don't we skip it. To be very honest plan to skip the MDR on our next Celebrity cruise. We will be on the Silhouette in the Mediterranean. We have done a number of Mediterranean cruises, did the same on the Equinox a few years back after 5 nights on an 11 night cruise. We were simply tired of the long wait in the MDR, the room was crowded and noisey. Food was so so. So we decided who needs this, we decided to go to the buffet late afternoon, pick up what we liked from the buffet and take it back to our cabin and enjoy a peaceful lunch on our balcony. Found this far more to our likely than suffering thru the so so diningroom experience.

We usually order breakfast in our cabin from room service as well. Again make for a nice quiet and peaceful breakfast.

We are seniors, we don't eat more than two meals at home any way, so this works out well for us.

We enjoy a late afternoon nap, shower, dress and go out and enjoy the entertainment on board.

We enjoy cruising and being on the water. We don't cruise for the food. We eat better at home.

Skipping the MDR we actually save money, we don't spend extra on over priced wine to go with a so so dinner, we don't tip extra - we leave the auto tip on and let it go at that. With money we save if we want to go to one of the specialty restaurants we do. But even that is not a must.

We are booked on HAL for the Spring, Celebrity for the Fall. The dining experience has changed a lot on all lines. We have even tried AQ class on Celebrity and BLU, not impressed.

What did you not like about Blu? From what I've read, there are people who just don't like the menu/preparations there. Or was it the service/experience? I've never had a chance to try it but the menus have looked good to me, but that's my taste in food.

I am relatively new at cruising. My first cruise was five years ago. My exposure to cruising before that was the Love Boat on TV. :D

Based on my limited knowledge of cruising, I always thought that twenty years ago the MDR was a large dining room for hundreds of people and not a dining room for only 30 or so people like a specialty restaurant, that twenty years ago in the MDR you always sat at a large table with other passengers and NOT at a smaller table for just you and the people you were with, that the meals in the MDR twenty years ago were prepared ahead of time banquet style and NOT cooked to order like in a specialty restaurant today, that twenty years ago the servers in the MDR had a group of tables to serve and NOT have just two or three tables at a time like a specialty restaurant, and that the scheduling in the MDR was set seating times and NOT variable times like in the specialty restaurants.

Please explain to this newbie because I am confused by your statement - how could the MRD of twenty years ago be comparable to the specialty restaurants today with all those differences? I am trying to understand what I actually missed out on. :confused:

Your description is very accurate. My comparison is that the service and quality of food in the Specialty restaurants is the same as we received in the MDR. I'm not talking about table size, seating times, etc, just food and service. Those are my observations.

One example, if I went in and ordered an ice tea for dinner on the first night, it was there waiting for me every night thereafter when I sat down. Little touches that you might see now occasionally if you have a really good waiter but then it was standard and done by everyone.

Edited by dkjretired

Doing great, heading off on Silhouette next month and have Alaska booked in August. Finally, going to Alaska, yea....Best wishes.

Glad to hear:) have fun on your crusies and enjoy your meals:D;):)

i like a relaxed longer pace at dinner, get to enjoy a bottle or two of wine and conversation--i hate rushed! i found the dining room food on the summit to be pretty excellent and i know quality and variety have been going down across all lines but i didn't have one complaint-everything was cooked perfectly and presented well. that said i have been on rccl a few times this year and the food is just awful in the main dining, room-worse than it has ever been. i was actually skipping dinner -cold, totally overcooked simple items with no elegance to the menu at all. i would have no problem skipping dinner on rccl lately because the buffet had been much better.