Vouchers are here to stay

cruising teacher

Just got off the Summit. There were fewer than 200 Elites on board. We used vouchers. We were told that the use of vouchers is going fleet wide regardless of the number of Elites. Hoping there are new levels in the Loyalty Program that have a designated lounge. I know that I will miss having one.

Vouchers would be my preference. Have had the lounge option on my last 2 Celebrity cruises and last 4 RCCL cruises...if Celebrity Elite Lounge was handled like RCCL lounge, I would like it much better. I think the flexibility of the vouchers will be a suitable perk for us.

I have not yet been on a voucher cruise, but I suspect DH and I might like the vouchers. There are terrific bars and good bartenders and interesting people all over the ship, so we could go to different venues or find a favorite. I'd like to be able to carry a drink to dinner or a show. Between the two of us, six vouchers per night would be sufficient, though can understand if three per Elite per night is not enough for everybody.

While the voucher plan will free up space, staff and spread out the Elites, it will eliminate snacks and the nice ambiance for the evening cocktail hour. No officers will be dropping in to say hello!

Not very special--just another perk. Since we have been getting the drinks package lately as a perk anyhow, not much value to it. I drink cola so my enjoyment was the gathering itself not the free drinks.

Reciprocity of levels with Royal has really swamped the ranks of Celeb Elite on many trips. Many Royal Diamonds are switching over.... tired of the bigger ships on Royal and are looking for something new--S class fits the bill.

While the voucher plan will free up space, staff and spread out the Elites, it will eliminate snacks and the nice ambiance for the evening cocktail hour. No officers will be dropping in to say hello!

Not very special--just another perk. Since we have been getting the drinks package lately as a perk anyhow, not much value to it. I drink cola so my enjoyment was the gathering itself not the free drinks.

Reciprocity of levels with Royal has really swamped the ranks of Celeb Elite on many trips. Many Royal Diamonds are switching over.... tired of the bigger ships on Royal and are looking for something new--S class fits the bill.

I hope it's not true, really enjoyed the lounge.

hcat, or whomever, does Royal still have a HH Lounge or have they gone drink coupons?

Loved the voucher system. It was nice to sit at a bar anywhere in the ship waiting to go into dinner and order a drink. Only problem was knowing what to order within the price range. And if we didn't want a drink we just ordered a bottle of water.

Precisely!

I'm thinking that the vouchers will stay as a perk for the lower elite levels. Then as new higher levels are added the special venues will be added back in for them. Thereby culling the herd and getting the numbers back down to a reasonable level.

Maybe it should be suggested to Celebrity that Royal Diamonds get the vouchers amd the Elite HH can be for Elites only?

I hope it's not true, really enjoyed the lounge.

hcat, or whomever, does Royal still have a HH Lounge or have they gone drink coupons?

RCI has the Concierge lounge for Diamond +, Pinnacle and Suite guests and they are adding Diamond lounges to all ships with the exception of the Majesty for Diamond guests. I read a thread last week that RCI was testing a voucher program on one of the current TA's due to the high number of Pinnacle and D+ on board.

Maybe it should be suggested to Celebrity that Royal Diamonds get the vouchers amd the Elite HH can be for Elites only?

Won't happen. Celebrity is trying to grow their business by enticing RCI cruisers to move over. Worked for us as D+ members. Of course we have no desire at all to attend any of the Elite functions. Not our cup of tea.

vouchers are good at most, but not all bars on the ships. We have been on two voucher cruises (including last week) and no one ever asked to see our sea pass card.

The infinity tried something new that really worked. They spread out some nibblies (cheese, cold cuts, canapes, bread and olive spread) in the constellation (sky) lounge during the happy hour....but anyone was welcome. I though it would be a mob scene....free food!...but it worked out just fine. Not sure if this will be an infinity only idea or if it will spread to the other ships.

The other change was that on the infinity, the coupons were good for anything that would fall under the classic drink package....not limited to the old elite captains club menu.

Since we eat in Blu, generally around 7, the folks leaving to go to the 6pm early seating always offered unused coupons. We didn't need them....how much can one drink and still find the dining room;)

We also loved the voucher system. We were able to sit in Cellar Masters Lounge, where we met some very nice people. It doesn't matter to us of they were elite or not, if one wants to meet and mingle, a special elite party is not necessary. We were then able to take our drinks to dinner, which we were not able to do in the past. We hope it is here to stay

When using the voucher that is good for basically a drink that falls under the classic package can you order a more expensive dirink and pay the difference?

Can you order all 3 drinks at the same time?

It appears as if the voucher system may be a way to cut costs and increase business. You don't have to have a dedicated lounge, the set up involved, the unlimited drinks, plus utilizing the lounges that are open thus attracting more business by having other passengers that aren't Elite joining in and buying drinks.

🎄🎅

Won't happen. Celebrity is trying to grow their business by enticing RCI cruisers to move over. Worked for us as D+ members. Of course we have no desire at all to attend any of the Elite functions. Not our cup of tea.

How can you make a definite statement like that? 1) as a D+ you came over and it wasn't because of the Elite Function (as you stated above) and 2) as a D+, they are ending up with vouchers anyway like other Elites. And if I went to RC to cruise I would be happy if they gave me vouchers as opposed to a reception. Any additional benefit is a bonus.

Edited by Team Stag

We became elite status a few cruises ago. The drink vouchers would serve us just fine because we seldom got to the elite lounge. We are just happy with all of the other perks that the loyalty cruise status gives us. We do not feel the need to meet officers or attend elite only events. The laundry coupons, drink coupons, internet coupons etc are great!:D

How can you make a definite statement like that? 1) as a D+ you came over and it wasn't because of the Elite Function (as you stated above) and 2) as a D+, they are ending up with vouchers anyway like other Elites. And if I went to RC to cruise I would be happy if they gave me vouchers as opposed to a reception. Any additional benefit is a bonus.

I am probably one of the few that could care less about this perk but if you read the boards many love it. Second trying to keep the true Elites separated from those low life's like myself who moved over from RCI would be near impossible. Why not just enjoy what you're being given and not worry about others? That's the cruise lines responsibility.

We also loved the voucher system. We were able to sit in Cellar Masters Lounge, where we met some very nice people. It doesn't matter to us of they were elite or not, if one wants to meet and mingle, a special elite party is not necessary. We were then able to take our drinks to dinner, which we were not able to do in the past. We hope it is here to stay

Correct and people can deny the fact all they want but for some it comes down to being limited to a certain amount of drinks per night and has nothing to do with "meeting" others.

Correct and people can deny the fact all they want but for some it comes down to being limited to a certain amount of drinks per night and has nothing to do with "meeting" others.

Actually, I am not a big drinker so that's not my concern. I also love the snacks they serve. I have never run into the same people night after night in any bar except at the elite event.

In fact, my next cruise I selected the onboard credit rather than drinks package since I would never use it.

Edited by celebrity