should we book a tour?

PeanutBudder

We are new cruisers and are so torn on whether to book a tour or not. We are sailing with our two young children (6 & 8) and are going to St.Maarten, St. Thomas, and Nassau.

The one tour we are considering is Bernards Tour in St.Maarten. I really want my kids to see the planes, but I am thinking it might be cheaper to grab a cab to that beach vs paying $160 in tour fees for practically the whole day.

We booked with NCL because it is freestyle and so laid back...we don't like rigid schedules while on vacation and kind of thought it would be fun to explore BUT yet we have no idea where to explore and have limited time on each islands. My husband keeps saying "why do we need a to book a tour?"

So torn....any suggestions? Forego tours for our first cruise and feel things out or go with at least one tour so that we see more things?

Thanks for your input!

We are new cruisers and are so torn on whether to book a tour or not. We are sailing with our two young children (6 & 8) and are going to St.Maarten, St. Thomas, and Nassau.

The one tour we are considering is Bernards Tour in St.Maarten. I really want my kids to see the planes, but I am thinking it might be cheaper to grab a cab to that beach vs paying $160 in tour fees for practically the whole day.

We booked with NCL because it is freestyle and so laid back...we don't like rigid schedules while on vacation and kind of thought it would be fun to explore BUT yet we have no idea where to explore and have limited time on each islands. My husband keeps saying "why do we need a to book a tour?"

So torn....any suggestions? Forego tours for our first cruise and feel things out or go with at least one tour so that we see more things?

Thanks for your input!

I think with young children you may be better off using that $160 to grab a cab and food on their schedule, not the tour operator's...

In Nassau there is a free beach (Junkanoo) near the terminal you could walk to and then walk around the Straw Market.

In St. Thomas we did the tour that went to St. John's Bay to snorkel. Your children might enjoy that as the bay is small and there are underwater markers along a "path" that name the fish and have a picture. It is kind of fun to swim around and match the living fish to their plaques...

When cruising with the kids we always found it easier to do our own tours, most ports you can get a cab to wherever you want to go, just a bit of research beforehand.

With an 8 and 6 year old getting them ready in time, and being restricted by the tour timetable can be a lot of unneeded hassle.

Each to their own but we always felt more comfortable doing stuff as and when we wanted.

we jumped a taxi tour for $25 per person last week.

i just wanted to see the island. a few stops here and there and the weather was unpredictable since it had been raining off and on ...

Edited by RYMOMA

St Maartin--water taxi there is beach, bars and shops nice, fun place

St Thomas--Shopping near pier or Godfrey tours great tours great prices

Nassau---Straw market and walk to Greycliff beautiful place with chocolate making and tours(I think tours) we were more interested in the nearby Rum Factory

Enjoy

Safe sailing

Your two St. Maartin choices are very different. The tour, does show you a lot more of the island compared to just a cab back and forth to Moho/Princess Juliana airport.

I too suggest you spend some time and read through a couple pages of each Port Of Call board. That would give many more options, that you may not have considered from first hand reports. Very valuable information. :) enjoy your trip.

I think with young children you may be better off using that $160 to grab a cab and food on their schedule, not the tour operator's...

In Nassau there is a free beach (Junkanoo) near the terminal you could walk to and then walk around the Straw Market.

In St. Thomas we did the tour that went to St. John's Bay to snorkel. Your children might enjoy that as the bay is small and there are underwater markers along a "path" that name the fish and have a picture. It is kind of fun to swim around and match the living fish to their plaques...

Thank you so much for the suggestions...I think you are right...$160 could be spent in many other ways. :)

My oldest wants to snorkel but none of us have done it. I have been reading on here and keep getting some mixed reviews on where to go. Your idea at St.Johns Bay especially with the underwater markers sounds perfect! Did you just go there and find a tour on the beach and pay or did you arrange ahead of time? Did you cab it there? Any info would be so helpful...thank you so very much!!!

What ship and when are you traveling? I highly recommend Bernard's. We are thinking of doing it with our kids (8&4). He will make a tour just for you guys if you want. Nassau with kids I would def take a tour. It's not one of the best places for kids. You could go to the Atlantis too. They have a great aquarium. Nassau we talked about dolphins but it's so expensive.

Beth

Edited by beth51279
Forgot name

Thank you so much for the suggestions...I think you are right...$160 could be spent in many other ways. :)

My oldest wants to snorkel but none of us have done it. I have been reading on here and keep getting some mixed reviews on where to go. Your idea at St.Johns Bay especially with the underwater markers sounds perfect! Did you just go there and find a tour on the beach and pay or did you arrange ahead of time? Did you cab it there? Any info would be so helpful...thank you so very much!!!

We did the tour through NCL, since you basically have to take a ferry and bus to St. john's Bay, if I remember correctly. They had a class for newbies to show you how to use the equipment. Regardless of where you snorkle remember to take an underwater camera, either digital or disposable!

Have you gone over to the ROLL CALL to find your cruise? Usually folks post what tours they wish to take plus ask for others to join them if they are hiring a van to go some place. Also if there is a Meet & Greet do attend that for more

info.

If you have a long port day in St. Thomas, like 12 hours, going back and forth to St John is doable. BUT if you are a short time there, getting to St. John on your own, involves a LOT of time. As mentioned, taking the ship excursion- which is costly is a sure option. In the past, some lines also had a shopping trip at St. John that was much cheaper, and you can then just use your time at the beach. Be sure to get back to the pick up spot early. :)

When you're in Nassau, if you just want a quiet day at the beach, you may want to try a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton. It's walking distance from the dock. A pass costs $60 for adults with a $40 food voucher, $30 for kids with a $15 food voucher. Kids under 5 are free. The hotel has a lovely private beach.

Here's the link if you're interested...

http://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauHiltonResortPass.htm

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but you can get lots of information on the ports of call boards. I will make some comments about each port though.

St. Martin - We recently did Bernard's tour and recommend it if you are interested. It does include plenty of beverages, both alcoholic and nonalchoholic. It does stop at Orient Beach (clothed part) and Maho. You can swim at Maho, but it really isn't a good swimming beach because of the runway proximity and the bars at each end. It's more of a party place. You could go to Great Beach downtown in the morning and taxi to Maho for the landings.

St. Thomas - For beach only, I avoid the crowds and go to Emerald Beach. Ironically, some don't like it because it is near the airport. But it is a very nice beach and not crowded. Cab fare from Havensight to Emerald is $7 pp. Godfrey's tour is another option. For $25 pp, you get a tour a beach time.

Nassau - I usually taxi to Atlantis or walk around town. There are beach options though and I intend to explore them on our next visit.

Nassau is one of our least favorite ports but as said above you have the Hilton option or just past that for free is Junkanoo beach. We did that once and it was nice enough. There are a few huts with beverages and snacks and you can see the ships off in the distance. Also there is the pirate museum for kids that age is an option. That is only a couple blocks from the ship terminal.

In St Maarten, I would advise Bernards for various reasons. First, they are great at tailoring your time to what you would like to see and do. They do usually have 10 to a van and carry water sodas and beer and recommend sites to see. Maho beach where you can see the planes land and leave is a tourist must. Check it out on You Tube first. They are aware of traffic problems and can get you back to the ship safely and ON TIME. Be aware if you drive, the afternoons get busy and traffic can be at a standstill for 30 minutes. St Thomas, Coral Beach is a great idea. Fish swim amongst you and its a nice area. If you want, there is an area where you can swim with sea lions etc. and paid activities include lockers and showers.

I don't think you have to book tours, but definitely go to the forums for each port you are stopping at. So many people are disappointed that they didn't find anything to do in port, when if they had just done some research, they would've had a better time.

Thanks for your input!

I'd recommend a car rental in St. Maarten - the you are on your family's schedule & it will be half the cost. There is really just one main road around the island, so you can drive counter clockwise from the cruise terminal and take in much of the island - both Dutch and French side. Plan some time to hit a beach, and spend some time watching the planes (kids will LOVE it).

In Nassau - just get a cab and go to Cabbage beach (next to Atlantis).. Cab will set you back $4 bucks each each way (or close to it..)

In St. Thomas, getting over to St. John is the real treat, but can be a bit of an adventure, so if you're wanting to do a tour, maybe do one there.

It can be daunting trying to sort this all out and still relax and have fun, but it is soooo worth it!! Good luck to you!