Specialty restaurants Voyager of the Seas

Hello! :)

I've been on 3 cruises before, but I've never tried any of the specialty restaurants! It's my brother's birthday and whilst on the december cruise I'd like to surprise him and book at the Portofino for the family.

Any suggestions on what to order? and how does the menu work? I've heard that it's 4 courses for $20 + tipping. Have you eaten there before.. what did you think? can you order 2 entrees instead of dessert?

It would be great if you let me know what's nice to order on the menu, and if it's a good choice :)

Also... what do you think about johnny rockets? apparently it's worse than the windjammer apart from the shakes.

thank you!! :)

At the moment the only specialty restaurants on Voyager are Portofino and Johnny Rockets. Portofino is indeed $20 cover charge, this includes one appetizer, one main course, one dessert and petit fours served with the coffee.

We found that they were happy to give you a Caesar salad plus an additional appetizer but that seemed to be the extent of the flexibility. I have heard you can order an additional main course for $10 more but no one in our party did this (it is quite a lot of food already). My suggestion for what to order is the seafood skewer - it is amazing! And the Tiramisu for desert includes a shot glass of baileys/Kahlia mixed together.

I quite like JRs but I will say the land version is better than the ship version. It is a $4.95 cover charge which is all you can eat fries, onion rings, burgers (or hot sandwich, salad, bowl of chilli- anything on the menu really) and desert. Milkshakes are an additional cost but if you have cruised before and signed for for crown & anchor then you will have a 2-for-1 coupon.

After the 2014 refit I believe Voyager will have a Chops Grille and a Giovanni's Table.

Enjoy your cruise on Voyager, we have just disembarked and we loved her!

Edited by BekkaW

My experience in Portofino, on all ships, is that they will give you as many as you want of any course but the main course.

But it's a LOT of food!

They are also happy to give you dessert on a plate with a cover to take back to your room, if you are too full.

:)

My experience in Portofino, on all ships, is that they will give you as many as you want of any course but the main course.

Respectfully, this was not the case last week. We asked directly and the only additional "allowed" was salad plus another appetizer. It might depend on the waitstaff on the night? But this is what our party was told.

Respectfully, this was not the case last week. We asked directly and the only additional "allowed" was salad plus another appetizer. It might depend on the waitstaff on the night? But this is what our party was told.

It sounds like they are dissing the Australians! ;)

We've never had a problem getting multiple appetizers and once even got the mushroom pasta dish split as an extra appetizer at no extra cost (OK, that was way too much food - had to really struggle with dessert but I'm a trooper). I love the filet and DH enjoys the seafood skewer. Not fond of the soups and they've eliminated a couple of my favorite apps but still well worth the cost.

Seafood skewer is good and nicely presented and the filet is very good. However, my favorite is the lamb chops. Yum!! I also have never been denied getting as many appetizers , soups and salads as I want. Try the sampler for dessert.