Chilkoot :(

travln1234

I really wanted to take my DD on the train up, see the musher pups, and take the bus back. The issue: the pups are only included with the option that includes lunch. My problem: my DD has severe allergies and can't have gluten or potatoes. She won't eat the coleslaw, and likely not the chicken if it has bbq sauce on it (and from pics - it does). So, I emailed them and asked if they had an option that included pups without lunch. I was told lunch was included in the price of the ticket. Basically - I'm out of luck. Was told they could custom the menu, but do you know how hard it is to take a 7 year old and tease her with all of the breads and donuts and then say, sorry, you can't have it? So, I'd basically have to spend $30 extra for her for something she can't and won't eat.

I'm now in search of a musher's camp elsewhere. Any suggestions? I see there's one with Klondike, but I'm hoping for one in a different port. We'll still do the train in Skagway. Not sure if we'll use Chilkoot or not at this point.

Thanks!

I did a similar tour with Princess. After the train, the bus picked us up and took us to the same park that Chilkoot also stops at. Our only option for lunch was "Chicken is served, if there are any vegetarians, let us know so we can call ahead". Our admission to the park included the museum, the ability to see the puppies, and lunch. If you wanted, you could just not go eat lunch. There was a small cafe onsite that sold hot dogs and things (all the bus drivers were waiting in there).

You can easily rent a car and drive yourself.

You can also contact Caribou Crossing directly and inquire if they can have an alternative meal for you. Sorry but your "can't have" "tease" comment?? With this allergy it is a fact of life that a 7 year old is going to have to accept for their health and know they can not have it. If they go to school, don't they already follow what they are supposed to. There would be far more "teases" there.

You can easily rent a car and drive yourself.

You can also contact Caribou Crossing directly and inquire if they can have an alternative meal for you. Sorry but your "can't have" "tease" comment?? With this allergy it is a fact of life that a 7 year old is going to have to accept for their health and know they can not have it. If they go to school, don't they already follow what they are supposed to. There would be far more "teases" there.

Wow. That was HIGHLY insensitive. No, it most emphatically NOT the same. Kids at school have their own lunch and they are not allowed to share. A buffet type situation is much different, especially with donuts (which kids aren't allowed to bring to school). Yes, it is a tease and she knows she can't have it. But it doesn't negate the fact that she still wants it and to have so much of it in front of her, where she can't have it, to the point of tears each and every time. I'm sure as an older child/young adult, she will come to terms with it, but at this point, she still doesn't understand. Clearly you've never had a child who has special needs, hence your insensitivity.

There was a small cafe onsite that sold hot dogs and things (all the bus drivers were waiting in there).

Thanks, but hot dogs don't work either...bun. I'm still looking for musher camps in other ports. We'd like to do the train in Skagway.

Edited by travln1234

Wow. That was HIGHLY insensitive. No, it most emphatically NOT the same. Kids at school have their own lunch and they are not allowed to share. A buffet type situation is much different, especially with donuts (which kids aren't allowed to bring to school). Yes, it is a tease and she knows she can't have it. But it doesn't negate the fact that she still wants it and to have so much of it in front of her, where she can't have it, to the point of tears each and every time. I'm sure as an older child/young adult, she will come to terms with it, but at this point, she still doesn't understand. Clearly you've never had a child who has special needs, hence your insensitivity.

\.

I am sorry you are offended. But your assumption about me and your "never" comment ???? Sorry, wrong. I could be "offended" as well, but definitely not. Ignore my posts, they are only comments from a different point of view.

Although you may still want to consider the suggestion to contact Caribou Crossing directly.

Edited by Budget Queen

From what I recall of our lunch, I wouldn't call it a buffet. They hand you a plate, and you down the line and someone scoops something onto the plate. I don't recall if you could go back for more, but we were pretty full. The donuts were the only thing out there where you "helped yourself".

With that being said, its probably not the best choice for your daughter. I would call and see if they can arrange a special meal for you. Just keep in mind, the tease you don't want your daughter to experience, will be experienced on the cruise ship. You are going to have to get her special meals while everyone else is helping themselves from the buffet. I would not let the "tease" be the reason you don't do this, unless they can't find an alternative meal.

Won't the entire cruise be a problem then? Buffets, menu items she can't have, etc? I would think that this is a constant challenge. Besides, the lunch isn't buffet, they give you a plate and that's what you get. The donuts are all you can eat and you can get your own, but you could just NOT get any.

Thanks, but hot dogs don't work either...bun. I'm still looking for musher camps in other ports. We'd like to do the train in Skagway.

Eat the hot dog without the bun? Surely you have to make compromises like this all the time?

BQ wasn't trying to be rude. I totally understand where she'd coming from. If this is a serious dietary concern for your daughter, "teases" like this are something she will encounter all the time, and she's going to have to learn to adjust. I know it's not easy for a child that age. If you are really concerned about how she will react to not being able to eat any donuts on one tour, perhaps you need to consider how difficult all the "teases" on the cruise ship will be.

Before you accuse me of being insensitive too... I do have one special needs child, and one who has recently developed a mild allergies to PEAS, of all things. Harder to avoid than you might think!

If all you want is to play with puppies and don't care about the cart ride, consider the Klondike Gold Dredge in Skagway. We had a great puppy experience there... better than we did on the Chilkoot train tour.

It has been years since I have been there but I vaguely remember them having an alternate meal option - I remember them asking on the bus. Even if they don't anymore - I have no doubt they will hold back any sauce if they put it on the chicken if arrangements are made ahead of time.

The donuts were off to the side as a dessert item and really were not that great. I don't eat coleslaw either. I would probably just pay for the meal and see if arrangements can be made. I am sure Chillkoot has addressed this with Caribou Crossing and can answer with options.

As far as the sled dogs go there is one that is part of a glacier helicopter tour out of Juneau.

I am also sorry for your 7yr old with such severe food allergies - I am aware that more and more people are having such allergies and that restaurants are having to change menus to accommodate them. That said you are going out in almost the middle of nowhere Yukon. Your child is also going to be teased and tempted aboard the cruise ship as well. But at least there they will have a better chance of serving your child's needs.

Are you doing a B2B?

Seward has 2 sled dog kennels, maybe that is a possibility. Seavey and Turning Head both have good reviews on TA. I have not been to either, haven't been to Alaska yet

Have you checked the family forum wondering if there is info over there on traveling with kids with food allergies. I also recall reading several threads on RCI board about traveling with gluten & food allergies. One in particular was a little girl who had multiple restrictions. Read them before our cruise last March.

Good Luck!

I'm not going to beat a dead horse. If you're not in somoene else's shoes, then you can't fully understand the circumstances. I wasn't bad mouthing Chilkoot, in fact we may still go with them, minus the lunch. As a single mom and teacher, I can't see spending $30 (or however much it comes to) on a lunch my kid can't eat. Regardless of whether or not the donuts aren't that great, she will still want them and while a hotdog without a bun is an option, it's not exactly a healthy one, nor filling. It's best to avoid it for us. The ship is different. I can easily make requests in the MDR and I can prepare a plate in the WJ and take it to the room just before picking her up from the kid's club. Her allergies are easy to avoid, I just stick with meat and produce.

If I'm not mistaken, there is also a musher's camp in Juneau. Check out the excursions from your cruiseline to see if one is offered, and if it is, perhaps it can be booked privately?

Thank you, I will look into it.

Are you doing a B2B?

Seward has 2 sled dog kennels, maybe that is a possibility. Seavey and Turning Head both have good reviews on TA. I have not been to either, haven't been to Alaska yet

Have you checked the family forum wondering if there is info over there on traveling with kids with food allergies. I also recall reading several threads on RCI board about traveling with gluten & food allergies. One in particular was a little girl who had multiple restrictions. Read them before our cruise last March.

Good Luck!

Thank you, I will look into this, too. Definitely a possibility in Seward.

Edited by travln1234

I wasn't bad mouthing Chilkoot, in fact we may still go with them, minus the lunch. As a single mom and teacher, I can't see spending $30 (or however much it comes to) on a lunch my kid can't eat.

I'm not sure where you are getting the $30 figure for lunch. Lunch is included in the tour price. I checked the Caribou Crossing web site and it says that if you come independently and purchase the BBQ lunch, a child's portion is $13.50.

I'm not sure where you are getting the $30 figure for lunch. Lunch is included in the tour price. I checked the Caribou Crossing web site and it says that if you come independently and purchase the BBQ lunch, a child's portion is $13.50.

Comparing the same tour with the lunch/puppies/museum vs. just the bus up and train back with the same company. ETA: it's a $43 difference between the child's fare with the puppies/lunch/museum option vs. no train/puppies/museum. Granted that's not just for the lunch, but I can't justify $43 to pet puppies and not eat a lunch she can't have.

I'm done trying to justify myself. All I was doing was searching for a second option to do the musher's camp and to inform other folks with food issues that this is what I was told.

Edited by travln1234

Comparing the same tour with the lunch/puppies/museum vs. just the bus up and train back with the same company. ETA: it's a $43 difference between the child's fare with the puppies/lunch/museum option vs. no train/puppies/museum. Granted that's not just for the lunch, but I can't justify $43 to pet puppies and not eat a lunch she can't have.

I'm done trying to justify myself. All I was doing was searching for a second option to do the musher's camp and to inform other folks with food issues that this is what I was told.

If you are comparing a summit (3.5 hour) train/bus trip vs. the Yukon (7.5 hr) train/bus trip, then there is a LOT more to the latter trip than just lunch and puppies. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Given your restrictions, I suggest doing the summit train trip and go to the Klondike Gold Dredge for puppies. The longer train/bus trip might be too much for a 7 year old anyway. You might even have time to go back to the ship for lunch between, where you know you can find acceptable food choices.

Dealing with allergies and not being able to eat an item everyone else is eating can be tough for adults and kids. I'm not trying to be insensitive, as a celiac and a parent, I know what you are going through. But the bottom line, is that this something your child and you will have to deal with in life. Instead of hiding from it, I have learned some coping techniques that help us through difficult times. 1. Always plan ahead (I get especially grouchy on an empty stomach as do my kiddos, so if in doubt about food where we are going, like a party or event, we eat a large meal before leaving. 2. Stash snacks everywhere. I always have some in my purse, car, etc. 3. Bring special treats on occasions where other 'special' treats will be aviable. I am partial Pamela's gluten free chunky chocolate chips. 4. Learn to admit, this sucks because I want to eat that and can't...then move past it so it doesn't ruin your good time.

Sounds like the real issue is not the lunch but being charged for a lunch your DD cannot eat. Yes, that sucks. Yes, it will happen again. Conferences, events, sporting outings....many things and events in her life will include food and the price for the food she cannot eat. Yes it sucks, but don't let it ruin your good time.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

OP - I checked the excursion list for the cruiseline I travel on (HAL) and there is indeed a musher's camp excursion in Juneau that doesn't involve a helicopter to get to. Check the RCI excursion listing for Juneau to see if your cruiseline offers a similar excursion in Juneau. This may solve all your problems. It includes time to cuddle the puppies, a demo of mushing, and a wheeled cartride. No mention of food involved, I think it was a 2 1/2 hour excursion. Good luck in your mission!

OP - I checked the excursion list for the cruiseline I travel on (HAL) and there is indeed a musher's camp excursion in Juneau that doesn't involve a helicopter to get to. Check the RCI excursion listing for Juneau to see if your cruiseline offers a similar excursion in Juneau. This may solve all your problems. It includes time to cuddle the puppies, a demo of mushing, and a wheeled cartride. No mention of food involved, I think it was a 2 1/2 hour excursion. Good luck in your mission!

there is also one in Skagway.

Here's an option for you in Juneau. Alaska Excursions offers Juneau Dog Sled Discovery. Their website is alaskaexcursions dot com Looks like you could book this independently. $129 per adult / $89 per child. Transfers included. Sweet puppy pictures on their site!

Enjoy your trip! May you have many more wonderful adventures together.

But if this is primarily a monetary issue, you're still better off with the Chilkoot tour than going on a separate tour to another musher camp, which will certainly cost you more than the extra $43 or $30 you'll spend on the non-eaten lunch!