Our Philippino Oceania Family Members

KIWP

None of us should ever take for granted the work done by any member of the crew.

They give up life at home to ensure our special experiences on board. This usually comes at the high price of being away from their families for many months. The work and salaries on ships may not be available/possible in their home countries.

No nationality is immune to tragedy and all deserve our respect and kindness.

This week's devastation in the typhoon ravaged Tacloban city if Leyte may very well affect many of those with whom we may be (or soon will be) cruising.

If it is in your nature to "to jump and criticize if your demands are not instantly met" please remember that these ladies and gentlemen are human beings whose hearts may be hurting for their loved ones. They don't have the luxury of choice and cannot jump on a plane to go home, but rather they must stay and continue taking care of the guests rather than their families.

(I am not fond of making comments on CC and recently promised myself that I would only read comments in lieu of participating in conversations. However when I see the crew criticized for not smiling or jumping to snapped fingers I feel the need to propose a reminder that everyone is human and subject to the emotions we all feel. I also don't have a problem signing my name, rather than hiding behind a CC nickname. I stand behind my words).

Karin

None of us should ever take for granted the work done by any member of the crew.

They give up life at home to ensure our special experiences on board. This usually comes at the high price of being away from their families for many months. The work and salaries on ships may not be available/possible in their home countries.

This week's devastation in the typhoon ravaged Tacloban city if Leyte may very well affect many of those with whom we may be (or soon will be) cruising.

If it is in your nature to "to jump and criticize if your demands are not instantly met" please remember that these ladies and gentlemen are human beings whose hearts may be hurting for their loved ones. They don't have the luxury of choice and cannot jump on a plane to go home, but rather they must stay and continue taking care of the guests rather than their families.

(I am not fond of making comments on CC and recently promised myself that I would only read comments in lieu of participating in conversations. However when I see the crew criticized for not smiling or jumping to snapped fingers I feel the need to propose a reminder that everyone is human and subject to the emotions we all feel. I also don't have a problem signing my name, rather than hiding behind a CC nickname. I stand behind my words).

Karin

After 7 cruises on Oceania I have not found very many people who jump up and criticize any of the crew. By and large they work very hard and do a great job for us. We should all pray for the families of those affected. :)

Our Prayers are with the crew who have family in the affected areas

People who abuse the crew verbally with demanding things are usually that way in all aspects of their lives.

We treat others as we wish to be treated whether they are crew or not

Good manners go a long way but seems some people have forgotten to pack them

Lyn

Having lived in the Philippines as a teenager and having been to Tacloban numerous times, well, it's devastating. I can't imagine how terrifying it must be to not be able to reach your loved ones or to see the destruction of your home area on tv. I believe the Red Cross in the US is trying to help put family members from the US in touch with those in the Philippines. Hopefully the cruise industry is finding a way to support their employees. My thoughts are with all those who have been impacted.

Given that I just posted something about a strange service dynamic on marina and I hate to be misunderstood, I want to stress that it seemed as though the staff was being harshly treated by mgmt, and in a very public way, which impacted the staff's ability to be at 100%. The treatment was upsetting, not getting a drink, only annoying and somewhat weird. Back in the day I quit a particularly horrible waitressing job and I took my apron off and chucked it at the abusive manager, and found a new waitressing job the next day. The employees of a cruise ship don't have that kind of freedom, and that must be awful.

Anita aka snohflake

After 6 Oceania cruises I have yet found any crew member who would not bend over backwards for you. I am and remain incredibly appreciative of all the hard work and hours they keep.

I agree totally All of the staff go out of their way to make our cruise a great one. :):):)

Very well said - and that respect should be anytime, not just because of a tragedy. Though my husband and I don't have cruises coming up in the near future I still read at CC. Our last one was July/Aug. 2013.

Sue

Karin