Have you been offered an upgrade from Celebrity

ForeverAtSea

For most of the time that I have been sailing Celebrity, it has been very uncommon for Celebrity to reach out to a passenger and offer an upgrade. Some cruise lines like Oceania do this all the time, and will contact a client (directly or through their TA) and offer significant upgrades for a very good price, as sailing date draws near. This did not seem to be a strategy in Celebrity's inventory management system.

More and more frequently, I have been reading on this Celebrity forum, of people being "offered" upgrades. Is this something that Celebrity is doing more often now, and are these upgrades offered at prices that are better than what can be found on the Celebrity website, or on the Exciting Deals?

After many cruises, I have yet to be offered an upgrade by Celebrity. I was just wondering if there is something a cruiser can do to optimize the chances of being offered an upgrade. :p

I think what you are talking about is an upsell. I've taken 18 cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and have never been offered a chance to move up cabin categories for money. I've been given three complimentary upgrades though.

Holland America does upsells on a regular basis though.

On our transatlantic on the equinox last year, we booked a suite guarantee and were immediately assigned a sky suite. A week later, when pulling up my reservation, I noticed we were in a Celebrity suite. No notification, nothing.

I called my travel agent to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me and she said she was wondering if I would notice, before she called and told us.

Yep, they upgraded us. Dunno why, since we are not elite members or anything resembling a VIP... but we sure were glad for the upgrade!

Recently we were booked on the Eclipse TA which is sailing now and had to cancel the day before the cruise. Having said that . . .

We had a S2 which we had gotten with a Suite GTY. About a month before the cruise we received an email from Celebrity which I believe went to Captain Club members telling us if we were interested in upgrading to a higher category to give them a call which was a special number for the upsells. When I called there was a Celebrity Suite available for a upsell of $800 total (remember this was for 13 days). We grabbed it as a treat to ourselves. I did ask how much it would have been to move into the Royal Suite if it had been available and was told $1,200 for the 13 days. It seemed that the prices quoted were after you told them what type of cabin you had.

That was our experience. When we cancelled I was worried if the upsell ($800) would be returned by Celebrity or the insurance we had through Celebrity. Indeed, Celebrity credited us for the $800 along with all the other changes (i.e., tips, beverages packages, etc.).

We taken about 10 Celebrity cruises and never been visited by the upgrade fairy unless we gave her some $$ to fly higher :) Have a great cruise!

Edited by charlielinda

We have never received an upgrade offer or complimentary upgrade. We are elite on Celebrity.

After reading several other posting about upgrades it appears if you book a suite guarantee you may have a better chance for an upgrade. We usually book the suite we want. Maybe we will have to try a guarantee next time :D.

17 celebrity cruises I have never been offered an upgrade.

No luck when I asked either.

It SEEMS the people I meet on board who talk about their upgrades are fairly new to X. I have wondered if it is because us regular X cruisers are already "in the bag". No need to "woo" someone in a long standing relationship.

I have been on 40 cruises. 20 on Celebrity. Have never been upgraded on Celebrity. We had a problem on one cruise and Celebrity called me and asked what they could do to please me. I told them I would like an upgrade on my next cruise, that was already booked. No upgrade. Found out through my roll call that several had been upgraded to suites. Not Elite either. However I have been upgraded on HAL, Silver Seas and Regent. All on my first cruise with them. Who knows ? I am still loyal to Celebrity.

Generally speaking, if I was ever offered an upgrade, unless it's a suite, I would say no. When I book I select the cabin my wife and I want. Now unless I inadvertently book a handicapped accesible cabin, I expect to not be moved.

Such is the case on my upcoming cruise. We finally were able to get an aft cabin and I will not move.

For most of the time that I have been sailing Celebrity, it has been very uncommon for Celebrity to reach out to a passenger and offer an upgrade. Some cruise lines like Oceania do this all the time, and will contact a client (directly or through their TA) and offer significant upgrades for a very good price, as sailing date draws near. This did not seem to be a strategy in Celebrity's inventory management system.

More and more frequently, I have been reading on this Celebrity forum, of people being "offered" upgrades. Is this something that Celebrity is doing more often now, and are these upgrades offered at prices that are better than what can be found on the Celebrity website, or on the Exciting Deals?

After many cruises, I have yet to be offered an upgrade by Celebrity. I was just wondering if there is something a cruiser can do to optimize the chances of being offered an upgrade. :p

Nope, never....and we are elite first cruise in 1990.

Edited by 20pluscruises
descrition was wrong

Out of all our cruises we have only been upgraded once and that was on HAL. The room was nice. I liked the double sinks in the bathroom. That being said I wanted the room we booked. We were not told until we checked in at the pier. HAL told us no we could not have the rooms we booked. Never went back to HAL. We have 65 nights with HAL. When we cruise we book the rooms we want. It is not as much about cost as it is about location on the ship. On Celebrity we book center aft just below the Oceanview café. If they would upgrade us on a S Class ship down one floor to Deck 11 Penthouse it might be ok if we were still center aft. But if it was on a M Class ship upgraded down to deck 6 Penthouse I would be very unhappy. Richard

We were booked in a Sky Suite for our cruise to Bermuda last June. Just prior to the cruise we received a phone call from Celebrity offering us a Royal Suite for another $1200 total. We declined.
We were offered the same deal last May on Summitl. We jumped on it and were really glad we did. They know what they are doing, though. On our upcoming relocation cruise on Summit, we paid up front for an RS. No possibility of upgrade/upsell this time though, as both Penthouse Suites are taken by good folks on our roll call. Edited by hughdm

We got an upgrade on our very first cruise ever- it was Celebrity Mercury.

We booked a porthole oceanview on deck 3. At check in, they offered us an oceanview on deck 9 with a huge window. I declined, because my sister/brother in law were next to us on deck 3. The attendant said, "They checked in first and also got an upgrade to deck 9, your upgrade will be next door to them."

So we took it and enjoyed it! (And note my sister didn't think of ditching us on deck 3 when they offered her the upgrade!)

We have unfortunately never gotten an upgrade on X but are hoping for a first time, we're booked on Reflection in March and have an AQ1 stateroom. It doesn't give X much wiggle room to work with but we can hope. Sounds like a call to X might be in order.

We just checked our reservation this morning for Saturdays sailing on the Reflection out of Miami and noticed our room was changed to a 1c on deck 8 (Veranda) from an ocean view on deck 3. No notice just showed up. Hope it is ligit and not just a computer glitch. Checking with X right now.

We've never been offered an upgrade. Even when we were onboard Summit during our B2B and made it clear we would pay for an upgraded cabin on the second leg, they couldn't seem to figure out how to sell it to us. It was very frustrating, actually, since I know there was availability.

• 2 weeks later...