Beach valuables safety

trixiegolf

Good question. It is hard to do. I bring a zip lock bag and bury money and ID in the sand discreetly. Take my chances with camera. The less you take the better of you are. I have thought about water proof wallets but felt like there was more chance losing it in the ocean than losing it on the beach.

What do I use to keep my money, etc. safe while I'm at the beach swimming??

I place all my money, credit card, cabin key card.., into a plastic zip-lock bag and discreetly burry it next to our towels(or sun beds). I place my sandals on top, so I can remember where I buried it. Never had a problem.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

There are beach chair "safes" you can buy. Or you can get a dry box to wear around your neck and put your $ and valubles in that. Google it. I would NOT leave my belongings on a chair or in a bag nearby.

We had a horrible experience on Labadee when my phone/camera was stolen. Almost ruined our day. :(

I second the dry box idea. I've had the smaller kind that goes around your neck (great for holding your cabin key, credit card and a small amount of cash). I've also had one that goes around the waist - kind of like a fanny pack. I got that in a dive shop.

I don't bother with my camera on beach days. Besides the possibility of theft, the combination of salt water and sand damager is just not a risk I want to take. I figure I'm on the beach to relax and play in the water. I can pass on the pictures for one day.

Kwik Tek Dry Pak Alligator Wallet

I've tried about 4 different types of waterproof wallets over the years. This is the only one which will not leak if I'm diving down 15 to 20 feet under water while snorkeling. It is just the right size to hold a sea passes, credit card and drivers license for two people as well as pleanty of cash for a day's excursion. I tie it to my bathing suit when I'm swimming.

t440_de256d57f481f6647300a0babe4763a5.jpg?1368146836

Manufacturer's link: http://www.airhead.com/p/alligator-wallet-4-x-4?pp=24

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/DRY-DP-44-Alligator-Waterproof-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

They also make versions to hold phones and other electronics although I'm not sure if I trust those enough to put my iPhone in one. But if our cards and cash every get damp they'll all dry out so no real harm done. I have a seperate waterproof case for my camera which is designed for taking the camera diving - so I take that into the water with me as well.

Edited by Lsimon

I use a couple of different Otterbox products. The first is small, with room for DL's, ship's cards, a credit card, folding money and a small set of keys. It fits in my bathing suit pocket and I use it instead of a wallet on all shore excursions, whether or not headed to the beach. It's waterproof and I use it for swimming, snorkelling and scuba diving. It also has a lanyard with which I secure it to my bathing suit.

http://www.otterbox.com/OtterBox-Drybox-1000/OTR3-1000S,default,pd.html

I have a larger Otterbox that I use if I'm taking my iPhone or passports along, as they don't fit in the smaller box. While it's too big for my pockets, I have no difficulty clipping it to a bathing suit. It's quite buoyant, even when full, so you don't have to worry about it sinking if it become detached. You could put a small camera in it, although we use a waterproof camera and always have it out when we are in or around the water.

http://www.otterbox.com/Pursuits/40/otr-pursuits40,default,pd.html

I started using Otterboxes a number of years ago and find that they are strong, light, waterproof and never open by accident. While I like and stick with them, there are competing brands that offer similar products.

While burying valuables in the sand would probably work most of the time, I'd be worried about someone noticing what I was doing. When diving or snorkelling, we are often away from the beach and out of view for extended periods of time, not much of a challenge for an enterprising thief. :eek:

Kwik Tek Dry Pak Alligator Wallet

I've tried about 4 different types of waterproof wallets over the years. This is the only one which will not leak if I'm diving down 15 to 20 feet under water while snorkeling. It is just the right size to hold a sea passes, credit card and drivers license for two people as well as pleanty of cash for a day's excursion. I tie it to my bathing suit when I'm swimming.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/DRY-DP-44-Alligator-Waterproof-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

They also make versions to hold phones and other electronics although I'm not sure if I trust those enough to put my iPhone in one.

We use this one too. My DH usually puts it into the zipper pocket of his swim trunks. I have a bigger one for a camera but since I bough a waterproof camera I don't use it.

Mary Lou

I use a couple of different Otterbox products. The first is small, with room for DL's, ship's cards, a credit card, folding money and a small set of keys. It fits in my bathing suit pocket and I use it instead of a wallet on all shore excursions, whether or not headed to the beach. It's waterproof and I use it for swimming, snorkelling and scuba diving. It also has a lanyard with which I secure it to my bathing suit.

http://www.otterbox.com/OtterBox-Drybox-1000/OTR3-1000S,default,pd.html

I have a larger Otterbox that I use if I'm taking my iPhone or passports along, as they don't fit in the smaller box. While it's too big for my pockets, I have no difficulty clipping it to a bathing suit. It's quite buoyant, even when full, so you don't have to worry about it sinking if it become detached. You could put a small camera in it, although we use a waterproof camera and always have it out when we are in or around the water.

http://www.otterbox.com/Pursuits/40/otr-pursuits40,default,pd.html

I started using Otterboxes a number of years ago and find that they are strong, light, waterproof and never open by accident. While I like and stick with them, there are competing brands that offer similar products.

While burying valuables in the sand would probably work most of the time, I'd be worried about someone noticing what I was doing. When diving or snorkelling, we are often away from the beach and out of view for extended periods of time, not much of a challenge for an enterprising thief. :eek:

Not sure I agree -- every "water-proof" box we have used eventually breaks down and leaks. We snorkel three of four times a year and these boxes are cumbersome and not very dependable. (the OtterBox is better than most!:D) Leave your expensive phone and camera onboard the ship. We have a few second tier cameras we take to the beach and just wrap it up in clothing and leave it on your towel. Still think the "burying" method is your best option for your few dollars + maybe a credit card + your room key card + photo ID. You can see your stuff from the ocean in most cases.

Lsimon's case is a good option as well.

Enjoy!

Edited by kelmac

Not sure I agree -- every "water-proof" box we have used eventually breaks down and leaks. We snorkel three of four times a year and these boxes are cumbersome and not very dependable. (the OtterBox is better than most!:D) Leave your expensive phone and camera onboard the ship. We have a few second tier cameras we take to the beach and just wrap it up in clothing and leave it on your towel. Still think the "burying" method is your best option for your few dollars + maybe a credit card + your room key card + photo ID. You can see your stuff from the ocean in most cases.

Lsimon's case is a good option as well.

Enjoy!

I've only had the larger one for a couple of years, so I can't speak to its longevity. The smaller one, however, has given me well over ten years of service, several hundred dives and countless hours of swimming and snorkelling every year. I also use it for various other pursuits, including canoeing and kayaking. If you keep sand out of the seal (the #1 cause of leakage problems) and treat the seal with silicone regularly, you shouldn't run into problems.

Cumbersome? Not all all. Just slips into a pocket and is forgotten. :)

Edited by Fouremco

I have seen young thieves grab a beach bag and run.

I use a retractable cable lock to secure my knapsack to a beach chair or palm tree. I realize it won't stop a thief from cutting the cable but will stop a snatch and run.

Burying in the sand seems like a good idea but I'm affraid I might forget to dig them up before I leave, I'm like that;)

Like this:

381463799_retractablelock.jpg.811d8e9e6eb659d0dc17b1d04932ece3.jpg

I've only had the larger one for a couple of years, so I can't speak to its longevity. The smaller one, however, has given me well over ten years of service, several hundred dives and countless hours of swimming and snorkelling every year. I also use it for various other pursuits, including canoeing and kayaking. If you keep sand out of the seal (the #1 cause of leakage problems) and treat the seal with silicone regularly, you shouldn't run into problems.

Cumbersome? Not all all. Just slips into a pocket and is forgotten. :)

The silicone treatment seems like a good idea. We live in the desert, so I'm sure the dry air has something to do with our problems with box seals?

If I could fit it into a zipper pocket of my swim trunks, I'm sure it would be fine. :)

Enjoy!

Kel

Edited by kelmac

The silicone treatment seems like a good idea. We live in the desert, so I'm sure the dry air has something to do with our problems with box seals?

If I could fit it into a zipper pocket of my swim trunks, I'm sure it would be fine. :)

Enjoy!

Kel

Just pick up a little bottle of liquid silicone and put a very light coating from time to time.

I buy all of my bathing suits with generous pockets. No Speedos for me! :D

Cheers!

I use the same cable lock as post #12. These can be hard to find, but they were originally developed as ski locks (skis are seldom locked anymore - young thieves want snowboards), so if you live in an area with ski shops, try there.

We put all valuables in a backpack, zipper it closed, and put the cable through the zippers, and lock to a tree or beach chair. We make sure the lock is prominent. This security can be defeated in about a minute, but that's all that is needed. Thieves won't mess with a locked bag when there are usually 20 others around just for the picking.

We have a vacation vault and love it! It has a combination lock and can be attached to about anything. I used it last cruise to lock up my valuables and the beach bag to a bench on our snorkel boat. It can be used attached to a beach lounger, or even in your cabin in the closet. While it is a bit big for luggage packing - I just make sure to stuff it full of socks so that it isn't wasted space. http://www.vacationvault.com

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I purchased a small case that can fasten to your swim suit. The only problem was that it automatically inflates and insists on surfacing! I'm going to tray one of the other tried and true options.

I second the dry box idea. I've had the smaller kind that goes around your neck (great for holding your cabin key, credit card and a small amount of cash). I've also had one that goes around the waist - kind of like a fanny pack. I got that in a dive shop.

I don't bother with my camera on beach days. Besides the possibility of theft, the combination of salt water and sand damager is just not a risk I want to take. I figure I'm on the beach to relax and play in the water. I can pass on the pictures for one day.

I agree about the camera. I'd be really ticked off if I lost our good one. Our beach experience usually involves snorkeling, so I buy a cheap, disposable underwater camera. Yes, it uses film (how quaint!) and I use it to take pictures of fish, shipwrecks etc. Admittedly, I've yet to get the picture that would remotely interest National Geographic, but I get some degree of memories from the result, and if the camera is taken, it won't ruin the day, let alone the holiday.

As for other valuables, less is more. I wear swimming trunks with a zipper-closed pocket. I put my ship card and whatever cash I need (again, not enough to get upset about losing) in a zip-lock bag and put that in my pocket.

DW and I are avid snorkelers, swimmers, and even do SCUBA. We have never been happy with the so-called waterproof boxes/plastic cases. For several years I have kept my valuables (cash, credit cards, etc) in a "Splash Caddy" which works well as long as you remember to properly seal the internal bag. This fanny pack (with internal waterproof bag) is effective down to pretty deep depths (we have used it for SCUBA). Here is a link to info:

http://www.magellans.com/splash-caddy

There are also other waterproof packs sold by various travel sites.

Hank

We've used a disposable underwater cameras for about $20 which have the advantages of underwater shots and not being a target for theft. They yield surprisingly decent pictures which you can get digitally rendered as well as printed at any major drug store. That's enough to record a beach/snorkel day. They usually come with a wrist strap.

That plus the waterproof wallet and you're set for a great, safe day.

Here's are samples from Tabyana beach on Roatan:

ImageUploadedByForums1384520397.417659.jpg.fc27a899d0c2e9c91e52eb89aac89b43.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1384520410.999250.jpg.959c4bf7a4e8011ddbc03fe41de61efb.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1384520421.904446.jpg.b9958fc147c877feec417d2e35db6b59.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1384520439.462688.jpg.294a16e209ba730dfe4a44b6202bf4ab.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1384520449.260965.jpg.a3dc859441430dfacc494fb57fcfc0ac.jpg

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ImageUploadedByForums1384520361.668920.jpg.bba6afb01e41bfd41e514269f368f685.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1384520373.876902.jpg.dcf05bff5474994c7c212803e702aea4.jpg