Trivia games and game shows!!

Hello!

I have only been on 2 other royal caribbean cruises and being a 17 year old girl, haven't actually participated in trivia games or quests! I've heard that they were quite fun, so can you tell me about your experience with them??

What sort of questions are asked?? eg. about the ship, or general knowledge?

I've only done scavenger hunts but hoping to participate in some trivia next month when I'm sailing on the voyager

Thank you!! :)

Please tell me which ones I can participate in as a 17 year old?? I know that some, e.g. the love and marriage is out of the option (lol)

The trivial questions are general knowledge question. On my last cruise (Singapore to Sydney on the Voyager getting in last week) they asked us "Who invented dynamite?" twice. You form groups of up to six so it is very sociable. They also have music trivia which sometimes has a theme like "The Beatles" where they play a bit of the song and ask you what song it was. We also had a progressive trivia which was 4 sessions on different days. All in all lots of fun, go for it.

My tip is to get there 10-15 minutes early and sit by yourself and then you will have people come and sit with you as the room fills up without having to go up to people yourself.

Hello!

I have only been on 2 other royal caribbean cruises and being a 17 year old girl, haven't actually participated in trivia games or quests! I've heard that they were quite fun, so can you tell me about your experience with them??

What sort of questions are asked?? eg. about the ship, or general knowledge?

I've only done scavenger hunts but hoping to participate in some trivia next month when I'm sailing on the voyager

Please tell me which ones I can participate in as a 17 year old?? I know that some, e.g. the love and marriage is out of the option (lol)

I think you can participate in all the trivia and the Quest.

On our last cruise my 21 year old son and his friend won first place in the "michael jackson" trivia game. Usually in the schooner bar/lounge every night there is a different music trivia contest...all different genres......enjoy

There will be several different trivia contests throughout the week. They will take place in different venues. There are also "Name that Tune" or "Finish the Lyrics" contests. Check your Compass daily to find out when/where they are being held. At 17, you will be able to participate in all of the contests.

I'd say most are general knowledge but as others have pointed out they have special subjects from time to time -- many of the special subjects are music related [like Beatles trivia. I think I recall some movie related quizzes as well. There are also special formats like "name that tune" where they play a brief snippet and you have to name the song. One of my favorites is "Tri-bond" trivia where they give you three words and you have to identify what they have in common [easy example: snow, base, foot -- they are all balls].

Some trivia in general, other is specific topics like other have said. The cruise compass will give you a good idea of the type. If you participate in the trivia, you may even find other teams want to recruit you. We love trivia and have found having a broad age range in our group helps cover all the topics. You'll find many people are "regulars" at the various games through the cruise.

They usually have one general trivia and one specific topic one.

Ones I can think of...Michael Jackson, Name that 70s (or 60s or 80s), "Friends" (tv show), Movies (usually a specific year), TV theme songs, and one of my favorites was cryptic trivia (brain teaser)

On our trip to Hawaii, my DS and DD were 18 and 16. They were the reason we won the Quest. The keychains were Awesome!!! lol The kids were in the onboard video a lot. If I remember right, my son was voted "best boxers on board"! :eek: Enjoy yourself :D

Trivia is a lot of fun, and like others mentioned, getting a broad range of ages helps and also other nationalities and try and get at least one Canadian on your team. lol You can have a team of up to six members. We love trivia. Years ago it was pretty easy and repetitive. Lately, its been very difficult. Have no idea where they come up with these questions and now and then you'll definitely see an argument ensue regarding the answer.

For example.

What is the most popular drink in the U.S.

Milk????

yeah, we said no way, we ALL said no way. So we looked it up. Acutally water has replaced soda as the most popular. Yet Wiki did say milk. Now wiki is altered by whoever wants to alter that. So should the staff accept a response on Wiki. I think not.

Keep in mind you are playing for a silly key chain....so never get your knickers in a knot over the trivia on board.

We love trivia but wish the prizes were a little better...

C'mon, a pen or cheap luggage tag!

We have also won passport holders and hats. It's really more about the fun than the prizes.

Also should note their answer isn't always correct, but seem to have no ability or motivation to correct it. I have a feeling they get their questions from a "pool" sent by the corporate office. I don't recall any trivia question being re-used, but the name that tune games with prerecorded clips do repeat from cruise to cruise.

I've only seen it a couple of times, but you might like MAJORITY RULES if you see it. It's usually in the early evenings, but its not an "adult only" activity. In fact given the nature of it, it helps to have a diverse team to come up with the team's answers.

Seems they ask the Honey question most every cruise. ( What food never spoils?)

We had an interesting experience recently. We played trivia twice. The second time ( the next day) the questions were almost a repeat of the day prior. We tried to tell the staff that the questions were the same, but she did not have another set of questions. So, while we had a (very) low score the first game, we “aced” the second game. Honestly, we wanted to leave (as it really wasn’t much fun) , but our group convinced us to stay. I guess they really wanted the highlighter prize!

Once we joined a super competitive group and they gave everyone a slip of paper to write your guess of the correct answer. The point was to show your guess to the group and the group would point to and select the best answer. They did this so other groups did not hear the answer discussion. Oh brother – That was NOT fun!

As mentioned in the thread, a mixed age group generally has an advantage over a group with all like participants.

OP - enjoy the games.

M