Back to the boards!

hihosilvers

Hey all.

As a former daily (all day!) visitor to this forum, I have to say that it feels strange to have been away for so long. In the past, we've always booked almost a year in advance, and then I browsed the board for all the nitty gritty details of our upcoming cruise. A winter 2014 cruise was simply not in our plans - THAT IS UNTIL YESTERDAY!!!

Friends and former cruising partners convinced us to join them on the Jan 12 Breeze sailing, and we're so excited - but - I need to power through some of the stuff I've missed over the past year....and I feel completely lost.

So, any volunteers who would like to bring me up to speed on the latest and greatest (or not-so-great) news regarding Carnival?

What are we looking at?

What you'll probably notice the most is the lesser entertainment on board.

It's not what it used to be, but given the falling value of your Dollar

and the fact that the cost of Carnival cruises is about the same

you get what you pay for! :)

If you need a "better" cruise than what Carnival provides for Carnival prices

then a multitude of "better" cruise lines await your business! :)

Carnival has had a few changes since you cruised last.

For instance, just recently John Heald came out with this statement to all cruisers regarding pending changes on Carnival,

"If you like your cruiseline, you can keep it!! Period!! And if you like your cruise director, you can keep 'em!! Period!!":eek:

Carnival may or may not be changing the menu.

And there will be some brilliant changes coming in the next few months.

Unless of course they are not brilliant changes.

Well I just lost it!!! BAHAHAHAHAHA...that is too funny!

OP I will have to say, you will notice a difference in entertainment. To be more specific a lack of entertainment. More shows where the audience entertains each other, not an entertainer. Gone are the days of the orchestra or live bands. Now you get piped in music to the production shows and a dj on the lido. The production shows are now only 30 minutes long and each one has a maximum of 8 entertainers. To those of us that have been around for a while, we call it a cut. But there are those that think it is no big deal.

If you are not Platinum or Diamond then they have FTTF, for a total of $50 per cabin you get to experience everything a Platinum/Diamond person has earned except for free laundry (which was reduced from unlimited to 3 bags on a 7 night cruise), and no platinum/Diamond gift for the FTTF people.

The pizza has changed. Now it is on a paper thin wafer crust. I thought it tasted like burnt paper but a lot of people like it. I guess it depends on whether you are a thick or thin crust person.

On the positive side, the Breeze does have Cucina del Capitano. It is awesome. Lunch is free and dinner is $12 pp. I also loved Sea Dogs on the Breeze but miss the grill that they did away with that served hamburgers and hot dogs on the lido deck.

They now have Guys's Burgers (IMHO not good but most people love them) and the Blue Iguana Cantina on the lido deck.

Carnival now has it's own signature beer...the Thirsty Frog. Pretty good beer IMHO.

Also, the Breeze has the Tandoor grill. It serves Indian cuisine at lunch time. It was great also.

Carnival now has the Cheers program. For $57.44 pp per day (15% automatic gratuity is included) you get Carnivals drink package. Everyone 21 and older in the cabin must purchase it. Drinks are limited to 15 drinks per day. You must purchase the program for the duration of your cruise. Top shelf liquors and premium wines are not included. You are entitled to unlimited non-alcoholic beverages as well, including soft drinks and they are not counted towards the 15 per day. If I am correct, the total price for 2 adults in a cabin on a 7 night cruise would be $804.16.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Hey all.

As a former daily (all day!) visitor to this forum, I have to say that it feels strange to have been away for so long. In the past, we've always booked almost a year in advance, and then I browsed the board for all the nitty gritty details of our upcoming cruise. A winter 2014 cruise was simply not in our plans - THAT IS UNTIL YESTERDAY!!!

Friends and former cruising partners convinced us to join them on the Jan 12 Breeze sailing, and we're so excited - but - I need to power through some of the stuff I've missed over the past year....and I feel completely lost.

So, any volunteers who would like to bring me up to speed on the latest and greatest (or not-so-great) news regarding Carnival?

What are we looking at?

Welcome back!!

I agree with the poster who said that although things have changed (what hasn't, in the last years?) you still get value for your $$ on Carnival and lots of FUN!!

Pam

Welcome back!!

I agree with the poster who said that although things have changed (what hasn't, in the last years?) you still get value for your $$ on Carnival and lots of FUN!!

Pam

You certainly do get value but would be happy to pay more for better entertainment.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Good or bad, it sounds like things are about the same. I do agree that for the $$, Carnival can't be beat.

I did experience the new production shows last year, and this is an area of great disappointment for me. I used to love the live orchestra/band, and the broadway-style production shows. These new ones are show-in-a-can productions, and suck big time. Definitely a cost cut, but still, not a deal breaker for me.

Can someone elaborate on the hamburger/hot-dog grill that was eliminated from the Lido dick on the Breeze?

The grill was not eliminated from the breeze, it was never there, the breeze, has guys burgers and sea dogs instead along with blue iguana (burritos, tacos). Along with lots of other options for lunch

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app

You certainly do get value but would be happy to pay more for better entertainment.

Stu,

Try NCL after your Princess cruise. Better entertainment then CCL, or Princess.

Looking at the EPIC for beginning of March. December prices for the Epic for non holiday sailings are in the low $300's for inside.

Bill