when is spring break 2015?

Gigi11111

Spring break is different all over the country

Yes it varies probably over a 6 week period at least. Colleges, high schools, there is no one week time:rolleyes:. No point in trying to avoid "spring break" if you're thinking of travelling in March or early April.

We cruised for several years in January/February. Our last couple have been in late March and we didn't really notice a lot more kids on board. Though they were from San Juan, don't know if that makes any difference.

Edited by bouhunter

Forget March. The entire month of March is usually filled with scheduled spring breaks. Most school districts and colleges no longer take Easter into account.

Spring breaks usually start in late February (not much spring about that) and go probably until the week after Easter. If you avoid that 6-7 weeks you'll avoid the vast majority of spring breakers.

Canadian Universities typically have their break in late February. The elementary and high schools are almost always the week around March 17. I know it's mostly Americans on the cruises but on that week in March you'll see higher numbers of Canadians with children.

Depends on what type of spring breakers you're trying to avoid. College begins mid-late February and is pretty much wrapped up by the third week in March, but K12 starts in early March and peaks the last week in March or the first week in April. The last three weeks in April are probably your safest bet.

As I said we have always done the 1st week in April as it is the best time of the year for my husband I to get time off...This year we have 5 other couple going with us including our parents. We will be doing the Allure or the Oasis again. We want the Western Caribbean so we will need to pick March 28th or April 5th.....I guess I can just toss a coin(lol)

Thanks for all your help

As I said we have always done the 1st week in April as it is the best time of the year for my husband I to get time off...This year we have 5 other couple going with us including our parents. We will be doing the Allure or the Oasis again. We want the Western Caribbean so we will need to pick March 28th or April 5th.....I guess I can just toss a coin(lol)

Thanks for all your help

Wait till the schedules come out. Allure is possibly going into drydock in Europe at that time.

Depends on what type of spring breakers you're trying to avoid. College begins mid-late February and is pretty much wrapped up by the third week in March, but K12 starts in early March and peaks the last week in March or the first week in April. The last three weeks in April are probably your safest bet.

You also have to consider April school vacation week for some of the northeastern states which is later in April and coincides with Patriots Day for Massachusetts at least. For 2014 it is the week of April 21 and the week of April 20, 2015.

You also have to consider April school vacation week for some of the northeastern states which is later in April and coincides with Patriots Day for Massachusetts at least. For 2014 it is the week of April 21 and the week of April 20, 2015.

True, but the northeastern states tend to standardize their spring break weeks so they don't interfere with the short spring sports season - which makes them a bit easier to plan around. When I coached up in NY, all the HS in the state had the same week off - usually the week after Easter.

Bottom line, the only way to avoid spring breakers entirely is to avoid sailing from mid February until late April - I guess you just have to pick your poison - do you avoid college breakers, or K12 breakers.

FWIW, if there is a particular institution you wish to avoid, you could look to see if their academic calendar is online. As an example, I'll include a link to ours. My solution to your problem is to take cruises that are longer than a week. Enjoy your cruise.

http://www.registrar.northwestern.edu/calendars/

Much easier to google spring break and find the travel agents that list the vast majority of university spring break dates. There are two different sites that will tell you the university name, enrollment and approximate total number of college students off by week. I can not link the sites I reference since both are travel agencies but they are not hard to find.

I've read that you should avoid Holy week if you are cruising from a Port that gets cruisers from Mexico, May apply to Puerto Rico as well.

"Question: When Is Holy Week 2014?

Holy Week 2014 is the final week before Easter 2014 and the last week of Lent 2014. When is Holy Week 2014?

Answer: Holy Week, which commemorates the Passion of Christ, begins on Palm Sunday 2014, which falls on April 13, 2014. Holy Week 2014 ends on Holy Saturday 2014, which falls on April 19, 2014."

Edited by travelingmomonthego