Just off Oasis - mind/body still swaying

bbevanston

Make it stop !! How??? We left the ship at 7:30am this past Saturday. Home by 2pm. My eye/mind/body is still swaying. Usually it goes away within a day or two but it is Monday already and I'm at the office working. If I'm moving around it isn't so bad but when I sit in front of my computer it is really bad. How do I make it stop? I'm swaying as I type.

HELP !!!

The last time it happened to me, it lasted 3 weeks.....very annoying! It will go away, but it can certainly take time!

My worst times were in small spaces, like a shower or closet....I didn't have much swaying in larger areas, thank goodness!

Try an antihistimine....sometimes, that helps!

Make it stop !! How??? We left the ship at 7:30am this past Saturday. Home by 2pm. My eye/mind/body is still swaying. Usually it goes away within a day or two but it is Monday already and I'm at the office working. If I'm moving around it isn't so bad but when I sit in front of my computer it is really bad. How do I make it stop? I'm swaying as I type.

HELP !!!

You may have an inner ear problem. See your doctor. :)

I just got off the Oasis this past Saturday, too. The swaying motion always lasts a couple of days for me. Just goes away on it own. I'm suffering from a moderate case of PCB (post cruise blues). I guess I have to book another cruise soon.

BTW, I had a great time on Oasis and can't wait to sail her again :)

I just got off the Oasis this past Saturday, too. The swaying motion always lasts a couple of days for me. Just goes away on it own. I'm suffering from a moderate case of PCB (post cruise blues). I guess I have to book another cruise soon.

BTW, I had a great time on Oasis and can't wait to sail her again :)

Me too. That rain in Cozumel and last day really cut into my zip lining time :)

Probably the best remedy is to find a good pic from one of these fine photogs on CC (preferably a POV style shot), set it as your desktop wallpaper and imagine yourself still being on your cruise! The rocking will make it extra-realistic!

Probably the best remedy is to find a good pic from one of these fine photogs on CC (preferably a POV style shot), set it as your desktop wallpaper and imagine yourself still being on your cruise! The rocking will make it extra-realistic!

OMG that's going to make me throw up. I can't even think of lunch right now. :eek:

This is going to sound really dumb but my very first cruise was a 7 day and 6 of the 7 days we were in waves of 30' + seas. When I came off the ship I was fine so long as I was moving but when I would be still it felt just like I was on the ship. After about 2-3 weeks I said something to a friend and they were told to lay on your bed on your back with your shoulders on the edge and your head hanging over the edge. Stay like that for 5-10 minutes. I did it and presto, it balanced the fluids in my ears causing me not to have the motion anymore. It's funny, I have never gotten sea sick, I get land sick!!! I guess that means I need to stay on a ship FOREVER!!!

Good Luck!

This is going to sound really dumb but my very first cruise was a 7 day and 6 of the 7 days we were in waves of 30' + seas. When I came off the ship I was fine so long as I was moving but when I would be still it felt just like I was on the ship. After about 2-3 weeks I said something to a friend and they were told to lay on your bed on your back with your shoulders on the edge and your head hanging over the edge. Stay like that for 5-10 minutes. I did it and presto, it balanced the fluids in my ears causing me not to have the motion anymore. It's funny, I have never gotten sea sick, I get land sick!!! I guess that means I need to stay on a ship FOREVER!!!

Good Luck!

Thanks Donna. I will try tonight. I could always do it at my desk, lie across it with my head hanging over the edge but that might freak out my co-workers. This is going to be a LONG day in the office.

Thanks Donna. I will try tonight. I could always do it at my desk, lie across it with my head hanging over the edge but that might freak out my co-workers. This is going to be a LONG day in the office.

Do please let us know if it works or not... I had that after one of our cruises, two weeks of "lurching and swaying" at my desk. lol I do hope it works...

HELP !!!

While on a cruise I don't get motion sickness, but when I get off a cruise I feel like the ship is still moving. I won't drive for the first two days. The feeling for me is intermittent and after my last cruise it lasted around 2 -3 weeks. I wish I knew how to make it stop. If anyone has experience in making it better I would appreciate hearing it as well. The feeling is definitely not pleasant, but for me the joys of cruising outweigh the after-affects.

This is from wiki: Mal de debarquement (or Mal de débarquement) syndrome (MdDS, or disembarkment syndrome) is a rare condition usually occurring after a cruise, aircraft flight, or other sustained motion event. It has only recently received attention and very little scientific research has been conducted. The phrase "mal de débarquement" is French for "disembarkation sickness".

I always have issues after I get off the ship and taking an antihistamine helps a lot. The other thing that helps that you could probably try at work is to put a warm cloth behind your ear to try to move the fluid in your eustation tubes. I have issues with inner ear pressure and a little heat can make a big difference.

HELP !!!

Book another cruise.

Good Luck!

Thanks Donna. I hadn't seen your reply before I replied. I will be cruising in 2 weeks and if I get my usual post-cruise feeling of the ship still moving I will have to give this a try, though I do like the other option even better, stay on a ship forever!!! :D

Do please let us know if it works or not... I had that after one of our cruises, two weeks of "lurching and swaying" at my desk. lol I do hope it works...

me too. Always seems to take a couple of weeks to stop swaying!

HELP !!!

Thanks, I'm used to a few hours perceiving the ground is moving but not into the next day. Sitting at lunch 24hrs post cruise I asked the wife, are you still rocking? No, why? Never mind. I figured the rum had finally pickled my cerebellum and next week I would be wearing a diaper. You have lessened my paranoia.

It doesn't help you, bbevanston, but I'm delighted to see this thread and hope that somebody will have a reliable remedy. I last cruised some 20 or more years ago and had such an awful time with post-cruise imbalance that I've never cruised since. I was in bed for 3 days, couldn't stand up without falling over. Even a 1/2 day cruise is enough to upset my balance for the next day or so. I don't have problems with any other kind of transport.

I've never come across anyone else who suffers the same, so I'm excited to see there are a few of us around and that this imbalance has a name :)

Anyway, my husband has convinced me that cruise ships are better now and we're off on a 5 day cruise next year which he's looking forward to far more than I am.

Any advice welcome!

Edited by Desert.girl

I am just off the Explorer last Thursday. Right now I'm swaying. Earlier today it wasn't too bad. We had a rough last day at sea, and I think that is making it worse this time.

I'm encouraged that it is only sporadic today instead of constant, like every other day until today.

Looking at signatures, it seems most of the posters on this thread are women. Below are some quotes regarding women:

"The most frequent sufferers are middle-aged women who have been on at least a seven-day cruise."

"For reasons that are not understood, women are overwhelmingly more likely to come down with MdDS than are men. However, most studies so far have disavowed hormones as a cause."

I am a middle-aged woman (I can't believe I am stating that :eek:) but my cruises have all been under 7 days.

Another article states:

"Awareness of MdDS needs to be raised so that people do not have to endure the anxiety and frustration of not knowing what is wrong with them, and often being dismissed as mad, because "it is all in their head"."

Another states:

"This syndrome is probably more common than the literature might lead us to believe, as the level of awareness in the general population as well as among health personnel is very low."

I believe that is so true. Until I did some research, I thought I was the only one who suffered with this.

To the OP I am so glad you brought up the subject. Maybe more CC members will post their experiences and/or their solutions for dealing with this.

Good Luck!

Yesterday afternoon, I thought I was going to totally lose it at work. Had to hold on to a desk while standing in my co-worker's office. On the commuter train ride home (20 mins), I almost lost it but the fresh air outside (40 degrees) help while walking home. I did the hanging head over the bed for 5 mins (couldn't do it any longer). Rested for 3 and hung it over the bed again for another 3 and then fell asleep for 20. Then go up, felt a little better, threw the little ones into bed (lord know what they ended up doing all night), my husband and I crashed at 7:30pm. Feel a little better today, about 50% gone but still swaying a bit. The 28 degree morning COLD air helped a lot walking to the train. My husband got hit this morning. His patch must have worn off. He put it on last Friday and it has a 3 day limit. He got out of bed, showered, then passed out and said he was going to throw up. I told him to hang his head over the bed. Not sure what happened, left him that way since I had to take the kids to school and go to work. My co-worker gave me a bottle of "Bundaberg ginger beer" non-alcholic from Costco. Like really strong gingerale. I put it on ice and like the taste considering I HATE ginger. Have a bottle for my husband to drink tonight. BTW...I hate 2 Halloween snickers last night for dinner, couldn't stomach any food. My co-worker also said she was sick for 4 days after her cruise and had to literally sit on the bedroom floor for hours. I wonder if it was because the Oasis hit some bad storms last week. I didn't have this problem for this long before and I have been on HAL 4x already. Good luck to all those are suffering alongside with me.

Got off a 13 night transatlantic on Independence last Friday. Still having a lot of motion. I usually do get this for about a week after disembarking but this time it's worse. We did have some rough sea days so that might be playing a part in the severity this time.

I tried laying on the bed and hanging my head over but had to stop after 3 minutes as I got really nauseous.

I think I will try the antihistamines next.......:cool:

Got off a 13 night transatlantic on Independence last Friday. Still having a lot of motion. I usually do get this for about a week after disembarking but this time it's worse. We did have some rough sea days so that might be playing a part in the severity this time.

I tried laying on the bed and hanging my head over but had to stop after 3 minutes as I got really nauseous.

Try antihistamines and a warm wash cloth behind your ear, it really helped me after our last cruise. Just run the hot water from the tap, wring out the cloth and put it on your nick right behind your earlobe. The nurse practitioner I went to see after I almost passed out in the grocery store said it helps the eustation tubes drain and relieves pressure.

I am not sure if it was psychosomatic or what, but it worked great for me.

Combat this sea sickness on land by continuing to take some ginger capsules for a few days after the cruise. I take them when cruising and when I stop after the cruise the floor moves on me for days. By taking the ginger for 3 days after I have not experienced this. My DH is an alternative medical dr and this cures it!

So sorry to hear that. You're in Alberta, must be fairly cold. Try some fresh air. That seems to help a bit. I think I'll hit the drug store and get some antihistaimes (non-drowsy) myself this afternoon.