Disappointed in NCL - Won't bend policy for cancer victim

sdmike

Personally I would never book a cruise or any vacation for that matter without taking insurance cover.

I have met people who don't insure their property against fire and theft (amongst other perils) arguing that they are careful and nothing will happen to them. :rolleyes:

I know someone who refuses to install smoke detectors in his home stating that it would only help in the event of a fire, each to their own I guess. :confused:

If you don't take reasonable precautions, in this case paying a relatively small sum to protect your investment i.e. the cost of the cruise, you have to suffer the consequences however unfortunate the circumstances.

A bit missing in this discussion is what I consider the real lifeline provided by travel insurance, and it isn't replacing the relatively small cost of the cruise, but the medical and emergency transport insurance. It would stink missing out on the trip entirely and taking a hit on the cost of the cruise, but it is comforting to be covered should we be out to sea or in a foreign land and come down ill and need to be medically evacuated - not cheap at all and would make the cost of the cruise pale in comparison.

For me, that is a risk I will not take when traveling abroad - especially when considering how inexpensive the travel insurance is.

I was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago (am OK and in remission) and travel insurance for me now is through the roof, but I wouldn't travel without it and never did before.

It's unfortunate, but you never know what life is going to throw at you, and you really need that peace of mind. It could be your mother, brother..........or whatever.......you never know (better that way).

Maybe they could be more flexible but it's difficult to know where to draw the line.

Answer is?............insurance........that's what it's for.

His mother is a hamster and his father smells of elderberries! ;)

Ya know suffering is subjective.......where have I heard the phrase before... oh well anyway.......why don't we Tar & feather him as his punishment......and send him to Canada........haha

only instead of TAR we'll use MAPLE Syrup...hmmm what to use as feathers though... hmmm popcorn?...yumm that sounds good...?

Ya know suffering is subjective.......where have I heard the phrase before... oh well anyway.......why don't we Tar & feather him as his punishment......and send him to Canada........haha

only instead of TAR we'll use MAPLE Syrup...hmmm what to use as feathers though... hmmm popcorn?...yumm that sounds good...?

I don't recall seeing popcorn on our cruise to Canada but I did see lots of Moose Poop (the candy kind of course) :D.

You know, there was a mayor of Toronto about 100 years ago that tarred & feathered his opponent...

From TFA:

I wonder how many people call up every cruise line with all sorts of stories - some true, some not? Where does a cruise line (or any other business) draw the line. How would they verify these stories? Gramma died? Dog died? Lost my job? Wife left me? Arm fell off?

These articles and stories always describe how evil the corporation is, but never really suggest any sort of reasonable solution. This article turns out to be a little different than most though. It does point out an existing solution.

I don't mean to be callus and cold about these folks' particular set of circumstances, but do we really need another "thoughts and prayers are with them" post? How about some solutions?

Had to change some plans because of illness a couple months ago. Airline waive change fees with a letter from the Dr on his letterhead. Dr gladly provided same

Rebooked vacation is in 2 weeks :)

When I hang up from a cruiseline after booking a cruise, my next call is immediately to Travelguard to get insurance. Have (unfortunately) had to file claims 2x in 3 years. It is well worth the $180 or so we pay (for 4 adults) to have peace of mind.

Nothing is free.

Scenario 1: Couple cancels trip due to medical emergency after the refund period, and does not have travel insurance. Couple pays for trip anyway, and cruise line retains money.

Scenario 2: Couple cancels trip due to medical emergency after the refund period, but DOES have travel insurance. Insurance company reimburses the couple. Cruise line retains money.

Scenario 3: Couple cancels trip due to medical emergency after the refund period, and the cruise line refunds the couple to satisfy the sensitivities of the popular press. The cruise line does not absorb the cost, but passes it along to the other customers in higher fares, or reports lower earnings and short changes the investors (stockholders).

Someone, somewhere pays for the cruise. Either the couple, their insurance company, or the cruise line. It doesn't seem right to ask either the other passengers to pay, or the people who have saved and invested in NCL stock to pay.