Disappointed in NCL - Won't bend policy for cancer victim

sdmike

maybe but did rccl give Sandy people refund on their cruises? Think not?!Otherwise it would have been all over the news also

**cough cough **

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=9083767

Norwegian Cruise line never answered our numerous calls or emails, but 7 On Your Side has a surprising ending.

We reached out to Royal Caribbean. Their PR rep in Miami happened to be from Monmouth.

Royal Caribbean is sending all of them on a 7 night cruise to Bermuda and the Bahamas on their Explorer of the Seas!

I agree with you that this is a very complex situation with all kinds of room for precedent and abuse. It seems, however, that a doctor's note and a credit for future sailing would work better than an inflexible no refund policy. Again, where do you draw the line? I don't know.

I agree that they could have offered FCC however they are not obligated.

I was never a believer in trip insurance, thinking nothing would/could ever happen that would have our vacation cancelled, shortened, etc. until my husband had a medical emergency on board last year. Now I am thankful for the back up if needed.

I was more disappointed in NCL for this than anything else. They had an opportunity to "do the right thing" for a customer that was diagnosed with gall bladder cancer and needed emergency surgery just days before their cruise. NCL cited "policy" and didn't even offer a credit that could be used to sail once (if) the pax got better.

We know the ship staff are awesome, and I've been lead to believe that Kevin Sheehan is a down to earth nice guy, but sounds like the hit-and-miss corporate office struck out on this one...even after contacted by the author of the article. How did they NOT know this would end up in the LA Times with them having egg on their face?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-cruise-20131115,0,5836172.column?page=1

The same subject was posted and discussed a few days ago. I think we all understand, if for no other reason, it would have been good PR to allow a credit or something, but look at it from this side: if they had done it and the news spreads, why would anyone bother to buy insurance? These people were not new to cruising, they know anything can happen. If anything, I think the author, who admits they have never cruised needs to understand the couple had the opportunity to buy insurance and didn't. We buy insurance and I would be a little upset if I knew people were not buying it and yet were getting refunds or credits when something comes up at the last minute.

Edited by newmexicoNita

While I have empathy for the family, and for any other family going through illness or death, I can not blame NCL for sticking with their policy. It is called personal responsibility and I have a hard time with people who don't take personal responsibility for themselves, and try to make others responsible for their actions and their loses. We all have the option to purchase insurance. By not doing so, we personally assume the risk of something happening that would cause us to lose our investment. By doing so, the insurance company assumes the personal risk for us...it is why insurance exists.

I had a DGM pass away the day before a cruise. I had purchased cruise insurance so I was able to cancel with knowledge we would be reimbursed. I actually applaud the cruise line for enforcing their policy....we see too little of personal responsibility in today's world of personal entitlement. While it would be a "nice" thing for them to do and increase their positive PR, what about every one else who has to cancel for illness and deaths? I'm sure with the amount of people sailing it is a common thing to occur. I just don't understand how anyone would think they are entitled to something they were offered but refused to pay for....and that is exactly what would happen if NCL gave in to their wants. NCL would be insuring their loss of a cruise due to illness by giving them another cruise. Same thing as when the insurance company paid me my money I spent on a cruise we didn't go on due to the death of my DGM. We used the money to purchase another cruise.

Marry me? I think I love you :D

My parents missed THREE vacations due to my dad's cancer. Of course the stubborn old man did not have insurance on any of them. His response: "Just call [the lost vacation money] an idiot tax" :cool:

I also had to cut a vacation short ONE DAY into a 4 day trip to come home when we got the call that dad was down to hours. I didn't have insurance either, and that was an expensive flight home, but worth it to get to say goodbye :(

the bigger the company, the more robotic they become to the point where they won't deviate from any policy for any reason.

I doubt that had anything to do with this situation. The company was following the policy. You start making exceptions, where does it stop? This is the same whether the company has 50 employees or 5 million.

Mike,

I am a prostate cancer survivor and feel the pain for what happened here but I have very little sympathy for the passenger because they neglected to pay the small amount for a travel or cruise insurance policy. We paid $79 for our upcoming cruise and it is dam well worth it, one to protect my investment and two, for total peace of mind. If any cruise line starts bending the rules for one they open themselves up for countless law suits from anybody that they didn't bend the rules and it makes having cruise insurance meaningless. Our cruise on the Jewel is a group 14 prostate cancer survivors and their spouses and ever one of us bought the insurance.

I have cancer. I have been on 11 cruises. I buy insurance. I realize that when one uses the "C" word, it is like dropping a bomb. But, where does it end for the cruise lines? Sick children? Deaths in the family? Loss of jobs? Again, buy the insurance

Someone WITHOUT insurance basically wants everyone else to foot the bill for their short sightedness. Sound familiar?

I always take the trip insurance. I haven't had to use it, but if I ever need it just ONE time in my life it will have been worth having the plan. Anyone paying thousands of dollars for a vacation and forgoing the insurance is taking a foolish and unnecessary risk, in my opinion.

Nobody expects to get sick or get a cancer diagnosis so that is why the dont pay for the insurance. Its a gamble and while I sympathize, insurance is a necessary thing. Spending your hard earned money on a cruise and not being able to go is a tough situation but their focus should be on dealing with the health issues that face them. If I or someone in my family got a serious health diagnosis, my last worry would be my vacation but thats me. Sadly there will be folks who create a reason for their cancellation and there is no way to know for sure who is and who isnt. Policy is policy and for every cruise we have booked we have been asked about travel insurance. Tomorrow is not promised for any of us, we need to be prepared.

Perfectly said. My sentiments exactly.

While I have empathy for the family, and for any other family going through illness or death, I can not blame NCL for sticking with their policy. It is called personal responsibility and I have a hard time with people who don't take personal responsibility for themselves, and try to make others responsible for their actions and their loses. We all have the option to purchase insurance. By not doing so, we personally assume the risk of something happening that would cause us to lose our investment. By doing so, the insurance company assumes the personal risk for us...it is why insurance exists.

Nobody expects to get sick or get a cancer diagnosis so that is why the dont pay for the insurance. Its a gamble and while I sympathize, insurance is a necessary thing. Spending your hard earned money on a cruise and not being able to go is a tough situation but their focus should be on dealing with the health issues that face them. If I or someone in my family got a serious health diagnosis, my last worry would be my vacation but thats me. Sadly there will be folks who create a reason for their cancellation and there is no way to know for sure who is and who isnt. Policy is policy and for every cruise we have booked we have been asked about travel insurance. Tomorrow is not promised for any of us, we need to be prepared.

I do! We are a family of 7, and I always buy trip insurance, because I know there is always a chance someone will get sick, injured, or die, or the house will burn down, DH will lose his job, etc. (I'm more of a glass half empty gal ;)).

Honestly, I'm shocked we never had to use it! I figure we're on borrowed time, never having to cancel. I can't understand anyone gambling a vacation that costs thousands of dollars, especially one that is totally non-refundable after final payment.

Insurance / Definition / Pay a little now or a lot latter .

For some of you , check with your insurance carrier ( home , auto ect.) some offer travel insurance at a yearly premium .. cheap

Also while your at it check on a $1M homeowner liability umbrell , also very cheap.. ( slightly off topic)

OR wrap yourself in Bubble wrap and dont leave the house ...;)

Whats travel insurance ? Is that to garuntee that I get a vaction every year.

Sorry , just had Maple Bacon Beer with a side a side of bananas Foster and corned beef hash omlet . Blood sugar outa wack ..

mpk

It sure would be..LOL Leave the bananas alone.. that's your problem.. the rest is fine though...especially the Maple Bacon Beer. :p

Insurance / Definition / Pay a little now or a lot latter .

For some of you , check with your insurance carrier ( home , auto ect.) some offer travel insurance at a yearly premium .. cheap

Also while your at it check on a $1M homeowner liability umbrell , also very cheap.. ( slightly off topic)

OR wrap yourself in Bubble wrap and dont leave the house ...;)

Homeowners policies are not cheap but cheaper than a major loss. Tenants insurance is very inexpensive and umbrella/excess policy is not expensive either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have cancer. I have been on 11 cruises. I buy insurance. I realize that when one uses the "C" word, it is like dropping a bomb. But, where does it end for the cruise lines? Sick children? Deaths in the family? Loss of jobs? Again, buy the insurance

Exactly. I'm one year cancer-free and make darn sure to get the pre-existing condition insurance for my cruises now. No way I would have expected NCL or CCL to reimburse me if I didn't have insurance and I'd missed a cruise during the year of diagnosis/treatment.

Edited by samiam0403

Exactly. I'm one year cancer-free and make darn sure to get the pre-existing condition insurance for my cruises now. .

Sorry to hear of your DX........ I know it isn't easy.

Did you purchase insurance, at time of booking a cruise, prior to your DX thou?

Edited by jonbgd

Sorry to hear of your DX........ I know it isn't easy.

Did you purchase insurance, at time of booking a cruise, prior to your DX thou?

Luckily, I was 4 days away from heading to Afghanistan when the mess started, so I didn't have any cruises booked that year. I actually jumped on a 3-night cruise with about 2 weeks notice in Dec last year just so I didn't go a year with no cruises. :) But prior to that, I occasionally purchased insurance. Cheapie, short notice cruises - no. B2Bs or suites that were planned out - yes. Some of them I was happy to roll the dice with, others not so much. And I'll continue to do the exact same thing as long as I live within driving distance to a cruise port. :)

So far I have not bought insurance for my cruise next Sept. But I might, I think I can add it up to the time that Full Payment is due, June 2014. The reason I did not take it right away is because on reading it, there were a lot of limitations in regards to cancellation.

But when I bought my Australia vacation package for October 2010, through the same major online cruise/vacation outlet, that cancellation insurance was open-ended, it covered if we cancelled for ANY reason.

Does anyone know any third party company where one can purchase trip insurance that may not be as limiting?

Before I retired, I had a client who was also a very good friend. I could never convince her to take insurance. Then, she and hubby decided to take the entire family on a cruise for the 50th weeding anniversary. Because hubby was a recent cancer survivor and because the cruise was costing them about $20,000 they decided to take insurance. Thank God, not hubby, but my friend ended up with terminal cancer. They had to cancel the cruise about a month before sailing and got back every penny except for the cost of the insurance. I know, if she had lost all that money, it would have been just one more burden along with everything else the family faced.

Not only does cruise insurance cover pre cruise medical emergencies but they cover cruise medical emergencies too. A friend of ours had a heart attacked on a cruise and needed to be medically evacuated at a cost of over $20,000 and the cruise insurance covered every penny.