Scotch Drinkers: What liquor is available @ the bars?

Plantcrone

I'm taking my first cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 20th...sailing with family for a nice vacation.

I'm pretty picky (read very very particular) about what I drink..I prefer single malt scotch whisky. However there is no place I can find online that tells me what brands are available to me.

I wonder if it's limited to the few brands of mostly american bourbon and one 'Irish' that are offered on the 'drinks in your room' pre sail sale.

Since I drink my scotch neat, it makes a big difference to me. Mixed drinks give me a headache and at 70 I have a pretty educated palate for whisky.

Can someone give me a clue what the bars stock in the line of whisky? I'm very irritated that I can't just bring a bottle of my preferred liquor if I want a drink in my cabin.

Assuming I find something I like, is it worth tipping the bartender in advance to encourage healthy pours?

On the Maasdam you can purchase the following brands of Scotch:

J. Walker Black or Red Label

Dewars White

J & B Rare

Ballentines

Chevas Regal 12 Y.O.

I was think these brands would also be available at the bars. Not a Scotch drinker, so I do not know if these are good brands or not.

You won't have any problem finding them. There will be 6-8 different ones available. Can't speak to tipping, but don't forget you are paying 15% anyway. You can do a search on Cruise Critic such as " Holland America bar menus" and you can find recent menus for scotch offered. Don't think there are any single malts available through the website, but I would call room service once onboard to see if they can have a bottle delivered to your room. Good Luck!

Well, this is disappointing. HAL used to sell glenlivet in the indulgances package but it is no longer on the list. I know I have had glenlivet at the bar, so at least it should be available there. Can't vouch for them having any other single malts, however.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On the Maasdam you can purchase the following brands of Scotch:

J. Walker Black or Red Label

Dewars White

J & B Rare

Ballentines

Chevas Regal 12 Y.O.

I was think these brands would also be available at the bars. Not a Scotch drinker, so I do not know if these are good brands or not.

I realize that you're just trying to be helpful, but none of those are single malt scotches.

Well, this is disappointing. HAL used to sell glenlivet in the indulgances package but it is no longer on the list. I know I have had glenlivet at the bar, so at least it should be available there. Can't vouch for them having any other single malts, however.

Glenlivit is sort of the Budweiser of single malts. Most likely not something the OP is interested in.

On Eurodam last year I personally had Glenmorangie (not Lasanta though), Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and Macallan. I know they had others but since I didn't order I can't remember them all.

You won't be disappointed, but it definitely isn't a whiskey bar. Set your expectations accordingly.

Through this thread and you will find the single malt offerings. Hope this helps.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1528067

This was VERY helpful...thanks so much for posting it.

I got out my spyglass and focused on the scotch menu. WOW the prices are high..but I have to remember there is a 15% tip included. I will see if I can order a bottle of MacCallan since it's such a nice sipping whisky.

I was afraid Glenlivet was it for the single malts...

Edited by Plantcrone

This was VERY helpful...thanks so much for posting it.

I got out my spyglass and focused on the scotch menu. WOW the prices are high..but I have to remember there is a 15% tip included. I will see if I can order a bottle of MacCallan since it's such a nice sipping whisky.

I was afraid Glenlivet was it for the single malts...

If you are looking at a menu for drinks, that is for the drink -- the 15% is added on that. Considering what the prices are here where I live, even with the 15% the prices aren't unreasonable.

On Eurodam last year I personally had Glenmorangie (not Lasanta though), Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and Macallan. I know they had others but since I didn't order I can't remember them all.

You won't be disappointed, but it definitely isn't a whiskey bar. Set your expectations accordingly.

We noticed on our most recent HAL cruise (ended last week) that there were no Glenmorangie products (they make quite a few different single malts) on the scotch list. Like the wine list, it just seems like HAL could increase the selection with the goal of better pleasing patrons and perhaps selling more expensive booze. Because of the limited single malt selection we found ourselves mostly drinking Chivas....since the price is right. But which much rather be sipping Glenmorangie Astar or one of their other offerings.

Hank

hi

Make sure you go to happy hour. you get a extra shot for a dollar

Mary

Never miss it! But since its limited to $6.99 brands there are not many scotches and not one single malt. They only have things like JW Red, Dewars, and Chivas. It would be nice if they dropped the price of Glenfiddich down to $6.99 but it's not to be.

Hank

If you are looking at a menu for drinks, that is for the drink -- the 15% is added on that. Considering what the prices are here where I live, even with the 15% the prices aren't unreasonable.

So the listed $11.95 shot for Macallan has 15% added on to it?

Rechecking the menu, there is not a single malt in the happy hour $6.95 bracket. Even Glenlivit is $8.95.

The single malt prices are wacky-they sure arent based on quality when Glenlivit is the same as Laphroaig and plain regular Glenmorangie is only a buck more.

And heres another wacky price comparison-Patron Reposado-a very fine sipping Tequila is the same price as Macallan. I can only compare to local whisky bars and my local liquor store but I believe that the Tequila is pricier retail wise than Macallan.

I've not had Jamisons for many a year..for those of you who drink scotch-how does it compare? I may have to buy a bottle and give it a try to see how drinkable it is. It is in the happy hour price bracket.

Sometimes I wish I'd never learned about scotch but I had a great year long class testing drams of similar scotches and learning about the different grains, milling processes, aging styles and the importance of peat moss to a real Scotch scotch whisky.

Glad others are getting some good info out of the thread.

I'm taking my first cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 20th...sailing with family for a nice vacation.

I'm pretty picky (read very very particular) about what I drink..I prefer single malt scotch whisky. However there is no place I can find online that tells me what brands are available to me.

I wonder if it's limited to the few brands of mostly american bourbon and one 'Irish' that are offered on the 'drinks in your room' pre sail sale.

Since I drink my scotch neat, it makes a big difference to me. Mixed drinks give me a headache and at 70 I have a pretty educated palate for whisky.

Can someone give me a clue what the bars stock in the line of whisky? I'm very irritated that I can't just bring a bottle of my preferred liquor if I want a drink in my cabin.

Assuming I find something I like, is it worth tipping the bartender in advance to encourage healthy pours?

Don't know if it's the same ship to ship, but here's a couple of pages from the bar menu on the Veendam showing the selection

34igvfd.jpg

Don't know if it's the same ship to ship, but here's a couple of pages from the bar menu on the Veendam showing the selection

It was very nice of you to snap that pic for me..your ship had a greater selection than the last menu I saw..so lets hope the Nieuw Amsterdam has as good a selection.

I seriously considered buying the $300+ drinks package..first because daughter says regular ships coffee is bad bad bad-thus I could use it for coffee inn the AM and drinks in the pm..then I read the package was limited to lower price drinks.

Have any of you scotch drinkers done the pay ahead drinks package? Is it worth it?

The other option is just buying $200.00 in spendable vouchers or whatever they have where you pay ahead..again my daughter says she never carries a purse on the ship and it's a pain having to haul around cash.

Do the drinks cards of whatever come loaded on some sort of debit like card?

The HAL drink package only includes drinks that sell for under $7. This means that there are no single malt scotches you can get with the drink packages. The Scotches that sell for $6.99 would be things like JW Red, Chivas Regal, Dewars, Cutty Sark, etc.

Hank

The HAL drink package only includes drinks that sell for under $7. This means that there are no single malt scotches you can get with the drink packages. The Scotches that sell for $6.99 would be things like JW Red, Chivas Regal, Dewars, Cutty Sark, etc.

Hank

Has anyone paid the difference in cash or on your prepay amount or whatever it's called? Maybe I'll just buy the flat rate $200.00 card that doesn't have a limit on it.

So many decisions..but thanks Hank for all your help

elle