Gift for crew member

Sherri1

We want to take a gift to one of the crew members we know that is not trinkets and widgets she wont use and doesn't have room for. Thought something useful she would appreciate would be pretty sheets or a small throw or pillow sham. Would she be allowed to have those ? Standard single sheets ??

I would not take a chance. Their space is minute. They may be required to use the bedding provided. She likely has a bunk with a few "cubbies" for her belongings. The best appreciation you can show us with a tip and filling in a "You Made a Difference" card. Promotions are based on these. So many people here with the best of intentions just want to give one small gift....but if we all did that crew would be tossing stuff overboard.

We want to take a gift to one of the crew members we know that is not trinkets and widgets she wont use and doesn't have room for. Thought something useful she would appreciate would be pretty sheets or a small throw or pillow sham. Would she be allowed to have those ? Standard single sheets ??

What a thoughtful gesture on your part! A nice small, soft, lightweight throw that she could use in her room (as well as on a plane when she gets to go home for leave) would probably be very useful.

Plus she would have a wonderful personal remembrance of her special friendship with you.

I am certain that the crew always appreciates something a little green!

Due to limited space, Skype, unknown personal preferences, I have given up giving trinkets, phone cards and candy. Now I just give a gift that allows them to use it at their own discretion.

:)

She is someone we think a lot of. I know cash is always nice and we certainly do that without hesitation in the right circumstances. However,

cash would almost be an insult, just a little too 'non personal' in this case.

I won't take her misc 'stuff.' Thats just a waste. I like your thought SaltyDawg for the throw on the airplane home. Maybe I will crochet a smaller size afghan she could keep on her bed and also use for travel home.

I still would like to find out from somebody that might know if she

can have sheets that aren't ship issued and what size . Thanks !

Giving someone sheets just sounds too creepily personal to me.

If I were there doing a job, I'd be more insulted not to be tipped extra and handsomely by my closest customers. You're conflating a service relationship with friendship. My mother was tight with our housekeeper of decades, but she showed her high regard for Mrs. C with money, not by purchasing home goods for her.

Giving someone sheets just sounds too creepily personal to me.

If I were there doing a job, I'd be more insulted not to be tipped extra and handsomely by my closest customers. You're conflating a service relationship with friendship. My mother was tight with our housekeeper of decades, but she showed her high regard for Mrs. C with money, not by purchasing home goods for her.

I bet if you polled the staff they would choose cash anyday.

I agree that personal sheet sets might be hard to send to the laundry for cleaning. I personally have a soft fleecy throw that I travel with. It's lightweight, easy to travel with and is nice to wrap around my shoulders or throw over my legs. I think the throw is thoughtful.

Phone cards are always appreciated.. We have used these for gifts. Just make sure they work internationally.

Actually phone cards are not appreciated. First, they can buy them on board cheaper then you can buy them. Second, they must be specific for and from an area. A card bought in the US generally cannot be used somewhere else. Also, most crew now use a program like Skype to call home. Give them cash and they can buy the phone card that works for them or use it for their needs. Times have changed.

I believe that the crew have single double-decker 3 ft wide beds. Their sheets and towels are supplied by Princess and go to the laundry just as the passengers' linen does. A crew member probably could have their own sheets, but why? They would have to wash them themselves every week and at the end of their contract, somehow fit them into their luggage to take home - or throw them out. The crew usually fit all of their possessions into one suitcase. The same space problem applies to a throw or pillow sham.

Even though cash might seem impersonal to you, I am sure it would be appreciated. :)

This subject comes up from time to time, by very well intentioned, kind people. My answer is always the same, The very best gifts you can give a crew member are pictures of DEAD PRESIDENTS! Unless you have visited their quarters, know their family personnaly, practice their religion, and have worked their position yourself, do not give gifts, trinkets, clothing, candy, items from your home state, etc, etc. THEY ARE THERE TO WORK FOR MONEY, not gifts. The ocean floor in every harbor that curise lines visit is littered with well meaning gifts from passengers given to crew members, who have no use for or room to store them.

Of course well trained staff will smile and accept any gift you give them, and may even say how much they appreciate it. That is what all nice people do when they receive a gift. But unless you live in their space, or know them outside of work, GIVE CASH! They know best what they want and need, and you are providing the means to purchase it.

Fair winds

Dave

I understand the space limitations and why giving things as gifts isn't recommended. I also understand the desire to give something that "feels" a little more personal than cash. If the cruise is in North America, what about a Walmart gift card so they can get whatever they want? A lot of the crew head to Walmart when they get a couple of hours off in port. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

With so many of the crew using Skype and similar, a phone card is of less use.

I agree. They also have international cell phones. The phone booths that used to be in port when you get off the ship have dropped quite a bit. I remember when you would get off a ship and see 20 phone booths. Now you see one or two.

I saw this idea on CC last year and had several happy smiles.

I put the (extra tip) cash in a small red stocking. There were several comments that the stocking would be put on their room mirror. Not sure that actually happened, but know the cash was appreciated. Obviously, once they've received 100 little stockings, they'd have too many!

A holiday card could also liven up the cabin a bit over the holiday season.

Everyone is correct that space in their room is tight; frequently if not on duty (according to what I've been told) the staff is napping between shifts. They do have staff areas, but the one or two I've seen on back-stage tours, were almost always empty of staff members.

In that the staff have to pay for their Internet time - cash allows them the luxury of spending extra time with their families while at sea or at port.

Hi There

We have given gifts to crew that we knew well, but these have been small,

for an officer we once tracked down an old ships cap badge from a ship he served on many years before and had that made as a pin, for a waitress we knew well small earings from Scotland.

yours Shogun