Sun and Port of Miami last week.

roger001

Here's a quick review of our Sun cruise Miami experience ending Nov. 20.

The Port of Miami was apparently setting a record for cruise ships in port on Sunday, the 10th, when we departed. I counted 8 cruise ships docked. Needless to say...busy!

We got to the port much later than usual because we shuttled down from Ft. Lauderdale, arriving about 1 PM, middle of the biggest crowds. All the ships had crowds lined up out the terminals and snaking all around, the guests waiting to process in. The Sun was no different. However, much to my surprise, and to the credit of POM employees, security folks, and NCL employees, it actually moved extremely well, considering the size of the crowd. From the time we arrived at the port until on the ship was probably not more than 1 hr, 15 min. It seems that all shuttles and buses arrive at the same time. With that many people, it went surprisingly well. The Sun was using an RCCL terminal. Once past security and in the processing area, there was an expediter feeding us into two processing lines, whichever one was shorter at the moment. All the processing clerk stations were open and working as quick as they could.

Debarkation on Wednesday was totally painless. We had breakfast and when the colored tags were called, we headed off the ship (about 9:15). We were off, luggage claimed, and through customs, and on the street in probably no more than 20 minutes.

With that many people to handle in such a short time, both arriving and departing, good job POM and NCL.

How did you know where to find your ship, it being in another line's berth?

We sail out of Miami in just over two weeks (on the N.Star) and plan to make our way there in a taxi -- how to tell the driver where to drop us for minimal baggage hauling???

First, you'll easily see your ship as you drive into the port area loop. All the ships stand out at their respective docking area. ( the docking terminals aren't really identified on the outside with an exclusive cruise line logo). But, second, just tell the taxi, shuttle driver, or whatever, which ship you're sailing on, and they all are very familiar with the POM area. They will drop you off right at the point where your ship is receiving checked luggage and passengers. POM porters will be readily available to take your luggage. If possible, have your checked luggage already tagged with the ship's luggage tag. If you don't have one, the porter can tag it for you. Give the porter five bucks and he/she will be a happy camper. The porter can also at that time point you towards the line or door that is processing your ship.

Oh...I might add reference my first post... My wife has really bad knees and cannot stand for long periods of time. However, she was able to sit, both at the long, long line snaking outside of the terminal, and again in the terminal while waiting to process, at a point up at the front of both lines. She then just waited for me to move along with the lines until finally reaching a point near the front where she then joined me. Wasn't a problem at all for her.

Edited by roger001

We sail out of Miami in just over two weeks (on the N.Star) and plan to make our way there in a taxi -- how to tell the driver where to drop us for minimal baggage hauling???

When a car arrives to the port, there are led signs telling which ship is in which terminal and show which way to each terminal - and as already said, it's a loop so if one misses the correct turn, they can easily take the next one and drive a bit back. Easy peasy, cab drivers are very well acquainted with the procedure, also the porters are there immediately where the driver will drop you off (there will probably also be a person showing on where the driver should stop).

Glad things went well in Miami. How was the cruise, ship, ports, entertainment....got pictures:D

The Sun was just great. This was our third time on her. She is one of the smaller ships and does have a very different interior design though. After this third cruise on her, I'm about to figure out where everything is located. The crew were the usual wonderful folks that we've found on every NCL ship. We ate in two specialty restaurants, the MDR several times, and of course the buffet and all the grills. The Sun's buffet is small which does limit the volume of selections available there. However, all that they served was just fine for me. Enjoyed it very much. Of course the NCL breads and pastries were their usual delicious selves. In addition to the mentioned eating locations, you also have Modernos for pasta during the lunch hour and breakfast before that. The Great Outdoors is open through much of the day and evening with various selections. We had grilling out on the pool deck I believe on each sea day. Then of course the Sports Bar is available for food after 5:30 pm. One of the locations had tapas type food during some hours of the day. I didn't try that. The Sports Bar also has popcorn available.

Ports were nice. In St. Thomas, we docked at the west dock. Not much around there walking distance. However, a $4 pp taxi will take you to either downtown (which we did) or around to the other docking area which has a big area of shops. We were docked there last time. There were quite a few cruise ships in port including the Epic. We had toured St. Thomas before so this time just shopped and drank some beer in the "old town" downtown area.

The other four ports were new to us. My wife has bad knees which limits her activity. So we just took the standard bus type tours. We enjoyed each very much. They gave us a good look at the islands coasts and interiors. Excellent tour guides and very nice local population.

We didn't not go to any of the shows on the ship. We did hear some of the individual musicians playing at various location. I thought they were good. We did go to both Latitudes events and had a few free drinks. The Capt. was a funny guy.

Pics? Yep...got the usual 800 or so. Isn't digital wonderful. Sometime I'l try to post a few.

Oh..last thought on the Sun. We were in one of her few mini suites. The room and balcony are very similar to the other NCL ships' minis. However, the bathroom area...wow!!! We're spoiled now. You walk into that area first entering the open closet area to your left and big row of drawers and cabinets ahead. Then to the right is a separate sink area with numerous cabinets and storage. Turn around from the sink and there is a dressing table and chair. Then you enter the tub (full size) and toilet area. That is bigger than mine at home. It has its own frosted door that closes it off. All super nice.

This was a ten day cruise. I liked that very much. Seven days seem too quick. We've done a couple of 14 day cruises also and are really liking the longer ones now.

You can't go wrong with the Sun!!!

Consider a scooter next time you sail they make all the difference you can imagine and more. Special Needs at Sea is the people NCL uses and they deliver the scooter to your room and take it away at the end of the cruise. A scooters is wonderful, it increases where you can go and what you can do a 100 fold.

Consider a scooter next time you sail they make all the difference you can imagine and more. Special Needs at Sea is the people NCL uses and they deliver the scooter to your room and take it away at the end of the cruise. A scooters is wonderful, it increases where you can go and what you can do a 100 fold.

Thanks. I did see numerous scooters on board this time. My wife is scheduled for knee replacement in a few months, so hopefully that will make a big difference for her. This cruise did have a Wounded Warriors group of guys and gals on board. Some were using scooters, but many in wheelchairs.

The Sun was just great. This was our third time on her. She is one of the smaller ships and does have a very different interior design though. After this third cruise on her, I'm about to figure out where everything is located. The crew were the usual wonderful folks that we've found on every NCL ship. We ate in two specialty restaurants, the MDR several times, and of course the buffet and all the grills. The Sun's buffet is small which does limit the volume of selections available there. However, all that they served was just fine for me. Enjoyed it very much. Of course the NCL breads and pastries were their usual delicious selves. In addition to the mentioned eating locations, you also have Modernos for pasta during the lunch hour and breakfast before that. The Great Outdoors is open through much of the day and evening with various selections. We had grilling out on the pool deck I believe on each sea day. Then of course the Sports Bar is available for food after 5:30 pm. One of the locations had tapas type food during some hours of the day. I didn't try that. The Sports Bar also has popcorn available.

Ports were nice. In St. Thomas, we docked at the west dock. Not much around there walking distance. However, a $4 pp taxi will take you to either downtown (which we did) or around to the other docking area which has a big area of shops. We were docked there last time. There were quite a few cruise ships in port including the Epic. We had toured St. Thomas before so this time just shopped and drank some beer in the "old town" downtown area.

The other four ports were new to us. My wife has bad knees which limits her activity. So we just took the standard bus type tours. We enjoyed each very much. They gave us a good look at the islands coasts and interiors. Excellent tour guides and very nice local population.

We didn't not go to any of the shows on the ship. We did hear some of the individual musicians playing at various location. I thought they were good. We did go to both Latitudes events and had a few free drinks. The Capt. was a funny guy.

Pics? Yep...got the usual 800 or so. Isn't digital wonderful. Sometime I'l try to post a few.

Oh..last thought on the Sun. We were in one of her few mini suites. The room and balcony are very similar to the other NCL ships' minis. However, the bathroom area...wow!!! We're spoiled now. You walk into that area first entering the open closet area to your left and big row of drawers and cabinets ahead. Then to the right is a separate sink area with numerous cabinets and storage. Turn around from the sink and there is a dressing table and chair. Then you enter the tub (full size) and toilet area. That is bigger than mine at home. It has its own frosted door that closes it off. All super nice.

This was a ten day cruise. I liked that very much. Seven days seem too quick. We've done a couple of 14 day cruises also and are really liking the longer ones now.

You can't go wrong with the Sun!!!

Thanks, sounds wonderful. So looking forward my trip in Jan. This will my second time on the Sun.:)

Thanks. I did see numerous scooters on board this time. My wife is scheduled for knee replacement in a few months, so hopefully that will make a big difference for her. This cruise did have a Wounded Warriors group of guys and gals on board. Some were using scooters, but many in wheelchairs.

Good luck with the knee replacement. Hope all goes well.

just tell them the ship, they do this all the time and will be able to drop you off at the right berth.