Celebrity captains club???

riandei

My TA is going to call Azamara tomorrow to find out why my reservation is locked and I can't book excursions. I did get my invoice and TA says the reservation is confirmed and good so my excellent price of $1,899 per person for deck 4 category 5 ocean view is valid.:D

The Azamara website is undergoing improvements [hopefully!] and the Manage My Reservation function--the typical means for booking tours--hasn't been operational in the US for a month or so now...

One can, however, view and book excursions via the Online Check-In screens that can be accessed via My Azamara... You need not complete check-in to do so and the functionality is essentially identical--you just access it differently--to what you're accustomed to with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity...

Of course, it is also possible that you cannot yet access your booking online if your reservation is extremely new and/or you have purchased your cruise from a block of staterooms in control of your Travel Agent and he/she has not yet notified Azamara...

Suggest you first give the Online Check-In route a try...

The Azamara website is undergoing improvements [hopefully!] and the Manage My Reservation function--the typical means for booking tours--hasn't been operational in the US for a month or so now...

One can, however, view and book excursions via the Online Check-In screens that can be accessed via My Azamara... You need not complete check-in to do so and the functionality is essentially identical--you just access it differently--to what you're accustomed to with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity...

Of course, it is also possible that you cannot yet access your booking online if your reservation is extremely new and/or you have purchased your cruise from a block of staterooms in control of your Travel Agent and he/she has not yet notified Azamara...

Suggest you first give the Online Check-In route a try...

I did try on-line check-in while I was talking to the TA. He suggested I go there, but the reservation was not working. Reservation was made Friday, so it is very new. I do know that when a TA has a block, the reservation does not go through for a few days or even a week, but he confirmed that the reservation was valid and there should be no reason why I could not get in. He suggested I use the links on the invoice he sent me instead of going through on my own. Still didn't work.

Thanks for telling me that they are having problems with their site. That could be the problem.

Hello Azamara Cruise Followers -

Before you make any more inferences about the outcome of the Le Club Voyage past guest loyalty program in light of the modifications to Celebrity's Captain Club program, please allow me to the time to determine if the program will be modified.

Please stay tuned!

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I guess you haven't noticed that Azamara has been devaluing the experience bit by bit and is doing nothing to keep up with its competition.

I know, I know -- warm and fuzzy on board experience. Yes.

I'm a realist. I just look at the facts and make determinations. You must be looking at a different set of facts. I think things are pretty gloomy. I have 3 Azamara cruises booked and I am worried about the vitality of the line and its ability to survive.

I'd like to see some GOOD news for a change -- something factual that leads me to believe that the cruises I booked in late 2015 will actually take place.

Oceania is refurbishing its ships, getting new itineraries, having World Cruises.

Regent is refurbishing its ships and getting a new build.

Other cruise lines are making similar improvements

Azamara is charging more, doing away with the harpists, booking endless charters (often to nudists), changing the excursion program, selling verandas at inside prices to fill fill ships yada yada Warm and fuzzy without more is not going to keep them afloat.

Bill Leiber's silence with respect to these many posts speaks volumes IMO.

I have just got of Journey this morning, IMHO your post could not be further from the truth. Nowhere was the experience devalued in ANY way. Next sailing full on our trip a large number of guests particularly first time cruisers bought future cruise certs. This was a sailing where pricing was pretty constant no "fire sale".

Many guests commented they would be introducing friends to the brand. We spoke to many guests and no one had issue with the look of the ship or the size of the showers. The onboard view was these are insignificant when compared with the attitude of the crew and the exceptional service standards.

I am sorry that you like to scaremonger from time to time. I have no idea why, but I think you are being very very unfair to a great brand and it's very loyal and hardworking staff

And furthermore, the worries about Azamara not spending money to upgrade the ships are unfounded; a quick Google reveals that Azamara are installing a 'state of the art" stripper's pole for the early 2015 'swingers cruise".

Admittedly I haven't a clue what makes a stripper's pole state of the art but presumably it ranks as an upgrade to the present facilities...

I have just got of Journey this morning, IMHO your post could not be further from the truth. Nowhere was the experience devalued in ANY way. Next sailing full on our trip a large number of guests particularly first time cruisers bought future cruise certs. This was a sailing where pricing was pretty constant no "fire sale".

Many guests commented they would be introducing friends to the brand. We spoke to many guests and no one had issue with the look of the ship or the size of the showers. The onboard view was these are insignificant when compared with the attitude of the crew and the exceptional service standards.

I am sorry that you like to scaremonger from time to time. I have no idea why, but I think you are being very very unfair to a great brand and it's very loyal and hardworking staff

I was talking to a friend at the weekend and we are trying to book an Azamara trip together next year. I'd say she was pretty discerning having done Silverseas a few times and she loves Azamara. No complaints about the ship condition. I also have two other friends who Helen and I introduced to Azamara a year or two ago. They've now done two Az cruises and are booked on another to the Caribbean early next year. They too are planning to come with us later in 2014.

Glad you enjoyed Journey!

Phil

And the large 2015 cruise charter of Quest relates to the Anzac Galipoli commemoration which is being linked to other European destinations to give a grand European cruise sound business sense it will grow their Australian market. People will join this cruise because of the opportunity to be at Galipoli they will then discover why they should cruise with Azamara

I know much about swingers etc was in jest but to the poster who was alleging the charters were to groups of a certain type - I am sure you did not mean to offend the descendants of brave veterans

Just spoken to Celebrity re Captains Club [on another matter].

I was told that Azamara Le Club Voyage & Celebrity Captains Club will stay linked. The points system on Azamara will change to that being introduced on Celebrity. Le Club Voyage will have two further grades, Discoverer Plus and Discoverer Platinum - point levels same as Celebrity Elite Plus and Zenith.

Much discussion on Cruise Critic Celebrity forum.

Edited by berkshireboy

Just spoken to Celebrity re Captains Club [on another matter].

I was told that Azamara Le Club Voyage & Celebrity Captains Club will stay linked. The points system on Azamara will change to that being introduced on Celebrity. Le Club Voyage will have two further grades, Discoverer Plus and Discoverer Platinum - point levels same as Celebrity Elite Plus and Zenith.

Much discussion on Cruise Critic Celebrity forum.

Thanks for that info. Will wait and see what transpires.

Phil

I am new to Azmara and I must say it is very concerning when people chatter about a line having financial problems without knowledge. It does not encourage people to book and therefore is self fulfilling.

I am a long time celebrity couple and loved an itinerary for 2015 but you are making me hesitate as I go to put my deposit down.

Spoke with head office at celebrity (had to fix something on my account site) she said they are definitely keeping the link between Azmara club points and celebrity captains club, but you can see the the points counting has already changed. I asked if the perks were being taken from regular Elite and she said NO just more added at Elite Plus or higher. Hope this helps.

I am new to Azmara and I must say it is very concerning when people chatter about a line having financial problems without knowledge. It does not encourage people to book and therefore is self fulfilling.

I am a long time celebrity couple and loved an itinerary for 2015 but you are making me hesitate as I go to put my deposit down.

Spoke with head office at celebrity (had to fix something on my account site) she said they are definitely keeping the link between Azmara club points and celebrity captains club, but you can see the the points counting has already changed. I asked if the perks were being taken from regular Elite and she said NO just more added at Elite Plus or higher. Hope this helps.

1. You don't have to believe me. I am one voice and only one voice on these boards. Ignore me -- at least one other poster announced I was in his "ignore" pile. But interesting that you assume I am "without knowledge." Granted, I have not had a conversation with the folks at Azamara (as if they would tell anyone they would tell anyone they are having problems) but I have had conversations with folks in the cruise industry and who know the industry well and, unlike some others, I am not blind to what is going on. Even if I had not spoken to anyone in the cruise industry, the facts that are visible to all cause me concern about the line's ability to continue.

NOTE: I have a deposit down for a B2B December 2015 so I am booking. But I do know I can get my money back if there is a problem down the line.

2. Ask your travel agent -- if your TA feels comfortable, so should you. AND definitely use a TA who can advocate for you if there is problem.

3. Put your deposit on a credit card -- AMEX preferably.

Thanks for posting your conversation with Celebrity. I had already paid in full for my cruise (less than 90 days) and was beginning to get a little concerned by some of the negative posts, too.

I did speak to Azamara and we are Discovery with their loyalty club as we are Elite on Celebrity. Good to know that I'll be getting those lovely internet minutes.

Trend, I really hope you do continue to book with Azamara and not worry about pure speculation. I am referring to Laraine's post above when I have to say that I feel it is very irresponsible and potentially very damaging to speculate on Azamara's future viability with absolutely no real knowledge of the company's financial position. To say that Travel Agents are discouraging clients to book Azamara too far out, or on a credit card ....presumably for insurance in case the company fails, is a very dangerous statement IMHO and I would like to see hard evidence of that, because my Travel Agent is certainly not doing this and she is very reputable. There is such a thing as a self perpetuating prophecy and if future Azamara cruisers take notice of that statement then tragically, it may well come true.

I really enjoy the onboard experience but I am certainly not an "utter devotee" and I'm not blind to the problems that Azamara face as a boutique style brand within a large standard cruiseline. They have managed to form a large, loyal and repeat cruise demographic in just a few years and yet we were told by the CD that about 40% of the cruisers on my October 2013 cruise were first timers with AZ .....so there don't appear to be many problems there either. Also this cruise was fully booked and not discounted. I have another Quest cruise booked in June 2014 and probably will book yet another one as a late deal, if there are any to be had that is.

I am NOT an Azamara cheerleader and the website issues and recent shoreside appalling service to me personally have caused me the utmost frustration BUT I continue to say that the onboard experience beats everyone else hands down. And that's why I will book most of my future cruises with Azamara, much as I enjoy Silversea, Celebrity, Cunard and Oceania too. Despite what another poster may indicate, I do not see Azamara as a failing brand and as long as the cruise experience continues to be so wonderful then I will have no hesitation in booking more cruises with them.

Trend, if you are Elite with Celebrity then you will be at the top Discoverer tier with AZ offering you a lot of free Internet minutes, free Laundry and special cocktail parties. I like Celebrity too, but Azamara is a totally different experience and I really hope you are able to find that out for yourself soon. :)

Pacheo18 I always use our Amex and have booked with a top cruise consultant for 25 years. She informed me that the cruise we were looking at is listed as 50% sold out. Now as she explained it could be a group of agents holding.

Waiting to hear from her today.

Yes my husband is a business man and word of mouth can kill.

Had cold facts take time to come out but damage is done along the way.

Thanks for all the info and I do believe we will book in the next couple of days.

Edited by Trend
Misspelling

Press release now issued

Celebrity Cruises Launches New 'Captain's Club' ProgramEnhanced loyalty program features two new tiers, with greater recognition and rewards MIAMI, Nov. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Celebrity Cruises is excited to announce improvements to its Captain's Club loyalty program.

Guest feedback helped define the new program features, which include two new, additional levels of status and rewards beyond the existing "Elite" level, which is the highest level of membership in the brand's current four-tiered program.

Effective on sailings commencing after November 25, 2013, the new Captain's Club will offer a six-tier program. The Club's current levels of "Preview," "Classic," "Select" and "Elite" will remain, with two new tiers -- "Elite Plus" and "Zenith" -- each with their own unique set of benefits and privileges.

Members who achieve the new Elite Plus status will receive an even higher level of recognition and broader benefits, including additional beverage and specialty dining discounts, complimentary 200-minute Internet packages, complimentary cappuccinos, lattes and more.

Members who achieve Zenith status will receive benefits and perks befitting this ultimate level of membership, such as access to Michael's Club Lounge (available fleetwide in 2014), a complimentary premium alcoholic beverage package, complimentary laundry, a 1,600-minute Internet package, and other benefits.

Celebrity's guests now can accelerate their progression through the loyalty tiers with a new Club Points system which recognizes the stateroom category as well as the days spent onboard. Members' previous cruise credits will be automatically converted into Club Points, and members will retain all of the benefits they earned in the program to-date – with no expiration. In many cases, guests may automatically become charter members of Celebrity's new Elite Plus or Zenith tier. It is important to note that no current members will lose any of the benefits they have come to expect and enjoy today. Full program details are available at www.celebritycruises.com/captainsclub.

Another new enhancement is the ability to quickly access special pricing exclusively for Captain's Club members through the Captain's Club portal on the Celebrity Cruises website, www.celebritycruises.com. By simply entering their name and Captain's Club member number on the site, they can instantly see available loyalty pricing.

"At a time when many loyalty programs are cutting back on benefits or making it more difficult to redeem rewards, we're thrilled to do just the opposite," said Celebrity's Director of Loyalty Lee Moreau. "Guest loyalty is the cornerstone to any successful business, and that's why, at Celebrity Cruises, we make our guests the center of our attention. We hope this reinvigorated program will even more vividly show our guests how much we appreciate their loyalty, and allow us to welcome them back onboard even more frequently."

Equivalent recognition is one of the benefits of being a Captain's Club, Crown & Anchor Society and/or Le Club Voyage loyalty member. It offers loyalty members the opportunity to receive recognition and similar benefits with matching tier status–both pre-cruise and onboard–when sailing with one of the three brands. Members of one loyalty program must enroll in a sister program in order to receive equivalent recognition benefits.

Points on Celebrity and Azamara are earned cumulatively in both loyalty programs. For example, 20 Club Points earned on a Celebrity sailing will be reflected as 20 points in both Celebrity's and Azamara's loyalty programs. The total Club Points for the member will reflect all qualified points earned.

Points earned on Royal Caribbean are earned only for the Royal Caribbean loyalty program. Points of each loyalty program cannot be added together. Points are calculated using the applicable brand's program level accrual system.

The following program levels are equivalent for loyalty program recognition purposes:

Celebrity's Captain's Club.....Azamara LeClub Voyage.....Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Society

Preview...............................Preview

Classic................................Adventurer

Select.................................Explorer... ..........................Platinum

Elite....................................Discoverer.........................Diamond

Elite Plus..............................Discoverer Plus

Zenith..................................Discoverer Platinum

Just had a detailed email from Celebrity informing me of the new Captains Club Programme. Will be interesting to see if Azamara send an email. We have sailed once with Celebrity and get numerous emails from them and nothing from Azamara whom we have sailed with 6 times.

Just got a detailed booklet with our level and what is offered at the new levels what is a point and how you earn them all from Celebrity. It did state that the relationship between Azmara Club and Celebrity captain club stays. But you can not combine points earned on each.

I learned that we plan to announce a new structure to our Le Club Voyage past guest loyalty program in mid-December. Our new program will use a point-based system which will be accumulated by day based on stateroom/suite category.

We are still finalizing the actual benefits and it's too soon for me to share program details as they are in final review. With respect to the reciprocity program with Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club and Royal Caribbean International's Crown & Anchor loyalty club, at this time I am unable to respond to your questions about this topic. I should be able to do so, sometime in early December.

I can share the point structure methodology: points are earned per day based on stateroom/suite category:

§ Club Interior & Club Oceanview - 2 Points per Day

§ Club Veranda - 3 Points per Day

§ Club Continent Suites - 8 Points per Day

§ Club Ocean and Club World Owner Suites - 18 Points per Day

There will be new Membership Levels based on the number of accumulated Points. For the sake of good order, I have not included those Point ranges until the final program has completed its review process:

1. Adventurer (after 1st voyage)

2. Explorer

3. Discoverer

4. Discoverer Plus

5. Discoverer Platinum

I expect to be able to share more detailed and final information with you in early December. Further, we plan to communicate the new program modifications to our past guests in mid-December.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I guess you haven't noticed that Azamara has been devaluing the experience bit by bit and is doing nothing to keep up with its competition.

I know, I know -- warm and fuzzy on board experience. Yes.

I'm a realist. I just look at the facts and make determinations. You must be looking at a different set of facts. I think things are pretty gloomy. I have 3 Azamara cruises booked and I am worried about the vitality of the line and its ability to survive.

I'd like to see some GOOD news for a change -- something factual that leads me to believe that the cruises I booked in late 2015 will actually take place.

Oceania is refurbishing its ships, getting new itineraries, having World Cruises.

Regent is refurbishing its ships and getting a new build.

Other cruise lines are making similar improvements

Azamara is charging more, doing away with the harpists, booking endless charters (often to nudists), changing the excursion program, selling verandas at inside prices to fill fill ships yada yada Warm and fuzzy without more is not going to keep them afloat.

Bill Leiber's silence with respect to these many posts speaks volumes IMO.

Hello Pacheco18 -

It's Bill here and I want to level with you just as you level with us. When I read your media-hype comments ...

§ "This will be just one more nail in Azamara's coffin IMO," and,

§ "Is there never going to be any good news about this cruise line?"

... It's my opinion that you've made up your mind that our strategic direction is fatally flawed and the fact that we are a separate brand of a publically traded entity - Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. - is of no value when considering our future viability. Like you, I'm a realist and concluded regardless of what I might offer in support of our strategies, you would perceive them as marketing spin and more yada, yada, yada.

Laraine, I'm pleased that you enjoyed your recent Azamara Cruise experiences and appreciate that you have three future voyages booked with us. Regardless of how our marketing strategies are packaged and executed, I believe that you have the confidence that you will be served an exceptional onboard experience by our extraordinary staff that performs at consistently high levels. It is within this context, that I will reiterate our operating rationale and our marketing approach to you. Some of the content will be familiar because I've shared them in other responses.

I respect your right to express your personal opinions about our operation which you seem to benchmark with Oceania Cruise Lines and Regent Seven Sea Cruises, whose parent company is Prestige Cruise Holdings. There is more than one way to do things. While we clearly follow what other cruise lines are doing, we don’t necessarily make changes to our product our operating procedures because of what they do.

You state that "I am worried about the vitality of the line and its ability to survive." I think when you read my responses, you'll determine that our strategy and tactical programs are designed to grow our customer base (the "vitality of the line") and our fleet ("its ability to survive"). Our action plan might not be as you see it but Larry Pimentel is calling the shots - not someone from another cruise line.

Remember that both the Azamara Quest and Azamara Journey have been refurbished in late 2012 and early 2013 after drydock. Ship wide renovations included new carpets, upholstery, and a new color palette in public spaces reflecting the cruise line’s inviting atmosphere; new mattresses and upgraded veranda furniture for suites and staterooms; and a resurfaced pool, and new sun loungers and pool towels on the outer decks. The Casino Bar also was expanded and enhanced with new furniture, while the Spa and fitness center was refreshed with a new steam room, showers, and state-of-the-art Life Fitness cardio equipment. Furthermore, a range of enhancements were made behind the scenes in the staff and crew areas to add to the comfort of the cruise line’s most valuable asset -its staff and crew!

Our focus is not on creating a world cruise for a two-ship fleet but to achieve the budgeted financial results and profitability targets to prove to our board of directors and to our shareholders that we are on the right track for growth. Remember, we are a publically traded company. As such, our mission is to exceed our guests' expectations profitably. It is within this context that we are constantly evaluating our expenses and the return for having spent the money. Also, we are seeking additional revenue generating opportunities. Throughout 2013, our executive team has taken a decision to modify, improve, change, add and eliminate various items that evolves our brand and positioning. It might be challenging sometimes because policies and programs my change which some people will like and others will not, while some won't care.

Of course, we're disappointed to read on Cruise Critic that some past guests have determined that our 2013 product enhancements (spirits and AzAmazing Evenings) and/or the removal of the harpists and the addition of revenue generating programs, have positioned Azamara Club Cruises into a product experience and price-point that no longer fits their lifestyle needs. With every change there are risks.

To remain viable we must create more "new" Azamara guests to vacation with us now and in the future to ensure that our vessels meet and exceed their revenue targets. I once reported that our past guests represent almost a quarter of our business which is impressive considering that it was only 5% prior to April 2010 and we're eager to see it grow. While very much appreciated for the positive word-of-mouth referral business that it drives, it also implies that we need more awareness from new guests. This includes the many cruise "considerers" that have not selected a cruise brand along with those "non-cruisers" who have never considered a cruise as a vacation option. With our longer stays, more overnights and night touring we offer boutique hotel land travelers an option to realize their objective of destination immersion. So our challenge is one of building brand awareness and purchase intent. These needs were behind the decision to add those two "evolutionary" product inclusions (spirits and AzAmazing Evenings) to enhance the onboard friendliness and provide a tangible destination immersion experience.

Fortunately we are gaining new Azamara guests so that we can remain viable for the future. Larry Pimentel reported in October 2013 that year-over year 2014 revenue growth was 44% above the same time last year. Our decision to add these enhancements was to "grow" the market by creating an augmented Azamara experience that might appeal to cruise "considerers" that have not yet selected our brand along with those "non-cruisers" who have never considered a cruise as a vacation option. It seems for these new guests, they perceive that we now offer a more compelling value proposition, enhanced by our aggressive marketing programs, along with AzAmazing Evenings - a tangible demonstration of "destination immersion."

Again, we are looking to deliver an experience that guests will love built upon our core essence of destination-immersion and our extraordinary onboard team. Simply, we are striving toward achieving such striking success that additional vessels will be possible. That’s the name of the game in a public company. We are hell-bent on the growth of our brand. When Richard Fain, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., was asked by Travel Weekly whether "Azamara Club Cruises is due some new ships," Mr. Fain replied "that capacity growth across RCCL has been slowing, but that bookings at Azamara are 'just sterling' this year, and that if it continues and the opportunity presents itself, he would be happy to expand."

But expanding the Azamara fleet isn’t as simple as flipping a light switch. We need to be prudent, perform our due diligence and satisfy the management of our parent company and its shareholders that we are on the right track. I know that Larry Pimentel believes that we "are on the right track." At the same time, he and his team are also working hard at making the Azamara cruise experience the absolute best it can be.

We want to increase our customer base and exceed our guests’ satisfaction expectations.

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Since Azamara does not have a concierge level equivalent to Celebrity's, give a value of 5 or 6 to each night in the veranda class on Azamara. The new Celebrity system seems to be based on money. Azamara cruises cost a lot more than Celebrity. In 2014 I have one cruise booked on Celebrity and another one booked on Azamara. They are both 14 night cruises. If the new point system is based on money spent, the Azamara cruise should award more points than the Celebrity cruise. As it stands now, each cruise will get me 42 points. On the old system, each cruise got 2 points. As an elite I never cared. Points to get to elite were important. After reaching elite, it didn't matter. Now, the points do make a difference.

Since Azamara does not have a concierge level equivalent to Celebrity's, give a value of 5 or 6 to each night in the veranda class on Azamara. The new Celebrity system seems to be based on money. Azamara cruises cost a lot more than Celebrity. In 2014 I have one cruise booked on Celebrity and another one booked on Azamara. They are both 14 night cruises. If the new point system is based on money spent, the Azamara cruise should award more points than the Celebrity cruise. As it stands now, each cruise will get me 42 points. On the old system, each cruise got 2 points. As an elite I never cared. Points to get to elite were important. After reaching elite, it didn't matter. Now, the points do make a difference.

Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to post at length your thoughts about Azamara's future positive outlook.

The majority of us on this board love the brand, only want it to thrive and understand that revenue needs to be generated even if we don't like all the changes.

The only small area where I disagree with you is regarding the refurbishment. From the hype generated at the time I was expecting much more and I think it should more accurately be described as a 'refresh'.

That said, I love sailing on Azamara, am eagerly anticipating my 2014 cruise and hope to enjoy many more voyages in the years to come.

We are still finalizing the actual benefits and it's too soon for me to share program details as they are in final review. With respect to the reciprocity program with Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club and Royal Caribbean International's Crown & Anchor loyalty club, at this time I am unable to respond to your questions about this topic. I should be able to do so, sometime in early December.

Celebrity has already published the following in their new T&Cs on the Captain Club website: "Points on Celebrity and Azamara are earned cumulatively in both loyalty programs. For example, 20 Club Points earned on a Celebrity sailing will be reflected as 20 points in both Celebrity's and Azamara's loyalty programs. The total Club Points for the member will reflect all qualified points earned." So it seems that there is a Celebrity/Azamara reciprocity policy in place for the new system (it IS different for Royal Carib). Capt Club further equates the new levels between brands. So why is Azamara having trouble explaining the new system?

Redtravel makes a good point about comparing price/value between Azamara and Celebrity. It seems that we could be rewarded for the extra amount we spend on Azamara.