Children at the bar / bar stools

20pluscruises

It just so happens they are on vacation and not at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So when you are on holiday all rules of civilized behavior go out of the window ??

Have a look at the back of the ship you will in the daytime see a flag , there is also a port of registration painted on the stern , the laws of that country apply , in the case of Celebrity ships I think that most of them carry the flag of Malta, a rather "catholic" country with values to match ...

However in practice the values of the USA are observed on board ...so its reasonable to expect passengers to behave as they would at home :p

best regards

John

What about many of the 'oldies' that I saw lining up to get their icecream and sprinkles and stuffing their faces every day with hamburgers and chips like big kids. Not to mention many of them parading around the pool deck in tiny swimwear totally unsuitable for their age group and figure types.

So I'm sorry if you find it so highly offensive for a 16 year old to sit and enjoy a softdrink at the Martini Bar in the early evening, but I'm sure you wouldn't really enjoy the loud music they play there anyway, definitely more targeted towards a 20/30 something type crowd. Perhaps stick to the dancing in the Rendezvous lounge or have an early night!

I'm happy to say my children were made to feel very welcome on our cruise by both staff and passengers in all areas of the ship, I just have to laugh at some of the 'fudy dudy' comments along the lines of children should be seen and not heard. I think you would find the majority of children on Celebrity cruises would be very well behaved, but can't say this is always the case for the adults!

Sorry to sound like a moron, however it is also true of people with children they have also spent thousands of dollars paying for their children to go on vacation with them. I for one wouldn't want to spend my time in the cabin "with the children" hey I am on vacation and I for one wouldn't leave the children alone at night. As far as I am concerned there is absolutely nothing wrong with children at bars, I think they have as much right as the next person to be there.

On our Eclipse cruise, which was in the summer holiday season, there were plenty of kids in the Martini & Molecular Bars and yes, some were sat at the bar drawing in the ice-covered bar top. They were well behaved and added to the ambience. I really don't see a problem so long as they are well behaved. We saw quite a few adults who weren't behaving so I think they are by far the greater issue! The bar staff were great with the kids and even made them special alcohol-free cocktails to enjoy.

This has raised the point that there are big differences in the attitudes to alcohol and kids between the USA and the UK/Europe. In the latter kids are welcome in most bars until closing time. Indeed in the Med you will see families going out to eat & drink in cafe/bars at 10-11pm.

As our Eclipse cruise departed from the UK those from the US were in a minority which is probably why there were more kids in the bars. It hasn't always been like that here in the UK (at least not when I was a kid) but over the past decade or so we have adopted the more relaxed European attitude.

So I'm sorry if you find it so highly offensive for a 16 year old to sit and enjoy a softdrink at the Martini Bar in the early evening, but I'm sure you wouldn't really enjoy the loud music they play there anyway, definitely more targeted towards a 20/30 something type crowd. Perhaps stick to the dancing in the Rendezvous lounge or have an early night!

a 16 year old is a teenager, NOT a kid. when I , at least , say 'kid' I mean anybody under 14 who hasn't learned to control the volume or sit quietly and hold an intelligent conversation. so no, IMNSHO anyone not in High school does NOT belong at the actual bar taking up space. i could give a flying fig whether they are in the lounge part hanging out with friends or family as long as they are quiet and do not disturb the rest of us.

One would assume that a 16 year old is mature enough to sit at a bar..

Well, I guess I'm going to horrify some with my story. So sorry. :rolleyes:

Last summer, my dh, kids (7 and 10) and I stopped at the Martini Bar after dinner so I could get a drink "to go". BTW, they serve all drinks there, not just martinis. The menu may not include Shirley Temples, but they are available.

Anyway, while we were waiting, my dh and dd built a snowman from the ice bar. This led to a bartender giving them toothpicks and other small assorted items to "dress" up their creation. This, of course, led to lots of laughter all around the end of the bar and a small army of snowmen being built. We ended up staying there for 20 minutes or so. If we ruined anyone's ambiance, they didn't let us know.

We've taken our children on two Celebrity cruises now, both during the summer to Bermuda, and we're considering it again for next year. I do appreciate that the child-unfriendly avoid summer cruises, because we've certainly never run into any.

The OP's question related to whether children can sit on bar stools. The answer is, as some other people have stated, "Yes!"

When we sail with our grandchildren, we buy them the non-alcoholic beverage package and the only place for them to get drinks, rather than be served drinks, is at the "bar". Typically, the only place that they go and get their own drinks when they are with us is when we are on the pool deck. If they are getting a bottle of water, they do not sit at the bar. If they are getting a "sticky" drink in an open glass, they are told that they must stay at the bar and not carry the drink. This is during the day.

We are always watching them and, if we see adults acting inappropriately, they are kept away from them just as if we were in any other venue. In fact, we have made them leave the pool because of adults acting inappropriately in the pool. It seems that acting as if a couple is alone in a pool has been an issue on our cruises. "Get a room" is what I'd like to say. Instead, we remove ourselves as these adults probably are more interested in taking "selfies" than understanding that they are in a public area and should be intimate without being overtly intimate, or, they just don't care.

I would hope that adults who want an adult only environment go to those locations that are designated as "adult only". If that is not the designation, the preference for no children is a moot point. To the OP, yes, children can and should, in my opinion, sometimes sit on bar stools.

Drawing on the ice top bar OR making a snowman from the shavings is not good behavior, even if the bartender thinks it's okay. (And really, could you honestly say he or she has the freedom to express displeasure with cruise passengers?)

THIS is the type of behavior that destroys bar ambiance and it's why many of us believe it's NOT okay for children to sit at the Martini bar. They CAN do it, but should they? NO!

a 16 year old is a teenager, NOT a kid. when I , at least , say 'kid' I mean anybody under 14 who hasn't learned to control the volume or sit quietly and hold an intelligent conversation. so no, IMNSHO anyone not in High school does NOT belong at the actual bar taking up space. i could give a flying fig whether they are in the lounge part hanging out with friends or family as long as they are quiet and do not disturb the rest of us.

One would assume that a 16 year old is mature enough to sit at a bar..

Wow. You are painting with a pretty broad brush there. My 13 year old grandson is perfectly capable of sitting quietly and holding an intelligent conversation. Truth be told, he would be far better behaved than the loud and boorish adults one often runs into in cruiseship bars. Good manners and appropriate behaviour relate to upbringing, not age.

what are you in church? sheesh. :rolleyes:

as an Atheist no I would not be in church. however I expect my peace and quiet to not be disturbed. I stay out of the lounges and bars when they morph into 'club' venue. until then I expect it to be a calm atmosphere. Unless the game is on. in which case i either depart for a more serene location, or stay and root against Dallas.

Drawing on the ice top bar OR making a snowman from the shavings is not good behavior, even if the bartender thinks it's okay. (And really, could you honestly say he or she has the freedom to express displeasure with cruise passengers?)

THIS is the type of behavior that destroys bar ambiance and it's why many of us believe it's NOT okay for children to sit at the Martini bar. They CAN do it, but should they? NO!

I have yet to experience the Martini bar( my first C cruise is in April) but if I saw that behavior I would be annoyed, and walk out because I think it's silly and asinine behavior( regardless of age)

as an escapee from retail hell, i can assure you behind that Bartender's (probably forced) smile is a groan of despair at having to waste time afterward cleaning up and returning everything to its' proper appearance after the kids leave.

then again the entire concept does not even remotely interest me.. I don;t drink martinis and have no desire to be seated at a bar made of ice anyway so by all means all you parents that think your opinion is more valid and it's cute to let your kids play in the ice have at it. Luckily I won't be around to be annoyed by it.

Drawing on the ice top bar OR making a snowman from the shavings is not good behavior....

100% agree with you. So all you ADULTS out there - STOP drawing on the ice and making snowmen. You're setting a bad example for all the children out there. :rolleyes:

This might be the biggest non-issue thread ever on CC. And that's saying a lot!

Ah, now we have ambiance police! :D

If you read cyntil8ing's post carefully, you'll remember that the bartender was an active participant, "giving them toothpicks and other small assorted items to 'dress' up their creation". Hardly the actions of someone wanting to express displeasure. And judging by the reaction of other patrons, this 20 minute activity was well received. So I hardly think that someone who wasn't there should be complaining about it having destroyed the bar's ambiance.

Ah, now we have ambiance police! :D

If you read cyntil8ing's post carefully, you'll remember that the bartender was an active participant, "giving them toothpicks and other small assorted items to 'dress' up their creation". Hardly the actions of someone wanting to express displeasure. And judging by the reaction of other patrons, this 20 minute activity was well received. So I hardly think that someone who wasn't there should be complaining about it having destroyed the bar's ambiance.

The only policing I do would be to hand out stink eyes, then leave. You can judge me harshly for that all you want. I stand by my position that kids don't belong sitting at the martini bar.

I read great, thanks! The bartender's job is to keep people happy and he's going to make the best of any situation. You weren't there, either, so you have NO idea how the other patrons felt about it.

The only policing I do would be to hand out stink eyes, then leave. You can judge me harshly for that all you want. I stand by my position that kids don't belong sitting at the martini bar.

I read great, thanks! The bartender's job is to keep people happy and he's going to make the best of any situation. You weren't there, either, so you have NO idea how the other patrons felt about it.

According to cyntil8ing, who was there, "This, of course, led to lots of laughter all around the end of the bar." I'd say that gives me a fair idea of how the other patrons felt about it.

It would be so pleasant if everyone in the world behaved the way we thought they should.

Enjoy this defacement I found once when I arrived (sans children) at the Martini Bar. It made me smile.

IMG_0540.JPG

as an Atheist no I would not be in church. however I expect my peace and quiet to not be disturbed. I stay out of the lounges and bars when they morph into 'club' venue. until then I expect it to be a calm atmosphere. Unless the game is on. in which case i either depart for a more serene location, or stay and root against Dallas.

first I apologize for my snarkiness, glad you have a sense of humor! my question is this: who says a bar should be quiet and calm? that is the solariums and the spas job last I checked...

I maintain that so long as the individual is well-behaved does it really matter if they are 8 or 80? There were over 400 kids on our Celebrity cruise and the bars were full of like-minded families having a great time. The bartenders were offering to make the kids alcohol-free cocktails - we didn't even have to ask!

If you are so against seeing kids in bars then I suggest you keep to cruising in term-time when I suspect the numbers of children reduce dramatically.