Updates & Conclusion re: our not so DREAM cruise...

DrVal

Cecilia, I understand what you're saying but if some sort of harrassment or violence happened during the cruise I for one would have been off that ship and suing for the cost of my trip home. I would not be writing what has been written on a public forum.
You're right. There probably wasn't anything criminal going on because anyone in their right mind would have gotten off the ship and called the police and not tolerated the situation any longer. Having said that, I can't imagine anything so horrific that would warrant a 50% refund of the price I paid or a free future cruise. I've cruised a lot and I've read thousands of situations on this board over the years and I can't recall too many times when this kind of compensation would be warranted.

Again, we may never know what happened. What we do know is that the OP was a first time cruiser. We don't know what her expectations were going in. After that, it's all her experience and how she interpreted the situation.

DrVal,

How did you cruise without at least the $10/pp/day svc chg appearing on your acct? Or did you hold whatever happened against all the crew, from the dishwasher to your cabin steward, and have everything removed for the entire cruise? Or did you pay that part in cash? :confused:

I've never heard of a zero balance.:eek:

Ms. Cain-Moore offered us a 50% credit toward a future NCL cruise to settle our claim. We did not ask for a credit and we did not accept it. We requested a partial refund of our cruise fare, plus Sitka port charges minus any taxes or fees actually paid on our behalf. In the alternative, we requested passage for 2 in 2006 to Alaska only if it came with assurances that we would not be subjected to the hardships we endured on the Dream.

WOW! AFTER ALL YOU WANT TO GO NCL AGAINE?:confused: SO YOUR CRUISE MUST BE NOT THAT BAD :mad:

I have never understood the people that seem to be looking for things to go wrong on vacation (not necessarily what happened in this case, of course). But it seems to me that having a video recorder on standby in order to justify / document complaints is a strange way to take a vacation. Is there a small subset of people just looking for something to justify a discount / compensation? When do they ever have fun? :confused: And the only way I can imagine having a zero balance is on an all-inclusive luxury liner - I can't afford that yet, but I can dream!

But it seems to me that having a video recorder on standby in order to justify / document complaints is a strange way to take a vacation.

In fairness to DrVal (and heaven knows she doesn't need ME to defend her), taking along a video camera on a vacation is fairly commonplace, especially to a scenic destination like Alaska. So, she may have just had it on hand and then decided to use it since it would provide better documentation than just words. On the other hand, I don't take issue with the rest of your post.

I have never understood the people that seem to be looking for things to go wrong on vacation (not necessarily what happened in this case, of course). But it seems to me that having a video recorder on standby in order to justify / document complaints is a strange way to take a vacation. Is there a small subset of people just looking for something to justify a discount / compensation? When do they ever have fun? :confused: And the only way I can imagine having a zero balance is on an all-inclusive luxury liner - I can't afford that yet, but I can dream!

I'm not sure that they had a video camera on standby just in case to justify or document some incident. However, it would be reasonable to think that they had it in hand to record their vacation fun and then just happened to be in the right spot at the right time to record the negative incident. I almost always have my camera near by for that special photo opportunity.

I have had my moments on this thread of frustration but still manage to keep checking back to see if there is any new news. It will be interesting to find out what exactly happened. We were on the Animal House at Sea in February and there were horrible incidents happening during our five day cruise. I had several opportunities to take still pictures of some of the terrible behavior of cruisers but I chose not to since the crew was doing everything they could to handle the out of control college kids. Now, if I had the opportunity to record the illegal activity of these kids I would have but not for my own benefit but instead to help NCL catch them.

It is my impression that we are being used for leverage. Dr. Val can say to NCL, "Here is my complaint, here's what I want for compensation. By the way, my teaser thread on Cruise Critic has over 2500 views (fill in any additional message board sites). People are dying to hear about my horrific event and I will tell them all if I don't get what I want."

Dr Val has told us that she is a nice person, though, so I'm sure she wouldn't put it quite like that ;) .

I have been thinking this thought since the word "horrific" was first used by Dr. Val, but knew my point would make little difference. I understand that Dr. Val did not like her cruise and no one can judge that better than she. However, Leon Klinghoffer and his family's cruise was horrific. I guess I have too much empathy. I feel embarassed using such strong terms to describe my own problems when there ARE horrific things happening to some folks.

Anyway, I have added my thoughts to the pool here.

I love cruising, so I think anything that demeans the experience should be brought to light, addressed, and eliminated. However, Dr. Val's posts, more and more, have turned my stomach about her whole affair. The way this is unfolding (or not unfolding) seems kind of ugly to me. imho.

What will happen if she gets what she wants? What will happen if she doesn't get what she wants? Lots of implications to ponder. I agree, it does sort of flow like a soap opera, except it's real.

It is my impression that we are being used for leverage. Dr. Val can say to NCL, "Here is my complaint, here's what I want for compensation. By the way, my teaser thread on Cruise Critic has over 2500 views (fill in any additional message board sites). People are dying to hear about my horrific event and I will tell them all if I don't get what I want."

An identical thread--same bolded phrases, etc.--has been posted on another site as well. One can only wonder on how many other similar sites this calculatedly melodramatic tale-of-woe has been plastered.

From my experience with NCL customer relations is "most are worthless especially Alice Cain-Moore who also is quite rude and needs a lesson in listening". Colin Veitch what good is he? They could care less, they just try to make you think that they are working towards a resolution. As far as the OP not revealing "all" might be as in our case, we had been asked not to reveal the situation until NCL had time to review the situation. It has been 5 months and just last week we reveived a post card that acknowledged that NCL received our correspondence and they are researching our concerns. 5 months later with repeated phone calls and letters who does NCL think they are? As I stated in my last letter to NCL that "NCL needs to deal with customer issues effectively, with respect and in a timely manner". Please give the OP some slack and don't assume what you don't know.

in that case, the OP shouldn't have come to the boards at all.

what galls most people is the posting of all of the teasers, hints etc. without offering up the goods. most have the feeling that someone who was legitimately wronged, and seeking appropriate but not extortionate compensation, would have simply dealt directly with NCL or would have done that and been fully upfront about his or her experience on the boards so others could benefit from the experience

the OP's approach seems to be designed to extort not inform.

this is not meant to be critical, but analytical

I disagree. I promised to post a review after our sailing and I did hold back the details as asked by NCL. Also as in our case no amount of compensation could begin to fix the woes caused by NCL incompetence and inefficency.

in that case, the OP shouldn't have come to the boards at all.

what galls most people is the posting of all of the teasers, hints etc. without offering up the goods. most have the feeling that someone who was legitimately wronged, and seeking appropriate but not extortionate compensation, would have simply dealt directly with NCL or would have done that and been fully upfront about his or her experience on the boards so others could benefit from the experience

the OP's approach seems to be designed to extort not inform.

this is not meant to be critical, but analytical

I agree. At first I felt somewhat sympathetic to Dr. Val's case but now it just seems like a none-too subtle blackmail attempt done in order to exhort major compensation while at the same time trying to to discredit NCL in the eyes of cruisers though innuendo and half told tales. I would be surprised if NCL gives her what she wants. I would have preferred it if she had told the whole story or not told any story at all.

I disagree. I promised to post a review after our sailing and I did hold back the details as asked by NCL. Also as in our case no amount of compensation could begin to fix the woes caused by NCL incompetence and inefficency.

Then why are you pursuing compensation rather than telling us the story - so that we can hopefully sympathize and learn from your experiences?

hsc seems to have had a very bad experience with Alice Cain-Moore and on another thread DrVal says she had a possitive one. go figure. She is keeping us informed, I will say that much, but I don't know what to truely believe. It does appear she will try to get all she can and then some. hsc doesn't want us to know what really happened and certainly DrVal only wants us to know a few things. I am really getting a little tired of this whole thing and think I too want to be awakened when something really happens that is newsworthy. It's like the horrible situation in Aruba, which really is horrible, not just a few inconvenieces on a cruise ship, anyway, same thing there, let us know when something really new turns up. NMNita

From my experience with NCL customer relations is "most are worthless especially Alice Cain-Moore who also is quite rude and needs a lesson in listening". Colin Veitch what good is he? They could care less, they just try to make you think that they are working towards a resolution. As far as the OP not revealing "all" might be as in our case, we had been asked not to reveal the situation until NCL had time to review the situation. It has been 5 months and just last week we reveived a post card that acknowledged that NCL received our correspondence and they are researching our concerns. 5 months later with repeated phone calls and letters who does NCL think they are? As I stated in my last letter to NCL that "NCL needs to deal with customer issues effectively, with respect and in a timely manner". Please give the OP some slack and don't assume what you don't know.

Well it seems DrVal got a reponse much quicker than you. It also seems she was offered a pretty good compensation package (at least it sounds good based on the info we've read about her "experiences")- I guess it all goes back to what Mr. veitch wrote to ShoreGuy

The reasonable people are, in the end, more likely to have

a good outcome -- especially if they feel that writing to me should be part

of their approach. I respond to reasonableness!

With best wishes for the Holidays,

Colin Veitch

Since I'm pretty new to the Cruise Critic BBS I haven't posted on this or the other threads relating to DrVal's horrific experiences (yet to be disclosed). What I did read, are posts from dozens of people who have had a great experience on the Dream and other NCL ships and two or three posters that haven't.

Bad news gets much more mileage than good news. I'm inferring from the numerous positive posts that the Dream is what you'd expect any large upscale ship to be; a well run resort with the inevitable "oops".

Having worked several years as a waitress while in college it always seemed there was one table per shift that I really messed up on. Sometimes they were gracious and commiserated with me over my somewhat lacking performance and sometimes they demanded some form of restitution, which I always provided even if it was out of my own pocket.

My point here? The positive clearly outweighs the negative experiences on the Dream. I'm in the process of booking the repositioning cruise in September on the Dream and am totally looking forward to it, because of these threads not in spite of them. There might be an oops or two, but heck... I've been the source of an oops or two. I intend to have a great time and know that this experience will provide that.

Several people have said you bring your good vacation with you. You can't do anything about what happens TO you, but you can always influence how you respond to an oops. If one happens to me on this cruise, I intend to laugh it off and cruise on!

Kathy Q

My point here? The positive clearly outweighs the negative experiences on the Dream. I'm in the process of booking the repositioning cruise in September on the Dream and am totally looking forward to it, because of these threads not in spite of them. There might be an oops or two, but heck... I've been the source of an oops or two. I intend to have a great time and know that this experience will provide that.

I like your attitude. And welcome to the boards!

My only request from NCL was for an explenation as to "why" and if this is an unreasonable request so be it. I don't see where I'm pursuing compensation for wanting an explanation, no compensation could possibly rectify what had happened. How can anyone benefit from our experience without answers. I want answers for us as also. The problem with some posters is that they throw in their 2 cents cooking up their own speculations not knowing, don't assume. Lot of us have credible grievance with NCL. Bottom line is that NCL Customer Relations stinks and they will compansate instead of correct.

My only request from NCL was for an explenation as to "why" and if this is an unreasonable request so be it. I don't see where I'm pursuing compensation for wanting an explanation, no compensation could possibly rectify what had happened. How can anyone benefit from our experience without answers. I want answers for us as also. The problem with some posters is that they throw in their 2 cents cooking up their own speculations not knowing, don't assume. Lot of us have credible grievance with NCL. Bottom line is that NCL Customer Relations stinks and they will compansate instead of correct.

This quote is from hsc the poster before this one. He/She too has a credible grievance with NCL but isn't telling. It feels like I've been here did that and even got the T shirt.

The problem with some posters is that they throw in their 2 cents cooking up their own speculations not knowing, don't assume. Lot of us have credible grievance with NCL. Bottom line is that NCL Customer Relations stinks and they will compansate instead of correct.

Well all we can do is post our own opinion's. Last I checked that is allowed. Obviously, you aren't releasing details either so we can only assume. Maybe your communication to NCL was misplaced or not received, maybe that's why they never got in touch:confused:

Then why are you pursuing compensation rather than telling us the story - so that we can hopefully sympathize and learn from your experiences?

Where do you read that I'm pursuing compensation? I don't want sympathy I want answers from NCL. If compensation was what I wanted NCL would have done that already, because they are so quick compensate but not correct.

Where do you read that I'm pursuing compensation? I don't want sympathy I want answers from NCL. If compensation was what I wanted NCL would have done that already, because they are so quick compensate but not correct.

Was it something that happend with NCL customer service prior to cruising? I don't think if something horrible happened on the ship that the big guys over in the Corporate office would be able to tell you why... Well, I guess we'll never be able to offer more advice b/c we don't know what your experience was.

If the incidents (which we cannot learn from because you are not telling us) ocurred on board the ship - why would head office provide the "answers"?

Also what if there are no "answers" and they have apologized for (I assume) messing something up? Isn't that "enough" if you don't want compensation?

Also why the big secret unless you are expecting something more? Surely it would be more useful to fellow cruisers if you let us know what happened?

Archived