Passport expiring within six months

Mississippian

We have a five-night Princess cruise booked in early January. Our children have passports that are good through 2017. My wife and have passports that expire late February. There will be numerous other family members on the cruise as well.

I see where Princess "recommends" that passports be good for six months. But is this a requirement? Should we also bring birth certificates as a backup?

I will probably call Princess on this, but thought some of you might know.

A lot depends on where you're traveling to. I was worried about this recently and read up on it. You should do the same. You're likely OK to re-enter the US with a passport that hasn't expired but some countries you may be traveling to will not let you enter with a passport that is near expiration. So, call Princess or your travel agent. Check out the passport info website, too.

You can cruise in the Caribbean, Mexican Riviera or California coastal (I assume no Alaska or New England at this time of the year) on a "closed loop" cruise with just a certified birth certificate (not a hospital birth certificate and it has to be stamped by a notary) and a government-issued ID.

A lot depends on where you're traveling to. I was worried about this recently and read up on it. You should do the same. You're likely OK to re-enter the US with a passport that hasn't expired but some countries you may be traveling to will not let you enter with a passport that is near expiration. So, call Princess or your travel agent. Check out the passport info website, too.

We're on a five-night, FLL to Cayman Islands, to Cozumel, to FLL. I looked on a list of countries which required a six month validity, and could not find either or these, nor the United Kingdom (of which Cayman Islands are a territory).

Anyone have any problems with this in the past?

Edited by Mississippian

If you are on a Caribbean cruise, you will not need to present your passport at any of the ports on the itinerary, just when checking in for the cruise and when returning to the USA.

If you still feel there might be a problem, bring along the certified birth certificates, but the poassports should be sufficient.

But when you return, I would get them renewed. As others suggested, you can do this with forms from the Internet, pictures from a local drugstore, and the US mail.

Unless you never plan to travel again, why not just renew the passport so you won't need to worry.

One reason could be that in order to renew your passport you have to also send in your current one. With a cruise in January that would be cutting it pretty close too the sail date. This should have been done a little earlier that now but some people have no idea when theirs expire and only check when the are needing to use it.

One reason could be that in order to renew your passport you have to also send in your current one. With a cruise in January that would be cutting it pretty close too the sail date. This should have been done a little earlier that now but some people have no idea when theirs expire and only check when the are needing to use it.

I'd be reluctant to send my passport away at this late date. I wonder if the OP lives near a passport office that could renew it in person. Our TA reminds us to check our passport expiration every time we make a reservation.

I'd be reluctant to send my passport away at this late date. I wonder if the OP lives near a passport office that could renew it in person. Our TA reminds us to check our passport expiration every time we make a reservation.

The OP's passport is fine for the cruise. As stated befiore this cruises doesn't even need a passport . Let alone one that has more then six months till expert ion .

The OP's passport is fine for the cruise. As stated befiore this cruises doesn't even need a passport . Let alone one that has more then six months till expert ion .

I realize that. I was responding to an earlier posting that suggested that the OP should get it renewed now. It's too late to send a passport away and hope that it gets renewed in time for a January cruise.

I realize that. I was responding to an earlier posting that suggested that the OP should get it renewed now. It's too late to send a passport away and hope that it gets renewed in time for a January cruise.

I was in a similar situation before I went to Alaska in late August and waited to renew when I got back. However, I sent my renewal right before the government shutdown and had it back in two weeks to the day I sent it out. The ace in the hole for the OP is that they could always travel with just the BC if they didn't get it back in time. I had no idea where my BC was so went the safest route.

We're on a five-night, FLL to Cayman Islands, to Cozumel, to FLL. I looked on a list of countries which required a six month validity, and could not find either or these, nor the United Kingdom (of which Cayman Islands are a territory).

Anyone have any problems with this in the past?

On this itinerary (or basically any Caribbean) you are fine as long as your US passport is valid on the day you return. There is no 6 month requirement, that is just a worst-case one-size-fits-all solution. You will be fine.

Passport renewals only take about 3 weeks from the time you mail it until you receive the new passport and if they were extremely worried about getting it back in time they could pay to expedite it.

The reason behind the "six month or more left, before travelling" is to insure that if you should happen to have an accident or sickness, and are left behind on foreign soil, you can still get back home without problem. Contact Princess and go with their recommendations.

Edited by christinelee

Is a cruise that leaves from and returns to Los Angeles Harbor/San Pedro that visits French Polynesia and Western Samoa considered Closed-Loop?

I am a bit nervous as this cruise is in October 2014 and my passport expires Feb 1, 2015. In addition I am dangerously low on stamp pages. I am trying to avoid paying for extra pages being this close to expiration. Extra pages is about the same cost as a new passport. Paying the high cost twice in such a short time is what I am trying to avoid.

Is a cruise that leaves from and returns to Los Angeles Harbor/San Pedro that visits French Polynesia and Western Samoa considered Closed-Loop?

I am a bit nervous as this cruise is in October 2014 and my passport expires Feb 1, 2015. In addition I am dangerously low on stamp pages. I am trying to avoid paying for extra pages being this close to expiration. Extra pages is about the same cost as a new passport. Paying the high cost twice in such a short time is what I am trying to avoid.

I would renew before your cruise. It appears both American Samoa and French Polynesia require passports to enter their respective countries. One requires passport to be good for three months, the other requires the passport to be good for six months upon entry. Not sure whether this is a "closed loop" cruise as typically defined. Best to renew the passport now - you have plenty of time.

The reason behind the "six month or more left, before travelling" is to insure that if you should happen to have an accident or sickness, and are left behind on foreign soil, you can still get back home without problem. Contact Princess and go with their recommendations.

I don't know if it makes a difference with a Canadian passport but I can not finish the cruise personalizer for our upcoming cruise in August, 2014. We return the 22nd of September, 2014 and my passport expires in the middle of February, 2015. Our cruise include the United Kingdom. I contacted Princess and they said that the passport has to be valid for 6 months after return. The rep of Princess even tried to override the system but no such luck.

Now, I know that the OP goes on a cruise that is a closed loop but it also includes the Cayman Islands and that is United Kingdom territory.

Like some other people suggested, get a new passport. Just MHO of course.

Theo

I just got back from a cruise to Puerto Vallarta & Cabo san Lucas and had to send my passport & renewal in last Friday. I am going to Hawaii from SF and the ship returns to SF Feb 3 and my passport expires one day short of the 6 month period beyond the end of the voyage. Princess & my travel agent told me it has to get renewed before I leave.

Good news: I sent my renewal in Friday and it was received by the passport office today. Paid $5.61 for certified and a large envelope because passport office doesn't want it sent in a #10 envelope but a full size envelope requiring no folding. Too bad I folded it already.

Yes, it's a closed loop since it sails from and returns to the same port. HOWEVER, the non-passport waiver applies only to cruises to Alaska, New England, the Caribbean and Mexico because elsewhere, countries require a passport for entry. Even if you don't plan to get off the ship, you won't be allowed to board. You'll need your passport renewed before sailing.

No its basically a rule for sailing the Caribbean

We took that cruise in 2012 and didn't get a single stamp in the passport.

If you are still worried, just renew around August. We did that with DW's passport and got it back in plenty of time. You can even get a passport with extra pages already included for no extra charge.