Trip Insurance

Bankshot

We are over 80 and insurance rates for us are VERY high. Princess gives us insurance at a reasonable rate so we sometines take it. For short cruises not in a suite, we usually don't buy any. It all depends on how much we feel we can afford to lose.

Cruiseline sponsored insurance generally is the better value for older travelers because they do not have an age component to their premium. The drawback is that you are not covered for any pre-existing conditions (no waiver for purchasing early) which is offset by the fact that you usually have cancel-for-any-reason protection as a credit.

Guest maddycat

I buy our insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. Their website is easy to understand. When I need additional advice I call and speak to one of their agents. They're very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/index.shtml

I've been buying Travel Safe insurance. I purchase it with in 21 days of paying my cruise deposit so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered. Luckily, I haven't needed to put in a claim.

The cost of my insurance is always figured into my vacation/cruise budget. After one serious incident on a vacation, I would never dream of not insuring myself for a trip. If I can't afford the insurance, I can't afford the vacation…

There may be some items that are part of some policies that you don't need/want. Be sure to thoroughly shop and don't just take the cruise-offered policy because it is cheap...

You know there's an insurance forum on Cruisecritic, found here

Also, not sure if you're aware that you posted the same question twice in this forum - so make sure you check the responses in both threads.

I'm assuming you mean trip cancellation insurance? For that I think buying it when you purchase your tickets from the cruise line might be the best bet.

For other insurances like air evacuation home, I use JetAssist. DH was taken from a cruise to a hospital on foreign soil. They were really helpful although we ended up not using it because he couldn't fly (but was successfully treated in the hospital where he was taken) . But it was sure nice to have someone from "back home" to talk to and to know if he had been cleared to fly they were standing by.

Guest maddycat
You know there's an insurance forum on Cruisecritic, found here

Also, not sure if you're aware that you posted the same question twice in this forum - so make sure you check the responses in both threads.

I'm assuming you mean trip cancellation insurance? For that I think buying it when you purchase your tickets from the cruise line might be the best bet.

For other insurances like air evacuation home, I use JetAssist. DH was taken from a cruise to a hospital on foreign soil. They were really helpful although we ended up not using it because he couldn't fly (but was successfully treated in the hospital where he was taken) . But it was sure nice to have someone from "back home" to talk to and to know if he had been cleared to fly they were standing by.

I think that you meant to say that you use Medjet Assist. Medjet Assist is not medical insurance but is medical transportation/evacuation. Once you have been admitted to a local hospital and stabilized, Medjet Assist will transport you to the hospital of your choice. If you are an AARP member you can get an 18% discount when purchasing Medjet Assist.

http://www.medjetassist.com/

Guest maddycat
We are over 80 and insurance rates for us are VERY high. Princess gives us insurance at a reasonable rate so we sometines take it. For short cruises not in a suite, we usually don't buy any. It all depends on how much we feel we can afford to lose.

For me the most important component of travel insurance is the medical coverage and evacuation coverage. I can't believe that anyone who is over 80 doesn't buy insurance no matter how short or inexpensive the cost of the cruise.

Edited by maddycat

Medicare does not cover outside the US so medical insurance is a must when traveling...

This is an extremely misleading statement.

While it is true that Medicare itself does not cover medical expenses outside of the US, many of the supplemental policies that virtually all of us carry, definitely do cover medical expenses outside of the US.

Scott & Karen

I think that you meant to say that you use Medjet Assist. Medjet Assist is not medical insurance but is medical transportation/evacuation. Once you have been admitted to a local hospital and stabilized, Medjet Assist will transport you to the hospital of your choice. If you are an AARP member you can get an 18% discount when purchasing Medjet Assist.

http://www.medjetassist.com/

I also get a temporary policy with MedJet Assist. I'm in my late 60s with heart problems. I want to be sure I can get to a hospital at home after being admitted to a hospital in a foreign country. Of course the best thing would be to not be in a hospital to begin with!

This is an extremely misleading statement.

While it is true that Medicare itself does not cover medical expenses outside of the US, many of the supplemental policies that virtually all of us carry, definitely do cover medical expenses outside of the US.

Scott & Karen

Let me rephrase that - many supplemental medicare policies do not cover medical costs outside of the US. Please check your own policy to determine if you need additional coverage.

I use Princess cruiseline insurance as part of every booking. It is not based on age. My Medicare supplement provides some coverage after a $250 deductible. I also joined MedJetAssist because I have been doing cruises in Europe the past couple of years.

I had ocassion to file a claim after a fall while on a private tour in Rome, and received medical care onboard the ship. My supplement paid for about 1/3 of the expenses (which totalled over $600), and the remainder, including reimbursement of the deductible, was paid to me by the Princess insurance. I had no out of pocket expense for the care I received.

What do you want the insurance to cover?

If you are only really wanting the insurance for medical and medical evacuation the insurance will be much less then if you also want it to cover the cost of trip cancellation.

Since we are on Medicare which is of no use outside the US we are only concerned with medial and medical evacuation. Our supplement does not cover outside of US.

Insure My Trip would be a good place to compare.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

Edited by SPacificbound