Bon Voyage Dave (DMWNC1959)!!!

sunsetbeachgal

All 6 cabanas in the Retreat are rented had the Reserved sign on them this morning.

Had another wonderful Pub Lunch with three other Cruise Critic folks. We sort of just keep running into each other. This time I had the Scotch Egg but asked to have it heated. Personally it tastes better to me that way than when served cold.

A glorious sea day and it's really hot outside. Sun Deck aft of the pool area is well shaded, as are both of the Promenade Deck 'porches'.

11370867115_f8dab1a75e_c.jpg

11370867875_f618120c97_c.jpg

11370868605_4a91a17d47_c.jpg

11370868615_df468ee98d_c.jpg

On tap

11370868645_ef4246c6d9_c.jpg

By the can and bottle

11370988804_f653bda14d_c.jpg

Dave,

Great photos! Great posts! YOU DO "LIVE" BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE!!!! Thank you for taking us on your cruises. Hope that we can cruise with you sometime! You are a person who enjoys life to the fullest! Thanks so much! Safe journey home!

Fred & Judi

Dave.....you deserve another one of those Nutella sundaes from the Gelateria too! Thanks again for your wonderful pictures and informative impressions of the Royal. You have laid to waste so many erroneous claims with your camera.:D Sorry to see your cruise end. We feel like we have to pack to go home too. :( Have a safe trip home. :D

I agree. Dave's thread is one of the best ever on this site. I'm LOVING cruising with him and am kicking myself that I didn't try all the things he has.

We had a GREAT group on the Royal T/A. That had a lot to do with making it a terrific cruise. Quite a few of us are also booked on the Royal's T/A in September. Come along! :) Everyone's welcome! I can't wait to board the Royal again.

Pam! A very inviting offer, for sure. I'd love to do that, but have to watch the length of vacations I take due to our government reporting, and me being the QA guy that is on the delivery team. <sigh> But perhaps by then we won't even have a semblance of a government left to deliver reports to, and that would either make it easier, or totally impossible! :confused: But I'll sure keep it in mind. I'm leaning toward the new Regal just for comparison sake!

It was a fun challenge, even at 5:30am, but I managed to hit every passenger elevator on Royal Princess (except one, which was out of service), and take a picture of the motivational quotes. I know some of these had been posted before, but here are the ones I got today:

- You return from a trip, but not from a true journey

- It's not just where you look, it's what you see

- If a person has anything in them, travel will bring it out

- There are Seven Seas but infinite possibilities

- To find inspiration, look to the horizon

- Those that travel far know much

- The value of travel is the baggage you leave behind

- To see yourself, go out and see the world

- Whatever you pack, there's always room for memories

- Even the shortest journey expands the world

- A great voyage is a journey that never ends

- No matter what happens, travel gives you a story

- Measure the journey by the friends you discover

Too bad you didn't find the secret lottery numbers.

I had not originally planned on doing a Live thread, and want to say THANK YOU to sunsetbeachgal (Carol) for starting this thread, and for everyone's Bon Voyage Wishes that truly encouraged me to want to share my experiences aboard Royal Princess with you.

There are sooooo many people that have come before me, that have commented on the many other Live threads and reviews, and without you I could have never properly adjusted my expectations prior to embarking in Fort Lauderdale.

Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day, trying to do everything again 'for the first time' that I've already done in these past 13 days. Lots of final experiences to make sure are checked off that 'List', a final Bellini, parting goodbye's to my fellow Cruise Critic shipmates who have each added something very special to my time here, and yes, the dreaded packing of everything back into the suitcase.

I'm really glad that all of you have enjoyed the pictures and updates, and there will be a couple more coming in my final remaining hours aboard Royal Princess.

Stay tuned.... ;)

David! I can only say one thing that I think sums it up! YOU, my friend, are an AMAZING person! I know no one else that has your dedication, proficiency at what you do, or the exact way to say/do things 100% of the time as do you! I am so glad that we met (albeit, via internet/cruise critic). I would surely wish we could meet again, face 2 face next time! :)

A list of some of the complimentary TV shows and movies currently playing on the In Stateroom entertainment system:

Thanks for that detailed list and photos of how the In Stateroom system works. Looks very interesting. Would love to see it go fleetwide.

And thanks again for this very informative "Live" thread. Your wonderful photos really showed not only the big features, but also the smaller things that make the Royal Princess unique.

Ran into the comedian Carlos Oscar while standing in line at the Passenger Services Desk (yes, they made him stand in line too) and I asked him how long he was on the ship. He told me that he disembarks the next cruise in St. Thomas, so if you are embarking tomorrow DO NOT miss his show!!!

Hello Dave, Thank you very much for your photos and information. We are sailing a B2B Jan 26 - Feb 9 and your information about the turnover day was most helpful. Have a safe trip home and thanks again - Judith

I was looking at the ship's position you posted earlier. About this time in the morning the ship will probably be sitting out there waiting for the pilot boat to steer you into the Port or just starting to head in. This will be your final excursion!! I usually get up around 4-4:30 AM and head topside for my coffee in the Horizon Court. Then I walk up to 16-17th deck to an area in front right above the bridge. It's very windy up there, so have had to stay back a bit to the side. You might be in a slightly different location on the Royal. It's VERY quiet... except for early joggers and those enjoying the trip in with me, too. The pilot boat comes out and you've hardly realized the ship has turned, and then there's the slow movement forward..... everything comes into perspective, what was on the right, is now on the left. You realize you're back in reality when you hear the humming and activities in the port and the planes taking off......It is also interesting to see how the ship hangs a left and backs into it's space. By then, it's dawn, sunrise, etc.

I don't remember if you saw this last week, since you were in transit and didn't have to get up really early...

This time, though, I was a tad late-but thank goodness for our balcony. The ship seemed to have stopped, but it was after 5 and all of a sudden we were moving in. It was still spectacular, though. I don't get much sleep the final night because I keep checking the time and listening to the ship's sounds..and if on the right side, checking for the lights as we come up the coast. To, me, it always seems like we are coming into a V because of the angle of the course. Then the ship turns to go in straight.

Enjoy your final evening.... we are all there with you! And, I'm hoping there is some way you can save all these posts... it certainly would be another remembrance for you-with several affirmations.

Take care. Lynne

Dave, thanks for the "Best Live Ever"!! No offense to any others that have done "Lives" in the past. Just meant as a great compliment to Dave. The only thing cruise related that I enjoyed more than your thread were my "actual cruises". Thru your commentary and great pictures, I almost felt like I was there with you. Thanks.

One question, Did you ever get to check out the Laser Shooting Range, and if so any thoughts on it?

Have a great post cruise tour, and a safe flight home.

Steve

It was a fun challenge, even at 5:30am, but I managed to hit every passenger elevator on Royal Princess (except one, which was out of service), and take a picture of the motivational quotes. I know some of these had been posted before, but here are the ones I got today:

- You return from a trip, but not from a true journey

- It's not just where you look, it's what you see

- If a person has anything in them, travel will bring it out

- There are Seven Seas but infinite possibilities

- To find inspiration, look to the horizon

- Those that travel far know much

- The value of travel is the baggage you leave behind

- To see yourself, go out and see the world

- Whatever you pack, there's always room for memories

- Even the shortest journey expands the world

- A great voyage is a journey that never ends

- No matter what happens, travel gives you a story

- Measure the journey by the friends you discover

Dave - you have been amazing taking us all along on your journey. I believe these quotes could have been written for you!!

Another thank you for taking us along with you.:)

David! I can only say one thing that I think sums it up! YOU, my friend, are an AMAZING person! I know no one else that has your dedication, proficiency at what you do, or the exact way to say/do things 100% of the time as do you! I am so glad that we met (albeit, via internet/cruise critic). I would surely wish we could meet again, face 2 face next time! :)

I wholeheartedly second that.....:):):)

After watching a wonderful sunset followed by all four of the different water shows played in succession at the fountain pool this evening, the final dinner consisted of pulled pork sandwiches with barbecue sauce along with a bowl of spicy chili from the Trident Grill, and a quick retreat to the Horizon Terrace to enjoy the meal with some quiet conversation and good friends.

After that was done we mutually agreed it was time to hit up Gelato for banana splits, Irish sundaes, and for myself a brownie blast with Nutella ice cream.

A round of final goodbye's, hugs, and handshakes cemented two weeks of shared experiences, friendships, and a truly wonderful cruise.

On the way back to my cabin to finish packing, in the elevator I ran across a very elderly couple who were also on the B2B that had spent every night of the past two weeks dancing in the atrium entertaining everyone with their skills and attire. As we shared our thoughts, they commented that it's the people you meet that can make or break a cruise.

And they are right.

Thank you to everyone whom I have had the distinct pleasure of meeting over the last fourteen days. You have each, in one way or another, enhanced this experience far beyond my expectations. From the wonderful chats we had, the dinners and drinks we've shared, and everything in between, it has been wonderful.

And Thank You to all who have followed along, and for your kind words regarding this Live thread adventure. It has been fun, I'm truly glad that you've enjoyed it, and that it has helped rekindle fond memories or added to the anticipation of an upcoming cruise.

More to come tomorrow with disembarkation and the post-cruise tour.

Until then, sweet dreams to everyone on this final night aboard Royal Princess.

11377259165_01d6679abd_c.jpg

David --

You have been, without a doubt, one of the best traveling companions I have ever had -- even though it was done vicariously!! I was on the Royal two weeks before you and lived my adventure all over again through your eyes. Thank you for another glorious trip. I would give you an A+++ for a grade.

I wish you a fun tour in Fort Lauderdale and a safe trip home. I can truly say that we all are looking forward to future posts and cruise reports. You are an amazing human being.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts, perceptions, adventures, pictures, and your life with us.