Holland America changes carry on wine policy

quist100

In consideration of my earlier POST'

I would like to add that not everyone monitors this web site on a daily basis.

My original post listed at 8:30 AM, TODAY and has 1100 hits. The change in the Holland AM. policy is NOT known by all cruisers AND many hundreds did not see the earlier threads. This problem NEEDS to be kept in front of these posts so ALL newcomers know the current information. There are MANY potential future cruisers who have not read NOR intend to read the fine print that stipulates this change in policy.

Shoving this information to the back of the bus only helps Holland America get away with this insulting change.

I have been a loyal HAL passanger for 17 years and I would continue without this assault on my rights.

This is just a profit center that they want to increase...period. They have also increased to "corkage" to $20.00 a bottle. IF I elect to have dinner in my cabin AND have a bottle of wine I brought on board, is it fair to charge me $20.00 for my ability to open my own bottle in my own room?

We just returned fro 19 days on the Eurodam in the Baltic and Norway. As things are now, this will be the LAST HAL ship we step on.

HAL has lost another couple with 3 stars for good.

There will be no corkage charged for a bottle consumed in your cabin. Only if you take it to the dining room.

There will be no corkage charged for a bottle consumed in your cabin. Only if you take it to the dining room.

I am thinking the OP is assuming (as I am) that there will be a corkage for bottles brought onboard, like Princess. There are only 2 more months of consuming wine in the cabin corkage free or brought on.

To the OP...we have hashed this over and over here. Emails, petitions and letters have been sent to HAL. We have done everything humanly possible to make our feelings known. The only thing left to find out is if HAL will allow us to bring on wine, with an unreasonable corkage fee of $20 per bottle brought on.

The problem is, they have us over a barrel. There aren't many other lines we can go to---and they are aware of that.

This is hardly new news. To quote the Geico car insurance commercial - "everyone knows that".

The reason that there were 1100 hits to your post is that we thought that HAL had a change of heart and was restoring the old policy

DON

Edited by donaldsc

NOT everyone has the time to respond to Thousands of posts and a normal new cruiser might need information brought to their attention now. Maybe this venue is not really for the the general public that will be taking a cruise for the first time or for the limited informed.

I get that impression from the tunnel visioned additude I am beginning to see here.

"Tunnel vision"? Really? There's been plenty of discussion on the changes to the wine policy. Back when it was first announced there were several threads with many, many posts.

And yes this venue IS for the general public. If I hadn't found CC, I would not have known about the current wine policy, nor would I have even considered bringing wine aboard. Joining CC gave me lots of information about cruising, not just about HAL's wine policy. Plenty of new people find CC and sign up every day. You did, right? So do others.

An interesting name, OP - care to give the origin of it? Awhile ago we had a really interesting thread on here where members explained the origin of their screen name. I think I know where the quist bit comes from, would be interesting to see if I'm right, especially when coupled with the "100".:)

I was surprised on our recent HAL cruise how very few people on the ship were aware of the new wine policy. The were actually a number of 4 & 5 star Mariners who said this would be enough to drive them away, and, yes, there are other options.

It will be interesting to see the reactions when the new policy is implemented at the end of January.

Too bad they changed it. We love HAL but not enough to sail on if we can't board our own wine.

I...To the OP...we have hashed this over and over here. Emails, petitions and letters have been sent to HAL. We have done everything humanly possible to make our feelings known. The only thing left to find out is if HAL will allow us to bring on wine, with an unreasonable corkage fee of $20 per bottle brought on. ...

Why is $20 unreasonable? What, according to you, would be a reasonable amount and why?

I was surprised on our recent HAL cruise how very few people on the ship were aware of the new wine policy. The were actually a number of 4 & 5 star Mariners who said this would be enough to drive them away, and, yes, there are other options.

It will be interesting to see the reactions when the new policy is implemented at the end of January.

Too bad they changed it. We love HAL but not enough to sail on if we can't board our own wine.

It's not a secret. You'll see it when you go to do your online check in. It's in the know before you go. I think it's sad that this is something that will drive away long term cruisers and yes I'm a wine drinker. I've seen some people say they would leave but I've yet to see much evidence of it.

As the instigator of the petition to HAL regarding the change in wine policy, the euphoria seeing the OP title followed so quickly by the crash of the text may cause me to take to the fainting couch:p For a few lovely seconds, I thought all was well in the world of HAL again!

There's still time for Seattle to re-work their new policy; there's lots of creative wiggle room.

I cannot imagine that a few extra emails or snail mails to Seattle would hurt (and in my case certainly made me feel a bit better, a bit less steam-rollered) Send a letter if you haven't already, second a second one requesting an update on the policy or offering a creative suggestion to modify the new policy. If you are a stock owner or a Mariner, throw that into the letter too

It is a good idea to keep this issue on the front burner so new people see it; I only learned about it here and honestly probably would never have read the "know before you go" section for the umptiedumpth time before our next HAL cruise.

It takes a long time to turn a cruise ship around and even longer to turn a cruise line, but I think it can be done!

(I know, I know "Clap if you believe in Tinker Bell!" :obut if you care, you have to try!)

Office of the President

300 Elliot Ave West

Seattle, Washington 98119

PH: (206) 626-7393

skruse@hollandamerica.com,

cferris@hollandamerica.com

As the instigator of the petition to HAL regarding the change in wine policy, the euphoria seeing the OP title followed so quickly by the crash of the text may cause me to take to the fainting couch:p For a few lovely seconds, I thought all was well in the world of HAL again!

There's still time for Seattle to re-work their new policy; there's lots of creative wiggle room.

I cannot imagine that a few extra emails or snail mails to Seattle would hurt (and in my case certainly made me feel a bit better, a bit less steam-rollered) Send a letter if you haven't already, second a second one requesting an update on the policy or offering a creative suggestion to modify the new policy. If you are a stock owner or a Mariner, throw that into the letter too

It is a good idea to keep this issue on the front burner so new people see it; I only learned about it here and honestly probably would never have read the "know before you go" section for the umptiedumpth time before our next HAL cruise.

It takes a long time to turn a cruise ship around and even longer to turn a cruise line, but I think it can be done!

(I know, I know "Clap if you believe in Tinker Bell!" :obut if you care, you have to try!)

Office of the President

300 Elliot Ave West

Seattle, Washington 98119

PH: (206) 626-7393

skruse@hollandamerica.com,

cferris@hollandamerica.com

Now THIS is what I call making lemonade out of lemons.:D

It's not a secret. You'll see it when you go to do your online check in. It's in the know before you go. I think it's sad that this is something that will drive away long term cruisers and yes I'm a wine drinker. I've seen some people say they would leave but I've yet to see much evidence of it.

We are living proof! :p Since the announcement, we have quit considering HAL and have, instead, booked Princess and Cunard. If they amend their policy, we will book HAL again.

We are living proof! :p Since the announcement, we have quit considering HAL and have, instead, booked Princess and Cunard. If they amend their policy, we will book HAL again.

Yes... And if I had a nickel for every time you've told us this

I could finally go on a world voyage and scratch one off my bucket list.

Yes... And if I had a nickel for every time you've told us this

I could finally go on a world voyage and scratch one off my bucket list.

Well truth be told, even if I had said it 100 times (which I haven't) that would only be $5.00. Not much of a world cruise. :p

If, however, you could find a HAL world cruise for $5.00 they would let you take as much wine on board as you heart desires. ;)

Why is $20 unreasonable? What, according to you, would be a reasonable amount and why?

Wow....I can't believe I'm in an argument with someone who wants HAL to make $5 more per bottle for corkage than Princess. IMHO, the lowest price possible is reasonable. Why should HAL charge more than Princess??? It's not a more premium line, and it's owned by the same parent company. There--- you have my opinion, according to me!!

BTW, the Wine "Sticky" is still up top...someone mentioned it had been unstuck but it's there now!

That would be me. By golly, it is there (locked).

I thought I saw it released a few months ago after several threads were terminated. Was I hallucinating?

I really think it is impossible for us to see any evidence of cruisers leaving HAL because of the new policy at this point. How are you going to gather your evidence? I only know of one poster who wanted to leave, but has a cruise booked. I was and am upset with the policy, but announced here that HAL hasn't lost me. I don't recall any others. When posters say they are leaving, I believe them---until I see their name on the future cruiser list!

I think we are going to get a bunch of new CC members here starting in mid February, after they find out about the policy. Most people sailing on HAL aren't on CC. Be prepared for lots of drama!

Wow....I can't believe I'm in an argument with someone who wants HAL to make $5 more per bottle for corkage than Princess. IMHO, the lowest price possible is reasonable. Why should HAL charge more than Princess??? It's not a more premium line, and it's owned by the same parent company. There--- you have my opinion, according to me!!

No argument here. Just wanted to know what you considered reasonable. Corkage fees in restaurants often range from $5.00 to $60.00. As a sommelier, I have seen them all.

Edited by taxmantoo