Disappointed with NCL!

rvsullivan

Sorry but your going to boycott ncl because of this? Emotions running high. .. I'm sure your disappointed but if this is the only reason then you might as well stay at home because regardless of the type of vacation. ..there will always be a problem. No such thing as a "perfect" vacation. Keep your present suite. .. Enjoy the cruise. .. I'm sure the room won't make our break a nice week away...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Why not book the suite you want to start with? I could be wrong but it seems that you are trying to game their system if you do this every year. It's not much different than going to Macy's and buying something that comes with a bonus. Say the purchase came with a gift card. Then one looks to exchange it for the same item or a nicer item. You can't keep the gift card of the first purchase and then take advantage of the second offer without loosing the gift card. To not use a company again over this seems a bit much to me. On the other hand I can see how people feel that a cruise line is getting over on them (though I don't agree w that point of view).

Why not book the suite you want to start with? I could be wrong but it seems that you are trying to game their system if you do this every year. It's not much different than going to Macy's and buying something that comes with a bonus. Say the purchase came with a gift card. Then one looks to exchange it for the same item or a nicer item. You can't keep the gift card of the first purchase and then take advantage of the second offer without loosing the gift card. To not use a company again over this seems a bit much to me. On the other hand I can see how people feel that a cruise line is getting over on them (though I don't agree w that point of view).

I don't agree with this analogy at all - first of all, there is no physical product involved, just a reservation for a service to be used at a later time.

Secondly these kind of upgrades are (or at least used to be, as I too said earlier, we have never had any problems doing this and nobody loses anything here) completely normal and just an opposite from people cancelling their bookings just before final payment because they can't make it after all - only in this case the customer has booked what they can afford for sure and then later change the reservation for more expensive option (which would have been just as well entitled to the booking promo as the first option) leaving the cheaper option open for a new customer which is way more likely to sell as the cruise date gets closer.

Comparing this to retail items and exchanging an item with a promo to another without one is like comparing apples and oranges.

I'd talk to my PCC....and I'd always book the room I wanted in the first place. No taking anything away that way.

Be happy you're on a cruise unlike those of us that can't afford one right now. I'd kill to be in an inside cabin at the moment.

This makes total sense to me.

This thread started out with the title.... Disappointed with NCL and I really do think that this thread was started to get the company's attention and not to warn others or to ask questions on how to get this resolved to the satisfaction of the OP. This is not a new tactic. It is well known that cruiselines have someone scan through cruisecritic. What better way to get the attention of the NCL staffer reading cruisecritic then by starting the thread, Disappointed with NCL! Mentioning that they book suites often and threatening to take their money elsewhere was all written to get the attention of NCL. If you think about it a thread such as this is like a letter to the editor in the local newspaper. It reaches the intended audience and their clientele and future clientele and encourages the company to rethink their practice much more than a simple phone call or e-mail to the company would. I am of the opinion that the OP will be calling NCL back next week with or without the encouragement from fellow ccer's.

Edited by Karysa

To me there is a simple solution. NCL sould go back to what the price on the new suite was on the day the OP book and give it to them for that price and leave on the OBC, etc. in place.

No...If I go to a store and purchase item "A" during a sale/promotion, I cannot simply go back weeks or months AFTER the sale/promotion has ended and say "I've changed my mind, I want you to take back item "A" and then let me buy item "B", but give me the same special/promotion from my past purchase.

No...If I go to a store and purchase item "A" during a sale/promotion, I cannot simply go back weeks or months AFTER the sale/promotion has ended and say "I've changed my mind, I want you to take back item "A" and then let me buy item "B", but give me the same special/promotion from my past purchase.

I don't think that NCL has to go back to the purchase date and charge the OP the going rate and promotions that were offered at the time for the suite she is now requesting but if they are good customers and a self admitted NCL Cheerleader then perhaps this would be a good compromise. There is a difference in retail shopping compared to cruise cabins. Its not like she purchased a lawn mower in May and is exchanging it for a snowblower in December. She is talking about two suites on the same ship sailing the same route on the same week after all.

Edited by Karysa

As long as the poster is willing to pay the, I'm guessing, higher price (the price at the time when they booked the other suite), I don't see why NCL wouldn't allow them to and let them keep the perks. If the OP wants a lower price on the suite than when he originally booked, then I feel NCL should take the OBC's away, since they are not being offered at the price now.

To me there is a simple solution. NCL sould go back to what the price on the new suite was on the day the OP book and give it to them for that price and leave on the OBC, etc. in place.

But some obc's are a promotion that are good for only a certain time during certain bookings, dates, etc.

If one changes the booking, date, cabin, etc. and those same OBC's are not being offered at that time I CAN eee why NCL would not move those over to the new booking.

Harriet

We have only cruised a few times with NCL. Cruised a lot with Princess, HAL, Cunard, and Celebrity. Never had any problem upgrading on these lines. Never lost any OBC doing so either.

We actually upgraded a few years ago and with the OBC ended up paying less for the upgrade than originally paid for a lesser cabin. That being said, this is unusual. I really think we need to understand terms and what can happen when we change a reservation any way. That being said, I think NCL should take into consideration the loyalty of a guest and the revenue they are paying. It might not seem right, but business is business.

Also, we have always used a FCC for full deposit on a suite, the lower level suites. This time we used it, but had to give a additional $250 deposit. Has more changed with NCL? The terms & conditions are the same on the old FCC forms and the current. Or ?. :confused:

I used a FCC for the entire deposit on our forward PH for 2015. Granted that was several months ago.

I don't think that NCL has to go back to the purchase date and charge the OP the going rate and promotions that were offered at the time for the suite she is now requesting but if they are good customers and a self admitted NCL Cheerleader then perhaps this would be a good compromise. There is a difference in retail shopping compared to cruise cabins. Its not like she purchased a lawn mower in May and is exchanging it for a snowblower in December. She is talking about two suites on the same ship sailing the same route on the same week after all.

Now if only they wanted to switch while under the terms of the same promotion, you would have a valid point. However, the sale is over and it is not reasonabe to expect the sale price to still be made available to you.

Now if only they wanted to switch while under the terms of the same promotion, you would have a valid point. However, the sale is over and it is not reasonabe to expect the sale price to still be made available to you.

OP didn't have any sale OBC, only Latitudes OBC (for booking a specific cruise which would stay unchanged) and suite OBC (for which the original requirement would also stay unchanged).

Edited by Demonyte

OP didn't have any sale OBC, only Latitudes OBC (for booking a specific cruise which would stay unchanged) and suite OBC (for which the original requirement would also stay unchanged).

Sorry, you are clearly confused. I didn't mention OBC. You are obviously responding to someone else.

However, since you've opened that can of worms...IF NCL waived their published cancellation policies and allowed the OP to cancel the current stateroom and rebook a new stateroom, the OP would only be entitled to the same pricing/promos/OBC that would be available to anyone else making a new booking today for the same sailing. Offers that WERE available in the past, should not apply unless they are ongoing.

After being what some consider an NCL "cheerleader" for several years, today was a huge disappointment. We have booked a suite again almost a year in advance and today I attempted to upgrade at full price to a higher level suite. After an hour on the phone with both a rep and a supervisor, they want to revoke both my suite OBC and Latitudes OBC in addition to the upgrade cost. We have booked suites for the last several years and have always moved up to a higher level during the year. We always pay the difference and keep all existing suite perks. This year NCL is standing firm. The loss of OBC almost doubles the cost of the upgrade and makes it not worthwhile.

For the first time ever, I guess our next cruise will be with the competition. Never thought we would see that day!!!:(

I wish I had selected cancel for any reason insurance, but unfortunately that's not the case. We will take this cruise, but I guess no more.

To the OP

The question still has not been answered:

Regarding the Suite you now wish to book, Is the price any different than what it was the day you originally booked the suite you currently have?

If so, is the price higher or lower, and by how much?

To the OP

The question still has not been answered:

Regarding the Suite you now wish to book, Is the price any different than what it was the day you originally booked the suite you currently have?

If so, is the price higher or lower, and by how much?

Good question!! How would I know? I don't think NCL lists prices from last year?

As long as the poster is willing to pay the, I'm guessing, higher price (the price at the time when they booked the other suite), I don't see why NCL wouldn't allow them to and let them keep the perks. If the OP wants a lower price on the suite than when he originally booked, then I feel NCL should take the OBC's away, since they are not being offered at the price now.

Because NCL does it as a 'cancel'. The old one is gone, Now its a completely NEW booking and everything that was on the previous reservation does NOT carry over the NEW booking. So if the OBC is not offered at the time on the NEW booking ...there is NO OBC to get. Also by doing a 'pay' ugrade and you originally booked more than 9 months in advance you will lose those lattitudes points as well.

Because NCL does it as a 'cancel'. The old one is gone, Now its a completely NEW booking and everything that was on the previous reservation does NOT carry over the NEW booking. So if the OBC is not offered at the time on the NEW booking ...there is NO OBC to get. Also by doing a 'pay' ugrade and you originally booked more than 9 months in advance you will lose those lattitudes points as well.

Yes, I realize that. I'm just saying there is a way that is a win win for both parties, without NCL giving the store away.

We were on the Epic about 3 weeks ago. Had seen before we left that the price had dropped. Also had $100 OBC. Was told that if I took the lower price or upgraded to a different cabin, would lose OBC. Wasn't worth making the change. Wont sail on NCL again. Terrible cruise!

Other than the cabin, what else was wrong with the cruise?

Also by doing a 'pay' ugrade and you originally booked more than 9 months in advance you will lose those lattitudes points as well.

In my experience, this is not the case. Upgraded from a BA to an SF 31 days before sailing and still received the "9 months" Latitudes points.

Something has changed recently. NCL is not treating suite " Bookings" as kindly as they used to . I too have had a few issues these past few months.

We book nothing but suites and when making changes to current bookings NCL "was" always VERY helpful and accommodating .

Im not sure what its all about but they had better address it soon because it is being noticed by those of us that book suites on a regular basis .

My guess is , some pencil pusher got the ear of Mr Sheehan or some other top brass and convinced him he could make a few extra bucks by reaching a little deeper into our pockets . Not so .

Still booked for March but cancelled Christmas for similar reasons as rsullivan is having. Not worth the fight . The Riviera Maya it is . ;)

NCL , your serve .

Just wanted to let everyone know that after an hour long phone call with NCL this morning, all is taken care of. NCL management/supervisors took care of all of our issues and we're sailing in a few days. Happy campers!!! Thanks for all the feedback both pro and con. Spirited conversation for sure.;):D:D:D:D

Just wanted to let everyone know that after an hour long phone call with NCL this morning, all is taken care of. NCL management/supervisors took care of all of our issues and we're sailing in a few days. Happy campers!!! Thanks for all the feedback both pro and con. Spirited conversation for sure.;):D:D:D:D

Glad to hear it. Should not have been that difficult but holiday weekends are not the best time to do anything that requires anything special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim