Soooo.... How was Eclipse's first Disembark of the season ? With a HOT tip (11/30/13)

Andy

I thought Luggage Valet is only a program for people who are flying and want their luggage to go directly to the airport!? Would not work for someone who is not flying.

Correct. We will be flying out of FLL when Eclipse disembarks on Jan 11 which is why I asked.

Welcome Home Andy,

Like many of us on also have experienced a horrible time 2 years ago on the Constellation at this same terminal and vowed to do things better. Seems like the issue has not improved. I am on the Eclipse in Feb and feel that self debark may be the way to go to make this less of a hassle. Any tips on self debark at this location?

Bill

Hi Andy,

Welcome back! Missed not being onboard with you this year. Sounds like everything was good.

Regarding the disembark problem. I have found that filling out the questionnaire and indicating you need to get off early always works! That way, you get a much lower number and an early departure time. Pretty much ignore the departure time but my luggage is always there when I finally get off. :D

Next year in Miami will be MUCH better!! They do it right and have much more space to deal with. FLL is just a mess, as we all know.

We are staying over in FLL and were planning on being some of the last to disembark since I'm sure our hotel room won't be ready for us.

Are you saying we should still ask for early disembark and then just ignore the announcements and get off towards the end? (I was really hoping to stay on board until at least 10 or so.)

We are staying over in FLL and were planning on being some of the last to disembark since I'm sure our hotel room won't be ready for us.

Are you saying we should still ask for early disembark and then just ignore the announcements and get off towards the end? (I was really hoping to stay on board until at least 10 or so.)

Absolutely! Go sit on the back deck and enjoy. :)

Hi David,

My guess is, luggage valet would have helped - though you would think that's tough to do on a 14 day cruis. The onboard personnel make it very clear that you must carry off the luggage on your own.

As for post cruise excursions - we've never done them as we reside in South FL, but I'm sure they make provisions for those on Celebrity excursions.

Andy, I used the luggage valet program on that very cruise last year and it was wonderful. I placed my checked bag outside my door the night before and didn't see it until I got to Minneapolis the next day. The only luggage I had with me was my carryon. So I don't know why the onboard personnel would have told you that you have to carry the luggage off on your own.

Linda

Andy, I used the luggage valet program on that very cruise last year and it was wonderful. I placed my checked bag outside my door the night before and didn't see it until I got to Minneapolis the next day. The only luggage I had with me was my carryon. So I don't know why the onboard personnel would have told you that you have to carry the luggage off on your own.

Linda

Luggage Valet works great if you are flying! Andy and his Mom were not flying.........they live just up the road. You can't use Luggage Valet unless you are flying, so no use to them. :D

Edited by gimletgal

So, two questions.

First, is this disembark problem for all Celebrity cruises ending up in Ft. Lauderdale, or only certain terminals there? I am planning to take Equinox to Ft Lauderdale on a TA in October 2014.

Second, if I have carryon bags only (and I will), is it any easier?

Thanks,

- Joel

We were on this same cruise with Andy (hi Andy). We did walk off and it could not have been easier. Off the ship at 7:30. They even had strong guys to assist with luggage from deck 3 to deck 2 via the stairs. They also used 3 elevators, but using both methods really sped things up. Through the terminal, customs, shuttled to Park an' Go, and driving on 595 by 8:05. Does not get better than that!

Barb

We were on this same cruise with Andy (hi Andy). We did walk off and it could not have been easier. Off the ship at 7:30. They even had strong guys to assist with luggage from deck 3 to deck 2 via the stairs. They also used 3 elevators, but using both methods really sped things up. Through the terminal, customs, shuttled to Park an' Go, and driving on 595 by 8:05. Does not get better than that!

Barb

Sounds great,Barb! Welcome home!

Hi Chamima,

Yes, you can stay onboard until last call. Shouldnt be a problem at all. Hope this helps !

Is this a Celebrity problem? We will be sailing on Princess in January from Ft. Lauderdale. Do they have a different setup? [Hope, hope]

Thankfully we have this Celebrity cruise booked for next year, when it will be using Miami!

Andy - so sorry that you had such a terrible ending to your cruise. This was bad enough to you, an experienced cruiser -- but how many first-time cruisers must experience this and say "Never again." Celebrity is shooting themselves (and all other cruise lines) in the foot with this long-standing problem.

Is this a Celebrity problem? We will be sailing on Princess in January from Ft. Lauderdale. Do they have a different setup? [Hope, hope]

Thankfully we have this Celebrity cruise booked for next year, when it will be using Miami!

Andy - so sorry that you had such a terrible ending to your cruise. This was bad enough to you, an experienced cruiser -- but how many first-time cruisers must experience this and say "Never again." Celebrity is shooting themselves (and all other cruise lines) in the foot with this long-standing problem.

Thanks for the tips, Andy. But bad news not just for RCI/Celebrity pax but all (sorry jazzbeau!) We disembarked in FLL (Port Everglades) from Princess TA end of Oct this year and it was an awful experience. We were delayed over 1-1/2 hours from our original disembarkation time (they blamed US Customs and Immigration; we didn't believe they didn't know) and then, altho our luggage was there, nary a porter was to be found. We were finally told we had to go nearly out the door and join a massive line -- to get a porter. This made no sense, as it was as far as walking with our bags, so we humped them over. DH's back was out for days after. Sorry, I do not remember the terminal # but think this is an all over problem for Port Everglades. Agree that the cruise lines have to negotiate/cajole/fix this. Doesn't matter whose fault it is -- they know it's a problem that affects their guests and those all important final impressions-- and it must be rectified. We are cruising on Eclipse over New Years this year, and hope our numbers are lower and experience better than Andy's -- and wheelchairless.

Andy -- can one just request a lower # from the purser desk -- as we have on Princess with their color tags?

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the tips, Andy. But bad news not just for RCI/Celebrity pax but all (sorry jazzbeau!) We disembarked in FLL (Port Everglades) from Princess TA end of Oct this year and it was an awful experience. We were delayed over 1-1/2 hours from our original disembarkation time (they blamed US Customs and Immigration; we didn't believe they didn't know) and then, altho our luggage was there, nary a porter was to be found. We were finally told we had to go nearly out the door and join a massive line -- to get a porter. This made no sense, as it was as far as walking with our bags, so we humped them over. DH's back was out for days after. Sorry, I do not remember the terminal # but think this is an all over problem for Port Everglades. Agree that the cruise lines have to negotiate/cajole/fix this. Doesn't matter whose fault it is -- they know it's a problem that affects their guests and those all important final impressions-- and it must be rectified. We are cruising on Eclipse over New Years this year, and hope our numbers are lower and experience better than Andy's -- and wheelchairless.

Andy -- can one just request a lower # from the purser desk -- as we have on Princess with their color tags?

The Princess ship came into Terminal 4....there was limited CBP staffing. CBP had to deploy agents to areas (ports) hit by Super Storm Sandy. My boyfriend had to go...so yes, debark ran behind...

We also debarked Eclipse Sat. Nov. 30th. We used luggage valet. It worked great. We were given a debark code of AAAA, and could debark anytime from 8:10 to 10:15. ( after the self debarkation was called).

We left the ship around eight thirty and it took about twenty minitues to clear customs and get a cab. Not bad at all. Luggage arrived at final destination ( Phoenix and Chattanooga) for us both in good condition.

Connie

Andy

Great reporting - thank you

I think we sailed with you on Enchantment last year?

Is it possible to request low luggage numbers?

How would you go about this please?

Thanks

Hi The Mommy & Bellasorella,

You may request lower luggage tag numbers by asking Guest Relations. To be on the safe side, I'd suggest making the request a few days before your cruise ends, as things tend to get very hectic for the GR team, as you near the end of your sailing.

Hope this is helpful !

Edited by Host Andy

[quote name='jazzbeau']Is this a Celebrity problem? We will be sailing on Princess in January from Ft. Lauderdale. Do they have a different setup? [Hope, hope]

[/quote]

Hi Jazzbeau,

Unfortunately, we hear negative reports from all cruise lines and many terminals at Port Everglades. We've only sailed on Princess a few times, and not in the last 5 years or so. That I can recall, our Caribbean Princess embark was horrible, and the disembark was not much better. The general exception to the rule, is Pier 18 - which is state of the art, and we've never had a bad experience at this pier, since she was upgraded a few years ago. If only all the terminals at PEV were like Pier 18 ? Well, I suspect our concerns would be minimal. Edited by Host Andy

[quote name='jazzbeau']Andy - so sorry that you had such a terrible ending to your cruise. This was bad enough to you, an experienced cruiser -- but how many first-time cruisers must experience this and say "Never again." Celebrity is shooting themselves (and all other cruise lines) in the foot with this long-standing problem.[/quote]

Hi Jazzbeau,

Thank you for your comments. I'd like to clarify a few things. Perhaps my initial post was not as clear as I thought it was, as I was in a hurry to post.

My intent was to say that the disembark was actually quite good, other than the unnecessary delay after we departed the ship, and the 1 piece of broken luggage, which of course, was one of my better pieces, and from a matched set LOL. I will call Celebrity about the luggage today, and see what they have to say.

In all honesty, had Mom not required wheelchair assistance, [I][B]which was handled to perfection from the ship to the terminal[/B][/I]... we probably would have breezed through the debark, which is what I observed by the countless others passing by us :). The worst part, was Mom getting very upset, which seriously rattled me, due to her age. Other than that, I would have been quite happy with the debark, as it was MUCH better than our experiences from last season. Even with the hiccups, I was fairly pleased, especially as compared to last season.

My initial comments were intended to be favorable, as there was many positive observations - notably a small line outside the ship, which has always been a huge problem, and a constant source of delays and frustration. However, as many others share their comments and thoughts on this thread, things tend to get a bit muddied in the process.

Overall, I'd grade Celebrity a B+ for the disembark - taking off a bit for the issues previously mentioned. Had it not been for the 2 issues, the debark could have easily been an A or A+. Overall, I'd say it's good news for those sailing on Eclipse this season.

Hope this is helpful ! Edited by Host Andy

[quote name='Host Andy']Hi Jazzbeau,

Unfortunately, we hear negative reports from all cruise lines and many terminals at Port Everglades. We've only sailed on Princess a few times, and not in the last 5 years or so. That I can recall, our Caribbean Princess embark was horrible, and the disembark was not much better. The general exception to the rule, is Pier 18 - which is state of the art, and we've never had a bad experience at this pier, since she was upgraded a few years ago. If only all the terminals at PEV were like Pier 18 ? Well, I suspect our concerns would be minimal.[/quote]

Per Port Everglades Press Release:
There are 5 recently renovated cruise terminals (2, 18, 19, 21, & 26). Terminal 4 starts renovations in early 2014. Leaving Terminal 25 & 29...which when the Port renews their agreement with RCI the terminals will be upgraded.
[URL]http://webapps.broward.org/newsrelease/AdminDisplayMessages.aspx?intMessageId=4776[/URL]

[URL]http://webapps.broward.org/newsrelease/AdminDisplayMessages.aspx?intMessageId=4150[/URL]

[quote name='foflocruiser']Per Port Everglades Press Release:
There are 5 recently renovated cruise terminals (2, 18, 19, 21, & 26). Terminal 4 starts renovations in early 2014. Leaving Terminal 25 & 29...which when the Port renews their agreement with RCI the terminals will be upgraded.
[URL]http://webapps.broward.org/newsrelease/AdminDisplayMessages.aspx?intMessageId=4776[/URL]

[URL]http://webapps.broward.org/newsrelease/AdminDisplayMessages.aspx?intMessageId=4150[/URL][/quote]

Precisely.....#25 & 29 are getting noticeably more negative reactions from the cruising public, very consistantly....and this situation will remain unchanged until these two terminals get upgraded ,same as #2,18,21 &26 were last year....and of course #18 has simply been rebuilt to accomodate the ''Benemoth of the Seas''....which books #18 every saturday and sunday.
What I don't understand: why is RCL [I]not[/I] using #18 during other days when their brands have a ship in port ? Example;Liberty of the Seas on Mondays and the occasionnal Friday...always get #25 !!

We all have to ''scuk it up'' as far as #25 & 29....they're simply ''past-dated'' to deal with such ships as the Freedom c& Solstice class....

[quote name='c-legs']Precisely.....#25 & 29 are getting noticeably more negative reactions from the cruising public, very consistantly....and this situation will remain unchanged until these two terminals get upgraded ,same as #2,18,21 &26 were last year....and of course #18 has simply been rebuilt to accomodate the ''Benemoth of the Seas''....which books #18 every saturday and sunday.
What I don't understand: why is RCL [I]not[/I] using #18 during other days when their brands have a ship in port ? Example;Liberty of the Seas on Mondays and the occasionnal Friday...always get #25 !!

We all have to ''scuk it up'' as far as #25 & 29....they're simply ''past-dated'' to deal with such ships as the Freedom c& Solstice class....[/quote]

Terminal 18 is a much bigger terminal to staff = $ Cruise line security, porters, etc.
Terminal 25 & 29 will get upgraded...just have to wait until current agreement gets renewed... Its coming...