Rome and Florence hotel recommendations

Ruthie2

I am looking for recommendations for hotels in Rome and Florence that are well located and affordable.

Thanks

Read through some pages on this board as there is a ton of info re hotels in Rome and some in Florence as well. Also check out Venere.com for cost and areas in these cities. Also you may want to check out the stick at the top of the page re info on going to Europe for info.

"Affordable" means different things to different folks (and can also vary wildly by season). Europe is expensive if you want to be in the center of things.

It would be easier if you could provide an acceptable price range and the timing of your visit.

In Florence we always stay at the delightful La Residenza , and in Rome at Hotel Smeraldo . Both in great locations within easy walking distance of most sights. Both well priced. Book on line via hotel websites to avoid paying middleman commissions .

Thanks for the information. We will be in Rome and Florence at the beginning of September. We were hoping to find hotels in the mid to high $100's or low $200's.

I have been on Trip Advisor and there are many hotels there but it can be confusing but I thought I could get other information on this site.

I will look into La Residenza and Hotel Smeralda.

Thanks for the information. We will be in Rome and Florence at the beginning of September. We were hoping to find hotels in the mid to high $100's or low $200's.

I have been on Trip Advisor and there are many hotels there but it can be confusing but I thought I could get other information on this site.

If you can narrow an area as to where you may want to stay in either city especially Rome you can then check out hotels in those area's by price,what they offer and a map as to what is close by.If you have not been to Rome before it may be worth your while to read atravel guide or two to see what interest you may want to see.The Smeraldo is a really nice little hotel.Just know that rooms can be VERY small in a lot of hotels. Rome can be very $$$$,and Sept is still season.

How many nights in Rome? We just stayed there for 3 nights in November and had a beautiful apartment at 100 Euros a night. You may want to consider that option also. Was close to 600 sq ft in size which is huge compared to most hotel rooms i stayed in Europe. One block from the Campo Dei Fiori area. Our friends spent 4 nights in the Hotel Smeraldo which is maybe 4 blocks form our apartment. Both are in a priime area. Larry

Edited by softail

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at Domus Alberti B&B in Rome and Hotel Dali in Florence. Our budget was $2k for 14 nights. Both were more B&B or guest houses - no 24 hr. front desk, but inexpensive, clean, and well located. We only sleep at hotels, so clean and no frills worked for us.

Don't know what went wrong but for Rome it's Hotel Delle ****oni.

It just wouldn't let me type in. Here it is: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d229102-Reviews-Hotel_delle_****oni-Rome_Lazio.html

Nothing went wrong on your end; Cruise Critic censors the name of the German political party that is spelled out by the first four letters of this hotel's name. (Tough luck for this hotel! The censoring has also caused some issues in posts in the Baltics forum discussing tours in Germany.)

Hotel Sonya is a three star hotel located directly in the very heart of Rome – just steps away from all the major cultural attractions – the Spanish Steps, Veneto Street, Capitoline Hill.

Standing directly in front of the Opera Theater and just a few minuets from the Termini Train Station. It was a hotel recommend by Rick Steves the author of Europe thru the Back Door, they have a lovely breakfast and it was 80 Euro a night.

Hotel Sonya is a three star hotel located directly in the very heart of Rome – just steps away from all the major cultural attractions – the Spanish Steps, Veneto Street, Capitoline Hill.

Standing directly in front of the Opera Theater and just a few minuets from the Termini Train Station. It was a hotel recommend by Rick Steves the author of Europe thru the Back Door, they have a lovely breakfast and it was 80 Euro a night.

I've stayed at Hotel Sonya, and while I agree it is a nice budget hotel, I wouldn't consider it to be "directly in the very heart of Rome". It is located near Termini, while the heart of the Centro Storico (historic center) is basically the area from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona. (I tend to think of the Pantheon as the center.)

The area immediately near the hotel isn't as pleasant to walk or stroll around at night. However, if one wants to be convenient to the train station and is only looking at perhaps one night, it's not a bad choice.

Rome - Hotel Pomezia near Campo Fiori, very central. Easy walking distance to St Peters, Castel de St Angelo, Piazza Farnesse, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Patheon .

Firenze - Hotel La Residenza within walking distance of everything.

Book both via Hotel websites to avoid paying middleman commissions.

We stayed at the Hotel Abruzzi in Rome last month. Located directly across from the Pantheon, with most rooms looking out directly onto the Pantheon. Fantastic location, reasonable price with breakfast included. Booked on their website, so also got Wi-Fi included. I would definitely stay here again.

Nothing went wrong on your end; Cruise Critic censors the name of the German political party that is spelled out by the first four letters of this hotel's name. (Tough luck for this hotel! The censoring has also caused some issues in posts in the Baltics forum discussing tours in Germany.)

Ah! That's why! Thank you!

Love the Hotel Barocco at Piazza Barberini in Rome. Cleanest and best hotel in Europe IMO. Not the cheapest, though;) but worth every cent, especially the fantastic breakfasts with delicious made to order eggs, omelets, and cappuccinos!

Edited by ptrpanpens