Spring 2014 repositioning - E Coast to Europe

jkgourmet

We did a repositioning cruise several years ago, spending 19 days on HAL going from NYC to Seattle through the Panama Canal. It was our favorite cruise.

So now we are considering doing one this spring, going from the East Coast to Europe (husband has not been to Europe, except for England). He has limited ability to walk long distances, and we generally spend a limited time visiting museums, cathedrals, or historic ruins. We are retired (70 and 57) and can easily get away for 14-25 days. We do not have enough frequent flyer miles for any free plane fare.

We have been on a dozen or so cruises, have always booked and been perfectly happy with an inside guarantee. As we do enjoy wine and cocktails, cruise lines that have some kind of discount program (especially prepaid) for alcohol is especially attractive. (this was a big reason we enjoyed a recent Celebrity cruise).

Our experiences with Carnival, RCCL, Princess and NCL were not as positive as the multiple trips we have taken on HAL and Celebrity. HOWEVER, those were 7-10 day cruises, often out of ports that would generate families with children or serious bargain hunters. With that in mind, we would consider those lines again. But let's be real: We're not doing rock climbing walls, ice skating or zip lining, and will feel quite out of place with those who are really into those activities. We're not spa people, and frankly, would prefer a vacation without lots of kids (but the length of these cruises should solve that issue). That said, we're mentally and socially very active, and can party with the best of them.

Our priorities are price, good food (but we're reasonable in our expectations), activities that do not require a lot of physical exercise, an inside swimming pool. The ability to pre-pay for everything (liquor, tips, any special restaurants) is a very attractive to us as I tend to worry about the money as we go along. If we know up front what the price is, we both relax and enjoy.

And since the prices for wine and liquor are no longer bargains on cruise ships, any program that somehow minimizes that cost would be very attractive.

Edited by jkgourmet

Hi,

I guess you are asking for suggestions...If you enjoyed Celebrity, you might want to look at their itineraries first...they will have 6 ships re-positioning from the East Coast to Europe in April 2014 (ranging from 13-16 nights in length)...but then there are also, Azamara, Oceania, HAL, Royal Carib., Princess, NCL and others...(I think the Celebrity Reflection has a great itinerary with stops in the Canary Islands, several stops in Spain, then Nice, Florence and ending in Rome)

Enjoy deciding !!

Woody

Edited by rwr235

We are doing Oceania in May that includes Canadian ports before the crossing & Ireland before Dover disembarkation

Leaves from NYC

No indoor pool... if that is a must then it will not be for you

Edited by LHT28

My thinking on the indoor pool is based on the fact that with a repositioning cruise, it will be too cold to sit outdoors for long periods of time. We enjoy sitting somewhere where we feel like we're on vacation, and poolside fits that description.

Am I thinking wrongly about this?

My thinking on the indoor pool is based on the fact that with a repositioning cruise, it will be too cold to sit outdoors for long periods of time. We enjoy sitting somewhere where we feel like we're on vacation, and poolside fits that description.

Am I thinking wrongly about this?

An indoor pool is important that time of year. Celebrity ships have no-charge salt water spa pools which are great. HAL ships have covered pools, which are generally useable in all weather. Both lines have the quality food, service and accomodations you have described as important. (We are mid-70's and have similar priorities)

We are doing a TA on the New Amderstam from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona this coming year in April.

Ref deals on liquor or wine... most wines aboard are poor quality and expensive. We probably will order a bottle of scotch from ship services, buy beer on board and carry on two bottles of wine. That will pretty much do us for the 14 day crossing. HAL no longer allows one to bring on wine from ports of call. Don't know to what extent that will be enforced in Europe, it is a new policy.

Indoor pools (unless in extra charge spas) seem to be getting more and more rare. This could make finding a cruise more difficult if it is an absolute "must".

Celebrity has them. The Constellation even has an indoor T Pool that has no extra charge. RCI has in door pools too. (at least they do on radiance class and voyager class-I don't do monster ships) Both lines have covered solarium pool areas.

Princess does not on their Grand class. HAL's older ships have a retractable solarium roof. Their newer ships do not but they have the pay extra T-pool. NCL does not have covered pools except for their newer ships which have the pay extra T pools.

Princess does not on their Grand class.

This isn't completely true. The older Princess Grand class ships have a covered pool. That includes the Grand, Star, and Golden Princesses. Also the Sapphire and Diamond (slightly different from the Grand class) have covered pools.

Edited by cruisemom42

This isn't completely true. The older Princess Grand class ships have a covered pool. That includes the Grand, Star, and Golden Princesses. Also the Sapphire and Diamond (slightly different from the Grand class) have covered pools.

I was on the Grand in October. It was cool and they never covered the pool. They did give us blankets for watching the movies though in the evening. I never even swam as it was not warm enough for my southern blood.. Are you sure this is still true? The Grand was refurbished last year. She did look very beautiful. I found her much nicer than the Caribbean Princess was in 2006. It was hard to believe that ship was over 10 years old. (except for our mattresses-they needed to be replaced. I guess that was forgotten in the refurbish.)

What a fun trip!

Looks like the deciding factor will be a covered pool. Find a ship with that and then book! The things you are worried about(families, kids, partiers) will not be an issue on a longer repositioning cruise to Europe.

I was on the Grand in October. It was cool and they never covered the pool. They did give us blankets for watching the movies though in the evening. I never even swam as it was not warm enough for my southern blood.. Are you sure this is still true? The Grand was refurbished last year. She did look very beautiful. I found her much nicer than the Caribbean Princess was in 2006. It was hard to believe that ship was over 10 years old. (except for our mattresses-they needed to be replaced. I guess that was forgotten in the refurbish.)

Truthfully I don't know what may have changed after the refurb. But the Grand was designed with a pool that could be covered. I agree with you: I also like the original Grand-class ships better than the ones from the Caribbean Princess onward.

(And I've always found the mattresses to be less than great on Princess, unfortunately. It's one reason I now sail less with them.)

Actually, if you pop over to the HAL board, I think you'll find that they have discontinued allowing passengers to bring wine aboard everywhere. Embarkation AND ports of call....

IIRC, HAL does permit each cruiser to bring on one bottle of wine at embarkation.

Scott & Karen

Truthfully I don't know what may have changed after the refurb. But the Grand was designed with a pool that could be covered. I agree with you: I also like the original Grand-class ships better than the ones from the Caribbean Princess onward.

(And I've always found the mattresses to be less than great on Princess, unfortunately. It's one reason I now sail less with them.)

I guess it really does not matter as she is not doing Europe for a while for sure. She is on the west coat until spring 2015.

I have fibromyalgia so I need a comfortable bed. It would not matter as much if the port was an easy drive. I could bring my own memory foam pad but that just does not work if I need to fly to port.

We recently cruised HAL's Eurodam and were greatly disappointed. First of all, there's HAL's smoking policy. They still have one of the more liberal smoking policies. Then, we did not like the layout of the ship. We found the interiors to be dark, and the hallways on the public decks to be very narrow. We also didn't care for the food in either the MDR or specialty restaurants.

My recommendation would be any Celebrity S Class ship.

You know, there was a solarium on the Grand Princess. I am not sure if the ceiling retracted as it was covered the whole week. Duh me, I was thinking of the movie under the stars area,this area was closer to the buffet restaurant. I ate in that area several times. Although, as I said I never swam that week. Sometimes I do not know where my mind is anymore.