Cape Liberty Help Please

BonnieSte

You can start checking in around 10, so you should be fine. But they typically will not start boarding until 11:00, and that is done by shuttle bus from the terminal to the ship (about a block transit). They run them continuously in order of priority boarding - suites first (with top tier C & A)followed by C & A tier. They will issue a boarding sequence number to you when you check in which will be called in order.

I don't think your friends will be able to enter the terminal as you need to show your ID and cruise docs to enter and go through security and check in to get to the waiting area.

Once the boarding process begins you shouldn't have too long a wait until you can board one of the shuttle buses.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I don't think your friends will be able to enter the terminal as you need to show your ID and cruise docs to enter and go through security and check in to get to the waiting area.

Once the boarding process begins you shouldn't have too long a wait until you can board one of the shuttle buses.

They are sailing with us. It is their first time cruising :)

You also need to consider it will take time to actually get off the plane, collect your bags etc , you may want to get some thing to eat at the airport before leaving for the port as well. When you add all that up , your arrival time won't be so early

Just sailed Nov 23rd. Arrived before 10 and were able to go right into the waiting area. Unfortunately we did not start boarding until sometime after 12. I saw on our disembarkation schedule that the last group doesnt get called off the ship until 11:45 - 12:00, so that's probably why we didnt get on til later. BUT it was worth sitting and waiting because we were among the very first to board.

Cape Liberty is the only port where we haven't been allowed to wait with our friends (we were Platinum @ time, they were first timers) even though we were willing to be in their area (in other words declined priority boarding). Agent at door was very rude about it too:(.

Didn't change over all cruise experience any, but I felt like a criminal slipping out of the Priority lounge to go check on my friends:o. Just my experience.

In your situation, I would head right over to the port after you collect your luggage. By the time you check in, it'll almost be time to board. If not, there is a waiting room with refreshments (cookies and beverages). We've always been on the ship by 11:30am enjoying lunch in the Windjammer before the ship got crowded.

I wouldn't worry too much about priority boarding. In our experience, the lines are usually equally long. We often just go on the regular line even though we are entitled to priority boarding because the wait time there is less.

Edited by DonnaK

Is checked luggage turned over to porters before boarding the shuttle to the ship or do you have to drag all of your luggage all the way to the ship? Also do you have to take laptops & cpap machines out of the cases like you do at the airport.

Is checked luggage turned over to porters before boarding the shuttle to the ship or do you have to drag all of your luggage all the way to the ship? Also do you have to take laptops & cpap machines out of the cases like you do at the airport.

You will leave your luggage with the porters before you even check in for the cruise. I have a friend who travels with us and I don't remember her having to take her CPAP machine out - it does have to go through the xray machine though:)

The Explorer doesn't dock until 8:00am. As a result disembarkation runs later than other ships. It is spread out so there is no back up at the buses.

Boarding starts at different times depending on whether or not there is a wedding scheduled while in port. If there is, the wedding party and guests board first(they aren't always on time). Then, usually, those needing assistance(handicapped, strollers etc.) board. This is followed by suites and high level C&A.

As for your friends boarding with you. Sometimes they let you and sometimes they don't. On my last Explorer cruise, I was allowed to take 5 new cruisers with me to priority boarding.

Enjoy your cruise.

Usually what time do the buses start taking passengers back to the terminal after arrival(if ship is on-time)? If friends are GOLD and we are PLATINUM, can we get off together as we will have a private car waiting for us(or at least after we call them for pick up).otherwise, what the best way to handle it?

On our November Explorer cruise we shared a table for lunch at the windjammer with someone who was priority. His wife was waiting at a designated place for their friends who were not priority and were not allowed to board with them. Be prepared with a meeting place.

Group 6 boarded at 12.

Usually what time do the buses start taking passengers back to the terminal after arrival(if ship is on-time)? If friends are GOLD and we are PLATINUM, can we get off together as we will have a private car waiting for us(or at least after we call them for pick up).otherwise, what the best way to handle it?

You can always get off later than your luggage tag time. On other words, you can wait and get off with your friends.

You can always get off later than your luggage tag time. On other words, you can wait and get off with your friends.

Bob is correct about this. However for the EX I think the best thing to do is for all of you to visit guest services early on to arrange for all of you to have the same disembarkation group.

The general pecking order for Cape Liberty seems to be:

1). self disembarkation

2) priority for diamond + and diamond; people with early flights

3) cruise bus

4) everyone else at staggered times

The same principle works for embarkation. If you get two different numbers, all of you can wait until the higher number is called. I have been taking the cruise bus to Cape Liberty and usually don't arrive until after the boarding process has started. As a diamond I have been given a lower number and have been able to walk right on to the shuttle because my number has already been called.