Cost to Upgrade Drinks Package on Board?

tine-tine

Does anyone have personal experience of upgrading the package on board and the charges? I was initially going to wait until on board to upgrade but I am now hearing mixed messages about being more expensive on board, then some people coming back saying it cost the same to upgrade on board. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks WestLakeGirl, thank you for your speedy reply. I had a look at his post for HostAndy - Almost Live from Eclipse!!! He posted the following:

For CulverCityCruisers, and those who asked about the Premium upgrade, I was advised it's 10.00 per person, per day (plus gratuity), which I believe works out to 11.50 pp per day. I hope this is helpful !

Is the $10 plus gratuity higher than the pre cruise price? I thought that was the pre cruise price or is it $5 pre cruise and $10 on board? I am in the UK so the $'s are a bit confusing to start with!

Just on the Silhouette and the cost to upgrade was the same $11.50

HostAndy agrees.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40781205&postcount=84

xpost.

edit:

the comparison sheet you need is

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/celebrity-cruises-beverage-packages-price-flyer.pdf

Edited by insidecabin

Can you upgrade at any bar? or do you do it when you check in? Thanks

The beverage package signs were out for most of the cruise on our trip

seems to be any bar any time they are open.

if prebooked you get PALL on your cruise card if an upgrade I think you get asticker.

if you get the 123 clasic and upgrade you seesm to get CALLPALL(or something similar) on your card.

Another difference is if you purchase or upgrade on board, the cost is charged to your sea pass account. If you purchase or upgrade before the cruise, it is charged directly to your credit card as your sea pass account doesn't yet exist. The difference may be important depending on the amount of your OBC.

Another difference is if you purchase or upgrade on board, the cost is charged to your sea pass account. If you purchase or upgrade before the cruise, it is charged directly to your credit card as your sea pass account doesn't yet exist. The difference may be important depending on the amount of your OBC.

That's exactly why Celebrity is charging a surcharge on board. When it was always the same price, the only reason to do so ahead of time was peace of mind, so I think a lot if not most would book on board. Now folks with hundreds of dollars of OBC from various promos or travel agents will spend in restaurants instead of the alcohol package, or get less for their money with the drink package.

I'm glad Andy confirmed it's still $11.50 to upgrade on board.

Edited by Gig103
Wording

That's exactly why Celebrity is charging a surcharge on board. When it was always the same price, the only reason to do so ahead of time was peace of mind, so I think a lot if not most would book on board. Now folks with hundreds of dollars of OBC from various promos or travel agents will spend in restaurants instead of the alcohol package, or get less for their money with the drink package.

I'm glad Andy confirmed it's still $11.50 to upgrade on board.

After further re-reading of my post and your answer, I may have mis-stated the issue. I believe the upgrade price remains the same. It is the purchase on aboard that has changed. It used to be that people would wait, going on board and seeing what they are consuming for a few days before deciding to purchase. Even though the purchase on board is pro-rated for the remaining days, doing so now will result in a higher per day charge. Sorry if I confused the matter. :o

Wouldn't it just make things so much easier and clearer if Celebrity would just publish an explicit, definitive statement regarding upgrade costs and policies for their drink packages? The topic of prices to upgrade prior to vs after cruise commencement is consuming far too much space on this forum. The only reason I can think that they haven't done so is it that keeps their options open to change upgrade prices willy nilly without feeling the need to be responsive to the inevitable criticism that frequently erupts on cruise critic when they do something that violates expectations (whether justified or not) on the part of their booked passengers.

Wouldn't it just make things so much easier and clearer if Celebrity would just publish an explicit, definitive statement regarding upgrade costs and policies for their drink packages? The topic of prices to upgrade prior to vs after cruise commencement is consuming far too much space on this forum. The only reason I can think that they haven't done so is it that keeps their options open to change upgrade prices willy nilly without feeling the need to be responsive to the inevitable criticism that frequently erupts on cruise critic when they do something that violates expectations (whether justified or not) on the part of their booked passengers.

If you've ever looked at their web page, the answer is obvious. They only hirer the IT people that couldn't make it on the RCCL page. :eek:

Really, I think they are fully consumed with keeping the booking page current and workable. That apparently is an overwhelming task. :rolleyes:

That being said, you may be right about leaving themselves open to make unannounced changes. ;) I feel sorry for those who don't frequent these pages and only find out about changes once on board. They are very confused. :confused:

Edited by mpbmark

I called Celebrity last week and asked them about upgrading my classic alcohol pkg to premium and they said it was an $11.50/pp per day standard charge regardless of when/where it was upgraded.

HTH!

That is correct. Upgrade cost has not changed. What did change is the cost to purchase a package on board. The increase for the premium package went from $54.50 to $59 per person per day. Not sure about other packages.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the Infinity and there were no discounts, and advertised prices were the higher 'on board' ones. A big big push for selling them too. I had a bad experience with a bar waiter who wouldn't take no for an answer.

I can confirm that upgrading from classic to premium is $10/day + gratuity (it was advertised in the CELEBRITY Today).

Hi - we are travelling with celeb in 2 weeks time and have not booked a drinks package as I have been told they generally drop the cost once you are on board in an effort to get more people to buy......is this not now the case?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

If you buy onboard and you currently do not have a package the price will be higher then pre-buying it. I have not seen where they have discounted it.

It doesn't matter if you a sticker or not. The sticker really doesn't mean much as the server always swipes your card and that lets them know if and what package you have. If they get to know you they will just hit a key on the computer that is like a fast key that accesses your account.

There are advantages and disadvantages of booking on board. If you have SBC you can use it. The disadvantage is at the end of the cruise they can keep you from disembarking if you have any unpaid balances on your folio. If you pay in advance the charge is independent of your contract. That is why the charge when made in advance is not connected to your final payment. They can prevent you from boarding if your fianl payment is not paid in full. They cannot prevent you from boarding if you didn't pay the balance on any thing like tours, bev packs and etc. Pay in advance and you don't have to pay until you get that bill on your cc. On board it can still be charged to your cc but if you run into a cc block you can be in trouble if you can't produce a payment. Strange things do happen.

.🎅🎄

That is correct. Upgrade cost has not changed. What did change is the cost to purchase a package on board. The increase for the premium package went from $54.50 to $59 per person per day. Not sure about other packages.

And the Classic package price went from $44.00 per day to $49.00 per day - if purchased on board.

Non alcoholic packages increase $2.00 per day on board.

It is my understanding that if you received the 123 promo for a beverage package, you must upgrade all cabin passengers if you upgrade before the cruise. When upgrading to the premium package while onboard you will only have to upgrade a single card.

My DW usually only drinks simple beverages which will be covered under the classic package while I enjoy the martini bar and molecular bars.

It is a great opportunity to try new drinks.

It is my understanding that if you received the 123 promo for a beverage package, you must upgrade all cabin passengers if you upgrade before the cruise. When upgrading to the premium package while onboard you will only have to upgrade a single card.

My DW usually only drinks simple beverages which will be covered under the classic package while I enjoy the martini bar and molecular bars.

It is a great opportunity to try new drinks.

This is not correct. I just called the other day. We have the 123 promotion, and I was able to upgrade only myself, and not my wife, for the $11.50 per day. You just have to call the cruise enhancements dept. it was real easy.